• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Augustyn has returned!
This is a nice little story you're piecing together, I look forward to it's influence on in-game events.
I apologise on behalf of the rest of the lurkers :rolleyes:

I'm glad you like the story so far. As for in-game events, it's more of other way around. I take events in the future and try to explain how those events happen. Though the slow pace may not make it so obvious :p. No need to apologize since I'm content with people even bothering reading the AAR. I also wouldn't mind if you send in another character through PM. I recently have a new idea and could use a few more characters.

Section II

Chapter 21 (part 6)

[February 18, 1356]

(Arad, Hungary)

Augustyn: What do you mean by that?
Caravello: I meant it by what I said. You could say I have them disposed of.
Augustyn: Normally, I would arrest you for that. In this case, I would like to thank you.
Caravello: No need to thank me. I have my own personal reasons for this.
Sophie: So my father and I are safe?
Caravello: Not by a long shot. They want you dead. Once the first group is dead, they will send another.
Sophie: So we are never safe?
Caravello: You are never safe unless you rid the root of the problem.
Augustyn: What the root of the problem?
Caravello: The Papacizza family.
Augustyn: Aren't they the ruling family in Venice?
Caravello: They are, I'm impressed you would know. Hungary and Venice don't have much diplomatic channels.
Augustyn: Sophie, who are you?
Caravello: It's obvious she isn't willing to tell you. Instead, I'll tell you.
Sophie: You have no right.
Caravello: I have every right. Your father and I were childhood friends. He even saved my life once. I need to make sure you two are safe. This Augustyn fellow seems like your best chance.
Sophie: Can't you offer us protection?
Caravello: I can only do so much. The Papacizza family are richer than me. If they bribed the city officials enough, you two would be dead for sure.
Augustyn: Don't talk so lowly of the city officials.
Caravello: I've been here longer than you, young man. I've seen enough to make you puke. Remember, ducats make everything go smoothly. When you have lots of ducats, the disappearance of two people isn't that hard. Tracking them down is the hard part. If the people sent after Sophie are professionals, they would have already informed Venice. Once they stopped receiving word, they would know that these two are here.
Augustyn: I will organize the horses now. We need to get these two out of here.
Caravello: Good, please take good care of them.
Augustyn: Aren't you worried that they might come after you?
Caravello: No need to worry about that. They don't recognize me and thus won't be a problem with me. If you can sneak these two out quietly, they might never catch wind ever again.
Augustyn: I thank you for aiding Sophie so far. I wish there's a way to repay you.
Caravello: There is one way. If your family can invest in our markets here, it will make me more money.
Augustyn: Alright, I'll do that once I get Sophie and her father to safety. However, I need some more information from you.
Caravello: Ask away.
Augustyn: Who is Sophie?
Caravello: Her family is of the Contarini. Have you heard of them?
Augustyn: If I'm not mistaken, they were labelled as traitors last year.
Caravello: Indeed, these two are the only known survivors so far. At least, the only known survivors I know of.
Sophie: Augustyn, I didn't want you to know any of this. My father and I wanted to start fresh here.
Caravello: If you wanted to start fresh, you should've headed further north in Russia. Now, I would say your fate has tangled up with Augustyn's.
Augustyn: Yeah, we will never separate now. Not now, not ever.
Caravello: You two can talk later. Augustyn, you prepare the transportation. I will get my cooks to prepare the meals. The sooner you three can leave here, the better. I do have a nagging question though.
Augustyn: What is it?
Caravello: Can we trust those you came with? You sure they won't leak any information?
Augustyn: Don't worry about them. You see, they came with me from Buda. When we leave, then nobody else other than you will know. I didn't tell the local officials.
Caravello: Good, good!

Sophie follows Caravello back to meet with her father while Augustyn starts making the preparation.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 21 (part 7)

[February 18, 1356]

(Roma, The Papal State)

Three men gather in a dining hall in a small monastery.

Bishop: I have just received news from our agents. Our gamble has finally paid off.
Abbot: We have discovered the treasures?
Bishop: Of course, the records discovered in Jerusalem proved to be reliable. It wasn't easy trying to break the code used but we have done it. At least, we've broke a small segment of it.
Abbot: With that small segment, we can recover all the treasures they stole from us.
Bishop: I'm afraid we only discovered a small cache. If we want to recover all of it, we still need more time and resources.
Abbot: Those blasted Templars kept their secrets well, especially after they betrayed the church. I was starting to lose hope in recovering any of the treasures. When can we retrieve this treasure? I've only heard rumors but I have never seen one personally.
Bishop: It's not that easy. We have discovered roughly the whereabouts of the treasure. As for the exact location, we have yet to determine that. We still have a lot of work ahead of us.
Abbot: Here you got my hopes up. Who will be heading the task of retrieving this treasure then?
Monk: I will.
Abbot: I was wondering why you are here. Bishop, is he reliable? This isn't a small task and failure isn't an option.
Bishop: Don't underestimate him. He is someone I can trust to get the job done. He has accomplish quite a few tasks that you may have heard about.
Abbot: Such as?
Bishop: Remember the accident of the last bishop?
Abbot: Yes, it was truly a tragic accident.
Bishop: He did a good job, didn't he?
Abbot: What? That cannot be possible. There was no clues of a murder.
Bishop: I never said he was murdered. I merely said that my friend here had a hand in it.
Abbot: So, where is the rough location?
Bishop: They narrowed it down to the border of Hungary and Transylvania.
Abbot: That's a lot of distance to cover.
Bishop: It is.
Monk: I will get the job done.
Bishop: I know you will. However, your task will be harder this time.
Abbot: Why?
Bishop: We mustn't let the pope find out. He would never approve of our plans.
Monk: What if ....
Bishop: Don't be foolish! The death of a pope would bring about chaos within the church. Even I cannot predict what will happen at the end.
Abbot: Indeed, a dead pope could bring about wars. Though, how does that hinder the monk's chances in succeeding?
Bishop: Hungary is a distant place and we have a lot of territory to cover. Sparing too many men will be suspicious and thus he will be stuck with a small group.
Monk: That won't stop me.
Bishop: I hope so. You may leave us to prepare for your trip. I still have some private issues to discuss with our abbot here.

The monk leaves quietly and closes the door behind him.

Bishop: I have some tasks for you as well.
Abbot: I am at your service.
Bishop: Go to Venice. There is a business agreement we have with the ruling family there. Go there and take care of it.
Abbot: What is the business agreement about?
Bishop: You will be notified once you meet our agent there. Only thing I can tell you is that this agreement is of the utmost importance. Completing it will bring us several steps close to dominating all of Italy.
Abbot: Understood, I will start packing for my trip as well.
Bishop: Good, don't fail. Otherwise, you will encounter, how should I say it, an unfortunate accident.
Abbot: Yes, bishop.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 21 (part 8)

[February 18, 1356]

(Arad, Hungary)

Sophie and Caravello return back to the room where Francisco is chatting with the officials that came with Augustyn. As soon as Caravello enters the room, everyone become silent.

Caravello: Carry on with your conversations.
Francisco: ...
Caravello: You were making fun of me, weren't you?
Francisco: Of course not, you're my best friend.
Caravello: Here I thought you finally grew up. Yet, you remain a child.
Sophie: You got that right!
Francisco: Sophie, whose side are you on?
Sophie: I'm just stating a fact. I didn't do anything wrong.
Caravello: Ya, stop being so childish. Act a little bit more mature please.
Francisco: Where's your fiancé, Sophie?
Sophie: He's not my fiancé.
Francisco: Pebbles, is Augustyn her fiancé?
Pebbles: Meow! :)
Sophie: You're a traitor, Pebbles.
Pebbles: Meow! :mad:
Sophie: Don't you get angry with me, Pebbles. You deserved that!
Pebbles: Meow. :(
Sophie: Sorry, Pebbles. I don't mean to yell.

Sophie walks over and lifts Pebbles up. The two cuddle together while Caravello walks over to Francisco.

Caravello: You'll be leaving soon. Your future son-in-law will take care of everything.
Francisco: It was nice seeing you again. Too bad we have to depart so soon.
Caravello: We'll have a chance to meet again. Don't you worry.
Francisco: I've been thinking. I feel I have an obligation to my family.
Caravello: I was in your shoes once. Revenge is a terrifying thing. Don't let it engulf you. If I were you, I would start a new life.
Francisco: I'm getting tired of watching over my back all the time. There's only one way to solve this problem.
Caravello: If enough time passed, you will get peace.
Francisco: I hope you are right. I am getting too old for this.
Caravello: Going from a baby to an old man. Your mood swings are amazing.
Francisco: Very funny.

Augustyn stands at the doorway and signals everyone that it's time to go.

Francisco: Goodbye, my friend.
Caravello: Goodbye.
Sophie: Thank you for helping us!
Pebbles: Meow!
Caravello: Don't mention it. I just hope our paths will cross again.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 21 (part 9)

[February 18, 1356]

(Outskirts of Turda, Transylvania)

Cato and Richard get onto their horses and wave farewell to Lezeu. After a short discussion, they decide that it's best to have Cato carry the small chest with him. The two direct their horses in the rough direction pointed by the general. After an hour of riding, the two men hear some horses quite nearby.

Soldier: I saw them here! Come on! We'll get their heads and earn a nice reward.

Cato signals Richard to continue on their way. Slowing or stopping would only increase the chance of them getting captured. The two men somehow eluded those chasing after them and arrive at a large river.

Cato: I wasn't expecting Martin's men to be here already.
Richard: Listening to their accent, I think they are born in Transylvania. I'd say these are the men that want the war.
Cato: They must had someone amongst Lezeu's midst. How else would they be notified so quickly.
Richard: I'm not worrying them right now. Finding a way to get downstream is priority right now.
Cato: Too bad Lezeu doesn't know anything. I guess a general doesn't know everything.
Richard: His suggestion isn't that bad. Going downstream to southern Transylvania and then turn westwards. We can avoid Partium altogether and arrive in Szolnok.
Cato: Let's figure out how to get to southern Transylvania first. I worry about walking along the river. We are so exposed.
Richard: We have no choice. I can only hope that they think we are trying to get back to Partium. If that's the case, then they might not look this far.
Cato: I hope so. Trying to throw off these soldiers in unfamiliar territory isn't an easy task.
Richard: Agreed. Let's go.

The two men continue on their way walking down the river. Other than a few wildlife, they haven't seen any other living things. After a few more hours, the sun starts to set. Cato and Richard decide to set up camp under a large tree so they and their horses can rest for the next day. Cato and Richard sit down to eat the meal prepared by the noble from Transylvania. After the meal, Cato starts a chat with Richard.

Cato: I think it's going to rain tomorrow. We're going to be soaked.
Richard: That might not be as bad as you think.
Cato: What do you mean?
Richard: Yes, we'll be soaked. However, the rain will cover our tracks. Not to mention that it's less likely they'll hear us.
Cato: I guess so. What we need is a small town where we can get a boat.
Richard: They might be wary of us.
Cato: People say that ducats talk everywhere. It would do the same here as well.
Richard: Now that we have nothing left to do, I'm curious about something regarding you.
Cato: Ask away!
Richard: Is there a woman you love? You haven't been actively looking for someone in Debrecen.
Cato: That's a bit personal.
Richard: I'm single. See, I'm not too embarrassed to admit it.
Cato: Alright, there was someone I had a crush on. I left her without telling her how I feel for her.
Richard: Oh dear, you will see her once all this is over?
Cato: She's in Venice. I'm pretty sure she would be married by then.
Richard: You aren't young anymore. I think you should start looking for a wife.
Cato: We could potential face our end here and all you can think of is a wife. I envy you.
Richard: Once you live to be my age, you wouldn't be that pessimistic.
Cato: How old are you, anyways?
Richard: Never ask an old man how old he is!
Cato: Alright, grandpa.
Richard: Very funny.
Cato: Let's sleep now. We have a long day tomorrow.
Richard: You're right!

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 22 (part 1)

[February 19, 1356]

Cato and Richard wake up to the sound of rain. After stretching a bit, both men get up and start eating breakfast. Following the brief breakfast, the two men continue on their way. The horses make good time despite the muddy conditions along the way. Both men are soaked to the bone when they catch sight to a small village. The only signs of life in the village is the cattle that hid under a straw roof. Given how hard it was raining, Cato knows that no one is willing to be stuck outdoors. As the two men get closer to the village, Cato hears a sound nearby.

Woman: Help!
Cato: Do you hear that?
Richard: I can hear the rain just fine.
Cato: I'm not talking about the rain, idiot. Let me check.

Cato gets off his horse and walks carefully towards the river.

Cato: Is someone there? Can you make a sound?
Woman: Help!

Cato follows the sound and crawls carefully to the edge of the river. He looks over the edge and sees a woman barely hanging to a tree root. Cato gets onto his stomach and slithers closer to the woman.

Cato: Give me your hand.
Woman: I can't. I can barely hang on.
Cato: Trust me! You can't hang on forever. Give me your other hand first.

The woman tries her best. Still short of reaching Cato's hand.

Woman: I can't reach you.
Cato: Don't give up! Try one more time!

The woman reaches again and Cato is able to grab her this time.

Cato: Richard! Give me a hand! Pull me!
Richard: What did you get yourself into this time.

Richard gets onto his knees and pulls Cato back. Cato, unwilling to let go of the woman's hand, makes the progress rather slow. After a few minutes, all three people lay on their back to get a rest.

Woman: Thank you so much! I don't know how I can thank you. What's your name?
Cato: I'm Dominik. What's yours?
Woman: I'm Andra.
Cato: That's a beautiful name.
Andra: You think so?
Richard: Let's save the flirting for later.
Cato,Andra: We weren't flirting!
Richard: Said the love birds. Let's go to that village. We all need to get out of this rain.
Andra: Luckily for you two, I live there. Let's go to my home.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 22 (part 2)

[February 19, 1356]

The two men follow Andra into the village. Walking past a few houses, Andra goes up to a house.

Andra: Father! I'm home!

A man suddenly pushes open to door and hugs his daughter.

Man: You know how worried I am about you? Where were you?
Andra: I got stuck along the way. Then I fell into the river.
Father: What? You fell into the river?
Andra: If it weren't for this man, I would've died.

Andra pulls Cato up to meet her father.

Andra: Father, this is Dominik. Dominik, this is my father.
Father: Thank you so much, Dominik. I don't know how I can repay you.
Andra: You could agree to our marriage.
Cato, Father: What?
Richard: I hate to interrupt your talk of marriage but I would be more than happy enough to have a roof over my head.
Andra: Oh, I apologize. Father, shouldn't we invite them in?
Father: Right! Where are my manners? Please come in!
Richard: About our horses.
Father: We have a stable in the back. You can take your horses there. I will bring some dry clothes.

Andra goes to her room while the two men head to the stable. The father soon brings some dry clothes which the two men change into quickly. Once they are in dry clothes, they enter the house with the father to gather around the fire in the main room.

Andra: So, how about my marriage with Dominik?
Father: You only just met him.
Andra: He saved my life. Isn't that enough?
Father: First, we must know if he's married or not.
Richard: He's as single as one can get.
Cato: I can talk, you know?
Richard: That's why you're silent this whole time. Don't worry. I'm trying to aid you.
Father: What's his profession?
Richard: He's currently a mayor of a major city in Hungary.
Andra: Why are you here then?
Richard: He's trying to stop a war.
Andra: That's so amazing! I can't believe I was saved by a hero.
Richard: Soon to be hero.
Cato: If we can survive this.
Richard: Where's your confidence? Stop being so pessimistic.
Father: And you are?
Richard: I'm his most trusted adviser. My name is Richard.
Andra: You must be reliable if he travels with you.
Richard: Yes, he would be lost without me.
Andra: When are we leaving for Hungary?
Father: I haven't agreed to the marriage yet.
Andra: Father!
Father: Let me sleep on it.
Andra: It's still morning.
Father: I know. We will speak of this tomorrow. End of discussion.

The father heads to his room leaving the other three people by the fire.

Richard: You are hopeless, Dominik. Why didn't you try to persuade your future father-in-law?
Cato: You didn't give me a chance to talk.
Richard: Blame me for everything. Thanks!
Andra: Dominik, your adviser helped. I'm sure we'll get through to my father.
Cato: This isn't the best time for a marriage.
Andra: Why not?
Cato: My life is at risk. I cannot guarantee anything.
Richard: That's true. However, ...

A scream nearby interrupts the conversation.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 22 (part 3)

[February 19, 1356]

Cato and Richard immediately head for the door to see what's happening outside. The father of Andra, hearing the scream, comes outside as well. In the distance, Cato and Richard see men on horses in the distance. It becomes obvious that these are soldiers. A young boy is running down the street when Richard stops him.

Richard: Who are they?
Boy: Run for your life! The soldiers are here to kill and pillage!

The boys continues to run. Richard turns around to speak with everyone else.

Richard: Looks like we have trouble. Some soldiers are attacking this village. We must get out of here.
Cato: Here I thought we can stay dry for the rest of the day. Andra, you and your father must pack your stuff.
Richard: No time. Just grab whatever is close. Me and Cato will get the horses ready. Us four will need to find a way out.
Andra: Father, let's get ready to leave.
Father: I'm getting too old for all this. I'm not as young as I was before. Let's go!

Cato and Richard head for the stable to get their horses. Cato makes sure that the chest is still where he left it and signals to Richard that he's ready. Andra and her father come outside not long after with two small bags.

Andra: We got the ducats that we saved. It's what we need the most.
Cato: Good, let's head out.
Solider: There's people here! Get them!

The group look at the street and sees a soldier. The soldiers charges towards them with his sword in hand. Cato thinks quickly and grabs a log on the ground. He chucks the log and it hits the soldiers in the head. The soldier falls off his horse and dies in the process. Richard leaps forward to calm the horse.

Richard: Good news is that we have 3 horses. Bad news is that we are discovered.

In the distance, they can hear the sound of horse hoofs creeping closer. The father helps Andra up onto the soldier's horse before grabbing the sword from the corpse.

Father: Go now! I'll stall them!
Andra: Father, don't!
Father: I've lived a long life. I'm satisfied with meeting your mother and having you. Dominik, take care of my daughter. I won't forgive you if you mistreat her.

With that, the father charges into the street to be a decoy.

Cato: Andra, your father is a hero. Let's not let his death be in vain.

Andra starts sobbing but nods her head. The trio get their horses into a trot and head in the opposite direction of Andra's father. Andra looks back one last time to see his father's back.

Andra: Thank you, father. I won't forget this day.

Luckily for the trio, the soldiers didn't block all the exits. The trio left the village without any problems and start their journey southwards. With the rain pouring down, the trio are soaked to the bone. Fearing that the soldiers might give chase, they dare not stop for a second. They ride on for two more hours before they found a cave. Cato signals them to head for the cave and, once Richard nods his head, the trio make their way into the cave. The day has darkened with the clouds in the sky.

Cato: Should we start a fire?
Richard: We should be far enough. If we still encounter the soldiers, then I guess even God wants us dead.
Cato: Andra, are you alright?
Andra: ...
Richard: You're an idiot. She just lost her father and you ask her such a stupid question.
Cato: I didn't mean it that way. I ...
Richard: Let's get a fire and explore this cave a bit. I don't mind drying off but I'm sure Andra wants her privacy.
Cato: You're right.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 22 (part 4)

[February 19, 1356]

(Somewhere South of Turda, Transylvania)

Cato and Richard make sure their horses are settled before light a torch. This was made possible thanks to Richard's expertise in keeping everything in his bag dry. With the torch, the cave initially appears to be roughly the size of a room. Once their eyes adjust the the flickering of the flames, they realize that a chamber is hidden behind a wall. The chamber is split by a wall and shows signs of people inhabiting it in the past. After they thoroughly explored the chamber, they find that it was abandoned. While there isn't any food for the trio, there are some clothes that still can be used. In addition, wood piles are available for a larger fire. Richard starts checking for any traps while Cato returns to Andra.

Cato: We found a large chamber in the back. Once Richard is sure there are no traps, we can go there.

Cato is heartbroken seeing Andra trapped in her sorrow. Hoping to cheer her up, he gets down on her knees and embraces Andra.

Cato: Let it out. I've lost my father and, like you, I tried to be strong. In the end, crying made me feel better.
Cato: Cry it out. I'm here with you.

Andra can no longer hold back her tears. She starts wailing and all Cato can do is hold her tight. After a while, Andra finally stops her crying but Cato refuses to let her go.

Richard: Come on, love birds. You two can embrace naked inside.
Cato: What are you talking about? :blush:

Andra lets out a small laugh.

Richard: Don't act so innocent. There's no traps inside. I'll be on one side of the chamber while you two stay on the other one. The wood piles are enough for us to start two fires.
Cato: No, I think I'll still give Andra her privacy. :blush:
Andra: I don't mind.
Cato: I do. Let's just go with my plan.
Richard: You do know that you will see her naked sooner or later, right?
Cato: Sometimes I wonder why I can't have someone else traveling with me. :blush:
Andra: Maybe next time, Dominik.

The three enter the chamber and Andra goes to her own side. While sitting naked beside the fire with Richard, Richard starts humming.

Cato: You seem relaxed.
Richard: Why shouldn't I be? There's a beautiful naked woman on the other side of the wall.
Cato: Don't you dare peek at her!
Richard: Protective, are you? Why don't you check on her?
Cato: Once she is dressed, I will. :blush:
Richard: Come on! Grow up, boy.
Cato: I'm going to stop talking to you.
Richard: Throwing a tantrum, are you? Sometimes I wonder how you survived to this day.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 22 (part 5)

[February 19, 1356]

(Pazin, Venice)

A man slips into a bar undetected. The customers inside doesn't pay him any attention as the man walks up to the bartender.

Man: Give me a quickly drink! I'm in a hurry.
Bartender: What's the hurry?
Man: The old man got in trouble with his son.
Bartender: Again?
Man: Of course. It won't be their last.
Bartender: Alright.

The bartender goes to the back to get a drink for the man. The man waits patiently until he gets the drink. He gulps down the whole thing quickly.

Man: I hope to find this son and give him a talk.
Bartender: That's easy. He's living upstairs. I bet he's asleep right now.
Man: I'll pay you after I see him.
Bartender: You pay now or I'll give you a beating.
Man: We're friends, right?
Bartender: You still owe me the ducats for the drink last time.
Man: God, you're hopeless. Fine, I'll pay you now.

The man pays the bartender and starts making his way to the stairs. As he climb the stairs, he finds his knees a bit weak. Thinking that he had a long trip, he doesn't pay too much attention to it. On the second floor, he heads to the only room with its door closed. He knocks.

Stranger: Enter!

The man walks in to see the room unlit. Before he can make out the person inside, the door suddenly closes behind him. Only then did the man realize that three people were in the room. To make matters worse, they don't look too friendly. The man tries to get his dagger out but dizziness overtook him.

Stranger: Don't struggle too much. Our poison is already working. Might as well say your prayers.
Man: You bastard!
Stranger: You know too much. We must rid you. We thank you for your service and maybe, just maybe, we'll meet again in Hell. Guards! Send him on his way.

The other two men got to work quickly. While one of them slit the man's throat, the other search the body. After a few minutes, the three men came away with nothing but a corpse.

Stranger: I guess he wasn't expecting us. One of you take care of the body. I promised the bartender that we wouldn't leave a mess behind.

One of the men lifts the corpse on his shoulder and starts making his way towards a window facing a dark alley. After a quick scan of the alley, he throws the body out the window and joins the others. The three men exit the bar without attracting any attentions. Considering the time, they know that the body wasn't going to be found until the very next day. By then, they would've been long gone without a trace.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 22 (part 6)

[February 19, 1356]

(Somewhere South of Turda, Transylvania)

With their clothes dried off, Cato, Richard and Andra sit around one of the fires. After the three ate their meals, they decide to pass the time with a chat.

Andra: I wish my father lived long enough to see his grandchildren.
Richard: I blame you, Dominik.
Cato: What did I do this time?
Richard: You should've came here sooner. Then you two would be likely have children already.
Cato: I don't even know what to say about you.
Andra: Where are we headed now?
Cato: We're heading to Buda, the Hungary capital city.
Andra: Are you going to see the king?
Cato: We have to. We must do our best to avoid the war between our two nations.
Andra: I heard rumors of war. If I didn't see the soldiers today, I wouldn't believe it.
Richard: Do you know which nation those soldiers belong to?
Andra: Sadly, yes. Those soldiers are led by a general called "The Pig."
Richard: The Pig?
Andra: He's a greedy fat man who is the cruelest man you can imagine. If it weren't for his decent capabilities in leading soldiers, he would never have been a general.
Cato: I'm shocked that he attack your village which is considered Translvanian territory.
Andra: The Pig doesn't care about those things. He can get away with it by claiming that we hide the enemies amongst us. There's no one to rebuke him when everyone is dead.
Cato: That bastard! He doesn't deserve to live.
Richard: Let's complete our mission first. When this is all over, we might pay The Pig a visit.
Cato: Alright, I'll teach him a proper lesson.
Andra: How are you two going to stop the war then?
Richard: We have some documents we need to show the king. With these documents, we can persuade the king that the viceroy of Partium has betrayed him.
Andra: These documents are in the chest, isn't it?
Cato: Yes, I'm afraid I lost the chest on our way here.
Richard: It's a shame. What are we going to do then?
Cato: I think I will head back home. I want to go to where my father is buried before heading to Buda. We may have lost the chest but I know God will show us a way to prevent the war.
Andra: Did you have any siblings?
Cato: I had an older brother. He, like my father, was killed.
Andra: How horrible!
Richard: The one that ordered their deaths is the viceroy of Partium.
Andra: So God is giving you a chance to avenge your family by preventing this war!
Cato: Yes, I will do anything to accomplish this task because the lives of a lot more people are at stake.
Andra: My hero!

Andra kisses Cato on the cheek.

Andra: I'm tired. I'm going back to my side to sleep. See you two tomorrow morning.

Andra walks to the other side and the trio start to sleep.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 22 (part 7)

[February 19, 1356]

(Pazin, Venice)

Two men stood over the corpse in the alleyway. One of them gets onto his knees to check the corpse carefully.

Ferenc: I'm afraid he was poisoned first. Then his throat was slit.
Oliver: Damn, I feel for him. Those are some of the worst ways to die.
Ferenc: I found it convenient that his body was found here.
Oliver: If I recalled correctly, the bartender and this dead guy were once great buddies.
Ferenc: The key word is once. I heard that, before he got his job, these two got into a fight.
Oliver: Should we find out how our friend died then?
Ferenc: You bet.

The two men walk towards the backdoor of the bar. Oliver takes out his toolkit and quickly opens the lock. Next, he gets out a small bottle of oil and lubricates the hinges. Ferenc takes out his dagger and pushes the door open slightly. Once he is sure no one is nearby, he pushes the door wider so both he and Oliver can enter. Oliver closes the door behind him once he enters and follows after Ferenc. The two creep quietly up the stairs until they are outside the bartender's room. The bartender has left a slit open. The slit is wide enough that Ferenc and see inside. The bartender is drinking and starts talking to himself.

Bartender: My friend, you are an idiot. You think I would help you after you stole my woman. No, my friend. I wanted you dead! However, I cannot do it myself. Otherwise, I won't be living in this city any longer. No, I needed someone else to do it. God, that chance was offered to me. Apparently, you pissed off one of your client and they came to me. You were good enough to escape Hungary but not good enough to cover your tracks. They offered a very nice reward if I could help them trap you. A nice profit and the death of the person I hate the most isn't an offer I would turn down. Now you are dead and rotting. I can finally get my woman. She won't need you now that you are dead. No, she is mine. All mine!

Then, Ferenc sees the bartender collapse onto the floor asleep. He signals to Oliver to follow him inside. Once inside, they tie the bartender up and Oliver finds a large sack to put the bartender in. Once everything is done, the two start carrying the bartender to the alleyway. The two men already have a cart waiting in the back and they simply throw the drunk into the cart. They throw the corpse in as well before making their way down the street. Considering how late it is, there isn't anyone on the street and they aren't worried about encountering any trouble.

Oliver: This bastard! Killed his best friend for a woman. I can't wait to see him getting what he deserves.
Ferenc: Yup, he is a bastard. At the moment, I'm not that worried about him. I'm worried about the people that came after our friend. They are sure persistent.
Oliver: What are we going to do?
Ferenc: We will get whatever information we can get from this drunk. Then, the boss will make the decisions.
Man: Fire!!!!

Ferenc and Oliver look back to see the bar they were in on fire.

Oliver: Wow, we are quite lucky. Stay there any later and we would've died in there.
Ferenc: Did you see how the fire was lit?
Oliver: Did you see that kid sticking his head out of the alleyway?
Ferenc: I sure did. He must have been paid to light the bar on fire.
Oliver: Bingo. Should we retrieve him?
Ferenc: I doubt he would know anything. If someone offers you ducats to start a fire, you take it.
Oliver: Let's leave here now. I'm worried they are still around.
Ferenc: Unlikely, I bet they left after they did the killing.
Oliver: Still, I don't mind sitting by a warm fire.
Ferenc: There's a big one behind us.
Oliver: I meant one that I could use to warm a drink.
Ferenc: I couldn't agree with you more.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 23 (part 1)

[February 20, 1356]

(Pazin, Venice)

The bartender wakes up to only find himself bound and gagged. Luckily for him, his captors haven't blindfolded him and he can take a look at his room. To his dismay, the room look like a cell inside a dungeon. There is a small window across from him but it's too small for him to fit through. Seeing that no light is entering through the window, he concludes that it's either still night time or early in the day. As he starts to ponder on how to escape, a door opens. Two men enter the room with one of them holding a torch.

Mark: Well, I guess our guest is awake. Now we can get down to business.
Bartender: ...
Mark: Not talking, are we? I guess we must use some force.

Mark looks at Ferenc who reaches into his bag. After a few minutes, Ferenc places all his tools onto a bench in front of the bartender. The bartender looks at the tools and sweat starts to drip down his forehead. The bartender recognizes that the tools used by butchers.

Ferenc: I hope you don't move around too much. My job is to remove the fat. If you moved too much, I may accidentally slice off an arm or two.

The bartender starts to struggle as he hopes to escape from the ropes binding him.

Ferenc: I told you not to move too much. Those ropes aren't going to come off that easily. I suggest you cooperate.

The bartender starts crying and nods his head.

Ferenc: You want to cooperate?

The bartender nods his head harder while trying to make a sound. Ferenc looks to Mark. Mark nods his head and Ferenc walks over to remove the gag. The bartender takes a deep breath.

Bartender: Please! I'll do anything! Don't kill me!
Mark: So you are willing to cooperate?
Bartender: Yes, I will.
Ferenc: Tell me, why did you kill your friend at your bar?
Bartender: I didn't kill him.
Mark: Looks like he's not telling the truth. I guess he wasn't serious about cooperating.

The bartender, seeing that Ference was about to gag him again, tries desperately to explain.

Bartender: No, please don't gag me. I meant I didn't kill him directly. Three men were chasing after him and they wanted him dead. They threatened me so I had no choice but work with them.
Ferenc: Interesting, that's wasn't what I heard.
Bartender: I'm telling the truth!
Ferenc: I heard you willingly aided them. After all, you would get his woman if he dies.
Bartender: That's all lies! That's not true.
Ferenc: Are you telling me you lied? After all, you told me myself.
Bartender: I never said that!
Ferenc: Looks like he's not truthful. I guess we will convince our friend here the consequences of lying.
Bartender: No. No!!! I'll tell the truth. The bastard stole my woman. I cannot forgive him for that. You understand, right?
Mark: Who sent those three men?
Bartender: They didn't tell me. However, I believe they were sent by the viceroy of Somogy.
Mark: How would you know that?
Bartender: He told me before heading off to his job in Hungary.
Mark: In return for his trust in you, you backstabbed him. Take care of this trash, won't you?

Mark leaves the room while Ferenc gags the bartender. The torture process took half a day and, when the bartender is bleeding slowly to his death, Ferenc leaves him alone. Later that day, the bartender dies from heavy blood loss. As for Mark, he is bent on revenge.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 23 (part 2)

[February 20, 1356]

(Pazin, Venice)

Ferenc washes his hands before going to Mark's study. Mark is looking out the window at the city he grew up in.

Mark: I've been living here nearly forever. I never thought I would ever leave here.
Ferenc: You're not considering going personally, are you?
Mark: I am. This has to end. They are slowly choking the life out of our organization. We have so many defecting over to the organization in Venice. If we don't take care of this, we will simply cease to exist.
Ferenc: I guess you're right. I just felt that the rest of the gang can take care of business.
Mark: And leave me out of the fun? No thanks. I'm willing to make the final gamble. Like an old general, I'm willing to enter what could be my final battle.
Ferenc: A battle fitting for you, I must say.
Mark: Let's get the gang together. We will pack everything we need and sell the rest for the ducats.
Ferenc: Alright, let's make it a memorable final moment.

Ferenc walks towards the door only to look back once more. Mark refuses to look Ferenc in the eyes and turns back to the view of the city of Pazin. After a brief moment, Ferenc continues on his way. He walks down the stairs to the hall where everyone is waiting.

Oliver: Are we going to pay them a visit?
Ferenc: Of course we are. Mark is coming too.
Oliver: No way!
Ferenc: The boss decides to make his move. The outcome of this mission determines the future of the organization.
Oliver: Well, I hope to learn from him then. I bet he has a thing or two up his sleeves.
Ferenc: Just don't get in the way, okay? This isn't a small mission where you won't get hurt. Not only can people die but we are in the enemy's territory.
Oliver: You underestimate me!
Ferenc: You overestimate yourself! Remember our friend who got killed by the bartender. He's experienced in the field and he still cannot survive.
Oliver: You might have a point there.
Ferenc: Listen to me and start packing. We will head out real soon. Pack everything you need. We're going to sell the rest of our stuff to get enough for the road and extra supplies.

Oliver heads to his room while Ferenc addresses everyone else.

Ferenc: You all heard me! Pack your stuff for the trip ahead. This isn't just a small mission we can do blindfolded. We'll be heading deep into enemy territory to kill a high official in Hungary. We will need to get through many defenses if we hope to kill the target. Everyone get rested these few days. When we head out, we don't know when we'll get a chance to gather together for a party.

With that, Ferenc leaves for his room. The gang starts talking amongst themselves but Ferenc didn't bother listening. He knows what the group would talk about and decides to make his own preparations. Before he heads for his room, he heads to a small room that serves as a chapel. He gets on his knees and prays to God. He remember the final talk with his father before the unfortunate accident.

Remember, son. We cannot decide on our past. However, we can determine our future. Even though it's a criminal organization, I suggest you to not look down at it. It's a way of living for us in rough times. Mark is a good man. He treats all the children here like his sons and daughters. He makes sure you can live long enough to learn the skills to survive. In return, you must be willing to give everything for him as well. My mission today could be dangerous but I want you to continue learning the ways. When I return, I hope you can show me your improvements from the last few lessons.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 23 (part 3)

[February 20, 1356]

(Temesvar, Transylvania)

The trio has followed the river on their horses for the whole afternoon. Andra has been silent the whole time and neither Cato nor Richard dared to break the silence. At around noon, Cato sees a city in the distance.

Cato: What's that city over there?
Richard: I'm not sure. Andra?
Andra: That's Temesvar. My father used to take me there for a festival held there once a year.
Cato: Should we buy some supplies there?
Richard: We would be noticed. Only Andra could get what we need.
Andra: You can count of me!
Cato: Maybe I should escort her.
Andra: I'll be fine. What do we need?
Richard: We need some food. I'd say enough food to last us three days. If we make good time, we should arrive in Arad in three days.
Andra: So we just need food?
Richard: Some clothes would help as well. We need to try to blend in with everyone else.
Cato: You sure you don't need me, Andra?
Andra: I'm sure. Stop worrying about me.
Cato: I guess us two can make sure the horses get fed. There's some plants on that hill which I'm sure our horses wouldn't mind eating.

Andra, after being given ducats from Richard, heads towards the city. Cato and Richard lead the three horses to the hill. While the horses graze, Cato points into the distance.

Cato: I think that's the direction we're going.
Richard: How can you be sure?
Cato: I've been keeping track of the direction of the river.
Richard: When have your sense of direction ever been accurate? Let's ask a local.

Richard walks towards an old man.

Richard: Excuse me! May I ask how do I get to Hungary?
Old man: You are hungry? I have no food.
Richard: Hun-ga-ry.
Old man: Hungary? You go that way.

The old man points in the same direction as Cato and starts walking away. Richard walks back to Cato.

Cato: What were you saying?
Richard: There's something wrong with that old man.
Cato: You mean the fact that he walks like he's twenty years younger?
Richard: I fear he might be alerting the guards.
Cato: That's not what we want, is it?
Richard: No, let's head into the woods and lay low until Andra returns.

Cato and Richard lead the horses to the woods. The horses are reluctant to leave their grazing field but they follow Cato and Richard anyways. Once inside the woods, the duo find a small clearing some distance from the edge of the woods. As soon as the horses are settled, the duo start crawling closer to the path when they hear horses. A Transylvania patrol, consisting of five men, has just arrived and starts looking for the duo. Two of the men from the patrol starts making their way into the woods. The two men close in on the duo but fail to detect the danger ahead of them. When they are really close, Cato and Richard take out their daggers and make quick word of the two soldiers. They quickly take the uniform off the soldiers and wear it themselves. They then make a signal to two of the soldiers on the path to come to them. The Transylvanian soldiers, unaware of what was happening, enter the woods only to be killed quickly. Cato and Richard then walk up to the leader of the patrol. The leader, busy counting the ducats in his pocket, reacts too late to the dagger until it's too late. The leader is carried over to join the other corpses. Cato then sends the horses packing while Richard searches the corpse. As luck would have it, Richard finds a detailed map of the area. Once Cato returns, they go over the map and decide upon their route to Hungary.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 23 (part 4)

[February 20, 1356]

(Temesvar, Transylvania)

Cato and Richard are discussing about their options when they see Andra returning. Andra is riding on a cart while she chats with a handsome young man. The two stop at the hill where Andra gets off the cart. She looks around for Cato and Richard. Just as she is giving up, she sees Cato coming out of the woods. She runs over to embrace him. Cato, unprepared for this embrace, finds that he has trouble forming speech.

Andra: I never thought I would see you again.
Cato: ...
Andra: You have nothing to say to me?
Cato: I said I should come with you.
Andra: I should've listened. If it weren't for that man there, I probably wouldn't have a chance to see you ever again.

Andra points to the man on the cart. As though taking that pointing as a signal, the man walks over.

Man: Hi there! So, you are the lucky man to have this woman as his wife. I envy you.
Cato: Who are you?
Andra: Dominik, where are your manners?
Man: No, he's right. I've forgotten my manners. You can call me David. From the way you're dressed, I would say you aren't popular with the local authorities.
Cato: What do you mean by that?
David: No need to hide from me. You are clearly not a local and those uniforms belong only to local authorities. Let's just say I have a history with the local authorities.
Cato: ...
David: I don't mind sharing with you some stories. However, I have a feeling they might be sending out another patrol to look for the first patrol.
Cato: Alright, I guess we have to trust you. After all, you have aided Andra and I'm thankful for that.
Andra: Let's talk less and start on our way then.

Cato leads Andra and David to where Richard is waiting at. After a brief introduction, the four people began to make their final preparations for the trip. David gets to work in gathering all his possessions in his cart and transfer it into his bag. He then, following the separation of the cart and his horse, gets onto his horse with the bag on his back. Andra and Cato have got onto their horses. They have to wait for Richard who is making a final search of the corpses of the patrol.

Cato: Let's go! Why are you still going through those bodies?
Richard: I want to make sure we are armed. I fear that we may encounter more patrols before we can get back to Hungary.
David: You are cautious, aren't you? I wouldn't blame you though. Reckless people don't live long lives.

Richard spends a few more minutes before getting on his horses. The four people starts their journey with Richard leading the way. As they turn on the fork in the road, a small patrol chases after them.

Richard: What bad timing! I shouldn't have wasted time earlier.
David: Don't worry. I got it covered.

With that, David takes out his crossbow from his bag. After loading a bolt, he twists away and aims. A few seconds later, the bolt finds her way in one of the soldiers. The other soldiers, seeing David reloading his crossbow, choose to not give chase anything. Richard gives David a thumbs up before focusing back on the road.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 23 (part 5)

[February 20, 1356]

(Pazin, Venice)

Mark walks over to a tombstone.

Mark: It's been a while since I came to see you. How I wish you were here with me. I've been very lonely. This is likely my last time here. I'm on a mission where I may not survive. The fate of my organization depends on the outcome of this mission. If you were here, I knew you wouldn't stop me. Instead, you would encourage me. You were always there when I needed you the most. You also gave up your life to save mine. I thought that day was the day we said our farewell. Yet, I found that we were still connected when I come here. As though you are still here, I can feel your presence and hear your voice here. Whenever I come here, I can leave calm and relaxed. I'm reluctant to leave our home but I have no choice. So I guess this is farewell. Leaving here, we may be separated forever. Where you have went, I cannot follow. Where I will be going, I cannot possibly speak with you anymore. I just want to use this last moment to talk with you one more time. I need to feel your presence and hear your voice. I must admit that I'm not entirely confident in succeeding in the mission. Please give me one last blessing. I know you are my guardian angel. Help me this one last time.
Ferenc: It's time to go!
Mark: You hear him, don't you? Time for my departure. Time for our final farewell. Goodbye, my love! Goodbye!

Mark turns around in tears. He doesn't dare to turn around fearing that he may not have the will to go. He has a mission and his gang needs him. The time has come for him to stage his final act.

(Temesvar, Transylvania)

The four people continue on their journey through the night. They are unwilling to take a chance of encountering Transylvanian patrols. Knowing that the patrols normally aren't active at night, they hope that they can cover lots of grounds and arrive at a safer location. The journey prove uneventful except for the occasional cry of wolves in the distance. Around midnight, the party hear war cries nearby. Richard orders everyone to get off their horses and points towards a small clearing in the woods. Everyone in the party get off their horse and quickly make their way to the clearing. Richard, after tying his horse to a tree, creeps towards the direction where he has heard the war cries. Creeping for a few minutes, Richard sees some torches in the distance. With better hearing than most, Richard hears the clash of steel. After a few more minutes, he finally, due to the torches, makes out the people involved in the fight. Both sides wear uniforms that Richard concludes as soldier uniforms. Richard immediately starts heading back to the trio to report his findings.

Cato: What did you find out?
Richard: Looks like the war has begun.
Cato: Already? I thought that the war would take a few more days.
Richard: I thought so too but I'm quite sure about who I saw there.
Andra: Oh dear, are we too late?
David: This could be good news as well.
Cato: How?
David: The war started today since I haven't heard about it before today. That means that we must be fairly close to the borders. After all, I doubt Hungary troops can get so deep into Transylvania territory in so little time.
Richard: That can work for us. However, we are racing against the clock. Transylvania cannot hold out against our forces forever.
Cato: Yes, but I think we have more time than you think. Remember, it's just the forces from our province. It will still take time.
David: You two seem to know a lot about the war.
Cato: Can we trust him?
Richard: I think so. We don't have a choice since we need him as our guide.
Cato: I guess you're right.
David: What do you two know?

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 24

[February 21, 1356]

(Hungarian-Transylvania border)

Cato: We used to work for the viceroy of Partium. When we learned of his plans to take over Transylvania, we decided to put a stop to it.
David: I see. That would explain how much you knew regarding the Hungarian army. So, he's the only one involved in all this?
Cato: Yes, he's been keeping a tight lid on all this. If the king knew about it, his conquest would end for sure.
David: I'm surprised he can keep it a secret from rest of Hungary.
Richard: You see, there are those in Transylvania that would welcome this war.
David: You're kidding! Who would want their nation to be stuck in a war?
Richard: There are those that believe they can benefit from the war. The drop in relations would greatly hinder the integration of Transylvania into Hungary.
David: By invoking war, they ensured that the integration would be set back several steps.
Richard: Correct! However, I think we need to get away from here first. We don't want to be caught in the crossfire.
Andra: I know a cave nearby. My father usually take me there to see the waterfall.
David: I know that cave too. As luck would have it, that cave has a passageway that's being used as a smuggling route into Hungary.
Cato: That's exactly what we need!
Richard: Silent!

Richard listens carefully and hears some men heading their way.

Richard: No time to talk. We must get away from here. They are close by.

David immediately frees the horses and sends them on their way. He then crouches down with the others. Richard looks a David with a smile and continues to listen to his surroundings. The nearby men, hearing the horses, starts pursuing the animals. Once Richard is sure they are far away, he continues the conversation.

Richard: Good thinking, David!
David: Let's save the compliments for later. I would rather get out of here. I'll lead the way to the cave.

Quietly, the party follows David as they make their way through the woods. The war cries from earlier have died down and the party concludes that the engagement is likely over. This is a dangerous period as they might encounter stray soldiers on their way to the cave. An encounter would give away their position and endanger their lives. An hour has passed and the party has been fortunate to avoid any soldiers. It is during this time that the party can hear the sound of water.

Andra: That's the waterfall I was talking about.
Cato: I'm worried about this place though.
Andra: Why?
Cato: If I was invading a foreign territory, I would make sure I have safe water supply. A waterfall would be one of those water supplies. We may have some problems up ahead.
David: I agree with you there. Luckily, I know a backdoor to the place. Chances are the soldiers wouldn't enter too deep into the cave if the water is more accessible outside.
Cato: I hope so. I doubt you can take down too many soldiers with your crossbow before they start cutting you down.
David: Don't worry about me! I can handle these so called soldiers. I've fought mercenaries that make them look like babies.
Richard: Less talking, more walking!
David: Alright!

David leads the party quietly through dense bushes until they arrives at a small cave entrance. David signals the others to wait outside as he enters alone. Few minutes later, he crawls back to the entrance.

David: As expected, the soldiers set up camp outside.
Andra: Wouldn't setting up camp inside the cave be better?
Cato: Not if you want to be surrounded and be starved to death. These soldiers have the brains to think of that scenario. I'm a bit glad that we don't have to deal with them.
David: Me too. I saw one of them returning from a hunt and he has some pretty good catches. These guys deserve more credit than I've given them.
Cato: Let's go! I want to be inside Hungarian territory as soon as possible.
David: Agreed!

David leads the party down the narrow passageway until they come to a fork. The party goes to the left passageway and continues forward in complete darkness. Given that the passageway is well made, the party still cover lots of grounds despite how narrow it is and they soon see an exit with light shining through. David once again goes forward first to check on things. Not long after he goes through the exit, he calls back towards the rest of the party.

David: Let's go! The weather here looks great!

Everyone else start making their way through the exit. Once they are outside, they see themselves on a cliff overlooking a forest and a city stood in the distance. The sun, as David stated earlier, is shining brightly.

David: If I'm correct, I would say we have entered Hungary.
Cato: I agree with you. That city over there is Arad.
David: How do you tell?
Cato: I've passed through that city in the past. It's situated on a small plateau which seems to make the city rise above the forest.
Andra: We are heading there, right?
Cato: No, we will be bypassing it and make our way directly to Buda. When this is all over, I'll take you to Arad.
Andra: I'd like that.

Andra give Cato a kiss on the cheeks before following Richard and David down a narrow pathway. Cato follows them as they make their way down the mountain to the main road below. The downhill trek proves to be tougher than expected but the party still arrive at the bottom at midday. Just as they make their way to the main road, they across a trading caravan. Richard walks towards them when two men from the trading caravan draw out their swords.

Richard: I mean you no harm. I just hope we can purchase some food off you. We haven't eaten for a long time and need some food. We have ducats to pay for the food as well.
Guard: Those three are with you then?
Richard: Yes, we are traveling to Buda to see the king. However, we lost our horses and our food. Luckily, we still have ducats on ourselves to buy food.

At that moment, a cat jumps off one of the carts and walks towards Richards.

Pebbles: Meow! :)
Richard: Hi there! Nice to meet you!
Francisco: It's been too long, my friend. I didn't expect to see you robbing me.

Richard sees a man getting off the cart. At first, he doesn't recognizes the man.

Francisco: I see. You forgot about me. I'm not surprised. I'm Francisco. Does that remind you of something?
Richard: Wait, your father used to be my father's boss, isn't he? Last I heard, your family was hunted down and killed.
Francisco: There are survivors. So, why are you here?
Richard: I need to see the Hungarian king. I have important information that I'm sure he would want to know.

Augustyn and Sophie get off the cart as well. Sophie gets her cat while Augustyn joins the two men.

Augustyn: What's so important that the king must know of?
Richard: And you are?
Francisco: This is my future son-in-law. Let's get to the point, shall we?
Cato: I'll explain.

Cato surprises Francisco and Augustyn as they hadn't expected him to creep up on them.

Richard: This is Dominik. He's the one that discovered the information.
Cato: The viceroy of Partium wishes to take Transylvania all for himself. To do so, he has kept the war a secret.
Augustyn: I always knew he was a snake. To think that he would try this. I will take you two to the king then.
Richard: I thank you. However, we aren't going to cover lots of grounds with the carts.
Augustyn: Don't worry about those. In an hour, we will have everything prepared.

Richard and Cato return to Andra and David and explain to them that they would be traveling with the trading caravan. Once the party get on the cart, the caravan continues on her way. While the party eats the food they were given hungrily, Francisco tells Richard of his misfortunes.

Francisco: My family has always been liked in Venice since we use our wealth to aid those in need. However, there are other families that saw our actions weak. They longed to remove us from power so they can take our wealth. Thus, they banded together with the criminal organization there to put some false evidence on some of the trading ships we owned. The evidence would be used to show that we were joining forces with foreign powers to take over Venice. We weren't given a chance to prove our innocence as they quickly began the slaughter. My daughter and I managed to get out thanks to my wife's sacrifice.
Richard: Looks like they haven't changed one bit. Venice is definitely a cruel place to live in.
Francisco: The power struggle has become more intense since the arrival of the Papacizza family.
Richard: I assume that you were still running until your daughter agreed to marry Augustyn?
Sophie: I haven't agreed to anything.
Francisco: Their marriage is guaranteed. However, we need to make sure that the Papacizza stop sending people after us.
Augustyn: I'll make sure that you and Sophie will remain safe. You can count on it.
Richard: You found a fine son-in-law.
Francisco: What's your story?
Richard: Not much. I escaped with my friends to Hungary. We started making a living off selling services and wares. We had a peaceful life until Dominik entered our lives.
Cato: You say that as though it's a bad thing.
Richard: I'll just say he made our lives that much more exciting.
Augustyn: Enough talk, we should get on our way. Everybody get off the cart.

Following Augustyn's orders, the group get off the party to see themselves facing an infantry company.

Augustyn: I don't like being out where I'm vulnerable. So, I requested some soldiers to escort me back. Let's go! I hope you all know how to ride on horses.

Without another word, everyone get on a horse and start on their way. With the soldier escort, the group covers lots of ground. Everyone remain quiet the whole time as they don't want to waste time on the road. Clouds start to gather above them soon. The rain comes down hard not long after but the group continued their journey. They hope to make it to the Pecs-Szolnok border so they can make it to the Hungarian capital the very next day. After a few hours of traveling in rain, the group arrive at a military camp. They dry off before eating their dinner. Then, they head to bed so they can start early the very next day.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 25 (part 1)

[June 13, 1349]

(Azow, Genoa)

A boy is running across the steppe to save himself. He and his friends have wanted an adventure and venture into the steppes secretly. Once they were outside the protection of the town walls, they discover the dangers. As they climb over a hill, a northern lynx greets them by instantly taking one of them down. The children, seeing one of their friends dead with blood dripping out of his neck wound, start screaming and runs for the town. Their screams, however, alerts the nearby Mongol hunters.

The hunters belong to a tribe that have the Mongolian blood flowing in them. With the Mongols losing power in the region and the Golden Horde, considered as what's left of that mighty empire, losing control of many of their coastal territories, the hunters can only rely on themselves. The lives for these hunters were fine until the arrival of the Genoese traders. The Genoese traders built large forts in the region and began to carve out the land to suit their needs. Much of their lands were originally the hunting grounds for the tribes. When the tribes sent representatives, the Genoese trades simply killed them and hung their heads at their gates. These acts sparked hatred between the Mongol people and the Genoese. If given a chance, the Mongols wouldn't hesitate to avenge their fallen brothers.

As luck would have it, the children that left the safety of the forts are prime objectives for the Mongols. The defenseless children are to become the future of the settlements in Azow. If the Mongols can kill them, then they could teach the traders that they are not welcomed here. Thus, the Mongol hunters, numbering about ten, begin their chase and take out their bows. With careful aim, they unleashed a volley that saw ten children fall. Out of the ten children, only three of them are still breathing. Meanwhile, the six other children continue their run from danger. The three children that are still breathing would soon find themselves thrown onto horses before they are carried to the Mongol camps. The rest of the hunters, who are not busy with taking the children back home, continue their hunt. On their horses, they close easily with most of the children and cut them down instead.

There is only one boy that continues to run. The Mongols have never seen a person run so far, let alone a child. However, they weren't willing to give up the chance to kill the boy. The boy is quite close to the fort and the hunters could see flurries of movements on the fort walls. Clearly, the trade have heard the screams and rush to their walls. A woman on the wall, assumed to be the mother of the boy, is yelling at the top of her lungs. The hunters decide not to waste time watching the spectacles and urge their horses forward. The boy is closing in on the fort gate but he still cannot outrun a horse. With the hunters gaining on him, the defenders on the wall starts unleashing their volleys of arrows. The defenders' aim is terrible and none of the arrows meet their mark.

The boy, seeing that he is almost at the gates, begins to relax. Suddenly, he hears and hooves behind him and turns around. He sees only a single hunter charging right at him on the horse. The boy quickly turns around to start running but his brief hesitation allowed the hunter to close the gap. The hunter lets go an arrow that would go right through the boy's left knee. As the hunter reloads, an arrow from the wall hits him in the shoulder. Fearing that he would take another arrow, the hunter backs off and joins his brothers. The young boy, bleeding non-stop from his knee, uses his every strength to crawl towards the gates. The defenders, seeing the hunters backing off, immediately open the gate to aid the boy. Out of the sixteen children that sneak outside the fort walls, there is only one survivor. In addition, the defenders only manage to retrieve twelve bodies since the hunters took three. This is a horrific tragedy for a town with a population of roughly two thousand. The boy would be unable to use his left feet for the rest of his life. The boy's name is Christopher.

[February 22, 1356]

A young man limps into the shop.

Christopher: I need some supplies for my trip.
Shopkeeper: Well, if it isn't Christopher. What supplies do you need? Are you heading back to Genoa?
Christopher: No, I've joined the expedition.
Shopkeeper: Expedition into the wild? Are you crazy? Do I need to remind you that you walk with a limp?
Christopher: This limp is the reason why I must go. I have to settle a score.
Shopkeeper: I guess I can't persuade to not go. What do you need?
Christopher: Here's the list.

Christopher hands over a list and the shopkeeper immediately gets to work. After gathering everything, the shopkeepers returns to the front desk.

Shopkeeper: Everything you need are here. That would be two hundred ducats.
Christopher: Thank you!

Christopher pays the ducats before putting all the supplies in the large bag he has on him. After saying farewell to the shopkeeper, Christopher makes his way to the town square where everyone is waiting.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 25 (part 2)

[February 22, 1356]

(Azow, Genoa)

Christopher limps towards the town square where many youths have already gathered at. Christopher tries to spot his friends but, as expected, none of them decide to join him. Christopher doesn't blame them though. After the incident, Christopher makes new friends who have just arrived in Azow with their families. However, the families were told of the incident and the children were forbidden to leave the fort walls. Even though the children have grown up into adults now, they are simply too scared due to the stories told to them by their parents when they are small. Christopher has the guts to go because he wants revenge. He knows that, should he have no limp, he could accomplish many things. The fact that he is partly crippled results in him being looked down upon. For Christopher, revenge is the only answer to his problems. If he succeeds, he would return a hero. If he dies, he would be free from being a cripple.

As Christopher limps through the crowds, no one pays any attention to him. The other men, having heard about what happened to Christopher, merely laughs at the misfortune of the young man. Being new arrivals, the men think the original inhabitants in the area are too soft. The Mongols are believed to be weak and that they would finally be kicked out. Christopher knows better. He has seen firsthand what the Mongols were capable of. He is certain that most of the men won't return from the expedition. Still, he is happy that the men have arrived. In numbers, they might just be able to take out the Mongols. A short while later, Christopher sees the mayor standing on a small makeshift stage.

Mayor: Christopher! I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see you here. Are you ready for the expedition?
Christopher: I sure am. I'm not so sure about everyone else though. They appear to underestimate the Mongols too much.
Mayor: Maybe it's you that overestimate them. You were a child when they attacked you. I understand that, at the time, they appear ferocious and seemed invincible. I can assure you that we will prove that they are anything but invincible.
Christopher: Mayor, I am confident with my belief. These Mongols, despite appearing like savages, are not to be taken lightly. We might have two hundred men here but the Mongols know their lands well.
Mayor: I understand your concern. As I said earlier, I will prove to you that the Mongols will suffer a terrible fate once they meet us in battle.
Christopher: If they are foolish to take us face on, then they deserve to die. That will likely not be the case.
Mayor: You are so pessimistic sometimes. I am a busy man which means I need to address everyone else. Please stand aside so everyone can hear me.
Christopher: Understood.

Christopher walks to the edge as he shakes his head. Still, he is determined to go. If he must die, he will at least die in battle. The mayor begins his speech.

"Brave men of Azow! We gather here to start our expedition to wipe out the Mongols in our province. For too long, they are a nuisance as they constantly raid our trade caravans that attempt to trade with people in the region. We cannot allow this to continue. We are losing large profits that would otherwise make our city a very wealthy place. I intend to be a rich man when I retire. So, I want those Mongols gone. We will once again continue our trades and become rich."

Someone in the crowd interrupts.

"When do we set out? Considering that we can wrap things up within a week, I want to get it over with as soon as possible.
"Silence! I'm the one doing all the talking here. Since you asked a very good question, I will answer you. We will set out tonight. The Mongols won't expect our attack tonight and we will slaughter their men. As for their wives and children, I'm sure they will make fitting slaves. After all, they didn't hesitate to kill our young ones. Anyways, where was I in my speech?"

The crowd is silent as everyone forgot what the mayor was talking about before the interruption.

"Whatever, I want all of you rested as we will make our journey to the wild tonight. Pack some warm clothes and bring a few carts. We will need the carts to carry our captives. That is all! Goodbye and see you all tonight."

Last edited: