• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
GM Note: Stats have been updated on the Holy See post, here. Let me know if you think you see a mistake. Also, please note that I will soon be giving the Church its own income and treasury. The Pope will reduce his income a bit, but will have to pay for significantly less out of pocket. The Church will not be like an unlimited debit card. Poor Chamberlain. :p

((What, no unlimited credit?! D:

... :p I am liking the way Damiano turned out in the update. Office and Chairs Tax was a good one! :D))

This year has been an incredibly productive year for the Papacy, and all members of the Curia. We are now better equipped both spritually and financially to see through the goals of the Papacy, than ever before. The death of the antipope is a cause for joy, as no longer can he corrupt the souls of God's Children.

~ Cardinal Damiano, Chamberlain of the Apolistic Camera

After, being locked up by the Duke of Aquitaine, obviously a follower of Satan himself, I will be meeting with the King of France. Furthermore, I ask His Holiness to excommunicate the nation of Aquitaine for denying the true Holy Apostle. We can no longer allow nations to follow an 'anti-Pope' without consequences.

This year, has brought me wealth beyond my wildest imaginations. This is due to the generosity of the people towards the Catholic Church. These new funds, I have received will be put towards the good use of building churches and spreading the word of Catholicism to heathens.

~ Cardinal Andre Caron, Secretary of State

(( I am the second most powerful man in the Papacy! :D My money ain't going to no church. :p ))

As Prefect, I have to deny, based on canon antecedents, the possibility of excommunicating a full nation as Aquitaine. According to our Holy Law, excommunications can only bi issued against individuals, and any other way would mean a heavy transgression of our canon law.

Cardinal Godefroy de Aquitaine, Prefect of the Holy See

As Prefect, I have to deny, based on canon antecedents, the possibility of excommunicating a full nation as Aquitaine. According to our Holy Law, excommunications can only bi issued against individuals, and any other way would mean a heavy transgression of our canon law.

Then, the Duke of Aquitaine should be excommunicated for not recognizing the legitimate Pope Lando II, and supporting a Satan-loving 'anti-Pope'.

~ Cardinal Andre Caron, Secretary of State

The death of the anti-Pope is the sign of God's will, and perchance the war will end before getting to the stage of massacre. But chances of that are slim, and I can see numerous good warriors on either side falling prey to sins of the Kaiser Henry, even though the end of that conflict is clear now.

It is most pleasing to see the Papal Army grow in both quantity and quality in those virulent times. I believe that given some time, and with aid of my diligent Lieutenants, the Army may be formed into an iron fist capable of bringing swift and merciful defeat to anyone opposing the Mother Church, even without aid of foreign kings. While it is truly heart-warming to see Good Catholics from all around the world to flock to us, seeking to defeat those defying our Faith, we cannot forget that they are still not citizens of Rome, and their help may be sometimes too costly.

I'd like also to note that the loyal soldier is not the one that thinks of politics, but the one that has discipline and honour. Thus I humbly beg His Holiness Lando II to avoid involving our simple-minded and obedient army in politics and court intrigues. If some warrior shows valour and virtues befitting the position, I will make sure he gets it. If His Holiness doubts loyalty of His Army, he has to doubt my loyalty first of all, as it is my duty to ensure that the only way troops may act treacherously is by my command, and it pains me greatly to even think that I could be possibly capable of giving such a command. I will not hesitate to accept any observer upon myself, but I beg to leave my subordinates out of this.

Loyal servant of the Holy See
Captain-General Antonio Dandolo​

((OOC: well, perhaps he meant to place the interdict upon Aquitane))

Last edited:
I would like to start my address on a personal note, with a vote of thanks to His Holiness for the kind entrustment of the Archbishopric of Fermo into my care. I promise to look after it with all of my power. I would also like to thank my patron back in England for his vote of confidence in the form of the Bishopric of Hereford.

With that little prelude over, I can turn my attention to the prevailing situation to the North. I wish to state categorically that I am strongly against actively fighting within what is an internal matter for the Holy Roman Empire; this is an issue that concerns us, but not to the point where we must bring about hostilities and risk our diplomatic forte becoming diluted and destroyed in the muddy fields of battle. Instead, I propose a more cautious and sensible approach, whereby we lend political and monetary support to the rebels and lend them legitimacy by the Pope performing ceremonies such as coronations for the more important, such as the King of Bohemia. Our missions in the region are well placed to provide this diplomatic and practical support to quickly resolve the ongoing crisis in a favourable way, but I must again caution that there is no need to bring about an escalation of this crisis by rashly declaring war here, there and everywhere.

~ Cardinal de Montfort, Archbishop of Fermo

The heresy of Henry and his soulless minions must be stopped, and only with Papal intervention can be obtain this. We should indeed carefully evaluate interventions, but this situation clearly warrants action. While our true warriors of God, like Vratislaus fight the forces of evil, we cannot be content to merely observe. Not only should we send our armies, collaborating with our Northern Italian friends, but also we must be actively condemning Henry's supporters, seeking aid, and raising funds.

To accomplish this, I call upon His Holiness to call upon all good Christian rulers, such as the French King. Also, I ask the Pontiff to begin authorizing our blessed armies to fight the Imperial Heretic Forces, pushing north.

- Cardinal Hans Berg, Archbishop of Mainz, and Papal Legate to the Holy Roman Empire

I have a suggestion for his Holiness, Pope Lando II. Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia, one of our key supporters in the Holy Roman Empire, and a leading figure in the fight against the antipapacy sponsored by Henry IV, has been denied the promised Kingdom of Bohemia due to the maleovalence of Henry. I say we should crown Vratislaus as King of Bohemia, a position he has truly earnt, once we have defeated Henry IV. It is the right of the Papacy to crown Kings, and to exercise this right publicly could only benefit the position and power of the Church. I urge you to consider this option, and if the crowning is accepted and is to be done in Rome, I would be happy to handle the financing of the coronation, as such monetary matters fall under my jurisidiction in any case.

I would also like to beg for a favour from his holiness, in the form of the titular minor basilica of Santa Sabina. I have personal ties to the area, and would appreciate it if it could be granted to me in the form of a titular church. That way I would have the connection to the place I so know and love, and yet I would not have to neglect my duties. I thank you for the consideration.

~ Cardinal Damiano, Chamberlain of the Apolistic Camera

Last edited:
GM Note: Church Stats should be up later tomorrow, as well as corrected Papal Stats due to this.
Order deadline for 1086 is Monday, April 29 at 23:59 EDT. I have been told there will be a Papal IC shortly so our Captain-General and his Lieutenant-Commanders know what they are supposed to do, God Willing.

Last edited:
Blessings to all children of God!

The Lord has truly shown us who is his rightful Vicar of Christ on this Earth! He has struck down that vile pretender who was spawn to Satan himself! Let Henry IV know now and forever that he will pay for his crimes against God and he best submit to judgement now or face worse.

I must also show my gratitude to Archbishop deAlberte who has brought forth a great army to aid the Papacy. This thanks must also go to the Roger Borsa, a most pious and great man, God will reward him!

Thanks also must go to the graceful Duchess of Tuscany who is truly a servant of God!

The Duke of Aquitaine is warned, he has no right to imprison a servant of God and to do so is a sin!

I hereby grant the status of Archbishopric to Rogaliano. I also grant the abbey of San Giacomo to Cardinal de Sabelli and I further grant him the Archbishopric of Florence. Lastly, I grant the Archbishopric of Gaeta to Cardinal Damiano.

In regards to the Papal Army, I call for the First Roman Legion to accompany the Norman Army that is to aid us and implore the Captain-General to find a commander for the Lancers.

Second to last, I confirm Heinrich von Staufen in his position as Commander of the Papal Guard.

Of the last and most important, I shall personally accompany the Papal and Norman armies in their march north, Archbishop deAlberte shall accompany me and with my absence I leave authority to the Vice Chancellor.

~ Pope Lando II

((OOC: Just to check, what do you mean as "First Roman Legion", only the 1st Regiment (that would be of token importance compared to 35k Normans, really), or the whole Army (implying it may expand to be consisting of few "legions")?))

GM Note: The Church stats are up. The Pope's influence has been reduced and is now augmented by Moral Authority, which is explained in the updated OP. A mini will be made once the Captain-General and his lieutenants have sent their orders.

I Alessandro Piero lowly foot soldier in the papal army can swear to his holyness the pope that in the low ranks of the army every soldier is thrilled to go to battle against the forces of the heretic Henry IV. For this reason as representative of the ones without voice in the army we express our support to the pope and march to battle knowing we do it for a right cause!.

((sorry for the small post and not posting or appearing in the irc as i was very sick ( still kinda sick but getting better))

Lando’s Great Campaign

100an%25CC%2583os5.jpg

As 1086 dawned, the political landscape was quickly changing. Pope Lando II had declared his intent to intervene in the Great Rebellion of 1085, the overall name given to the revolts of the Bohemian, North Italian and already revolting Saxon nobles of the Holy Roman Empire against Henry IV. The Pontiff decided to march north as the Commander of the Papal Army, with Archbishop Henre deAlberte serving as second-in-command and de facto field commander. Captain-General Dandolo was ordered to remain in Rome in command of the First Papal Lancer Squadron, while the Lieutenant-Commanders of the First and Second Roman Regiments marched with the Pope as commanders of their regiments. Pope Lando II, supremely confident in his shining new army, and followed by Robert Borsa and a force of 35,000 Norman soldiers, began his campaign in early January, but difficulties quickly emerged.

The shock of Clement III’s death had damaged Henry IV’s cause and seemed to swing many nobles in favor of Lando, but Henry quickly set to work to fix this deficit in legitimacy. Fully knowing that Lando’s French birth was one of his biggest weaknesses, Henry made sure the next Pope in Ravenna was of Roman birth. In a surprise move, he called upon Cardinal Giovanni Bobone-Orsini to be the next Archbishop of Ravenna. Cardinal Orsini was coronated as Pope Celestine II in late January, and quickly set out to save Henry IV’s situation.

Pope Celestine II started by lifting the excommunication placed on Henry by Lando, and absolving him of all sin, which did much to mend the view of Henry in the eyes of many nobles who were undecided in sides to take, and solidifying the support he did have. Celestine followed this by excommunicating Vratislaus of Bohemia and Matilda of Tuscany. Hoping to blunt the rebel’s military capabilities, the Pope offered the Duchies of Bohemia, Tuscany, and Apulia to Vratislaus’ brother Conrad, Godfrey of Bouillon, and Roger I respectively if they would fight against the rebels, which they both quickly refused. These created a sense of solidarity on both sides, as the battle lines became thickly drawn. Not letting these refusals stop him, Celestine then excommunicated the King of France, and requested that Duke William VIII of Aquitaine rise against him in exchange for absolution of his sins. The Duke answered the call, and though King Philip I of France immediately pledged total support for Lando, the Kingdom of France was now torn into a massive civil war between the followers of Philip and Lando and the followers of William and Celestine.

Celestino_bolla_teutonici.jpg

Celestine II issues the series of Papal Bulls known as rebellem exterminatore, a series of diplomatic moves widely attributed with saving Henry IV from total disaster in 1086.

Lando, confident that despite these setbacks God was on his side, continued his march north, and the Papal and Norman armies met up with a force of 10,000 Italian rebels. The forces began to move through Lombardia and set up defensive positions. This took longer than expected, and Lando faced further tribulation when a messenger arrived with horrendous news from the South.

The Muslims in Sicily, noticing the Duke and levies of Apulia were absent, had launched an all-out invasion of Southern Italy. The Islamic horde quickly overran Messina, as its sheer numbers overwhelmed the small garrisons left in the county. They then prepared for an invasion of Calabria, which began just weeks later. Robert and the Norman Army quickly marched south, as the Muslim invaders took Calabria and surged into Basilicata and eastern Apulia. Captain-General Dandolo and the First Papal Lancer Squadron met with Robert’s forces in Foggia, and the Norman Army took up defensive positions in Campania and western Apulia.

The Muslim attack seemed incredible to behold, as Robert estimated their forces totalling 50,000 troops. As the first wave of attacks began to slam into the Papal-Norman defensive lines, a miracle seemed to happen. The line not only held, put the Muslim formations seemed to simply break like a weakened tide against a beach. The Islamic forces had been marching without rest for a month now, and Dandolo took full advantage of this. With a cry of “Deus Vult!”, he led the First Papal Lancers in a charge down the center of the retreating Muslim column, breaking it and sending it into a full rout. This crushing victory quickly brought confidence back to the Papal forces, and Rome breathed a sigh of relief as the Muslim forces were forced out of Apulia and back into southern Basilicata.

100a%C3%B1os.jpg

The Lancers’ charge forever immortalized Captain-General Dandolo as a fierce and able commander, and renewed Rome’s fighting spirit.

News of ‘Dandolo’s Miracle’ brought a new confidence to the Papal Army in the North. As Henry IV learned of Lando’s presence in the Alps, and in early March he sent an army of 20,000 to meet them. Matilda, looking for glory and to solidify her hold on Tuscany following her excommunication by Celestine, marched through the Alps against the requests of Lando. Only 3,000 of her force of 10,000 soldiers came back through the Alps, though scoring almost 5,000 casualties on the Holy Roman forces, and she herself was seriously wounded and was taken back to Tuscany along with her levies to reinforce and rest. This left the Pope’s meagre force of 3,000 to stand against an army five times its size. As the Papal Army took up defensive positions in the Alps mountain passes, Pope Lando II blessed them with courage, strength, and endurance. As he Captain Heinrich von Staufen watched the forces from a nearby pass, Archbishop deAlberte took command of the Army. After a short meeting with the Lieutenants, the three commanders took up their positions and prepared for the massive battle to come.

It was just four hours after their meeting that the Holy Roman formations advanced on the Papal Army’s position. Forced to funnel into the mountain passes, the Holy Roman numerical advantage was essentially neutralized, and it came down to the soldiers themselves. Fortunately, Dandolo, von Hardeg, and von Jurring had spent much time drilling their forces throughout 1085 and in the early months of 1086. Both capable commanders, von Hardeg and von Jurring held their own, as the Holy Roman waves broke upon the Papal lines. While the Papal forces were forced to fall back in the fourth day of battle, the planning the commanders had done before the battle meant the retreat went smoothly, and similar defensive lines were drawn just three miles back.

During this second phase of the battle, Archbishop deAlberte was said to have been incited by a fit of God-given rage to fight the Holy Roman soldiers himself. Armed with two short swords, the Archbishop flew into the middle of the battle screaming in rage. Rumors among the Papal soldiers said deAlberte personally felled a hundred heretics before being seriously wounded by an axeman. The Archbishop, robes stained red with the blood of his enemies and his own as well, was safely taken behind the defensive lines to recover.

359px-Rudolf_von_Schwaben.jpg

Archbishop deAlberte was taken behind the defensive line to rest following his serious wounding during the seventh day of battle in the Alps.

After eight days of battle, the Holy Roman army retreated from the mountain pass, having lost approximately 2,000 soldiers as opposed to the 850 lost by the Papal Army. With both the Northern and Southern fronts secure, the Papal Army stayed in its position for the rest of March, recovering from its losses and preparing to move again. The succession of victories in Apulia and the Alps had not only saved Rome from immediate threat, but also Roman morale.

Unfortunately, this luck ran out in the North when a combined Bohemian-Saxon force of 25,000 marched against a Holy Roman force of 30,000 in late March. After a series of small battles, a decisive victory for Henry IV in the Second Battle of Elster led to the capture of King Hermann, leader of the Saxon rebels, and the dispersal of the Saxon rebel army. Henry followed this with a second offensive into Bohemia, crushing the Bohemian rebel army in the Battle of Prague and sending Vratislaus fleeing in secret toward Tuscany. While Henry had managed to put down the Saxon and Bohemian rebels, the cost was high, as he lost almost half his army over the whole campaign.

La-Guerra.jpg

Henry crushing the Saxon forces at Elster and the Bohemian forces at Prague meant the Great Rebellion had a meagre 3,000 soldiers left under Matilda of Tuscany still in revolt.

The events of the first four months of 1086 had radically changed the political landscape. With the Great Rebellion mostly dead, the Kingdom of France in civil war, and the Muslims on the offensive in Apulia, the Papal Forces had managed to hang on against all odds. It was yet to be seen whether these miracles could be repeated later in the year.

[+150 Influence to Celestine II. +50 Influence to Antonio Dandolo. +40 Influence to Lando II. +25 Influence to Henre deAlberte. +30 Influence to Albert von Hardeg and Sebastien Heinberg Guttson von Jurring. -400 Heavy Infantry from the First Roman Regiment. -450 Heavy Infantry from the Second Roman Regiment. -10 Moral Authority to the Church.]

GM Note: Stats and character list will be updated soon. Battle plans for the second part of the year and revised orders are welcome. 1086 Orders deadline is Monday, April 29th, at 23:59 EDIT.

Last edited:
As the battle raged fiercely in the distance, Henre lumped over the shoulder of a fellow soldier, who had witnessed his great possession that had killed "100 heretics." His thigh had been fiercely impaled with an axe from behind, and it became apparent as he screamed in pain that the injury was serious.

"You Fucking Imperials! I'll have your bloody heads on a pike and stick em in every donkey's ass in your pitiful Empire!" Henre cried.

The soldier turned around in awe, "Sir?"

"Praise the Lord. May he guide us to victory." He responded. The soldier turned away, perhaps having heard wrong, as blood began to seep from the mouth of the Archbishop, which didn't prevent him from shouting muffled terms of anger, which the soldier could not understand under the great spurt of blood.

Later, Henre prayed that god didn't either.

When the forces of darkness stir, all forms of evil emerge. First the Heretics, now come forth the wretched Muslim heathens, the rebellious French duke, and Cardinal-turned-traitor Orsini. Were it not for the protection of God himself and my firm faith, I might be worried.

Clearly our Papal commanders walk with the Lord, with glorious victories on all fronts. Men like Dandalo, von Jurring, and von Hardeg inspire confidence, and have my blessings.

Although the true Christians of the Holy Roman Empire are scattered, they are not defeated. Henry has been cut, and now we must wait for him to bleed dry. Let us be rid of heresy soon.

God Willing

- Cardinal Hans Berg, Archbishop of Mainz, and Papal Legate to the Holy Roman Empire

ITALIA+-BANDERAS0018.jpg

Second Roman Regiment

Introduction: Formed officially by Pope Lando II in the beginning of his administration of the Papal States in 1085, it is one of the many units of the Papal Army who fight in the name of the Pope and God.

Battles:
Investiture War: 1086-1087
Battle of the Alps - February 1086 - Victory
Battle of Frankfurt - January 1087 - Victory

Honours: None

Commanders and Alumni: Sebastien Heinberg Guttson von Jurring - Commander 1085-present

Last edited:
With the vacant position in the College of Cardinals, I would like to recommend the devout Archbishop Henre de Alberte as a suitable replacement. You need only look to recent events to recognize his immense devotion, with his blood already spilled for God's work.