• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
21_zpsde78c80f.jpg

22_zps0383d73c.jpg

23_zps873131b7.jpg

24_zps2864951f.jpg

25_zps902fab32.jpg

26_zpsa4bd9a37.jpg

Nah, protecting Poland is Hard.

Your supply convoys will be harassed by the Kriegsmarine. You can put an ASW group in every sea province between the UK and Danzig, but the Bizmark, Tirpitz only have to leave port and they'll be right in amongst your DDs, who'll be ever so slightly outgunned. To prevent this, you need a substantial RN battle group parked outside every German sea port in the North Sea & Baltic. They will get bombed to hell by the Luftwaffe. You can try Spitfires but the Level 4 Airbase in Danzig is all you got to cover the whole Baltic/Kattegat area (Norway, Denmark still neutral). Your Spitfires will get shot up, your fleet bombed and your convoys bombed.

Lastly, bear in mind that any troops you put in Poland are on a one way mission. They either succeed and keep Poland alive , or die with them. You're not going to be able to rescue them. The historic BEF (British Expeditionary Force) at the time of the battle of France was 10 divisions. You'll need more like 40, 50 for this.

All in all, a lot of stuff to produce in time for September 1939 , you've had big peacetime modifiers up till then and most of your IC is just paying the techteams. The Phony war period at least gives you 8 months where you can actually build stuff.

Best way to save Norway is to save Denmark. If Copenhagen is in Allied hands, the Kriegsmarine are unable to leave the Baltic. All you need is one big battlegroup sat outside Kiel 24/7 and no naval invasions, no submarines harassing your convoys, nothing. To save Denmark you need to land troops in Kolding the very instant that Germany DoWs them. They need to be ready and waiting outside Kiel in the couple of weeks before the historic date, otherwise they wont get there in time and the surrender event fires. You'll need a decent stack of inf-art (like 12 or so) with one inf-eng for a dug-in bonus. Germans can only attack from one direction but there is no river, hill or forest barrier to save you. Copenhagen dont need so many because of the water crossing.

Nah, protecting Poland is Hard.

Your supply convoys will be harassed by the Kriegsmarine. You can put an ASW group in every sea province between the UK and Danzig, but the Bizmark, Tirpitz only have to leave port and they'll be right in amongst your DDs, who'll be ever so slightly outgunned. To prevent this, you need a substantial RN battle group parked outside every German sea port in the North Sea & Baltic. They will get bombed to hell by the Luftwaffe. You can try Spitfires but the Level 4 Airbase in Danzig is all you got to cover the whole Baltic/Kattegat area (Norway, Denmark still neutral). Your Spitfires will get shot up, your fleet bombed and your convoys bombed.

Lastly, bear in mind that any troops you put in Poland are on a one way mission. They either succeed and keep Poland alive , or die with them. You're not going to be able to rescue them. The historic BEF (British Expeditionary Force) at the time of the battle of France was 10 divisions. You'll need more like 40, 50 for this.

All in all, a lot of stuff to produce in time for September 1939 , you've had big peacetime modifiers up till then and most of your IC is just paying the techteams. The Phony war period at least gives you 8 months where you can actually build stuff.

Best way to save Norway is to save Denmark. If Copenhagen is in Allied hands, the Kriegsmarine are unable to leave the Baltic. All you need is one big battlegroup sat outside Kiel 24/7 and no naval invasions, no submarines harassing your convoys, nothing. To save Denmark you need to land troops in Kolding the very instant that Germany DoWs them. They need to be ready and waiting outside Kiel in the couple of weeks before the historic date, otherwise they wont get there in time and the surrender event fires. You'll need a decent stack of inf-art (like 12 or so) with one inf-eng for a dug-in bonus. Germans can only attack from one direction but there is no river, hill or forest barrier to save you. Copenhagen dont need so many because of the water crossing.

Very good points Tomnoddy. For me it is more about learning from my mistakes, so you would advice that I next time go to Denmark instead of Norway :)
It is definitely worth a try.

And you are right, helping Poland may have been a bit tricky...

This will make for a new challenge. It helps when the Axis has reliable friends! :D

Oh dear. Italy is about to get itself a new one. It's offering itself as a meat shield to protect it's best buddy Germany. I'm sure it's in their national interest.

They really do have quite an army in Libya, they're probably going to take the whole of North Africa. Genoa, Milan, Venice, Turin? Those areas are not strategically important. No need to waste more than 2 or 3 obsolete INF up there.

This will make for a new challenge. It helps when the Axis has reliable friends! :D

Oh dear. Italy is about to get itself a new one. It's offering itself as a meat shield to protect it's best buddy Germany. I'm sure it's in their national interest.

They really do have quite an army in Libya, they're probably going to take the whole of North Africa. Genoa, Milan, Venice, Turin? Those areas are not strategically important. No need to waste more than 2 or 3 obsolete INF up there.

Yeah. We weren't quite expecting the Italians to join the war so soon. The plans in the French borders where France's decisions, I just supplied with some troops. Luckily Africa was "under my jurisdiction" :D

:rofl: It would be quite an achievement for the Italy AI to do worse then RL Italy! Good to see it try and capture Malta though.

This is an intriguing AAR. I hope Germany does not launch suicidal attacks as we have seen in another 'AAR'.

It would be quite an achievement for the Italy AI to do worse then RL Italy!
It already did. RL Italy didn't lose half of Northern Italy in 1940 ;). It looks like the Allies may reach the Italo-Austrian border soon! Now that's quite an achievement. The Allied forces are not even that big there (12 infantry divs)...

Seems the Allies just can't lose... no matter what thread it is. Nice of you to cut Italy in two, Marshall18. :D

But hope you will find time to visit the "UK thread"... there's been quite a few new posts.

It already did. RL Italy didn't lose half of Northern Italy in 1940 ;).
Haha, of course. I applaud the AI for its never-ending stupidity! It is the one thing the AI will never lack.
It looks like the Allies may reach the Italo-Austrian border soon! Now that's quite an achievement. The Allied forces are not even that big there (12 infantry divs)...
Looks like the Italians have woken up and are sending units in, those 8 divisions in Venice will hopefully be reinforced. I hope the German AI is responding to this beyond-abysmal performance by Italy.

I'm quite certain that the Germans will react to this, eventually. The question is how this will affect their efforts in France.

BTW if you make an another MP AAR in the future, it would be interesting if the UK and Germany were player-controlled, with the UK player also having military control over France (only during war with the Axis) and Germany player having military control over Italy (only during war with the Allies).

Last edited:
I'm quite certain that the Germans will react to this, eventually. The question is how this will affect their efforts in France.
I personally hope it doesn't affect them significantly, the Italians alone should easily be able to outnumber the Allies, with German help only further ensuring the re-capture of Northern-Italy. This of course assumes the AI does not do something beyond stupid, so I'm keeping my reservations at the moment.

:rofl: It would be quite an achievement for the Italy AI to do worse then RL Italy! Good to see it try and capture Malta though.

This is an intriguing AAR. I hope Germany does not launch suicidal attacks as we have seen in another 'AAR'.

I was quite surprised at how many attacks they launched against Malta right after they declared war. They were about to win, so I was forced to send my weakened fleet in to avoid loosing Malta. Luckily the French fleet also reacted pretty fast.

It already did. RL Italy didn't lose half of Northern Italy in 1940 ;). It looks like the Allies may reach the Italo-Austrian border soon! Now that's quite an achievement. The Allied forces are not even that big there (12 infantry divs)...

Yeah, I was quite nervous about making an advance into Italy with so few units. Apparently the Italians hadn't thought about moving enough units to the border before declaring war. It was a one time chance :)

Seems the Allies just can't lose... no matter what thread it is. Nice of you to cut Italy in two, Marshall18. :D

But hope you will find time to visit the "UK thread"... there's been quite a few new posts.

You can rest assured that I am following it. I usually read it on my way to the University (on my phone).

Today Italy... tomorrow the Reich?

It seems like this AAR will be way shorter than your previous, SP German one, Marshall... ;)

It will be shorter

Haha, of course. I applaud the AI for its never-ending stupidity! It is the one thing the AI will never lack.
Looks like the Italians have woken up and are sending units in, those 8 divisions in Venice will hopefully be reinforced. I hope the German AI is responding to this beyond-abysmal performance by Italy.

Yeah, they reacted quite fast. (as you will see in the new Chapter).

BTW if you make an another MP AAR in the future, it would be interesting if the UK and Germany were player-controlled, with the UK player also having military control over France (only during war with the Axis) and Germany player having military control over Italy (only during war with the Allies).

Interesting suggestion :)
We might try that some time :D

Last edited:
Those 17 Italian divisions in North Africa could be a real game-changer if they were moved back to Italy. But then again I don't know how the Regia Marina is doing in the Med. But then again, those 11 Allied divisions could be moved as well. So I'm not so sure if Italy should pull of out North Africa or not. Obviously it should if it's country is on the verge of collapse.

Is Operation Hannibal a real WWII operation? I can only see it as the plan to evacuate German East Prussia in 1945.

Last edited: