• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wildbillhdmax01

Lt. General
129 Badges
Jun 11, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Island Bound
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Darkest Hour
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
I'm very frustrated with Victoria 2 A Heart of Darkness.

I feel like the game I've come to love is no longer there. It seems like Heart of Darkness has only ruined the game. I don't feel like I'm playing Victoria 2 anymore.

I run my first game as the United States. The first thing I noticed was England released all of its colonies. It released Australia, New Zealand, Columbia, and Canada without even fully colonizing all of its land. Now one of the things I didn't like Victoria 2 was countries like England and the United central countries of Central America never released any of its colonies/countries that had cores. But now they release them within months of the game start. Now that's not my biggest complaint. That's not why I feel that has ruined the game for me.

So one problem I had was the crisis system. Me as the United States was colonizing Oklahoma Idaho and trying to go for Seattle. The UK decides to colonize what can in Canada. Within months it had colonized states in the Canada region. So for some unknown reason of how they colonized that fast they decide to start colonizing my God damn Washington. I couldn't believe it. So me and the UK are in a fight for my God damn Washington. Next thing you know there's a God damn crisis for Washington within what a couple months of the game start? Are you flipping kidding me? This is was 100% bull shit! Every single power decided to side with the UK. I restarted the game from the beginning and made damn sure that I had at least about two countries that would side with me I got France to about 190 relationship. I can't remember the other. Both France and the other nation still sided with the UK. I couldn't believe it I was outraged.

There was one game where I was too busy trying to colonize Oklahoma and Colorado that the UK took both Washington and Oregon within a month or two. So I don't understand how the UK colonizes so fast. I ended up quitting the game in a rage.

So this is what really got me mad I decided to place the United States again. This was sometime after the first two games I play that got me mad. Within I think a couple of months or so the UK colonized what they could in Canada plus my Washington and Oregon. At this point, I'm kind of mad to the fact that I couldn't do anything without it going into a crisis.

It seems like the crisis system, put their just to annoy the hell out of you. I can understand all the other reasons for crisis system like smaller countries try to get back their land where they have cores, but the whole colonizing system with the crisis system is just a pain in the ass.

So I decided to say screw it I'll let them have it. At this point for some reason Texas did apply for statehood even though I help them out. Also Texas decided to go to war with Mexico to humiliate them like really? At the time I could help them because for some reason the UK out of nowhere within a year decided to declare war on me. Not for the new England cores but to annex my puppet Liberia and to acquire Minnesota. So this is where during the war I start to flip out. Shown in the picture I will provide. I was losing the war within negative score of I think -500. I don't have a picture of that but I didn't even think you could go that negative in a war. So they have Greece and Belgium underside I eventually got Greece and Belgium to go with white piece but the UK even though I have occupied almost all of Canada and destroy pretty much all of their divisions in Canada to a point where there wasn't a single British troop in North America. Even after all this I was never winning the war. Even though I had all of British Washington and Oregon occupied and most of Canada occupied I was still losing the war. I've never ever had this problem before A Heart of Darkness. I don't understand. I was still losing with a score of -27. From one to understand because they have occupied 2 provinces in Liberia be automatically get the unbelievable amount of plus war score. Making it impossible for me to ever win. Not only that but every time they offered me a deal for peace I would get negative war exhaustion. It got to the point where they kept shipping over more troops to Canada where they cornered one of my divisions that had about 20,000 men and they had a death stack of about 50 and they destroyed and killed my divisions. That pretty much lost in the war. But lets say that didn't happen. The war would of went on for almost for ever until they slowly but surely destroyed every single one of my divisions. At this point I almost flipped over my computer desk and punch my screen. There's just no way I could win. I've never had this problem with Victoria 2. I have Victoria 2 down and had a blast. Now I'm just frustrated. Even after I won most of the battles against Great Britain and I may have lost most of my Navy which wasn't much and had most of the territory that I could possibly get I still lost. I now really don't understand. I really don't. I play I feel like I'm not playing Victoria 2.

I gave the game one last chance and played my first game as the UK. I didn't want to be a warmonger like the UK AI is. I gave that piece of Maine to the United States to increase relationships and I decided to only colonize my parts of Canada and not to colonize any part of the US. I thought okay the tables were turned I'll be able to colonize my parts of Canada with no problem. But instead the United States decides not to colonize Oklahoma or even Idaho or Washington or Oregon nope. They decide to colonize my area of Canada. It's lime the AI is meant to start a crisis at all cost. So i just let it be a test game. I decided to let it go into a crisis. I thought well everyone will join my side. Nope. Over three of the countries join the United States side.

At that point that's where I decided I don't want to play this game any more. I'm sick of this game and all I want back is my old Victoria 2. I don't understand how this expansion pack made the game worse not better. I don't know what to do.

Am I missing something? Am I the only one who's had this problem? Where do I go from here? My favorite Paradox interactive game has been ruined. Am I doing something wrong? Should I just wait for a patch?

I do love it! It was my Favorite Paradox interactive game.

I do love it! It was my Favorite Paradox interactive game.

Ok firstly I'm new to Victoria 2 but I have some things to say. With the losing the War situation you was losing since they had occupied provinces of their War Goal (being Liberia). The system now has a ticking war score in which when you achieve a War Goal (say occupy 75 percent of provinces) it will steadily gain higher and higher. So to prevent this you have to stop UK from occupying 75 percent or more of Liberia.

No, it hasn't been ruined. Hopefully a future patch will make it more enjoyable for everyone.

Maybe Ruined is to strong of a word, but I'm just so angry. I'm sad.

Absolutely not. HOD is much much better than only AHD. I love everything. The newspapers maybe where a bit unnecessary and the dominion releases need to be tweaked but other than that the military/navy, crises and the rest of the fixes were absolutely great. I now find myself actually playing the games through to the end date because the last decades are really the most fun.

Ok firstly I'm new to Victoria 2 but I have some things to say. With the losing the War situation you was losing since they had occupied provinces of their War Goal (being Liberia). The system now has a ticking war score in which when you achieve a War Goal (say occupy 75 percent of provinces) it will steadily gain higher and higher. So to prevent this you have to stop UK from occupying 75 percent or more of Liberia.

That can easily be used as an exploit against the U.S.

I run my first game as the United States. The first thing I noticed was England released all of its colonies. It released Australia, New Zealand, Columbia, and Canada without even fully colonizing all of its land. Now one of the things I didn't like Victoria 2 was countries like England and the United central countries of Central America never released any of its colonies/countries that had cores. But now they release them within months of the game start. Now that's not my biggest complaint. That's not why I feel that has ruined the game for me.

So one problem I had was the crisis system. Me as the United States was colonizing Oklahoma Idaho and trying to go for Seattle. The UK decides to colonize what can in Canada. Within months it had colonized states in the Canada region. So for some unknown reason of how they colonized that fast they decide to start colonizing my God damn Washington. I couldn't believe it. So me and the UK are in a fight for my God damn Washington. Next thing you know there's a God damn crisis for Washington within what a couple months of the game start? Are you flipping kidding me? This is was 100% bull shit! Every single power decided to side with the UK. I restarted the game from the beginning and made damn sure that I had at least about two countries that would side with me I got France to about 190 relationship. I can't remember the other. Both France and the other nation still sided with the UK. I couldn't believe it I was outraged.

Dominion spam is exceptionally annoying. You can fix this for now by using the colonial fix from the new nations mod http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?683896-HoD-New-Nations-Mod

The colonisation issue for the USA/UK at the beginning is stupid I agree. Playing a USA game I tagged to the UK and cancelled their colonisation attempts once it got to level 3 which allowed the USA to instantly create a colony.

The problem with the crisis system in the early game, every is afraid of losing prestige so they all gang up with the strongest side. Once you get 10-20 years into the game it gets much more sensible.

There was one game where I was too busy trying to colonize Oklahoma and Colorado that the UK took both Washington and Oregon within a month or two. So I don't understand how the UK colonizes so fast. I ended up quitting the game in a rage.

So this is what really got me mad I decided to place the United States again. This was sometime after the first two games I play that got me mad. Within I think a couple of months or so the UK colonized what they could in Canada plus my Washington and Oregon. At this point, I'm kind of mad to the fact that I couldn't do anything without it going into a crisis.

Unfortunately the UK has 10x the colony points, there's no alert for when you can upgrade a colonisation to the next level either so you end up having to micro everything like a hawk or lose. It's frustrating and unenjoyable.

It seems like the crisis system, put their just to annoy the hell out of you. I can understand all the other reasons for crisis system like smaller countries try to get back their land where they have cores, but the whole colonizing system with the crisis system is just a pain in the ass.

If you allow the UK to take the USA cores at the start you will have no choice but to go to war later if you want them back.

Am I missing something? Am I the only one who's had this problem? Where do I go from here? My favorite Paradox interactive game has been ruined. Am I doing something wrong? Should I just wait for a patch?

Most people are waiting for a patch, or are finding ways around the current mess. See colonial fix above for example.

On a positive note, the naval changes are welcome, as are the changes to the land forces.

Dominion spam is exceptionally annoying. You can fix this for now by using the colonial fix from the new nations mod http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?683896-HoD-New-Nations-Mod

The colonisation issue for the USA/UK at the beginning is stupid I agree. Playing a USA game I tagged to the UK and cancelled their colonisation attempts once it got to level 3 which allowed the USA to instantly create a colony.

The problem with the crisis system in the early game, every is afraid of losing prestige so they all gang up with the strongest side. Once you get 10-20 years into the game it gets much more sensible.

Unfortunately the UK has 10x the colony points, there's no alert for when you can upgrade a colonisation to the next level either so you end up having to micro everything like a hawk or lose. It's frustrating and unenjoyable.

If you allow the UK to take the USA cores at the start you will have no choice but to go to war later if you want them back.

Most people are waiting for a patch, or are finding ways around the current mess. See colonial fix above for example.

On a positive note, the naval changes are welcome, as are the changes to the land forces.

Thank you!

All though for some reason when I played as the UK. I couldn't colonize as fast as the UK AI. I'm hoping a patch will fix all of this!

Isnt there a historical disagreement about the areas that the UK contend with the US? really though the issue is how easy it is for the UK to strong arm the US into ceding said territories.. the AI gets them every game ive played.

HOD seems much better than AHD - despite a few very annoying bugs - when these are fixed, which they surely will. HOD has taken the game a huge step further along the track to perfection.

HOD gave us:

1. An overhaul of a dysfunctional naval system
2. An overhaul of an army system that left certain units entirely unused
3. An overhaul of a colonial system that was rather boring
4. A crisis mechanic that
A) Provides a nearly perfect simulation of how World War I actually broke out,
B) Simulates the balkanization of well... Balkan rather well. (This is the best feature imho).
C) Makes national independence movement actually matter - it's really nasty to let one of them grow to the point where they can start a crisis

5. Heaps of small improvements (different stockpile sliders yai!)

Are these features flawless? No! Dreadnought spam and doomfleets are still possible. Greece hugs all the crisis and Europe sometimes ends up looking stupid. The Dominion problem is infamous, and small nations that can only field one brigade are now literally unable to capture territory.
But do these features make the game better all in all? Yes, definetely. I love the crisis system.
Are the problems easily fixable by the first patch? Yes I think so.

I love this expansion.

HOD seems much better than AHD - despite a few very annoying bugs - when these are fixed, which they surely will. HOD has taken the game a huge step further along the track to perfection.

HOD gave us:

1. An overhaul of a dysfunctional naval system
2. An overhaul of an army system that left certain units entirely unused
3. An overhaul of a colonial system that was rather boring
4. A crisis mechanic that
A) Provides a nearly perfect simulation of how World War I actually broke out,
B) Simulates the balkanization of well... Balkan rather well. (This is the best feature imho).
C) Makes national independence movement actually matter - it's really nasty to let one of them grow to the point where they can start a crisis

5. Heaps of small improvements (different stockpile sliders yai!)

Are these features flawless? No! Dreadnought spam and doomfleets are still possible. Greece hugs all the crisis and Europe sometimes ends up looking stupid. The Dominion problem is infamous, and small nations that can only field one brigade are now literally unable to capture territory.
But do these features make the game better all in all? Yes, definetely. I love the crisis system.
Are the problems easily fixable by the first patch? Yes I think so.

I love this expansion.

I do agree but as of now until we get a patch I feel this may have hurt the game in some areas.

In order to colonize Washington you should compete with brits in Canada, gives you enough time to colonize USA proper

Play someone who isn't affected. Japan, Russia, Austria. Any of the hundred other countries.

I play AHD until a proper patch is released. HOD has some cool features for sure but AHD is so good already that i dont want to bother with the countless bugs.

Isn`t that crisis actually historical, And you just rage because you lack knowlege of history?
to quote from Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_boundary_dispute
The Oregon Dispute became important in geopolitical diplomacy between the British Empire and the new American Republic. In 1844 the U.S. Democratic Party, appealing to expansionist sentiment and the popular theme of manifest destiny, asserted that the U.S. had a valid claim to the entire Oregon Country up to Russian America at parallel 54°40′ north. Democratic presidential candidate James K. Polk won the 1844 election, but then sought a compromise boundary along the 49th parallel, the same boundary proposed by previous U.S. administrations. Negotiations between the U.S. and the British broke down, however, and tensions grew as American expansionists like U.S. Senator Edward A. Hannegan of Indiana, or Congressman Leonard Henly Sims, Missouri, which urged Polk to annex the entire Oregon Country north to the parallel 54°40′ north, as the Democrats had called for in the election. The turmoil gave rise to slogans like "Fifty-four Forty or Fight!" and the catchphrase "Manifest Destiny".
The expansionist agenda of Polk and the Democratic Party created the possibility of two different, simultaneous wars, because relations between the United States and Mexico were deteriorating following the annexation of Texas. Neither Britain nor the United States really wanted to fight a third war in 70 years. Just before the outbreak of the war with Mexico, Polk returned to his earlier position on the Oregon boundary and accepted a compromise along the 49th parallel as far as the Strait of Georgia. This agreement was made official in the 1846 Oregon Treaty, and the 49th parallel remains the boundary between the United States and Canada west of Lake of the Woods, other than the marine boundary which curves south through the Haro Strait (settled over the Rosario Strait in 1872) to the Strait of Juan de Fuca and so excludes from the United States Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. As a result, much of Point Roberts (a small peninsula extending south into the Strait of Georgia from Canada) is an exclave of the United States.
It has bigger fleet, hance more colonial points.
* At the time I could help them because for some reason the UK out of nowhere within a year decided to declare war on me.
When did the war of 1812 became "out of nowhere"?
Not for the new England cores but to annex my puppet Liberia and to acquire Minnesota. So this is where during the war I start to flip out. Shown in the picture I will provide. I was losing the war within negative score of I think -500. I don't have a picture of that but I didn't even think you could go that negative in a war. So they have Greece and Belgium underside I eventually got Greece and Belgium to go with white piece but the UK even though I have occupied almost all of Canada and destroy pretty much all of their divisions in Canada to a point where there wasn't a single British troop in North America. Even after all this I was never winning the war. Even though I had all of British Washington and Oregon occupied and most of Canada occupied I was still losing the war. I've never ever had this problem before A Heart of Darkness. I don't understand. I was still losing with a score of -27. From one to understand because they have occupied 2 provinces in Liberia be automatically get the unbelievable amount of plus war score. Making it impossible for me to ever win. Not only that but every time they offered me a deal for peace I would get negative war exhaustion. It got to the point where they kept shipping over more troops to Canada where they cornered one of my divisions that had about 20,000 men and they had a death stack of about 50 and they destroyed and killed my divisions. That pretty much lost in the war. But lets say that didn't happen. The war would of went on for almost for ever until they slowly but surely destroyed every single one of my divisions. At this point I almost flipped over my computer desk and punch my screen. There's just no way I could win. I've never had this problem with Victoria 2. I have Victoria 2 down and had a blast. Now I'm just frustrated. Even after I won most of the battles against Great Britain and I may have lost most of my Navy which wasn't much and had most of the territory that I could possibly get I still lost. I now really don't understand. I really don't. I play I feel like I'm not playing Victoria 2.
If you can not controll your territories abroad, you have to give them up. Either recapture Luberia, or live with the fact that it is not yours.

And yes, nobody said wars are only fought when both sides can win.
Am I the only one who's had this problem? Where do I go from here? My favorite Paradox interactive game has been ruined. Am I doing something wrong? Should I just wait for a patch?
I`m pretty sure most people do not play US and UK, since it is too easy.

Last edited:
Isn`t that crisis actually historical, And you just rage because you lack knowlege of history?
to quote from Wiki:

That's not the point.

It has bigger fleet, hance more colonial points.

Understandable.

If you can not controll your territories abroad, you have to give them up. Either recapture Luberia, or live with the fact that it is not yours.

1. It's Liberia. 2nd This can be used as an early game exploit against the U.S.

And yes, nobody said wars are only fought when both sides can win.

Never said any thing like that!

I`m pretty sure most people do not play US and UK, since it is too easy.

Understandable, but I like to play as them.

No worries, mate, no worries. I'm certain that in the next patch will fix this as so that the UK doesn't release Canada and Columbia on day one, and will hence spend more time colonizing other parts first and give you slightly more time to colonize Washington yourself. Or hopefully competing for Canada will still help you colonize your cores like now.

Good thing you never got as far as playing with your economy and notice that your factories weren't paying salaries all the time making your capis and workers dirt poor. Or get into Great Wars to have your allies and enemies capitulate themselves over a peace with some peripheral 10 brigade strong minor.

But hopefully all this is fixed by come weekend and we can all start really enjoying the new mechanics we were supposed to in the first place.