+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The audio side of the game - grunts, screams, warcries

The audio side of the game - grunts, screams, warcries

Its not very expensive to record. For such sounds you dont even need actors. Its all about unarticulated screams and grunts. But such sounds would unmute the combat in war of the roses. Atm. it feels so artificial when all the combatants are so mute! Only sounds acompanying combat here is clash of steel. WotR could really use work on the sound side of the game.

Look at this example of combat scene:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Sw-wR6qg#t=34s

If you would take away the shouts, groans, screams and warcries it would become so muted and artificial... So i would say: Take the fatshark employees to studio and let them all scream a bit to microphones (it could be as well fun and integrating experience for whole team). Then pick the best warcries, shouts, groans and screams and implement them into the game, and i guarantee you that this game will multiply its athmoshpere by hundred times.

Adding blood to the game was one step in right direction - it rewards the succesfull attacker by something more than just a floating number. Now add to this his epic feeling when he presses his warcry button slashes opponent, see that blood AND hear the groan. It would get so much more personal in combat

You did so far great work with visual side of the game, but there was relatively so little effort put into the audio side that its a great shame! It subtracts the epicness from the visual side by being so muted and disconnected from the audio side. And while adding voice to combatants you could also record some better sound for heavy head blows other than crashed wooden box as it is now It feels wierd when i get a pollaxe/warhammer/axe to the head, instadeath and hear my empty wooden skull crashed. But its not as important as unmuting the combatants tho.

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesWar of the Vikings

Blog Entries
    Every fighter is different and makes different sounds in battle. I would probably want an option to turn this off if it got too repetitive.
    "The King is dead, long live the King"
    "A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!"

I've been playing Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars lately, and even the really shoddy shouts and wilhelm screams (lol) add atmosphere to the game. I have to agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
    Every fighter is different and makes different sounds in battle. I would probably want an option to turn this off if it got too repetitive.
    Even the lower budget Chivalry got this one right and it doesnt get repetetive. There is set of randomly played versions and each class have different voices on top of that and i can tell a lot bad about that game, but they did audio right and the athmoshpere alone kept me playing for a while. I had a blast screaming like a madman charging the enemy. Such things never gets repetetive or boring

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiLev View Post
    I've been playing Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars lately, and even the really shoddy shouts and wilhelm screams (lol) add atmosphere to the game. I have to agree with this.
    Yes! And as the other comment mentioned Chivalry managed it very well (if a bit OTT) and imagine this being an add on the the Brian Blessed DLC... my life would complete!

(There would be far more slitting of gizzards!)
    Fast like the wind,
    Silent like a forest,
    Intrusive like the fire,
    Immobile like a mountain,
    Under heaven and earth, I alone am feared.
    -Takeda Shingen

Middle Earth Project - Total Conversion Mod for CK2

+ Reply to Thread