• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cesare actually seems vaguely competent. Surely his military might will lead Naples to greater things? I don't imagine he can go far wrong with Aziraphale and Crowley around – assuming he keeps them around. I'd hate for Naples to go the way of Aragón and England...

Cesare actually seems vaguely competent. Surely his military might will lead Naples to greater things? I don't imagine he can go far wrong with Aziraphale and Crowley around – assuming he keeps them around. I'd hate for Naples to go the way of Aragón and England...

Yeah, Cezare's not terrible, but compared to Alfonso and Alberto, his stats are rather lacking. It only goes to show you shouldn't get too used to good rulers in Eu :rolleyes: At least I don't have to westernize....

Episode 39- The End of Naples? Part One​

Naples, 19 December 1522

“Come on, Aziraphale, help me with this one!”

“I’m doing my best! It’s very heavy, you know!”

“Agh, I knew I should’ve looked for someone else to hide….”

At the top of one of the highest towers of the Royal Palace our heroes were wrestling with a rather large cupboard.

“Ah…… one last push…… and there we are!”

The cupboard was placed just in front of the door. Aziraphale looked at it suspiciously.

“Do you think it will hold them out for long?”

“I wouldn’t count on that. At least, it will give us a few moments to say our goodbyes, eh?”

Aziraphale sighed heavily. He looked through the window. “It’s getting dark. I doubt they’ll attack before dawn. We might’ve been a little hasty with our hiding plan….”

“Nah, all the good hiding spots would be gone in a couple of hours once people start panicking. Besides…..” He pointed at a rather large pyramid of wine bottles. “….we have all we need to get us through the night.”

“You’re really going to drink the whole night?”

“You have any better ideas?”

“*sigh* I suppose you’re right…”

They sat in the corner. Crowley brandished a pair of wine glasses from his coat.

“What, you brought glasses as well?”

“Do you expect me to drink from the bottle?”

“I don’t think that’s a proper time to be classy…”

“There is no inappropriate time to be classy, Angel…..” He took a big sip of the wine. “At least we’ll have a great view from here….”

“Yeah….” Aziraphale sighed. “Tell me, Crowley, how did it go so wrong?”

“Ahh……. Of course it’s because of that stupid kid Cezare and his overestimated ambitions.”

“Crowley! He’s our Liege, show some respect!” He sighed.” Though, I suppose you’re right….. maybe we should’ve dissuaded him of this war…”

“Ah, we could’ve have possibly known….. Austria was busy with its wars in Transylvania so they were unlikely to intervene.”

“Yeah, all that just to declare war on a small Italian city- state…. How did they end up with so much allies anyway?”

“Maybe they serve excellent pasta? I don’t really know. We were at war with Pisa before and it went rather well. We though this one will be quick and painless as well…”

“Yeah, but why didn’t we realize that Castile might not respond positively to our plea for help?”

“I don’t know, maybe it was all the other times he have helped them…..” Aziraphale sighed heavily. “You know, let’s just empty this bottle…..”

-------------------------------------------------

A while back, an empty wine bottle rolled towards the cupboard. Our heroes have already opened another one and were on a good way to deal with its content.
“So, yeah…… January of 1522, the month in which we ended up at war with both Austria and Castile… Amongst other nations.”

“Yeah….” Crowley continued. “We were even at war with Austria AND Aquileia, even though they were hostile towards each other. How is that even possible?”

“Don’t ask me. Still, that didn’t look so bad, as long as Castile and Austria would stay out of the war. Pretty fat call if you ask me…”

“Hey, Castile was distracted, remember? They were at war with Morocco?”

Crowley sighed.

“Yeah, it was hopeless from the start.”

------------------------------------------------------

Two more bottles joined the sad state of their fallen comrade. Aziraphale and Crowley, both quite fizzy already, were exchanging memories.

“You know, I’m going to miss this place, Aziraphale….”

“Yeah…. *hic!*….. uh, escuse me…… Except for Louis and Cezare, this country had good luck with rulers. It’s a shame to shee it go downhill so fast.”

“I wished we were able to solve the problem we were supposed to. We probably won’t get another chance to try again…”

“They treat failures so harshly down there?”

“Yeah…. *hic!* Big Lu doesn’t take failure well and I don’t have that good, or rather bad, of a track record either. He might relegate me to Australia, or even worse, to Betelgeuse…”

Aziraphale shuddered. “Oh, I hate those guys from Betelgeuse! Always bragging how successful their prophets were….”

“Yeah…. Australia, on the other hand, wouldn’t be that bad of a place. I’ve been there before….”

“Oh, yeah, I remember. *hic!* Sorry…. You were one of the responsible for the fauna, right?”

“Yeah, I’ve made some pretty nice spiders back there. I bet the locals adore those…”

“You were always of the susceptible sort, were you? Though I think nothing will top the platypus…”

“Oh, that….” Crowley burst into laughing. “The platypus was a practical joke me and Nepharius made back then….. I think we went a little overboard….”

“Nobody in the right mind will believe that a real animal…..” Aziraphale looked through the window.

“Though, I suppose even Australia would be a safer place to be now…”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Another hour and a bottle of wine later….

“Crowly…. Maybe….. maybe our troops will arrive in time….?”

“I doubt it…. *hic!* Even if they did, they would have a hard time defeating Castilian forces.”

“Maybe you’re right….. They made so much progress so fast, too! I remember in March we were receiving reports from Sicily about first landings….”

“Yeah, back then, our soldiers were besieging Pisa….. We simply had too few troops to defend Sicily.”

“Yes, such shame….. And those treacherous Genoese broke our trade agreement…”

“It was inevitable, really, given we were at war…. Though at least it didn’t affect our colonies, with all the people escaping to the New World…”

“Maybe we were better off leaving as well ,Crowley?”

“You kidding me? Leaving like a *hic* coward?”

“You say that cause you cannot die..."

“Wait a minute, you cannot die either!”

“I can’t?....” Aziraphale pondered on that fact for a while. “Maybe you’re right….”

“Ah, Aziraphale, I swear…. Though I have to be honest with you on one thing: When the Castilians seized Palermo, I seriously considered leaving as fast as I can…”

“Yeah, that was a bad time for Naples….. Both Austria and Aquileia ending their wars….”

“Not to mention that Aquileia lost a perfectly conquerable province to France…. Ah, not that it will matter anyway…..”

-------------------------------------------

“Shoooo….. about King Cezare’s brilliant plan to end the war….. *hic!*” Crowley started.

“Yeash, it all seemed good in theory: attack Milan, who were the leaders of the war, and force a non- disastrous peace deal….”

“Too bad it was just too little, too late…”

“Yeah, when was it that *hic!* Messhina fell? At the end of June?”

“I believe sho, Aziraphale…. People were pretty furious that the Castilians were able to march through our lands uno…. uop….. *hic!* un-o-pposed.”

“The Chancellor tried to ease the tension amongst the peasants, *hic!*, though his speech backfired pretty badly.”

“Hey, Azi *hic!* Aziraphale! It wasn’t all bad! At least the warsh between Lithuania and Muscowy finally ended!”

“Yeah, but what good would dat do for us *hic!*” Aziraphale reeled to the side. “Saaay, maybe when the Cashtilan sholdiers come for us they’ll think we are dead and ignore ush?”

“Pretty *hic* unlikely, though we can alwaysh hope…”

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Hey, Aziraphale, I found a way to cheer you up! *hic* In the end, we were *hic* able to win shome navel…. no…. naval battlesh!”

“Yeah, but, what did it change? Calabria fell just as easily.”

“Yeah, all right…. I *hic* tried, Angel.”

“We all *hic* tried….” Aziraphale looked upon the rather impressive collection of empty bottles on the floor. “How were we *hic* able to empty them up sho fast?”

“Dunno…. Maybe *hic* if the war wash a drinking contesht inshtead, we would be able to win!”

Aziraphale sighed heavily and looked through the window. “ Shoo…. Thish ish it, then? Our final shtand?”

“ I shuppose sho…. We are ash good as dead.”

“You know, you are all right, Crowley…. For a demon that ish….”

“And you are kind of a bastard for an angel, Aziraphale…. I’ll be missing you….”

“Yeah, me too……”

After a while, they all collapsed into drunken slumber.

What will happen to Naples? Will Castilian soldiers ransack the city? Will the price of peace be too great to bear? And what will become of Aziraphale and Crowley? Tune in next year!

So, guys, I dropped the ball with Christmas wishes this year, which I apologise for, so instead have a very happy New Year! I wish you lots of love, happiness and a slew of new and interesting AARs to read! See you then!

Gah! You can't leave things like this! :p

That's quite the cliffhanger. I'm just remaining hopeful that Aziraphale and Crowley will sort things out via one of their hair-brained schemes. Even if this would be a suitably chaotic way for the kingdom to go down, I'd rather see it stay afloat.

I suppose it's still Christmas technically, so all of the season's greeting to you. Here's hoping the New Year won't be ushered in by tidings of doom from Naples.

Gah! You can't leave things like this! :p

That's quite the cliffhanger. I'm just remaining hopeful that Aziraphale and Crowley will sort things out via one of their hair-brained schemes. Even if this would be a suitably chaotic way for the kingdom to go down, I'd rather see it stay afloat.

I suppose it's still Christmas technically, so all of the season's greeting to you. Here's hoping the New Year won't be ushered in by tidings of doom from Naples.

Yeah, sorry for the cliffhanger, I just couldn't resist to create some suspense in a place like that. I hope that the continuation will not dissapoint :p

New part coming out sometime this week! ( hopefully)

By the way, I just realized, Orthodox Christmas is acutally on January 7th. I didn't drop the ball after all! :D

So, Merry Christmas to all of you! :p

Episode 40- The End of Naples? Part Two
The Thrilling Conclusion!

Naples, 20 December 1522

“…uugggh….”

Aziraphale needed all of his resolve to open his eyes. He soon regretted his decision, as the sunlight stabbed his eyeballs like a pair of knives. He yelped and tried to turn away, but every head turn was as challenging, and about as futile, as trying to drain an ocean with a bucket. The rest of his body didn’t fare much better.

Trying to ignore the crippling pain, he decided to look around to figure out his situation. He was still in the tower, from what he gathered. The door was still barred with the cupboard. The rest of the floor was a mess, littered with toppled bottles, broken dishes and some liquid of suspicious origin. It was already past dawn, that was certain, though he wasn’t sure how late it was.

Even though he was feeling really sick, Aziraphale decided to try to get up. It proved to be really difficult, as his body was being blocked by an unidentified object. He looked down- a mess of black rags was lying on his lower body, effectively hindering his attempts at standing up. He tried to remove them but felt something resembling…. A shoulder?

“Huh….. Crowley?” He shook the arm of his companion. “Crowley! Can you hear me?”

“ughhhhh……” The pile of clothes that turned out to be Crowley started moving slowly. “Oh, Aziraphale? Where am I?” He looked around. “…please don’t tell me we’re in Heaven again.”

“No, we’re still in Naples, as far as I know.” Aziraphale said. “Hey…… my leg is hurting….. could you please get off me?”

“Oh, yeah….” They slowly begun to get up. Crowley was looking pretty bad- his clothes, usually perfectly groomed, were in complete disarray. His face was incredibly pale and his hair were a mess.

“So, Crowley, what happened?” Aziraphale asked, trying to ignore the headache.

“We got drunk and passed out on the floor?”

“This too but….. what about the war? Weren’t there supposed to be Castilian soldiers coming towards Naples?”

“Hmmmm… I indeed remember something like that….” He looked through the window. “Ah! The light!” He yelped. “I don’t see and burning houses or riots on the streets?”

“Have we slept though the whole war?” Aziraphale yelled.

“Nah, it’s highly unlikely….” Crowley flinched when he heard a commotion coming down from below them. He looked down to investigate. There was a group of people screaming and shouting.

“Excuse me, good sirs…” He started. “… but can you be a little bit quieter? People suffer from hangover over here.”

“Oh, excuse me, sir!” The person on the ground exclaimed. “Were you celebrating as well?”

“Celebrating? What exactly?”

“Didn’t you hear? Castile agreed for peace with King Cezare! We are saved!”

Crlowey looked at Aziraphale. They both needed a while to realize what has happened.

“So……” the Angel started. “I wonder how he managed to get Castilians to leave….”

“I don’t know, Angel, but be assured, I’ll have some choice words for him once he comes back…”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pisa, 26 December 1522

“Ah, it’s such a wonderful day!” King Cezare said while standing on the hill and looking at his soldiers gathering around the gates of Pisa. “Castile accepted my peace deal and now the Prince of Pisa is about to give me the keys to his city! Nobody will tell me that this war was a mistake now!”

“To be fair, Sir, Castilian soldiers were already a stone throw from Naples itself. We were lucky that they accepted such a phony peace offer.

Cezare’s face turned sour. He looked at the person who dared to utter such impertinent words to his face- it turned out to be none other than Captain Ignatio Montoya, his personal assistant. He sighed- Ignatio was indeed straight- minded and honest, often to the point of being rude, but he was also a skilled tactician and a very good advisor. Furthermore, they knew each other since childhood and Cezare trusted him completely. Even if he was sometimes irritating, he was well- worth of keeping around.

“Well, my Captain, now’s not the time to wonder about what could’ve been- we’ve come up on top after all. Now, is the army ready to march into the city?”

“Yes, my Liege. The negotiations with the defenders have ended. They will lay down their arms and leave the walls.”

“And not a day too late! Now, Captain, fetch me my mirror.” He stroke his hair. “I need to make sure to look good while negotiating peace deal.”

Ignatio sighed. “This is not something you should be concerned about while on the field of battle, m Liege…”

“What nonsense! What if I run into a chronicler or a poet? I don’t want to be remembered as a slob King!”

The Captain did not comment on that.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Naples, 16 August 1523

“You know, Captain, overall I expected a warmer welcome. After all, we’ve won the war, right? We’ve vassalized Pisa and got a pretty good peace deal with Milan.”

Captain Ignatio and King Cezare were sitting in the palace lounge, discussing recent events. The King expected a great party once he got back. Instead, he got a rather cold welcome from his family and Councilors.

“You can’t blame them, really, after you left them and the entire city at the leisure of the Castilians…”

“They are still upset about this? Come on! Though I guess it’s all right- they will all see my military genius in time…”

Ignatio smiled and nodded.

“I can see your disbelief, my Captain, but I assure you: m star is yet to shine! I will prove worthy of my namesake!”

“I don’t know, my Liege, this seems like a pretty lofty goal to follow….”

“Nonsense! I will bring all of Italy under my knees! The first in line will be…” He pondered for a minute. “Ah, yes, Ferrara! Those pesky Portuguese will regret ever leaving their mark on our beautiful peninsula!”

“Ah, that would be an achievement. Though, first we need to think about rebuilding our economy after the war.”

“Don’t worry, Captain, I have it under control! The Genoese agreed to let us back into our trade league!”

“Ah, yes, I remember! Another success of Neapolitan diplomacy! Now we’ll be able to sell all those Fish that arrive from our colonies.”

“Oh, would you stop with the sarcasm…. Our partnership will prove to be advantageous, you’ll see. Though, I’m a bit concerned about the war they got themselves into…”

“Yeah, getting into conflict with both Austria and Bavaria…. All that just for Corsica… Let’s hope they get out of it without much harm.”

“It’s concerning to be sure. I’m quite worried about Austria as well. They seem to be getting quite powerful.”

“Indeed they are, my Liege. They managed to beat Hungary in the last war, not to mention they annexed Croatia a while back.”

“Poor Hungarians, they lost their Pecs! I hope they will recover soon.”

Ignatio sighed. “I don’t think they’ll be getting out of that one, your Majesty. At least we can be safe from Austria’s wrath for now due to the truce.”

“Oh, my dear Captain, I have so many ideas for glorious conquest in the meantime….”

“I’m afraid it’ll have to wait, my King…”

Cezare sighed. “Always spoiling the fun…”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naples, 15 September 1523

“Captain, I have found a solution to our military strength problem!”

Captain Ignatio looked upon the King with unabashed suspicion. Cezare, while a skilled tactician, has proven to be quite headstrong and stubborn in his ideas, most of which didn’t turn out to be all that great. It was hard to dissuade him of his decisions. Ignatio was seriously concerned this time, as apparently national security was at stake.

“What is it this time, my King?”

“Oh, my dear Captain, a glorious opportunity has presented itself to us! A chance to elevate our country to the…”

“My Liege, I value your company very much, but I also value my time, so if you could just get to the point…”

“Tsk…. No imagination in this one…. Very well, though, remember when we were allied with Castile, right?”

“An alliance you foolishly discarded in order to vassalize Pisa? Indeed, I remember that.”

“Gah, it’s not about that! The alliance is over now but back then Naples was at its height. There was no one who could threaten us!”

“I’m sure you’re exaggerating a bit, your Majesty, but you’re kind of right. Still, we have no such all now.”

“But what if we found one, huh?” Cezare asked with a glint in his eye.

“Well, that’s a great thought, my Liege, but allied don’t exactly grow on trees…”

“That’s where you’re wrong, my Captain, for I have secured an alliance with an incredibly powerful country!”

…….

“…You’re supposed to ask what country it is.”

“Good grief…” Ignatio sighed. “But all right….. What country is it?”

“France, my dear captain…”

Ignatio looked at the King dumbstruck.

“Uhh….. that’s great, my Liege, but…”

“Oh, I know what you’re thinking, Ignatio: we and France were enemies back then. That’s all in the past, though! I believe we can work out our differences for the good of both of our nations!”

“No….. it’s fine, your Majesty, there is only one slight problem….. France is currently at war with Burgundy and they appear to be losing.”

Cezare looked flabbergasted. “Wha…. Why didn’t anybody tell me about this?!”

Ignatio laughed. “Well, my Liege, if you actually told anyone about your idea maybe things would’ve looked different…”

-----------------------------------------------------

Despite Cezare’s second thoughts, the alliance with France would remain in effect, as even when beaten, the French were still a formidable force. It was better to be on their good side.

The following months brought a couple of changes to the landscape of Europe. The Kingdom of Milan decided to take advantage on the struggling Genoese by declaring war on them.

In October, the diplomatic power of Naples increased once more, as an alliance with Prussia was proposed. While quite distant, the Prussians could provide some use in a future war against Austria.

While the Genoese were fighting on the mainland, another country decided to steal their prize by attacking Corsica. Byzantium annexed Corsica in October, making the Genoese war pointless.

France’s struggles continued and in November they decided to call their new Neapolitan allies for help. Naples had limited ways to actually help them, though King Cezare decided to honor the call.

Later that year, it turned out that Ignatio’s skepticism about the trade deal with Genoa turned out to be untrue- the amount of goods flowing from Neapolitan colonies has caused an economical boom.

------------------------------------------------------
Naples, 14 November 1525

“Crowley, I’m worried about our King. He hasn’t left his room for weeks.” Aziraphale said to Crowley as they were walking through the hall.

“Ah, don’t worry. He’s just stressed about the ‘great’ alliance with France possibly failing. I’m sure he’ll be fine…”

“I hope you’re right…” As they were talking, they passed the King’s room. Captain Ignatio was just leaving it.

“Hey, Captain!” Crowley exclaimed. “Any news on the King?”

Ignatio sighed heavily.

“Oh, is he still feeling bad?” The Angel asked him with concern.
“He’s actually feeling better. The peace deal between France and Burgundy actually wasn’t that bad. They were only forced to release Holland.”

“So why the grim look, then?”

“The King is slowly getting back to his usual self, though he still seems a bit out of it. He constantly babbles about his distant Scottish ancestor or something…..”

“Ancestor? What do you mean by that?”

“I can’t tell you for sure, as I did not understand half the words he said. Though there was some ramblings about haggis and Mars bars..."

Crowley smirked. Aziraphale, on the other hand, looked absolutely mortified.

“Maybe he’s…. gone mad?”

“A Valois mad? It can’t be…” Crowley quipped. “I hope we won’t have to impeach him…”

“Something like that won’t be necessary…” Ignatio said. “I’m sure it’s only a temporal thing. He sometimes has histories like that, you know…”

“Tell me about it…” Crowley said. “Though it’s probably best to keep an eye on him.”

“It’s fine…. Anyway, how was the council meeting?”

“Ah, it was all right….” Aziraphale stated. “There was an influx of colonists to the New World after the recent economical boom.”

“I’d rather say that people are fleeing as far from Naples as they can…” Crowley said.

“So… they didn’t discuss the King’s issue?” The captain asked.

“No, nobody mentioned that.”

“That’s good. Well then, keep up the good work?”

“You too, Captain!” Aziraphale exclaimed as they went on their ways.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The condition of King Cezare turned out to be only temporary, much to Ignatio’s relief. The King of Naples returned to his duties shortly, though most people, including Crowley, were probably wishing that he stayed in his room.

Regardless of that, the world moved on at its own pace. In December, Burgundy forced Aquileia to release Sardinia, thus opening one more possibility for conquest.

In June of 1525 an important member of the Council, Master of Mint Ferrante Terreni, has unfortunately passed away. King Cezare was forced to hire a replacement- a young and promising banker called Fabio Vasari.

In July, dissatisfied with the pesky sunlight, the Scots decided to indulge in their favorite pastime- beating up the English.

England was screwed once again. It was thus only slightly surprising when only in October they ceded for peace with France.

Naples still looked for opportunities to expand…

Hi there! I like them Naples so much I nominated them for the Weekly AAR showcase.

Thank you for making me laugh repeatedly and at great length, and for making me all nostalgic about EU3 world maps that aren't just the same blobs over and over again.

Hi there! I like them Naples so much I nominated them for the Weekly AAR showcase.

Thank you for making me laugh repeatedly and at great length, and for making me all nostalgic about EU3 world maps that aren't just the same blobs over and over again.

Thank you very much for your nomination! I'm glad you and other people still enjoy this AAR! I'll try to keep up with the wuality work.

Ah, did I forgot about something? Oh, update..... You see, there are exams coming up but I'll try to write someting in the near future. Keep your hopes up!

Episode 41- All is Fair in Love and Naples
Also features a long- overdue pants joke.

Naples, 14 April 1526

Four years has passed since the almost disastrous war between Naples and Pisa and things were getting back to normal. Most of Europe didn’t even notice the conflict- money was still flowing as usual- in fact, a new Center of Trade was established in December of 1525, in Lotharingian province of Metz. Will it last longer than Reykjavik? It still remains to be seen.

EUIII Nostalgia Snippet #2453: Small countries with relatively big incomes making Centers of Trade everywhere.

“Why should I care about some center of trade, Captain? We don’t even have any active merchants!”

Captain Ignatio sighed. King Cezare was itching to go to another war for a long time. He tried his best to dissuade him out of the idea, instead trying to steer him mind towards domestic policies. It was like trying to redirect a river, though Ignatio wasn’t easily discouraged.

“My King, I think we should pay more attention to our income. The last war really strained our budget…”

“Yeah, I know….. The thing is, though, the trade competition is so high our merchants don’t have a chance on the markets! I wish we were living in simpler times, when you could just send merchants to trade and not worry about a thing….”

Ignatio laughed. “That would be quite something, your Majesty….. Though, if trading is out of the question, we can always invest in the provinces…. Firenze is long due for a Counting House….”

“Very well…” Cezare said, disinterested, and waved his hand in a similarly bored fashion. “Now, my Captain, I believe there were talks about Castile in today’s Council meeting?”

Ignatio sighed yet again. He was hoping that one day Cezare will stop sleeping throughout the meetings, though this hope was waning with each passing day.
“Yes, my King. Castile has won wars against Tunisia and Morocco. They gained substantial territories in the area.”

The King looked at the map attached to the report and Shrugged. “Uhg… These borders are dreadful! These Spaniards really need to hire some strategists with aesthetic sense! But I guess we have a competitor in the area now. Keep me updated on the information, Ignatio!”

“Yes, I will. Good day, my Liege, I must excuse myself.” The Captain left.

“If only you paid more attention to things your advisors say you’d me more informed…” He looked towards the ceiling and sighed heavily.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s been over 30 years since Filippo Savaranola and his brave foot have taken the first steps on the shores of the New World. Since then, Neapolitan colonial possessions were only growing. In fact, the influx of citizens was so large, a new settlement site was needed. Thus, a new colony was established in June of 1526, in the region of Pernambuco.

It seemed that King Cezare’s concerns about Castile weren’t entirely baseless. The former allies of Naples were starting to expand not only through warfare, but also peaceful expansion. In July, they decided to lay claims on the inheritance in Sweden. Were they to succeed, Castile would become a formidable foe indeed.

However in Naples, everything was going all right so far….

25 September 1526

“My King, I present to you a matter of utmost importance…”

An envoy entered the Royal Chamber, where King Cezare was sitting on his throne, surrounded by the council members.

“Very well, let’s hear it!”

The messenger stepped forward.

“My Liege, I’m sure you’re aware of the terrible event that was the murder of Count Spantania that happened a few days ago.”

“Hmmm…. Indeed I have, though you’re more than welcome to share some details if you know some.”

“All right…. So, the guards found a body in the ditch, with an arrow stuck in its knee…”

“A knee, huh? What a terrible way to go for a Count….” Crowley said, looking morbidly curious.

“What? No, dear Councilor, that was not the Count who was laying down there, just some nondescript city dweller. Don Spantania found the body and made fun of the arrow placement. His companions whacked him because, frankly, they were tired of that old joke. Count Spantania died of his wounds in bed three days ago.”

Captain Ignatio rolled his eyes. The squabbles between nobles aren’t something he’s unfamiliar with, though this one looked more serious, as there was already blood spilled. Angry nobles can be very vengeful, as he could testify.

“So, the count’s dead…. I’m sad to hear that but why is it such an important matter?” Cezare queried.

“My King, the murder of Count Spantania was but a catalyst for an uproar in Neapolitan nobility. Some of the noblemen demand execution of the perpetrators, others are siding with them. I’m afraid that if the Crown doesn’t take action, me might have a civil war on hand…”

Cezare pondered. “What do you think, Councilors?”

“My King, I believe we should intervene in this matter. Tensions between nobles can turn into really nasty wars, especially with recent religious conflicts. There won’t be any winners here.” Ignatio decided to say. Other councilors agreed with him.

“Very well. I will condone a official trial and the perpetrators will be judged according to the law. You are now free, dear Sir, have a pleasant day.”

“Thank you for your attention, your Majesty.” The envoy bowed and left the room.

King Cezare smiled. “See? It’s not so hard to govern a country!”

Ignatio sighed. “My King, I’m glad that you’re so enthusiastic about it but I really think you should concentrate more on the matters of the state…”

Cezare frowned. “Your lack of faith in me fills me with sadness, Captain. But, you shall see soon that I have the good of Naples in my best interest!” The King stood up from his throne and started circling the room. “I’ll give you an example, my Captain! Our possessions in Italy are divided and it hurts our economy…”

“That’s right, my King, but what can we possibly do about it….”

“Well, my Captain, I have the perfect solution!”

Ignatio turned pale. “You Majesty….. You’re surely not thinking about declaring war on the Pope!”

“No, Ignatio, That’s not at all what I had in mind….”

“Aww, too bad…” Crowley expressed his disappointment.

“….I was referring to the Duke of Urbino. The little state was our faithful vassal for a very long time. I think it’s time to strengthen our bond!”

“That’s great, your Majesty, but what makes you think that the Duke of Urbino will agree to our proposal?”

“Well, Captain, I can’t tell you, but trust me, he will!”

Ignatio decided to give up on rational arguments and instead shook his shoulders. “All right, my King, we can try…”

Cezare smiled broadly. “See? That’s way better! Now, I think we can all call it a day, then?”

---------------------------------------------------------

Despite Captain Ignatio’s skepticism, King Cezare turned out to be right- Duke Urbino agreed to the proposal of incorporation into Naples.

The diplomatic aggression of Castile continued, though this time they decided to target a nation much closer to Naples. By including Byzantium in their Sphere of Influence they made new wars against the Byzantines difficult.

Because the war to conquest was closed on the east for a time being, King Cezare decided to try a different angle of approach. Portugal’s occupation of Ferrara had been an eyesore for Naples for quite some time and Cezare decided to do something about it. While outright declaration of war was out of the question for now, Naples decided to issue a warning to the King of Portugal- had they go to war with any neighbors of Naples, King Cezare would have a perfect opportunity.

Speaking of opportunities, the colonial possessions of Naples continued to grow still. In fact one of the villages has grown enough to become a full- fledged city, just in the beginning of 1527.

In 1527, it was apparent that the star of England was waning rapidly. After yet another humiliating defeat at the hands of Scotland, England was reduced to the provinces of London, Kent and Glamorgan.

October saw yet another war in the East, this time between Muscowy and Lithuania. Will it be the war that decides the balance of power in Russia?

Meanwhile, Naples was enjoying a period of relative peace. However, this was bound to change soon…

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naples, 19 August 1528

The Council of Naples was just finishing the routine report on the state of the country. The King and most of the councilors already left, leaving Captain Ignatio, Aziraphale and Crowley to finish the paperwork.

“Thank God it’s finally done!” Ignatio shouted while throwing his hands in the air. He promptly stood out and left the council chamber, without saying goodbye to the rest.

“You know, Crowley, I’m starting to worry about the Captain. He seems really stressed out.” Aziraphale said when he observed the scene.

Crowley scoffed. “Bah! If I was spending all the time with our King, I’d be stressed out as well.”

“You know, I doubt it’s the King’s fault. He’s gotten better since the war with Pisa. He even offered to help the natives in the colonies when a disease struck them down!”

“Yeah, but Ignatio practically begged him to spare the money. He was desperately trying to repair the Royal Family’s reputation after that stunt with Ferrante…”

Aziraphale nodded. The accident involving the royal cousin and heir apparent and a cabbage cart, which didn’t involve pants, was infamous in the city. Captain Ignatio went out of his way to try to repair the King’s image.

“…On top of that…” Crowley continued. “Genoa has just annexed Milan. Some people are worried that a new enemy is growing at our northern border and the King is doing nothing about it.”

“Yeah, but see, Crowley….. King Cezare did a lot to improve the country’s economic stability…”

They both looked at each other and sighed heavily.

“I suppose you might be right after all…” Aziraphale said. “I just hope that the Captain will be all right…”

Meanwhile, in the other part of the Palace, Captain Ignatio returned to his room and landed heavily on the bed. His thoughts were full of bitterness and accusations. Even though he and Cezare knew each other for a long time and trusted each other, he was growing more and more disillusioned about his ability at running the country.

“Why can’t he just listen to the sound advice of the Council?” We wondered to himself.

Suddenly he heard a suspicious sound coming from behind him. He got out of bed- there was rummaging coming from the cupboard.

“What the…” He said as he slowly approached the source of the noise.

As we came closer, he recognized some sort of voice spewing out curses and enmities towards various inanimate objects. Ignatio gripped the handle of his sword, which he always carried with him, and slowly opened the cupboard.

It was filled with pots and plates, as was expected. However, one of the pots was vibrating slightly.

“…Ugh….. finally I managed to get in…. I swear, pots these days…… Ahem…. I’ve noticed that you’ve been listening to me….”

Ignatio’s body tensed as he heard the sound of a seemingly disembodied voice. “Who are you and what do you want from me?”

The voice laughed. It wasn’t a pleasant laugh, but I wasn’t annoying either- there was something otherworldly and sinister about it. “I want only one thing, dear Captain, though, I dare to say I’m more interested in what you want…”

Ignatio’s grip on the weapon tightened. “Explain yourself immediately.”

“Oh, but of course…. See, I’ve noticed that you’ve been having trouble with your dear King….. You think the country should fall into better hands?”

“That’s nonsense. I wouldn’t even dare to stand against Cezare!” He shouted out.

“Oh, I’m not insinuating such a thing, though maybe I can provide help in, hmmmm, convincing dear Cezare towards the matters of the state….”

Ignatio stood before the cupboard dumbfounded. “Why should I even listen to you?! It might be a Devil’s trickery!” He was more and more convinced that he should report that to the Bishop immediately.

“Now, my Boy, don’t be too hasty in accusations. I’m sure the King wouldn’t like if the Captain of the Guard went telling everyone that his palace is haunted…”

Captain sighed heavily. “All right…. I don’t like this, but the matters of the state are more important to me…. More to the point, though: What are you proposing and what do you want from me in return?”

The creepy voice laughed yet again. “Ah, straight to business. I like it! Very well…. I will help you deal with our dear King, though I want one very peculiar thing in return….” The air suddenly became very cold and Ignatio was visibly shivering.

The voice coming from the cupboard roared out two simple words.

“YOUR SOUL.”

Ignatio gasped in horror. He knew exactly what was happening and he wanted nothing to do with it.

“Leave me alone, Demon! I won’t take part in your scheme!”

“But, don’t leave so early, my Captain! We can have a little party together!”

The world became spinning and Ignatio was soon losing his grip on reality. The cupboard was jiggling violently and the Captain saw a dark, tall figure slowly emerging from the shadows.

As he lost consciousness, a grim figure was standing above him, visibly satisfied.

“Yep, I still got it…..”

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Captain Ignatio woke up the following day with a giant headache and only very vague recollection of what has happened. The rest of the world moved on as if nothing has happened.

In October of 1528, Lithuania made peace in which it ceded large swaths of land to Muscowy, assuring the Russian dominance in the region.

Meanwhile back at home, breakthroughs in statesmanship made a new type of government possible- a monarchy with administrators instead of vassal lords. While the idea seemed interesting, it didn’t get a whole lot of approval in Naples just yet.

The Neapolitan colonial empire was growing with each passing year. The beginning of 1529 marked the foundation of a new settlement in Ceara, expanding the Neapolitan presence in the New World.

However, the truly groundbreaking news came later that year.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naples, 20 September 1529

The news of the war between Portugal and Castile spread pretty fast and caused quite the stir in Naples. It was surely an interesting development- the two countries were usually friendly with each other.

But it was also an opportunity. With Castile at war, their declaration of support for Portugal was rendered null. Thus, Naples had the perfect opportunity to declare war on them and retake Ferrara.

“So, my dear Councilors, we are moving out tomorrow to wage war upon Portugal! This will be a glorious campaign that will surely bring us triumph.”

“Yes, my Liege, this is a great opportunity for us.” Captain Ignatio agreed.

“I’m curious, Captain…. You agreed pretty fast to my proposal…. Usually you are opposed to my propositions of glorious warfare. What changed your mind?”

“Does it matter, my Kink? This was is surely a righteous cause. We should take back Italian land from foreign aggressors!”

“That we’ll do, my Captain! Now, my Councilors, I wish you all well. I will write as soon as we’ll arrive in Ferrara.”

As they were leaving, Aziraphale and Crowley were observing them curiously, Ignatio in particular.

“Didn’t you notice that Captain Ignatio is acting weird recently?” Aziraphale asked.

“Yeah, I did… He was always agreeing with the King and his ideas….. He even kept bringing this dirty rodent of his with his to the Council meetings….”

“Wait, a rodent? I didn’t know Ignatio had a pet…”

“It’s hard to notice but indeed he has….. A hamster, I presume. I didn’t notice it until about a year ago, actually, he might’ve gotten it recently…”

Aziraphale looked at the King and his friend riding off. “You know, Crowley, I have a bad feeling about this….”

Episode 42- The Madness in Naples

The curse of De Valois- A Treaty about The Madness in Naples and the last days of the Neapolitan de Valois line
By an anonymous author

Throughout history, the nation of Naples left a major mark on the history of Europe, and indeed, the world. The Neapolitan kingdom helped in expelling foreign powers from Italy, stopped the Ottoman intrusion upon the Balkans, was directly responsible for the Byzantine Revival (and consequently caused its downfall in later years) and kick- started the Renaissance as well as the great geographical discoveries of the Sixteenth Century.

Over the course of over a century, the fate of Naples was tied to de Valois dynasty. From Louis II onwards, they lead the country to prosperity and splendor. However, after the unfortunate demise of Alberto de Valois, found murdered in the alley along with his wife, the rulers of Naples were mired with misfortunes and accidents. As a result, no Neapolitan ruler after Alberto died a natural death. All of that led people to believe that the house of de Valois, or indeed all of Naples, was a target of some sort of ancient conspiracy. While there is little evidence to support those claims, it is true that the story of the last days of King Cezare de Valois is a chilling one.

By all accounts, it all began in September of 1529, when Naples declared war upon Portugal. People were mostly enthusiastic about the war- Portugal was entangled in another war at the moment and their allies were mostly irrelevant. The kingdom of Naples could easily achieve dominance both on land and at sea.

One of the biggest lauders of the conflict was Ignatio Montoya, Captain of the Guard and Cezare’s close friend and trusted advisor. Notably, he was opposed to prior conflicts of Naples, as he believed that the country should focus on internal matters instead. Some say that this sudden change of heart was a foreshadowing of his future deeds.

The war was progressing well. Before the end of 1529 Neapolitan troops advanced into Portugal- controlled Ferrara.

Around the same time, Naples was offered an alliance from Norway. King Cezare, always eager to expand his influence, agreed.

When 1530 rolled over, the Neapolitan coalition was in full offensive. In January, the Kingdom of Armagnac, pressured by France, plead for an early bailout from the conflict. Accepting the peace deal was risky, as the decision could’ve alienated the French, however King Cezare decided to accept the offer.

It didn’t take long for the city of Ferrara to fall- in February, the Neapolitan flags were waving upon the city walls.

While the fall of the city was a important event, Cezare knew that he’d need more than Ferrara to negotiate a decent peace. He and his generals thought up a cunning plan to invade Portugal directly. Portuguese forces were still quite significant, though they were mostly tied up in fighting Castile. This gave Naples an occasion to strike into the heart of the enemy and end the war quickly.

Whole Neapolitan navy assisted in the assault and soon enough, on July of 1530 12000 troops landed in Algarve. The moods in Naples were lightened by the success of the operation. All in all, the country was developing well. During his absence, King Cezare left the matters of the state to his advisors. They have managed to improve the country’s income by developing local trade. New trade goods were flowing from the colonies, improving the country’s economic standing.

The offensive in Algarve continued and while Neapolitan troops were mostly successful in defeating small enemy regiments, the generals were disgruntled about the lack of any real fight. King Cezare managed to curb their enthusiasm, saying that they cannot risk their position.

The war was progressing beyond well. In September, the island of Madeira was conquered by one of Neapolitan vassals. One month later, the siege of Algarve ended.

During that period, many soldiers returning from the war have claimed that they saw Captain Ignatio in front of the King’s tent, at different times of the day. Many have suggested that the young captain was planning his sinister schemes during that time. Whether this is true or not, we may ever know, however the King trusted his right- hand advisor despite his suspicious behavior. His unyielding belief in one particular person in that regard proved to be his downfall. But let’s not get to that just yet…

Neapolitan economy flourished during that period, despite the ongoing war, no doubt thanks to the brilliant work of King Cezare’ s advisors. Trading with the natives proved to be an excellent decision, as thanks to the economic boom the colonies were prospering as never before.

Meanwhile, the long process of integrating the first Neapolitan colony, the Canarias, into the country was finally completed. This meant one thing in particular- ships could safely anchor on the islands now, thus the range of operation for Neapolitan interest has increased greatly.

Just as the year of 1531 rolled around, King Cezare and his army accomplished his final goal- the city of Lisbon has fallen to Neapolitan troops, forcing the king of Portugal to the negotiating table.

Cezare did not ask for much- aside for Ferrara, he demanded revocation of some treaties as well as a modest sum of gold to compensate for the expenses of the campaign.

With this success, Naples was one step closer to achieving the ultimate victory- driving the foreign powers out of Italy. Only Austria, clutching over the remains of Venice, was left- a formidable foe to be sure and one Naples could hardly take on alone.

His ego inflated by the success, King Cezare and his troops returned to Naples to inform the nation of their victory. But instead of celebration, he has met with a much more gruesome fate….

Naples, 4 May 1531

King Cezare glanced once more upon the letter, lit by the faint light of the candle on his desk. The letter arrived quite late, though it was too important for him to ignore. The French king war requesting his help in a war against Norway and Bohemia, forcing him to choose between one of his allies.

“It’s unfortunate to lose our Norwegian allies so soon but I guess we have no choice in the matter. I’ll send the king of France my reply tomorrow.” He said, mostly to himself, as he wasn’t expecting a reply from nobody else. It took him a while to realize that Captain Ignatio was still with him. It was unusual for the Captain to forfeit his duties, though the King decided not to question him on that.

“Another war, my King? Haven’t you just returned from the last one?”

Cezare was surprised by the bitterness in his voice, though he deducted that his friend must be tired.

“I know, my Captain, I don’t wish another was this soon either, but I can’t afford to lose France as an ally. We’ll give them token support but nothing more.”

He was sure that the Captain will be satisfied by his explanations, however, he remained as dismissive as he was before.

“Why are you so sure about France’s good intentions? Weren’t we enemies just a century before?”

“That’s in the past, my Captain. The times have changed. We’re much stronger now than we were a hundred years ago. The French know that and would rather have us as friends than enemies, trust me.”

“Maybe that’s true, what they say….. That de Valoi may seem patriotic and innovative on the outside, but in reality they are just stuck- up French lovers….. One could say that the Italians could tolerate a Frenchman as their ruler for so long. And since you rule over most of Italy now, people….. might….. get….. ideas….”

The King looked upon Ignatio’ s face- it was still mostly obscured by darkness, even though it should be fairly visible in the candlelight. It put shivers down his spine.

“Captain…. Please, calm down. It seems that the nerves are getting to you. Let us take some rest and we shall speak of this matter tomorrow.”

“Oh, you shall have plenty of rest, your Majesty…” Ignatio flashed a smile, the kind you could cut wood with. Cezare backed off in terror, only to encounter a bookcase behind him. The Captain was very quick to jump towards him.

“Ignatio, please… stop this madness…… and put down this……. AYYYYYEEEE!”

King Cezare’ s screams echoed through the dark corridors of the palace as Ignatio’ s blade stabbed him again and again, each thrust leaving a wound that would’ve been lethal on its own. The King collapsed on the floor, drenched in his own blood.

Captain Ignatio observed the lifeless body of the King, his breathing fast at first, as the thirst of blood in his mind was being slowly replace by a terrible realization…
“My God…. What have I done?.....”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naples, 4 May 1531

“You know, I can’t believe that Captain Ignatio would do such a thing…”

Aziraphale nodded. He and Crowley were sitting in the Council chamber, both of them looking rather grim.

“Yeah, it’s a shame he was such a promising leader….So was Cezare, actually, despite your initial skepticism.”

“He was all right, maybe not quite living up to his predecessors, but the kid had potential. I wonder whether I was being too harsh on him…”

They both shared a sigh.

“It’s so quiet here…” Aziraphale observed as he looked around the empty room.

“Yeah, everybody left. And I don’t mean just the councilors. Most of the staff ran away, apparently scared of some kind of ‘de Valois curse’. “

“It’s going to be really hard to find servants to maintain the court now. IF there will be a court. Tell me, what will happen to Naples now?”

Crowley shrugged. “I don’t know. Don Leandro was running around like a mad dog since early in the morning. He’s likely the sole reason this country didn’t implode. As for what happens next…. Well, if we’re lucky, we won’t get our innards removed by some rioting peasant!”

“With the royal line gone, who’s gonna take the throne now? Will there be no king? Will the Council establish a republic?”

“Perish the thought!” Crowley exclaimed. “Have you seen the City Council? Giving them power over the entire country would be run by a hundred Louises. We absolutely need a new King.”

“Don Leandro probably has a way of dealing with this…” Aziraphale looked behind him. “To think that such a terrible event would happen right under our noses..”

“Yeah, I have to admit, Angel, Captain Ignatio was beneath my suspicion the entire time. I would’ve never though he was capable of murdering the King…”

“Maybe it wasn’t entirely his fault…. He claimed that he was possessed by some kind of force…”

“Bah! I would’ve said such a thing if I were suspected of regicide, and I’m quite incapable of being possessed! I think you’re way to trusting, Aziraphale.”

“Maybe you’re right, but considering all the strange things going on in this place, I wouldn’t rule it out… There’s some sinister power at work here, Crowley, and it escapes our sight every time…”

“Hey, you two! I don’t want to hear anything about ‘sinister powers’ in this house ever again!”

Aziraphale and Crowley turned around to see the person addressing them. It was a middle- aged man of average height, dressed in formal clothes. His serious yet somewhat pompous demeanor indicated that he was a high- profile nobleman.

“Huh, who may you be, good sir?” Asked Aziraphale, genuinely curious.

The person seemed genuinely delighted to explain himself.

“I, good sir, am Ferrante Alberto Borghese of House Borghese, Ferraran Baron and, as a nephew of the unfortunately deceased King Cezare, the legitimate successor to the Throne of Naples.”

Crowley was impressed. Up until that day, he wasn’t aware that you can emphasize capital letters in speech. I guess you learn something new every day.

“Well, there you have it…” He whispered to Aziraphale. “This should be interesting….

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, look which AAR was dug out of its grave this time…..

I’m terribly sorry that this AAR has been dead for such a long time. I had a really rough time at school for the last couple of months and I just couldn’t find the time and motivation to continue this AAR.
Fret not, though- just in time for summer, Naples is back! As soon as I figure out some technical difficulties we should get back on track This time I promise

Last edited:
If Ferrante doesn't have an unfortunate accident like any competent heir does, Naples should be in for a mini golden-age.

Anoter war
typo

If Ferrante doesn't have an unfortunate accident like any competent heir does, Naples should be in for a mini golden-age.

typo

Good catch, thanks!

Yeah, I have some concerns about Ferrante's odds of survival, though hopefully the game will throw me a bone this time.

Wonderful to see another update at last! Good also to see that it seems to bring with it the promise of a bright future for Naples. I say just have Ferrante succumb to some traditional Neapoltian intrigue and let the next generation take over.