• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Gamersgate will work with Vic 2 from Gamersgate, the physical boxed version and from other non-steam versions.

Sorry to go on a bit, but I just want to make absolutely sure I buy the right thing so it works:

If I buy any of the NON-Steam versions of HoD, it will work with my GAMESTOP version of V2 and AHD - is that definitely, definitely right?

Sorry to go on a bit, but I just want to make absolutely sure I buy the right thing so it works:

If I buy any of the NON-Steam versions of HoD, it will work with my GAMESTOP version of V2 and AHD - is that definitely, definitely right?

If you are not launching the game through Steam, yes :)

Why can I only add it to my wishlist, and not to my cart?

Because the Steam release is still a few hours off.

So, I'm still confused with the "other" version ordeal...I bought V2 and AHD and all the sprite packs off of the Gamestop Online Store named "Impulse"...how would I buy HoD if Impulse doesn't even have it on there?
If you are not starting the game through Steam it should mean you are running the "other" version. You can purchase on Gamersgate to be sure to get the right version then.

Please use the technical support forums for technical questions

Will Amazon sell the nonsteam version at some point?

I'd be pleased to find out if this will happen, as well.

I preordered HoD from Amazon.com and started up the download this morning only to find I would have to get a Steam account and re-purchase both Vic2 and AHD to have it work. I was able to contact Amazon.com for a refund and that has already been done. (Interestingly, the person replying said I should have read the info more carefully before buying as it would have told me that I needed Vic2. True that, but if he'd have read my contact e-mail more carefully he'd have known my issue wasn't in not having Vic2 and AHD already, but in having to buy Vic and AHD again from Steam before I would get it to work - after already purchasing both from Amazon.com.) Despite my parenthetical 'rant' I am very happy that Amazon.com didn't give me any trouble with refunding my purchase.

Alternately I'd be pleased to learn where I could get a version of HoD that would be compatible with the boxed Vic2 and the version of AHD available from Amazon.com at AHD's launch.

I'd be pleased to find out if this will happen, as well.

I preordered HoD from Amazon.com and started up the download this morning only to find I would have to get a Steam account and re-purchase both Vic2 and AHD to have it work. I was able to contact Amazon.com for a refund and that has already been done. (Interestingly, the person replying said I should have read the info more carefully before buying as it would have told me that I needed Vic2. True that, but if he'd have read my contact e-mail more carefully he'd have known my issue wasn't in not having Vic2 and AHD already, but in having to buy Vic and AHD again from Steam before I would get it to work - after already purchasing both from Amazon.com.) Despite my parenthetical 'rant' I am very happy that Amazon.com didn't give me any trouble with refunding my purchase.

Alternately I'd be pleased to learn where I could get a version of HoD that would be compatible with the boxed Vic2 and the version of AHD available from Amazon.com at AHD's launch.

I have stressed the need of sorting out the Amazon issue. Sadly they are american and just recently woke up so it might take a while longer.

Gamersgate is a safe bet it you are using the non-Steam version of V2.

6 or 7 hours ago I purchased both Victoria II and Victoria II HOD on Gamersgate, every time I instal Victoria II HOD it replies ''Victoria II not found''.
I'm still waiting for their tech support but nothing yet.

So i don't think that even if you buy everything on gamersgate it wont instal

Damnation. I fell in the honey pot and bought the game on Amazon, because I just automatically assumed that my current copy of Vic2 (non-Steam) from the same store would be compatible. Yes, snigger all you want, but sometimes the small consumer does silly mistakes :( I am currently trying to get a refund, but it against their policy as it normally is with game codes, so we will have to wait and see how it goes.

Edit: Got a refund.

Last edited:
6 or 7 hours ago I purchased both Victoria II and Victoria II HOD on Gamersgate, every time I instal Victoria II HOD it replies ''Victoria II not found''.
I'm still waiting for their tech support but nothing yet.

So i don't think that even if you buy everything on gamersgate it wont instal
It's been stated that you also need "Victoria II: A House Divided" to run HOD.

Damnation. I fell in the honey pot and bought the game on Amazon, because I just automatically assumed that my current copy of Vic2 (non-Steam) from the same store would be compatible. Yes, snigger all you want, but sometimes the small consumer does silly mistakes :( I am currently trying to get a refund, but it against their policy as it normally is with game codes, so we will have to wait and see how it goes.

I just called Amazon Customer Service for a refund and they claimed that the game was for Steam, but I corrected them in stating that the website didn't clearly state this until this morning. Just call CS and you should be able to work out a refund like I got one.

- There is currently no Mac-version of Victoria 2 (and therefore not for HoD either). If a Mac version is released, we will announce this at a later time.

I'm confused. I own a Mac version of Victoria II. Am I missing something?

I think Bjorn is a bit confused - There are currently no plans for a HOD port (Paradox weren't in charge of the previous ports of Vicky 2 - so it isn't a surefire thing right now)

I hope they let 3rd party developers port it atleast (Deliver2Mac and the like) I would love to get my hands on this expansion :)

I just downloaded the GamersGate version and installed it over my Impulse/GameStop version - it always crashes when it reaches the 'Creating Rivers' part of loading up :s

Guess I'm gonna try reinstalling from scratch first...

I have the same issue. Pre-ordered HoD from Gamersgate. Vic2, AHD, and 3 sprite packs were all from GG as well. Uninstalled everything, re-installed, same issue. Tried again but re-downloaded the install files from GG as well, but it still crashes at 'Creating Rivers.'

I really hope a fix is found soon. I can't wait to play HoD!

Same problem here, game crashes on startup at the creating rivers also have Gamersgate version with AHD and all the spritepacks installed...

This is not really a thread to post technical issues on but delete Victoria II folder in ...Users\<username>\Documents\Paradox interactive

I think your saves are located in that folder so if you want to keep them you might want to make a backup of them, deleting that folder worked for me, it was suggested by Bjorn in the tech support forum section. It's there for a reason if you have technical difficulties go there.