• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bestmajor

Field Marshal
40 Badges
Jun 5, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Semper Fi
  • Majesty 2
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hi all,

was toying around with the models.csv and found that the police brigade has no special names for different countries. i made some myself and i hope that some may give further input about cutomized names for police brigades.

BRIG_MODEL_GER_12_0;Feldgendarmerie;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_GER_12_1;Geheime Feldpolizei;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_SPA_12_0;Guardia Civil;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_FRA_12_0;Gendarmerie;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_BEL_12_0;Gendarmerie;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_ALB_12_0;Gendarmerie;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_SOV_12_0;NKVD;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_USA_12_0;Military Police;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_ENG_12_0;Military Police;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_SAF_12_0;Military Police;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_CAN_12_0;Military Police;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_NZL_12_0;Military Police;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_AST_12_0;Military Police;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_JAP_12_0;Kempeitai;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_ITA_12_0;Carabinieri;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_POR_12_0;Guarda Nacional Republicana;;;;;;;;;;x
BRIG_MODEL_BRA_12_0;Polícia Militar;;;;;;;;;;x

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether NKVD is correct, as it seems to refer to an organization, but not a unit type. The others refer to both and should be fine, though.
I'd add "Gendarmerie" for France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Greece, Turkey, Romania and maybe Austria and Switzerland.

you're probably right about the NKVD, but it means ministry of internal affairs, iirc? - so the role should be appr. right?

thanks for the gendarmes, i'll add Guardia Civil for SPA if nobody challenges this?

I'm not sure whether NKVD is correct, as it seems to refer to an organization, but not a unit type.

You're right enough that it was an organisation, Auto, but it was one with a very wide reach and a number of different directorates. One of these was the NKVD directorate for Internal Troops which spawned a variety of police units - like the NKVD blocking battalions providing a cordon sanitaire to prevent desertions from the front line, and at least one entire NKVD diivison that fought at Stalingrad. Given this, I think it's reasonable to use it as a brigade name.

Okay, that's a good point. If these were actually called NKVD battalion/division and not "Police division under command of the NKVD", then NKVD is fine for a brigade name.

I can't help much with specific unit names I'm afraid, but if we go back to square one and look at the brigade stats we seem to be dealing with a cross between military police and anti-guerilla units. I think some of the NKVD units seem to fit that mix fairly well. I don't believe NKVD troops ever supplanted the orthodox military police in the Red Army, but they did operate parallel to them in ensuring political reliability and they did have particular responsibility for anti-guerilla action. In that way I see them as being similar to the Geheime Feldpolizei that the major provides as the German model 12_1.

On the broader point of how their forces were classified, I think it's very doubtful that any of their units would have been designated as anything like "Police division under command of the NKVD". As I understand it the NKVD controlled all police forces throughout the Soviet Union in much the same way that the SS came to formally control all the police of the German Reich. So it would have been kind of redundant to note that a particular police unit was under NKVD command.

I confess, however, to not having a really firm grasp on the topic so I'll happily accept correction on the matter.

i think it is the ministry of internal affairs (NKVD) - or at least parts of it (which is maybe a problem as they were - as i understand it - security forces and at the same time regular fighting formations, like the Stalingrad Division http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10th_NKVD_Division_(Soviet_Union)

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Внутренние_войска_МВД_России#.D0.98.D1.81.D1.82.D0.BE.D1.80.D0.B8.D1.8F

so i think its not wrong but could be a bit more accurate. if you compare it to the SS, it wouldnt be very close to call all MP brigades "SS". just dont have any other idea.

I think this is the result of the way brigades are conceived in DH - many of them have no precise historical analogue and that's clearly the case with the 'Police' brigade. Historically MP detachments would have given an movement bonus and perhaps a small org increase but that would have been it. They would have had no suppression effect at all, firstly because they were way too small to be useful in anti-partisan warfare and second because they were fully tasked with other duties.

So to make sense of the suppression boost the brigade provides, you need to conceive of them in broader terms - a sort of mix between Feldgendarmerie and Geheime Feldpolizei with additional field forces thrown in - and since there was in fact no such mix you're never going to be able to get truly historical unit designations. In those circumstances I figure you're entitled to 'fudge' the naming a little.