• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(731318)

Recruit
2 Badges
Apr 26, 2013
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
I got the Victoria Bundle when it was on sale on Steam a few days ago, and I installed Victoria II, along with A House Divided. When I try to launch it, I getpast the intro video, but when the loading gets to the part where it says Initalising Map-Sprites ( or something like that ), the game crashes and another window pops up, saying:

File exception:
Exception in: virtualfilesystem.cpp, line 624. Description: The system cannot find the file specified.

I validated the Cache files via Steam, but that didn't fix it. I also tried reinstalling the game manually, but still no luck. I also installed it on my laptop, which has Windows 7 ( My desktop runs on Windows 8 ), but I got the same error there as well.

Can someone please tell me what's wrong and how to fix it? Thanks in advance. :)

Any tips for a noob?

What a delightfully open ended question.

Play the USA first. The might seem big and scary, but they have very clear goals to follow, you get to try most of the game's systems with them, and your economy will be strong enough that you probably won't mess things up too much.

Nice try, recruit.

That did it! Thank you. :)

Any tips for a noob?

Don't take wooden nickels?

j/k

Read the wiki. Study the manuals and strategy guides, remembering to allow for changes in expansions, go back and read the patch notes and developer diaries for the expansions. Learn the console commands and use them to help learn how to play the game. Restart your first games often, with a goal as to what you are trying to learn in this run through.

Remember, this game is a marathon, not a sprint.

Beware of unbridled expansion. It has consequences. Learn what infamy is and what its purpose is.

Well since i cant seem to find another thread for it i guess ill post it here.
I bought Vicky 2 (all the way to HoD and all of the bundled dlc) during the steam Winter sale on Wednesday.

Whenever i try to open it up, i get a crash at startup that is VERY similar to the OPs except mine says:

File exception:
Exception in: virtualfilesystem.cpp, line 662. Description: The system cannot find the file specified.

I tried verifying the cache and such and at first i though it was the same error as the OPs and tried to implement the fix above, but i couldnt find the first file the solution told him to delete. So now imma ask the forum (also sorry for using a necro'd thread), but how do i fix this?

Last edited:
Sounds familiar but can't remember. Take the CD key for the base game out of the steam interface (right click the game and click View CD Key). Use that to register your game on the forum under the My Games tab. That will get you access to the Tech Support and other forums.

Welcome and enjoy.