• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rest in peace, Louis. Maybe he can hook up with Aziraphale (or perhaps Crowley?) from his new home?

Alfonso looks competent enough, though. Does this mean you will perhaps be focusing in more diplomatic means of gaining power and influence?

In any case, another very enjoyable update. Looking forward to our new king's reign!

Yeah, I'll miss Louis too. It was so easy to write jokes around him. I'll have to find someone else to make fun of.
Speaking of Louis communicating from the dead, you just gave me an excellent idea :D

And you're right, I'll try to take a different approach with Alfonso at helm. He'll focus more on developing the country and streghtening its forces, though he'll go to war when the opportunity arises.

Next update coming this weekend.

Episode 13- Repercussions of War
And then Louis was a zombie. Also featuring some racist soldiers and Christopher Reeve jokes. Because those are always good.

Alfonso couldn’t believe his very eyes. He was standing in the royal chamber, at least what he remembered was the royal chamber, as he couldn’t recognize it anymore. Walls were lit by candles of various sizes and colors. The floor was filled with occult writings in languages he didn’t even recognize. In the middle, where the throne used to be, was a large pentagram with a table in the middle. Though it all paled in comparison with what was standing on the table…

“Hey, Alfonso! Don’t be shy, your father wants to see you!”

Louis’ severed head was sitting on top of the table, all covered with weird markings and sewn to what seemed to be a deer heart impaled with a crystal. That wasn’t the weirdest part though. The head was very much alive and animate, complete with all of Louis’ mannerisms.

“Fa… Father? What happened to you?”

“Oh, it’s all thanks to our friend Crowley! He heard how much people around here missed me and wanted to do something so that they can have me forever!”

“It wasn’t easy, I tell you. Had to go to a place no one’s discovered yet. But it worked!”

“See, son? Now we can visit Louis all the time!”

“Mother? You’re on this as well?”

“Why so resistant to the idea? Louis brought our country to glory, now we can listen to his inspired advice!”

“*facepalm* Crowley, when we said we wanted to ‘immortalize’ the King, we thought more in lines of honoring his memory!” Thank God Adriano is the one in his right mind.

“And what about all of this? Crowley, if Inquisition sees this, they’ll want all of our heads!”

“Let them come then!” Said Louis’ severed head. “We will show them the true power of Naples! No one will dare accuse us of heresy!”

“No…. one… will… oppose…. Louis…”

“And who’s that…. Oh God…. Ricardo? What have they done to you?”

“It felt not fair to leave him out. Now the whole family’s back together!”

“No… this can’t be… I won’t stand for this!”

“Oh come on, Alfonso! It will be fun!”

“Yes, it will be very fun… hahahahah!”

“Hawhawhawhaw!”

HAWHAWHAWHAW

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

………………………..

“Alfonso, is everything all right?”

Alfonso looked around. It was night time and he was in his bed. His wife was right next to him, looking worried.

“Oh… I’m fine, darling. I just had a bad dream.” He was still shaking despite being awake for quite some time.

“You’ve been sleeping badly for a while now. Are you sure you’re okay?”

“It’s just stress I guess. Sorry for keeping you awake at night.”

“You should worry more about yourself than about me.” He felt Irina’s arms wrapping around his shoulders. “You’re pushing yourself too hard and you’re feeling the effects. Don’t you think you should take it easy for a while?”

“I know, it’s just… there’s so much work to be done and there’s always more ahead. I don’t know how my father coped with all this.”

“You’re not in this alone, you know. You’ve got me, your mother, Adriano and all other people to help you.”

“Thank you, Irina. I don’t know what I’d do without you sometimes.”

“Always there when you need me.”

“You know, I could think of a thing or two that I need right now…”

“Really? What could you… ah…” A pillow lands on Alfonso’s head. “I can tell you what you need right now- sleep. You have a tough day ahead of you.”

“*grumble* I never get appreciation…”

“Good night, Alfonso…”

------------------------------------------------------
Naples, 14 May 1434

Only half a year has passed since Alfonso’s coronation and it was already apparent that his reign will be noticeably different than his father’s. Young King focused his time and energy on improving his country’s economy and power base. Alfonso knew that if Naples was to become a major player, it would need a strong economy to power up its war effort. Thus, a number of new constabularies were established throughout the country to increase income.
He also knew that there was a significant threat to the country’s stability- the revolt in Greece. The revolutionaries could not be allowed to succeed. The problem was, Naples’ army was still battered after the war with the Ottomans and reinforcements weren’t exactly flowing. Something had to be done.

“Alfonso, my King, me and Adriano have a briefing for you.”

“Excellent. I’ll hear you right away.”

Alfonso knew that one person cannot build a country alone. He needed skilled and loyal men to achieve his goals. Sadly, Louis’ court wasn’t exactly known for either. Though even there one could find someone useful.

Adriano del Rosso agreed to continue to serve de Valois as a head diplomat. He was close to Alfonso, maybe even closer than his father was, and his expertise would prove crucial for the country’s well- being.

The other ‘secret weapon’ of the King was Leandro Mancinetti.

Leandro studied on Europe’s best universities, and has been knows as one of the world’s best statesmen. It was unclear why would he chose to work in Naples, but Alfonso was glad he did. Though he served under Louis for quite some time, he was always standing aside until young King picked him up as his steward.
“Now, sir…” Adriano begun “You asked about the situation in Germany, and there it is:”

He handed him a map.

“Hmm… looks pretty bad indeed. Burgundy might be trouble it they capitalize on these gains.”

“Looks like a decisive victory for the Burgundians. They’ve crushed all major resistance. The Emperor, as always, remains blind on the transgression.”

“Still, Burgundy is a member, so there’s not much they could do when they had a valid claim for war.”

“Anything else I need to know about?”

“There has been a war in Scandinavia, sir. Denmark have acquired a large chunk of Norwegian territory.”

“Well, that’s one way to make a personal union more personal.”

“Indeed. One more thing, dear King. After Louis’ unfortunate demise, you’ve been left with one more province than anticipated.”

“Ah, yes, Anjou. What do you think we should do with it?”

“It is a disconnected territory bordering an unfriendly realm. We won’t get much of an use of it and we couldn’t defend it even if we tried.”

“I understand. You suggest granting it independence? It would get swallowed up by the French eventually.”

“You know, my King, there are other things you can do with land.”

“You mean sell it? But to who? I definitely won’t give it to the French.”

“If there only was a country that was a natural enemy to France…”

“I don’t know, Leandro. This is an ancestral land of my family after all. I’ll think about it.”

“Very well, sir. I don’t want to rush you, but you might consider making a decision fast. The French won’t wait forever for an opportunity and with a disconnected province held by a weaker country with barely any allies to speak of me might just post signs with ‘invaders welcome!’ on ‘em”

Giving away Anjou wasn’t an easy decision, but sadly there wasn’t any other option that didn’t mean it getting under French control. Alfonso could only make sure that his family’s homeland wasn’t sold cheap. In diplomacy, there’s little place for sentiments.”

Also pictured: Moroccan Brittany; a short-lived but nontheless terrifying thing.

“My King, the situation in Greece is dire. The rebels are gaining more ground every day and if we don’t take decisive measures we may lose control of the region.”

“Our manpower reserves?”

“Depleted, sir. It would take months just to replenish our existing forces. Recruiting new ones is out of the question.”

“*sigh* Then, hire mercenary teams and dispatch them to help suppress the rebels.”

“This won’t help our financial situation at all, sir. We might need to mint money to cover the expenses.”

“I know, but the situation is desperate. We’ll deal with it later when the danger is gone.”

“Agreed. There’s one more thing, sir.”

“What is it then, Leandro?”

“*sigh* I wish I wouldn’t have to ask you this, as I know your answer but… we desperately need leadership in Greece. The problem is, our officer pools are suffering after the war. You might… You might be forced to lead the troops yourself.”

Any emotions disappeared from Alfonso’s face.

“I know how much you dislike warfare, but the presence of the King would give our troops the morale boost they need. This might be our only chance.”

….

“Okay, but just this once.”

“Thank you, Alfonso.”

“You know, I wonder how long will I spend fixing all the thing my father broke…”

Leandro managed a weak smile.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Larissa, 18 May 1434

“Sire, the ‘orses are saddled and the men are ready to march!”

Alfonso approached the soldier. He was fiddling with his saddle.

“Excellent. Let’s make this over with quickly. *rustle* I swear, this things are so uncomfortable.”

“Good luck!... Wait, King! Yer saddle is made all wrong!”

“What? I don’t see what woul….”
*BONK!*

……………………….

“Oh, mey…. Do you think he’s dead?”

“Well, shave my back and call my Gladys, I never thought I would see two kings kick da bucket, and on mei own eyes no less! Maybe I’m cursed or somesuch.”

“*spit* Don’t blaspheme like that. And shut up, he’s moving!”

….

“Owww… my head… what happened?”

“Ye falled off yer ‘orse, me King. I have always thought that it’s impossible to buckle a saddle sideways, but ey, you learn something new e’ryday!”

“Ey, you can consider yerself lucky, yer Majesty. You could me unable to move at all, eh eh eh!”

“*smack!* Oi, Stepanos!”

“What do ye want of me?”

“Ya can’t joke of these things! It’s inappropriate!”

“Okay, you two, stop that. I’m fine. Let’s just go.”

“But sire, yer ‘orse…?”

“Ah, I’ll just walk.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thankfully nobody heard about this shameful event, as it could’ve been disastrous for the morale. The first major battle of the king was a major success- he routed a rebel army with minimal casualties.

Sadly, the rebellion was far from over. New rebel armies spawned like seasonal fans after a Champions League victory. The times were grim, and many people suspected that the end of all things would come soon.

Meanwhile somewhere else, a tyke bomb waiting to blow up has been disarmed. After years of conflict between Catholics and Hussites in Bohemia, the new King Eduard Askanier brought order back to the country. While the Hussite heresy managed to survive in some minor German countries, the Roman Catholic faith was united once again, and surely would remain so for years to come. Right?

-------------------------------------
Naples, 14 October 1434

“Uncle Aziraphale, are apples people?”

With Alfonso gone to overseer military operations and Adriano and Leandro equally busy with internal affairs, Aziraphale was the only person left to look after the young prince.

“Huh? No, Alberto, apples aren’t people. They’re apples.”

“I see. Then are pears people? Or plums?”

“No, child. Why do you ask such a silly question?”

“Luigi, stablemaster’s son, said uncle Aziraphale is a fruit! Is that true, uncle Aziraphale? What kind of fruit are you?”

“Oh, for… listen, my Prince. Fruits can’t be people and people can’t be fruits. That’s how the world works. Anyway, weren’t you supposed to be with your mother now?”

“Na-ah. She said I should come to you!”

……

“It’s the bath day today, isn’t it?”

“Waaaaah! I don’t wanna washy myself!”

“Come on, the prince can’t be dirty!”

….

“Thank you for taking care of him, Aziraphale.”

“No problem, my queen. I’ve handled young royals before.”

“Isn’t that too much of a bother though? Can’t Crowley help you?”

“Ah, he’s probably in the cellar testing out new wines that we got.”

“Besides, I wouldn’t trust him with the kid anyways.”

“*sigh*… Aziraphale… I worry about Alfonso. All the reports coming about rebel attacks… what if that’s too much?”

“Oh, don’t worry, my Queen. He can handle himself! I’m sure he’ll come back safe.”

“I hope you’re right. Thank you anyway.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

While Alfonso was fighting rebels in Greece, news have come of another nation to successfully extort land from the Turks. The Ottomans were crumbling.

Hopefully, they wouldn’t bring Naples down with them.

After a decade of being relatively benign, Aragon decided to stir up the international politics again by warning England not to go to war.

Ottomans, it seems, borrowed some hints on running the country from the magnificent Louis. In compensation for their recent territorial losses they have annexed Serbia.

Someone ordered two rebel factories?

The long struggle between Morocco and Castille is finally over. In peace terms, Castille demanded some territorial concessions, as well as ended the life of an abomination known as ‘Moroccan Brittany’.

As indeed nothing lasts forever, the uprising in Neapolitan Greece was finally put down. Province after province fell back into the hands of Naples. It seems that Alfonso could come back victorious from his first major campaign.

------------------------------------
Naples, 3 April 1435

Unsurprisingly, the King ditched the victory parade to meet with his family. That didn’t mean that he didn’t get a welcome committee though.

“Welcome back Alfonso!”

Adriano, Leandro, Crowley and Aziraphale were already waiting at the front door of the palace.

“It’s good to be back with my friends again! Was everything fine here when I was gone?”

“It was pretty calm here. Then again, everything seems peaceful now to me when Louis isn’t around.”

“Thanks, Adriano! I bet you have a lot to tell me!”

“Indeed, sir. For instance: you dear uncle, the King of France have died.”

“I’m almost hurt about it. So, have anybody seen Ir…”

He wasn’t able to finish his sentence, as he suddenly felt someone jumping on him. Very quickly, he found himself in a very tight hug.

“Alfonso! Oh… you have no idea how much I worried about you.”

“I noticed…. Listen, darling… you’re squeezing my head against your chest. I’m not complaining, mind you, but it’s getting hard to breathe…”

She loosened her grip on him. Alfonso noticed tears running down her cheeks. He wiped them away with his hand.

“Hey, it all right. I’m here now. I’m sorry that I got you worried, but I had no other choice.”

“I know. I’m just not used to you being away for so long.”

“You know, if I get that kind of greetings I might consider leadership more often…”

She looked at him with reproach.

“Okay, just kidding…”

“*AHEM* Your majesty, we can talk later if you with to spend some time with your family.”

“Oh, um… thank, you, Leandro, you are dismissed for now.”

------------------------------------------------------------------

“My liege, do you have a minute to talk?”

“Of course, Adriano. I’ll be right away.”

Alfonso met his advisors in the royal chamber. Unusually, there were now four of them.

“Adriano, Leandro, let me introduce to you don Alfredo degli Albizzi.”

Alfredo bowed slightly.

“Aye, it is an honour to serve you, mein lord.”

Alfredo spent his youth studying on the best German universities, and due to the time spent there he picked a bit of an accent. It didn’t stop him from being one of the best bankers in Europe
“It a pleasure to have you here. Alfredo will be in charge of the local mint. He’ll make sure that inflation won’t get out of control.”

“That’s good. Our recent war and rebel fighting had put a strain on the treasury.”

“Zon’t worry, don Leandro! I’ll take care of things in no time!”

Alfonso leaned back in his chair.

“My lord..” Adriano begun. “There are two matters that I think require your attention. First, the Ottomans finally collapsed.”

“It’s about time too!”

“Yes, the majority of their Greek territory went under the Byzantine rule.

“Just like a phoenix from the ashes! Send them my congratulations.”

“I will. Other news: Urbino declared independence from the Papal States.”

“So the Pope is weakened. Interesting.”

“That’s not all, sir. Aragon have declared war on Castille. Officially it’s a trade war but we all know it’s the sequel to the last one.”

“So the Castillians will get whopped again?”

“Not exactly, sir. Castille have picked itself up rather quickly after their last defeat and this time there will be no France to help the Aragonese. This war might go either way.”

“We will see to it and be prepared. Speaking of, Leandro, are our recent developments finished?”

“They are, sir. A new Armory in Naples is being built as we speak.”

“Great. It might bolster our recruitment pools when the need arises. Is that everything?”

“I believe so, my liege.”

“Good. Let’s go and get some rest then.”

--------------------------------------------------
Naples, 3 May 1436

Adriano del Rosso was up late as he usually was. His work has taken up most of his time; he never had time to start a family or pursue a hobby. He found most of his satisfaction in serving the King. Even now, after over 30 years of work for Louis and later Alfonso he didn’t seem to stop.
He was not a youngster anymore. Passed years had taken a toll on his body and mind. He had outlived most of his peers. Despite that, he never even thought of retiring.

There was always work to be done. Like now for instance: he had to finish a diplomatic report about the recent war between Bavaria and Ansbach. It wasn’t anything major but Alfonso liked to be up to date.

‘It’s not like something’s forcing me to finish it today.’ He thought to himself. ‘Nothing bad will happen if I continue tomorrow. It’s late already and I’m tired.’ He like the idea. ‘Bah! I’m the Chief Diplomat of Naples! If nothing else, I deserve a little bit of rest!’

He blew the candle and lied in his bed. It wasn’t too comfortable. ‘I should finish it…. No, I’ll rest… just a bit…’ Then, he was overtaken by sleep.

Adriano didn’t expect that his rest would turn out a bit longer and permanent than he anticipated…

Adriano del Rosso, Chief Diplomat of Naples, advisor of Louis II and Alfonso de Valois, went on his eternal retirement on 3 May 1436. His passing was dearly mourned throughout the country.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, this part was supposed to go out on Sunday… sorry about that.

:`( Adriano's death is definitely a lot more heartrending than Louis's.

Though I haven't yet read your latest update, I'm just stopping by to let you know that I've nominated you as our next Character WritAAR of the Week. Congratulations, and keep up with the brilliant work! You can go and greet your well-wishes here.

:`( Adriano's death is definitely a lot more heartrending than Louis's.

Indeed, I was quite sad when he died (I certainly missed him more than I did Louis). Like they say though, nothing lasts forever.

Though I haven't yet read your latest update, I'm just stopping by to let you know that I've nominated you as our next Character WritAAR of the Week. Congratulations, and keep up with the brilliant work! You can go and greet your well-wishes here.

Wow! Thanks! That's such a great honor! I never expected to recieve any award for this AAR. Well, I'll try not to dissapoint anybody :D

Wait, did I forget about something? Ah, yes, the update.... uhm.... yeah... so.... I've been busy with, ehm... stuff... don't worry though, it's in the works.

Episode 14- An Offer You can’t Refuse
In this episode: Naples goes south (literally).

Naples, 17 May 1436

*Knock Knock.*

No response. After Adriano’s death, Alfonso has been in a very foul mood. He barely left his room, preferring to spend his time with his wife and kids (Anastasia was the most recent addition to the de Valois family, being born only two months ago.) and burying himself in paperwork.

“It’s me, Leandro, my liege. May I ask you for a minute?”

“Sorry, Leandro. I am busy. Can you come in the evening?”

“I’m afraid it’s an important matter, my King. Several nobles ask for an audience. They seem to be displeased.”

“*groan* Give me a minute.”

*click!*

“Can’t they find a better time to bother me?”

“Your Majesty, it is important to maintain good relations with the nobles.”

“*sigh* I know. I just don’t feel like seeing them right now.”

“You never like seeing them, my King.”

“I suppose that’s true. Now, let’s see what they want this time.”

Alfonso and Leandro entered the meeting room, where several nobles were waiting for them. Alfonso wasn’t too accustomed to the noble families of Naples yet but he nonetheless recognized a few of them. One of the present was Giovanni del Tintalal, an old (probably Louis’ peer, if not older), half- senile coot, he was still among the brightest members of the crowd. Neapolitan nobility wasn’t exactly known for their wits (What they were known for, however, was often having only one grandfather). It was him that greeted the guests.

“Ah, welcome, my dear King Alfonso de Valois. I wish to congratulate you for your recent success in Greece.”

“Thank you, dear Giovanni, although I’m not the one to receive honour. My men did most of the work. In turn I want to congratulate you for not tearing this country apart while I was gone.”

Giovanni smiled wryly at the backhanded compliment.

“Of course, your country was in good hands all along, my liege. We were deeply saddened by the departure of your royal chancellor, don Adriano. Please accept our condolences.”

Alfonso winced slightly at the mention of Adriano but remained calm.

“Thank you. It was a very hard time for us.”

“Actually, my King, I know it’s early, but have you thought of a replacement for your chancellor?”

“I appreciate the concern but I have this already covered.”

It was a hard decision to find someone to replace Adriano, but it had to be done eventually. Fortunately Leandro agreed to take over the function, adding more to his already large list of responsibilities.

“I see… There’s one more thing we need to discuss, your majesty.”

“What is it, don Giovanni?”

“My King, we, the nobles of Naples, are concerned by your efforts to centralize the government and wrestle the power away from the local landowners. We think that they threaten our interests. Thus, we have come to the conclusion that it’s time we demand back what’s rightfully ours.”

“I see… And if I won’t comply?”

“What? Uhm, of course we would be very upset! Despite zour efforts we are still quite influential, both within Naples and outside!”

“Well, I think I’ll take my chances! If there’s anything else you want to discuss with me, I think I’ll return to my quarters.”

“Wait! You can’t just shove us aside like that!”

“Looks like I’m doing just that! *yawn* Let’s go, Leandro.”

….

“Are you sure that’s wise to anger the nobles like that, your majesty?”

“I don’t know, but it certainly was amusing.”

“Sir, I must express my worries about your well- being. You’re not yourself since Adriano died.”

“*sigh* Sorry, Leandro… I really need to…”

“Don’t apologize, my King. Maybe you’re a little burned out. You need a rest.”

“I’ll rest when I’m dead.”

“That’s not a healthy attitude, my Alfonso. Naples would much rather have a sane monarch.”

“You think I might go nuts from all the stress? Maybe it runs in the family, eh?”

Leandro glared at him.

“Okay, I’ll think about it.”

“Glad to hear we’ve come to an agreement, my liege.”

---------------------------------

The nobles of Naples weren’t happy with Alfonso’s decision, though they weren’t in position to do anything else than cause mild inconveniences to the administration.

Meanwhile, the people of Hainaut decided to remove the shackles of the foreign Aragonese aggression. With such a crucial territory lost, Aragon was certainly doomed to fail.

Desperate to pick themselves up after their decadent collapse, the Ottomans decided to go to another war. Will this one be more successful?

Spoiler alert: it won’t.

------------------------------

“My liege, I’m happy to inform you that the king of Urbino has accepted our Royal Marriage proposal!”

“Huh… oh, yeah, that’s great.”

“How are you feeling today, your majesty?”

“A little better, thanks, but still not great.”

“I have some news that will surely interest you, my King.”

“Is that so?”

“Indeed. It seems that England has declared war on Scotland.”

“That doesn’t seem to concern us much, does it? It seems like a confined conflict.”

“It would be, except that France is allied with Scotland. England is at war with pretty much half of Europe.”

“Good thing we’re safe here then!”

“Well, my liege, this might change. Hungary recently annexed Mantua.”

“Huh? And they got away with this?”

“They were on the defending side of the war Mantua had foolishly gotten itself into. As usual, the Emperor did not react.”

“This might mean trouble. If the Hungarians keep expanding in Italy… me must get ready.”

“Indeed, sir. Our new armory in Naples is now complete.”

“Excellent. Order construction of another one in the future.”

“Sir, if I could make a suggestion… we might need more than armories and tax collectors to defeat the Austrians and Hungarians. We need manpower and land.”
“But from where? We have no pretenses to any land in Italy and the recent attempt at holy warring didn’t go so well..”

“We have one solid claim in our hands, Alfonso…”

“You mean Sicily? It’s pretty much in Aragonese hands, and they are beyond us at that point.”

“That might change soon, your majesty…”

“We’ll think about it when the time is right, Leandro.”

“As you wish. I’ll let you rest for now.”

----------------------------------------

Naples, 29 May 1437

“It seems that the Ottomans had bit more than they could chew, your majesty.”

“It appears so. It creates an interesting balance of power in the Middle East.”

“You mean ‘complete mess’… I guess I’m used to it by now…”

“At least there are no Austrians there yet.”

“That’s a relief… speaking of, how are you today, your majesty?”

“Not bad, thanks… why, something’s wrong?”

“No, I’m just wondering how’d you react to… wait, you don’t know, do you? I won’t spoil the surprise then!”

“Huh? Surprise? What are you going on about? And why so secretive about it?”

“You’ll learn soon enough! But you’re better off asking your wife about that…”

Alfonso shrugged and went up the stairs, back to his bedchamber.

“Honey, Leandro said something about a… wait, what are all these bags doing here?”

“Oh, didn’t you hear, Alfonso? We’re going on a vacation!”

“That’s wonder… wait, what?! Since when?”

“Oh, we discussed it with Leandro recently. You need to spend some time away from all this hustle. It just happens that I’ve received an invitation from my mother! She’ll be happy to keep us for a while.”

“Wait just a minute… you discussed it all without consulting it with me first?”

“But I am consulting this with you right now! And you know, Alberto is very eager to see his grandma, I bet he’d be very upset if you won’t go. Not to mention that I’d be upset too…”

Irina made an expression that pretty much said that he should agree with her right away, unless he likes the couch in the living room so much that he doesn’t mind sleeping on it for an indefinite amount of time.

“*sigh* I guess I have little choice on the matter… But who will rule the country when I’m away?”

“Oh, don’t worry about it. Aziraphale will be here to take care of things!”

“You know, I don’t feel any better about this…”

“There’s also Crowley!”

“That’s even worse…”

-------------------

“Well, goodbye, your majesty. Have fun on your little trip!”

“Thanks, Leandro. I still wonder if that’s a good idea…”

“Don’t worry, Alfonso. The country is in good hands. Lady Eleanor will handle all official things. There’s also me and don Alfredo.”

“Maybe I’m overreacting a little. But could you keep an eye on everyone for me? Especially Crowley.”

“I will. Nothing will happen that you’d disallow.”

“Thanks.”

-------------------------------------

Crowley yawned loudly and stretched out on his throne. He never thought I’d be so simple- ever since Alfonso left, Naples was his playground. He easily manipulated the people to do his every bidding. Soon, the whole Europe will fill the wrath of Crowley and his Demonic Empire.

Or so he thought.

“I am your master, obey me! Hey, you, peon! Bring me some wine!”

Aziraphale looked at him with disdain.

“The King’s away for barely a week and you’re already looking to cause mischief?”

“Oh, come on, can’t I have some fun?”

“*sigh* As long as you don’t break anything…”

“Speaking of breaking, take a look at this…”

“Oh… the Aragonese are in deep trouble right now. Looks like Castille will regain what they lost in the last war, maybe even more.”

“And it will leave Aragon severely weakened and very vulnerable.”

“I suppose this will tip the balance of power in Iberia in Castillan favor. They’re not the only ones to challenge the status quo. Have you heard about Muscowy?”

“Yeah, they’re attacking Yaroslavl.”

“By this, they have brought the wrath of Novgorod upon themselves. Well, it’s far away from us at least! Anyway, Crowley, what are you up to right now?”

“I don’t know… I haven’t brought a hapless soul down to a path to eternal damnation for a while now…”

“I was actually asking about helping Leandro out. He has a lot on his mind right now. Don’t you think you can help out in a way?”

Crowley smiled widely.

“Since you’re asking, Aziraphale, I have just the right thing in mind!”

“Fantastic! I won’t stop you, I have to sort out the diplomatic papers myself.”

He proceeded towards the exit. Then, he stopped in horror. Seeing Crowley enthusiastic about something was never good. There was nothing he could do to stop him though. He could only hope it won’t be too bad.

---------------------------------------

Naples, 24 February 1438

To: Alfonso I de Valois, King of Naples

Dearest King,

You wanted to inform you of everything important going on, so therefore I write. I’m replacing Leandro this time, as he’s busy solving a dispute some peasants have over an apples tree, as the judge got injured in a recent football game.

I’ll start off with the thing everyone is talking about- the war in Iberia. It seems that Aragon had transformed into a local punching bag, as more and more countries are able to make concessions out of it. Most recently, Ferrara forced them to give independence to Sardinia.

As if that wasn’t enough, Sicily is currently under occupation by the Pisan forces. The people there are becoming increasingly unhappy with the Aragonese rule.

Over here, things are peaceful. Leandro makes sure that all of your development plans are being realized. We try to help him out by relieving him from some of the most tedious jobs, thought it’s hard to persuade him to do so. Crowley actually did something useful by acquiring some foreign drill manuals. He didn’t say where he got them from though.

And that’s pretty much it. There was that one situation in the tavern involving a patrician and exploding manure but that’s hardly a matter a kings should bother himself with.

Please take care of yourself and have a pleasant stay and a safe journey back home.

With best regards

A. Ziraphale

Aziraphale folded the letter and put it in the envelope. He was about to place it on Leandro’s desk when he heard the sound of a discussion downstairs. He went down to investigate.

“Excuse me, sir. Could you tell me what is this din all about?”

“Haven’t you heard? Aragon made peace with Castille.”

“Huh?” Aziraphale plowed thought the crowd to find Crowley. He was standing next to Leandro. They were surrounded by a number of people.

“Oh, Aziraphale! It’s a good thing you’re here! We were just discussing our preparations.”

“Preparations?! For what?”

“Isn’t it obvious? The Aragonese were crushed in this war. They barely can’t even defend themselves right now.”

“This is our chance to strike! We will claim back what is rightfully ours!” Said one of the nobles. Aziraphale couldn’t really say who he is.

“You mean Sicily? I thought this concept died along with Louis.”

“There are many people who want Sicily back.” Leandro said, scratching his chin. “Mostly nobles with claims on the land who are interested in gain. Thought there is one particular other group… I think you could call them ‘freedom fighters?’

“They want Italy free of foreign transgression. Deposing the Aragonese from the Sicilian throne would be a significant step towards that goal.”

“Ah, a bunch of wide- eyed imbeciles! Our true goal should be to strengthen Naples. Sicily is an important centre of culture and trade. We must seize it for ourselves!”

“Eeh, Is this really a good idea? Wee haven’t fully recovered yet from ze last war.” Alfredo was clearly skeptical to the idea.

“Maybe, but I think that’s the best opportunity we’ll ever have. I’ll have a word with the King and see if I can get him to approve of our plan. Meanwhile, let us return to our duties.”

----------------------------------------------

The following months were relatively peaceful; a calm before the storm you could have (or substitute that with other cliché phrase). The month of May saw some diplomatic tensions with Urbino. One of their diplomats insulted some high up Neapolitan noble, though due to the preparations for the invasion of Sicily nothing came out of it.

Words came from Russia: Muscowy succeeded in annexing Yaroslavl, though they still had to deal with Novgorod.

More troubling news came from northern Italy: another country fell to the Hungarians. This time it was Ferrara.

In Naples, the preparations for war were progressing fast. A new armory has been opened in Calabria, just in time for the ultimate showdown.

Everything was ready…

-----------------------------------

Naples, 10 October 1439

Alfonso was glad to return home after a year and a half. To be honest, he enjoyed his vacation a bit, as it helped him relieve some of the stress. As a result, he came back a lot more peaceful and relaxed.

“Ah, Leandro, Crowley! It’s good to see you again!”

“Welcome back, my King! I bet you want to tell us everything that happened on your trip!”

“Thanks, but I’d rather hear you explain what’s happening here:” He pointed at the town square, decorated with the colors of Naples. People were walking down the streets carrying flags. “Is this a welcome parade? You know it wasn’t necessary.”

“Well, my liege…. Not exactly…”

“Viva la Naples! Victory and glory!”

“Hmm… Leandro, is there something I should know about?”

Leandro had a troubled expression, something very rare indeed.

“Well, sir, we sort of…”

“Ah, we just went to war with Sicily.” Crowley said bluntly.

“WHAT?”

“You know, the nobles really insisted… and it was a really good opportunity….”

“But, why didn’t you tell me about it?! I should know about such things, don’t you think?”

“Yes, but it would take too long for you to come back. We couldn’t waste any time.”

“Just great. Better take me to the War Room, or how it’s called. I need to take a look at the maps.”

“it won’t be necessary, my liege.”

“Why?”

“Well, you see all these people, my lord? That’s sort of a victory parade.”

“WHAT?”

“Okay, let’s go to the palace, I’ll explain everything there.”

Surprisingly, there wasn’t much to explain, as the war was sort of an anticlimax. What sealed the deal was Aragon dishonoring the alliance with Sicily, sealing its fate.

The newly chosen Sicilian king could do little but watch his cities besieged by the Neapolitan army.
The cities fell one by one. Victory was assured just about a year after the declaration.

“And that’s pretty much how it went, your majesty.”

Alfonso was sitting in the council chamber along with his team. There was a long period of silence after Leandro stopped talking.

“So.. you started an opportunistic war while I was away, without my knowledge or consent… what am I going to do with you now?”

Everybody stayed silent for what appeared like forever. Suddenly, Alfonso smiled.

“Good job everybody. You did exactly what I expected you to do. Though I wouldn’t be so pleased had the war failed…”

“Well, we do our best to serve the country, your majesty.”

“And you do a great job. Though, please, next time at least warn me.”

“As you wish, Alfonso.”

Everybody went to their rooms with noticeably better moods.

“So… how does it feels when everything’s already done for you?” Irina asked Alfonso when he went back to their chamber.

“You don’t know, maybe it was all part of my plan?”

“I’m sure. So, my chessmaster, how are you going to deal with the Austrians and Hungarians when they come knocking at our door?”

“I’ll think about it when the time comes. Right now, I’m happy with the little victories.”

Alfonso knew that the next triumphs won’t come as easy. He had absolutely no intentions on giving up now.

-------------------------------------------------------
So, first of all, I apologize for the huge delay. I had to deal with some school business (offices open till 12 P. M. are so much fun!), as a result I was quite tired for most of the week.

Woo! More nationality based wars must come to pass. Don't stop until all of Italy is under your boot (even though you... uh... technically are the boot.)

BOO-YAH!

Neapolis Invictus!

Woo! More nationality based wars must come to pass. Don't stop until all of Italy is under your boot (even though you... uh... technically are the boot.)

Well, thanks! This war was indeed very fortunate for me, as now I have an actual income (it also almost doubled my forcelimits to boot- pun not intended).

Update coming right up!

Episode 15- Three Travelers from The North
From Sweden, to be exact

Naples, 6 March 1440

Accepting petitioners wasn’t a thing that Alfonso particularly enjoyed. It mostly consisted of hearing out old senile nobles complaining about today’s fall of decency, asking for yet another loan or trying to bail one of their misbehaving children out of prison. This time though it was different, as Alfonso certainly did not anticipate a visit from three characters dressed in black robes. He was very curious what they have to say- everything was better than hearing about today’s kids and their lack of manners again.

“Greetings, noble Alfonso de Valois. We congratulate you on your recent victory over Sicily. It made your country very notable in the world.” The tallest one begun talking.

“Thank you, kind sir, though I must say it’s not entirely my doing. Besides, I don’t think we’ve met before. Can I ask you your name?”

The tallest one spoke again. “Our names are not important. Most people here don’t even notice our presence. But if you desire to know, very well: we are the Paradoxian Brothers. I am Cometius, this “ he pointed at the middle- sized one to his left- “ is Blobius, and here “ he pointed at the shortest “is Bugius * the short one growled*, though he prefers if you call him ‘Featurius’.”

“Interesting individuals you are. Where are you from?”

“We’re not from anywhere you’d know. Let’s say we serve a higher authority.”

“So you’re like angels? Did you come here to give me a message from God, like have happened to Abraham?” Alfonso was visibly amused by the direction of this conversation.

“I wouldn’t say that we serve God, though many people would call him that, although we indeed have a task for you.”

“A task you say?” Alfonso was trying very hard not to laugh right now. “Do I have a specific reason why should I accept any missions from you?”

“Do you have anything better to do?”

“Hmm… I suppose I might take a look at it.”

“Really?... Thank goodness, sometimes it’s really hard to convince them. Like your father, for instance…

[FLASHBACK]

Naples, 10 October 1399

Louis went to his bedchamber to discover something odd: a large drape was hanging on the wall, right above his desk. Upon further inspection, the drape turned out to be the map of Italy. He noticed that the island of Sicily was circled and the words TAKE IT were scribbled all over it.

Louis stared a long time on the map; then he draw a conclusion:

“Giovanni, do you know something about a makeover in my room? There are some things I don’t recognize.”

“They might be left over from before you moved in, my lord.”

“Okay. Order it removed later then.”

“Aaaaaarghhhh!”

[/FLASHBACK]

“Oh, the pain… anyway, dear King, here is the letter with all the details. I wish you luck with your mission.”

The stranger gave Alfonso an envelope, then he and his companions promptly left.

Alfonso and Leandro, who was listening to the whole conversation, shared a moment in silence. Both were unsure if they should take what just happened
seriously or just laugh it up.

“Well, that certainly was something…. Interesting.”

“It sure was, your majesty.”

“You think I should open it up?”

“There’s no harm in that, I think.”

Alfonso opened up the envelope. Inside, there was a letter with a mission:

Alfonso showed it to Leandro.

“What do you think of it?”

“Hmm… that certainly looks interesting.”

“What do you say, should we even bother with that?”

“We might at least consider it.”

--------------------------------

The Life And Times of Naples- an Overview of the Status of the Kingdom of Naples under the Royal House de Valois Throughout the Times and the State of The Known World, as written by the Royal Scribe Antoine Ziraphale.

Part the Secunde- The Reign of the Enlightened Alfonso de Valois in the Fourthe decadhe of the fourteenthe century.​

1440 was to be another hard year for Italy. The beginning of the year was marked by the baseless declaration of war by Aquileia against Sardinia.

Some countries in Italy, including Pisa, decided to defend the island country against foreign aggression. Pisans asked their allies in Naples to help them in the war, though Alfonso was sad to decline. He thought that the odds weren’t in their favour.

Thanks to that decision, though, Naples enjoyed another period of peace. The architectural development of the city helped to increase the country’s income, though it also introduced some cultural tensions, as more and more serfs were moving in to seek a better life.

Personally, I have nothing against them moving in, though some people have different opinions. Crowley in particular said that it would be easier to chain up these ‘smelly peasants’ to the plows. He might’ve been sarcastic though (is this important enough to write about? I need to ask Leandro about it).
Up north, England was engulfed in the flames of war. Hard pressed by the French, the English decided to cede Northumberland to Scotland, along with a hefty sum of gold.

On the same day, 10 of June, Naples gained its first real ally- the Kingdom of Bohemia. There was much rejoicing.

Naples might just need a strong ally, as the Kingdom of Hungary expanded its holdings in Italy, this time at the expense of Modena.

………………

Aziraphale had a surprisingly easy time writing this part, though he was interrupted by a knocking on the door.

“It’s open.”

Crowley barged into Aziraphale’s room.

“Hey, Angel, wanna play some checkers?”

“Maybe later, I’m busy now.”

“Really? What are you doing?”

“Nothing rea….” Aziraphale started, but Crowley already took a look at his desk.

“A book, huh? You didn’t tell me you were writing.”

“Ah, I didn’t think it was that important.”

“That’s cool. I never wrote myself, I think it’s a waste of time.”

“It’s not! It helps you develop your vocabulary!*”

“Well, okay. Anyway, it needs some work but I’m sure you’ll find the time to improve yourself.”

“Jerk.”

“Aren’t you glad you have me around?”

“*sigh* Sometimes I just don’t know… okay, let’s play. I’ll defeat you this time!”

“*laughs* We’ll see about that.”

* It also allows me to dump several screenshots with minimal effort. Ehm.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The year 1441 saw the continuation of the Ottoman’s misfortune. After a disastrous war with the Jalayirids, they were forced to grant independence to Serbia.

Pisa ultimately proved to be unable to protect Sardinia- the island was annexed by Aquileia in May. Pisa itself opted for small concessions in exchange for a peace.

Everything will be fine as long as the invaders remember to avoid local cheese.

After the war was over, Naples decided to renew the alliance with Pisa. The Pisans were lucky to have such a loyal friend.

Meanwhile, the war between England and France was going strong. While the English were hopelessly decimated on the English and French soils, they managed to score some minor victories elsewhere. They have acquired the North African province of Tlemcen from Savoy; later they’ll succeed in vassalizing Brittany.

In Naples, King Alfonso was about to introduce new laws that were meant to increase the integrity of the administration- a move that’ll surely be taken well by the populace…

------------------------

Naples, 20 May 1442

“Mein King. It zeems that ze peasants resent your recent changes to the tax collecting methods! Zey have taken up arms!”

“How unfortunate! Now, Alfredo, I say we’ll show them the real benefits of efficient administration!”

“You mean, less work for the scribes? But how would zat?”

“I was referring to better armies. Now, Leandro, what do you think about that?”

“Nice plan, your majesty, though there is one small problem. The rebels decided to hide in Greece.”

“Argh!”

“Yes, they probably know how much you like this place.”

“*sigh* We shall dispatch the troops right away.”

“As you wish.”

---------------------------------

Naples, 23 May 1442

Alfonso was sitting in his office when he heard a loud conversation downstairs. He went down to investigate. After a while the source of the noise has become apparent- the Meeting Hall was filled with minor nobles, title holders and clergy. Alfonso knew that today was some kind of city council meeting (the council was using the meeting hall in the palace because the town hall was being rebuilt after some genius, with a helpful aide of alcohol, decided that an indoor fireplace is an excellent idea.). Well, ‘meeting’ wasn’t quite the way to put it, as the people were shouting and screaming at each other.

“Who do you call a dumbhead? You heard that?! Ha called me a dumbhead!”

“Hey! Get your smelly foot off my new shoes, peasant!”

“What did you just call me?! I have more nobility in my pinky finger than in your whole family combined!”

“Preposterous! I’ll teach you manners, you knave!”

“Gentlemen, let’s not lower ourselves to violence. We’re all civilized people here!”

*glare*

“Mind your own business, asshead!”

Alfonso managed to find Leandro in the crowd.

“Leandro, what’s happening here?”

“Oh, just a city council meeting, your majesty.”

“A meeting? Looks more like a bar brawl to me.”

“I believe you don’t come to council meetings very often, my king. *sigh* consider yourself lucky. It appears that the noble councilors have met some kind of impasse.”

“To put it mildly.”

Just as he was speaking, a boot flew over his head.

“Sorry, kind sir, I was aiming at that doofus over there!”

“A doofus?! I’ll show you…”

“Look, Leandro, things are about to get ugly here. I’m beating it. If you don’t feel like sticking through it, you’re free to go too.”

“Thank you, your Majesty.”

------------------------------------

Alfonso quickly decided that he have had enough of local politics for a long time. Meanwhile up North, Poland was waging a successful war against the Teutonic Order. They have forced them to cede Gdańsk and Warmia, giving Poland their Baltic port at last. The peasants decided to celebrate by killing noblemen.

Seeing that England is losing control of the war, Burgundy decided to capitalize on their weakness.

The plight of Ottomans continues- this time, they decided to declare war on Karaman.

Maybe Louis didn’t die and moved to Turkey instead?

Naples, high on their victory, decided that it was high time to take its place in history as the premier power on the Italian peninsula. They were about to make another step in that direction…

Naples, 3 December 1443

“So, Leandro, is it done?”

“Yes, sir. It’s done.”

“At last! From this day on, Naples will be known as the mightiest nation in history!”

“… Sir, we’ve only added Urbino to our Sphere of Influences.”

“But it’s our first step towards total domination!.... Okay, I’ll stop. I’ll admit, Louis was way better at pumping up insignificant things.”

“Indeed he was. We will miss him dearly. Meanwhile, I have more news for you. Aquileia has declared war on Venice.”

“Really? They want to capitalize on their never ending war with Austria?”

‘It appears so, my lord. Also, the war between France and England has ended.”

“Is that so? Have the French managed to retake their mainland holdings? Or maybe even gat a foothold on the British isles?”

“Not exactly, my liege.”

“What? How did this happen?”

“We may never know. Anyway, you might want to inspect the troops, your majesty.”

“Are the new drill methods already employed?”

“Indeed. But you can see for yourself, my lord.”

“*yawn* Maybe. For now, I’ll take a quick nap. Wake me up when something exciting happens.”

--------------------------------------------
Sorry about the small delay, I was just too tired yesterday to finish it.
Hope you enjoyed a shorter update this time. Hopefully next time something more interesting happens!

Episode 16- A Man and His Hamster
The Most Serene Republic turns out to be not so Serene after all.

Naples, 25 May 1444

Afternoon sun was shining through the windows of the palace. There wasn’t anything that required immediate attention at the moment so Alfonso and Leandro were entertaining themselves with a card game.

“By the way, Leandro, what do you think about the recent events in Russia?”

“The Teutons have acquired some land from Novgorod. Germans on Russian soil? I’ve Neva thought that would happen.*”

“Maybe the Holy Knights aren’t so last century as everyone thinks.”

“Yeah. Maybe we could invite some of them over here? Too bad we don’t have any throwaway piece of land to offer.”

As they were speaking, the doors to the room were busted open.

“Assault! Assault! I demand audience with the King immediately!”

“Excuse me, good sir, but can you at least explain who you are?”

The guest, apparently recognizing who’s in front of him, regained some composure.

“My liege, I apologize for a sudden entrance, but I represent don Alissandro del Bihina, lord of Gettini. He wants to report about the atrocities the Venetians are committing on his lands.”

“Wait, what exactly are those atrocities?”

“Oh, those scoundrels are attacking our very livelihoods! They are selling us subpar goods at an exorbitant price! Worse of all, they are actively supporting smugglers! And even worse, I’ve seen with my own eyes that one of his cronies was watering down ale in a local tavern!”

Alfonso and Leandro looked at each other. The King was visibly relieved- the news that the Venetians were targeting his lands was concerning indeed, but thankfully it turned out to be a minor offense. As it usually turns out with the nobles.

“Is that all, good sir?”

“What do you mean ‘all’, your highness?! This bastards have established a shop on a nearby island and are stealing all of our customers! You have to do something about it!”

“Very well, I will discuss this matter with my advisors. Meanwhile, you need to tell your liege that he needs to wait a while for an answer.”

“I shall tell him just that. I hope that we’ll receive a reply soon. This attack on our basic rights cannot go unpunished!”

He left.

Alfonso and Leandro shared a look in silence.

“Wait, who’s this Alissandro guy?”

“I’m not surprised you’ve never heard about him. He’s a good-for-nothing minor nobleman who won significant amount of land after your father’s conquests in Greece. He’s not particularly bright or popular, but he’s one of the most important people in Hellas right now. It wouldn’t be wise to antagonize him.”

“But what could we possibly do to please him?** We won’t go to war over some watered down ale!”

Leandro smiled a sly smile.

“Actually, causing mischief on the border is as good of a reason for war as any. I heard that there was a smuggler hideout on a Venetian island of Corfu, just next to our Greek holdings. They probably operate from here.”

“Are you seriously considering this?”

“I just say it’s a possibility. The Venetians ceased to be a significant power a while ago, but their navy is still possible. Furthermore, they are distracted by their war with Austria.”

“What? That war still goes on?”

“Indeed, sir. But then, it would take a truly great man to prepare our troops for such an engagement.”

Leandro might have been sarcastic, but just as he finished speaking he was alerted by the door busting open yet again.

“Goddamnit! I just finished fixing them!”

“Looks like someone will take care of your little Venetian problem, my dear King!”

Leandro almost couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw the new guest. He was so large he barely fit in the doorway. That wasn’t the weird part though- what set him apart was his clothes. He was wearing a very bright red jacket and blue breeches, as well as a huge hat with a blue feather stuck into it. His outfit, more befitting of a jester or a street performer, certainly helped to distinguish him from the grey crowd.

“Looks like the day gets more and more interesting, your majesty.”

“Oh, pardon my manners, I didn’t introduce myself, did I? Alessandro Chigi at your service!”

“Oh, that’s right. Leandro, this is don Alessandro. We’ve hired him recently.”

“The King needed someone to take care of his troops for him, and it happens that I have just what it takes to shape the boys into army men !”

“…Eh?”

“Well, Leandro, we needed a good commander for our military and Chigi is one of the best.”

“It’s a pleasure to be taking orders from such an illustrious leader as you, King Alfonso! Of course I can’t wait to be acquainted with the rest of your court!”

“…Huh?”

“His name is actually Leandro Mancinetti, not ‘huh’, he’s my chief diplomat.”

“Nice to meet you, mister Leandro! I hope we’ll have a fruitful cooperation <3”

The giant went forward to shake Leandro’s hand. He reluctantly accepted, still quite shocked. His grip was very firm, though thankfully he knew not to put too much power.

“See ya later, my dear King, I have troops to tend to!”

Alessandro bowed to both Alfonso and Leandro and left, bashing open the door. You could hear quiet sobbing coming from the back room.

Alfonso noticed that Leandro is still quite confused about everything that happened.

“Don’t worry. He’s actually quite good at what he does.”

“I hope so, my liege.”

* Well, I gave that one a try at least
** That’s what she said

The strange new commander did a surprisingly good job at training new Neapolitan troops. Of course, Naples also needed a strong navy to compete with Venice. Thus, a shipbuilding program was commenced, culminating it the construction of a new warship called Adriano del Rosso, in honor of Naples’ great diplomat (oh, and also a small cog named Louis II).

On August 1 1444 Naples has declared war on Venice. Plan was simple- transport the troops on Corfu, which was suffering from a revolt at the moment, before the Venetian fleet has a chance to intervene.

---------------------------------------
Naples, 8 October 1444

The Neapolitan campaign has encountered some minor setbacks- while the troops have managed to reach the island of Corfu before they could be intercepted, Neapolitan fleet was simply no match for the Venetians.

“I say it’s but a minor inconvenience! We shall be victorious, you’ll see!”

Alessandro Chigi was waiting in the common room to give Alfonso a report on the performance of the troops. He was accompanied by Aziraphale and Crowley, who were busy playing a rather strange board game. Actually, the King wasn’t going to meet any more people that day, as he was busy with ‘stuff’, which he accentuated with an eyebrow gesture everyone but Crowley were too dense to understand.

“Maybe you’re right. Anyway, why aren’t you with the troops in Greece?”

“The commandant’s place is in his home country, where he can overseer new recruits! Mister Nibbles says so and he’s always right!”

Crowley raised an eyebrow.

“Wait, who the Scotland is ‘Mister Nibbles’?”

“He’s my friend and he’s very smart! He always gives me good advice!”

Alessandro reached for his pocket and took out a little pet hamster.

“That’s nice… wait a minute… are you taking orders from a hamster? What kind of man listens to a rodent?!”

“Mister Nibbles is no ordinary hamster! He has the wisdom of the entire Council of Cardinals! (“That’s not saying much…” Crowley quipped) I have gotten him from on old man I’ve saved from bandits a while ago. He said that he has one of the greatest warriors in the times of his youth. He gave me Mister Nibbles so that I can continue his work.”

“An old man, hmm? What was his name?”

“I don’t remember, but it was similar to a town in Ruthenia.”

“Interesting…” Crowley moved his piece. “Checkmate!”

“Oh, what?! Where?”

“You see, if you move your king here, my queen will take him out, and here he’s threatened by my knight.”

“This game’s moronic! Where have you got it from anyway?”

“Some merchant travelling all the way from India gave it to me in exchange for some pasta.”

“Stupid foreign games. We should stay with checkers.”

---------------------------------------------------

“Mein King, I have bad news! The despicable Venetians have broken their Trade League Compact with us!”

“The one we never really used? That really is terrible.”

“Our nonexistent traders didn’t benefit from it, but the Venetians have opened quite a few cantors in our cities. With the trade compact broken, they will leave.”

“That’s unfortunate. Well, good riddance to them! If there only were other merchant republics we could join…”

“There’s always Genoa and Hansa, your Majesty. In fact, they have already asked us for ze exclusive trade rights for our wine!”

“Looks like the Venetians are the ones losing out here.”

------------------------------------------------
Naples, 21 March 1445

“My Lord, have you heard about the recent events in Anatolia?”

“I did, Leandro. The Byzantines are at war with the Ottomans again.”

“They are on a good way to restore their former glory.”

“It appears so. Should we worry about this?”

“As long as we stay on good terms with them it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.”

“Great. So, I haven’t heard about our war with Venice for a while.”

“That’s because there really wasn’t much to talk about- we sieged Corfu and asked for a peace. “

“And they agreed?”

“Yes, sir. With the Austrians at their door they were desperate to make amends. Corfu is now ours.”

“Excellent. Anything else.”

“Indeed, sir, and I think you’re gonna like this one.”

“Really? What is it then?”

“The Scots are at war with England once again.”

“Wow… I almost feel sorry for them. Well, I’m off, I have to take a look at the new governor candidates… *sigh*”

“I won’t be stopping you anymore, your majesty.”

-----------------------------------------------------

Naples went out of the war one province richer, once again proving to be a rising star in Mediterranean politics. Alfonso however wasn’t completely content with the country’s performance, so he planned another shipbuilding program to strengthen the navy.
It has been almost 5o years since Louis’ first war for Epirus. On the lands acquired during that time, an entire generation was born knowing mostly Neapolitan rule. Thanks to that, people were more accustomed to the new regime, which guaranteed more peaceful cooperation with the locals.

While one star was rising, another was falling: the Ottomans were defeated by the resurgent Byzantines once again and were forced to cede even more territory.

The was one more reason to celebrate in Naples: one of the ancestors of the Valois family has been proclaimed a saint.

Naples, 2 November 1448

“Hey, Leandro, what’s up?”

“Good afternoon, your majesty. I just want to dump a whole bunch of messages on you because I’m already tired.”

“Great! What should we start with?”

“First, there is a rather unpleasant situation with your cousin. He was seen running around piss drunk around the town square.”

“That’s pretty normal around here…”

“Yes, but it happens so that his pants were not in the same place as he.”

“*sigh* Even my own family won’t give me a break…”

“Another thing: Scotland has made peace with England.”

“Interesting. I hope they’ll stop on the Channel when moving further south.”

“Me too. I don’t like Mars bars very much. Also, we had yet another visit from our *ahem* cloaked friends.”

“I reckon they weren’t too happy about our unwillingness to complete their ‘mission’?”

“They weren’t speaking much but they gave me this:”

“Another one of this? At least this one seems simple.”

“There’s one more thing, your majesty. I have received a diplomatic note from Urbino.”

“Is it something important?”

“No, but I thought you’d like to take a look at it.”

“Let me see… ‘To King Alfonso de Valois of Naples… You mongrel, I curse you and I hope something unpleasant happens to you, like a stream of excrements falling on your head.’ …. That sounds like an insult, but it’s not really that insulting.”

“Looks like someone doesn’t pay their diplomats well.”

“Is it okay if I just ignore it?”

“That’s probably our best option. We might even score some points for easing the diplomatic tensions.”

“Right. Anyway…. It’s been almost 50 years since my father became King. Crazy isn’t it?”

“Sometimes you can’t imagine how fast the time goes…”

“So, Leandro, I have a favor to ask of you.”

“What is it, your majesty?”

“I’m planning to host a major debriefing on the political and diplomatic situation of the country. The majority of the nobles will be present. Can I ask you to prepare some speeches for them?”

“*sigh* I’m not excited for it but okay.”

------------------------------------------

So, it's finally here, sorry for the delay.

Next on the agenda- the 50- year update!

Subscribed

Am a beginner player, have played Castille/Spain and am currently playing Sweden/Scandinavia. Naples was the one I was planning to play after that so this will be very useful. Haven't read it yet but it looks very detailed :)

Subscribed

Am a beginner player, have played Castille/Spain and am currently playing Sweden/Scandinavia. Naples was the one I was planning to play after that so this will be very useful. Haven't read it yet but it looks very detailed :)

Quick, you can still run while you have a chance!

Honestly though, thanks for following. I'm not that great of a player myself, so I hope I will learn something from this playthrough myself ;)

I apologize for yet another delay, well, the thing is, the school has started for me and on top of that, I got sick. I hope to update hopefully tomorrow.

Intermission 1- The State of All that’s Naples A. D. 1450

‘AUTHOR’S NOTE: I put some out- of character commentary under the spoiler tags below the appropriate sections. Don’t know if that’s the best option, but I guess I’ll figure it out based on your comments.

Naples, 4 January 1450

Leandro was about to enter the Royal Council chamber, but he stopped right before the door. He really didn’t want to do this- putting up with just one upper- class bigot was bad enough, so how about an entire room full of them? ‘They won’t even understand half of the things I’d say!’ He could always find some kind of excuse for not being there and Alfonso respects his work enough that he wouldn’t complain…
Then he looked at his right side- he was carrying all these maps, tables and graphs. He spent an entire week trying to put this together. Had he not go there, all this hard work would’ve gone to waste…

He sighed heavily and pulled the door.

The hall was already filled with people. Most of them wore the expression that showed that they were as unhappy as Leandro to be there- they’d rather spend their time drinking and whoring away their family’s fortunes. King Alfonso was sitting in the top row along with Irina and young Alberto, his head buried in a book like it usually is. Master of Mint Alfredo, Commander Alessandro, Antoine, Alexander and other people with names beginning with an A were also present.
He sighed again, left his stuff on a table in the middle.

“’All right, I might as well do it…’ Good afternoon, good citizens of Naples, my dear friends who work so hard for the well- being of this nation. I also welcome all the nobles who graced us with coming today.”

Some people sneered, Alfonso gave a small smirk, but it seemed that his remark went by unnoticed by most.

“We’ve gather here to talk about the past achievements, the present state and the future of our country. Though let’s start by studying our geopolitical situation.”

He gestured at the helping boy. He took the first map from the table and hanged it on the wall.

As far as territory goes, I think I did decent enough. There wasn’t much more I could do without getting myself into even more drawn- out wars. Sadly, I didn’t manage to hold Provence, but maybe I’ll rectify that in the (very far) future.

“As you can see, under the reign of King Louis II de Valois and his son our present King Alfonso Naples has made significant territorial gains. The majority of South Italy, Sicily and a half of Greece our in our hands.”

“You forgot about Malta!” Shouted someone from the audience.

“Ah, yes… Malta as well… Moving on… “ The map was already replaced with a chart. “Here’s our present economic situation, courtesy of our Master of Mint Alfredo degli Albizzi.”

“Thanks to the acquisition of Sicily, our financial situation improved substantially. We are also making money from trade now, thanks to our operations in Alexandria and Genoa. We’ve gathered a bit of inflation after the Ottoman holy war, but we’re keeping it under control.”

Taking Sicily really did wonders to my economy- just compare my current income with that in the beginning of the game. I’m also starting to profit from trade- something I couldn’t do earlier because of the high infamy. Inflation is a bit higher than I’d like but I manage to keep it under control now.

He cleared his throat and gestured at the helper to change the sheets.

“Next, our domestic situation.”

Here are my NI’s and sliders. I’ve been considering getting rid of the Shrewd Commerce Practices for something else but I’ve decided against it because A) I’ve decided I want to get some trade income and B) there wasn’t anything that important to pick atm. As far as sliders go, I think I’ll stop pushing for quality for a while since I don’t want the army upkeep too high right now. I might go for Centralized and Free Subjects.

“In the past years, we pushed for modernization of our army, and it seems that our efforts are starting to pay off. We’ve also made efforts to centralize the government and strengthen the monarchy.” A round of booing filled the room.

“Any questions to this part?”

“Boring!”
“Can we go home now?”
“When do we get to the pies?”

“*sigh* All right, next on the agenda, the political maps.”

He gestured at the boy. He shrugged instinctively at the sight of the maps. They took the longest to make- it didn’t help that Crowley, who unfortunately was the only help available at the moment, insisted on writing childish insults under the country names.

“Okay, first up, Iberia and the Maghreb. As you can see, Aragon is but a dream of the past by now. The dominant power on the peninsula is Castille, who successfully warred against the Aragonese and the Muslims, winning some land in North Africa. The dominant power in the Maghreb is Morocco, who owns the last bastion of Islam in Spain, Granada.”

“Next up is Western Europe.”

I’m actually surprised how poorly England is doing. Maybe in this universe Caesar Stuart was born in England? Unsurprisingly, France is the big guy here, though Burgundy is no slouch either.

“England is progressively losing land in Britain to Scotland, but they still control all of Ireland and own significant amount of land in France. Speaking of France, they definitely are a dominant power in the region. Burgundy decided they can’t be worse, so they conquered a bunch of land in the Empire. The Emperor punished them for their transgressions by striking their name off the maps. Moving on…”

The map on the wall changed again, this time showing Central and Eastern Europe.

“The situation in this part of Europe is slowly changing, though it’s hard to predict the course of the changes. Denmark still holds an iron grip on the Calmar Union, though the separatist tendencies are slowly showing themselves. The Teutonic Order, while still having its moments of triumph, is slowly losing ground to the polish and the Scandinavian alliance. Lithuania has paid a high price for their freedom from the Polish union. Their territory is being slowly taken apart by the Russians and the Tartar rebels. In Russia, there are two major power blocks: the mercantile Novgorod and the feudal Muscowy. Which one will fill the void left by the collapse of the horde?”

…..

“Don’t look at me, I don’t know! It was a rhetorical question! Anyway, the Empire is still fragmented, but the major emerging powers are Bavaria, Bohemia and the current emperor, Austria. Next map.”

“This is the last map: The Mediterranean. Aside from Naples, another big success story is Byzantium- in a mere 50 years, they went on to retake much of their former territory. With the ottomans’ demise, things are looking pretty grim for the Turks. In the Levant, the Mamluks are a premier Muslim power.

Leandro coughed. His throat got a bit dry after talking for so long, but he thought that it’d be rude to interrupt the lecture to get a drink. ‘Well, I guess I’ll have to bear with it.’

“Anyway, that’s enough about the maps. Let’s talk about what we all know and love: numbers.”

“Here are some assorted statistics of the major European countries, sorted by their income. As you can see, we are slowly but surely climbing this ladder.”

“Now, let’s see the national armies statistics.”

“Unfortunately, Naples is not on this list.”

A few disgruntled yells rolled through the hall.

“Okay, time for navies!”

“Thanks to our ongoing naval program, Naples may have a fleet rivaling the major powers in as short as 50 years!”

*flat joy*

“Any questions to this part?”

A solitary hand rose up.

“Yes, what is it?”

“What the heck is a Vi-ja-na-na-ga-erghm?”

Leandro took a look at the graph.

“Erghm, well, that’s…. you know, it’s not important! Focus on the significant facts!”

…….

“’We’re almost over’ Now, time for some charts.” The helper boy hanged the first one, featuring the largest nations by size.

“Nothing surprising here, though you can see the slow decline of the Golden Horde.”

Loud sigh escaped Leandro’s mouth yet again. Another chart was hanged on the wall.

Here you can see just how good was the acquisition of Sicily- two Sicilian provinces are among my 3 wealthiest.

“And now… the part you’ve been all waiting for. Yes, it’s time for the pie charts.”

A loud cheering filled the chamber.

“Pies! Woohooo!”
“I love pies!”
“I prefer cats myself….”

“*sigh* Here you can see the religious and cultural composition of our country. As you can tell, we now have significant Orthodox and Muslim minorities thanks to our Greek holdings. This leads to a fact that barely a half of our citizens are of Sicilian descent. This is an issue we will have to address sooner or later.”

“Okay, now for the inflation charts.”

“There are some usual suspects here. You can also see that our own inflation in pretty stable recently. With than in mind, let’s see the last two maps…”

You can call this a call before the storm. The religious map will never be this homogenous again.

“First, the religious map. Here you can see the two Hussite enclaves in Germany. Aside from that, the Christian faith is as strong as ever.”

“Last, the technology map.”

“Naples isn’t significant as far as technology goes ‘I wonder why…’, though we’re making progress. Ss always, the prime traders are leading the technology race.”

Leandro breathed in. ‘Is this it? Is it really over?’

“With that in mind, that brings our little lecture to a close. Thank you all for coming, for I am certain that you all came here on your own accords. Leave in peace, good sirs.”

He bowed lightly. They were slight applauses going on, but people were mostly leaving without much of a reaction. King Alfonso, however, seemed very pleased.

“You did a great job, Leandro! I knew I could count on you.”

“Well, that’s the only reason I agreed to this, your Majesty.”

“Job well done! Did you find my materials useful?”

“Yes indeed, Crowley. But speaking of that, what was the deal with all those outlandish countries?”

Crowley raised an eyebrow. “What? You wanted country statistics, did you not? There was never a mention that those have to be nations that anyone’s heard of.”

“Ah, let’s just drop this for now.”

“Soo, let’s go for a drink maybe?”

“Why not? We’ll drink for the prosperity of Naples!”

--------------------------------------------------------------------
It’s here finally! School starting, moving in, being ill, Internet problems and laziness won’t stop me from updating!
….Okay, they might delay the uploading considerably, but they’ll definitely never stop me!

See you next time. Hope you’ll enjoy the next 50 years!

I keep forgetting you're playing MiscMods. That (and later its distant descendant, WAMMO) used to be my mod of choice.

There's a lot of Italian land just waiting for you to gobble it up, cascading alliances be damned. A unified Italy should be a good counterbalance to the Vijayanagari... er, I mean Vijayablarg menace.

I keep forgetting you're playing MiscMods. That (and later its distant descendant, WAMMO) used to be my mod of choice.

There's a lot of Italian land just waiting for you to gobble it up, cascading alliances be damned. A unified Italy should be a good counterbalance to the Vijayanagari... er, I mean Vijayablarg menace.

Yeah, I really like MiscMods, as it adds some nifty features without slowing down the game too much. I mostly chose it for the dynamic colonies event, thought that might create some interesting scenarios in the future.

You're laughing now, but in my old Byzantine game Vijayanagar conquered almost all of India and then fought their way all the way through Persia. It was pretty crazy.

All right, guys, I narrowly escaped the Great Ladybug Invasion of 2013 (for now!) so I'm safe now. Update coming this weekend.

Episode 17- The Depressing Episode
Geeze, all you need now is some Simple Plan in the background.

Leandro’s speech inspired a lot of people. They’ve never realized before that they were the building blocks of one of the rising powers in Europe, no, the world! It was their duty, their responsibility to steer this nation and bring it to the place that it deserves. They must strive to be better, more confident and more competent for the sake of them all!

“Hey, people! They brought the shipment of wine from Genoa!”

*WHOOSH!*

“First come, first served!”

“Hey, watch where you step!”

….Yeah, things went back to status quo pretty fast.

--------------------------------------------------------
Naples, 30 April 1450

It was already noon and the Royal Council was ready to begin its meeting. Well, almost ready- one very important person was still missing- king Alfonso. Fortunately, the sound of footsteps coming from outside signified that he might show up after all. Indeed- Alfonso stormed into the room, breathing heavily.

“Good morning, councilors….”

Leandro stood up from his seat. “Good morning, my dear King. May I ask what took you so long to meet up with us today?”

Alfonso shook everyone’s hand and took a seat.

“Oh, you know, I was stopped by some, ergm…. Important business….”

“Dear king! You appear to have some sort of lesion! I hope that’s nothing serious…”

Alessandro took notice of the mark on the Kings neck, which caused Alfonso to turn red and quickly cover his neck with a collar.

“Ah, don’t worry about it, it’s just…. ah…. mosquito bites….. Yes! The mosquitoes are pretty nasty right now.”

“I see…” Everyone decided to drop the subject and instead focused on the important matters at hand.

“That’s weird. You don’t see many mosquitoes that time of year, don’t you think?” Aziraphale said to Crowley.

“That’s not a mosquito bite, you dummy.”

“What else could it be? And who are you calling a dummy? I’m not stuffed!” Crowley just rolled his eyes and gestured him to focus on the conversation.

“The first thing I want to mention is the secession of Crimea from Lithuania.”

“Other news that might interest us more: Aragon got themselves excommunicated again.”

The room quickly filled with chatter.

“That’s interesting.” Alfonso scratched his beard. “That means they are vulnerable to attack.”

“They still control Romagna and some people want to see them punished for our bitter wars in the past.”

“They are transgressing on the sacred Italian land! This blasphemy was tolerated for far too long! Mister Nibbles says that they should be crushed!”

“Thank you, don Alessandro, we will talk about it more once the good opportunity arises.” Most members of the Royal Council learned to accept Alessandro’s antics over time. The whole ‘Mister Nibbles’ thing was still an elephant in the room though.

“More news come from the north, as the Teutonic Order is experiencing difficult times. It is rumored that their recent white peace with Aquileia have made the peasants angry.”

“Damn Aquileians. We should strike them down too!”

“*Ahem* Next on the agenda: the people of Kosovo, unhappy with Serbian policies of religious intolerance decided to take up arms and recently swore their allegiance to the Emir of Saruhan.”

Where is Arago(r)n when you need him?

“Kosovo not wanting to be a part of Serbia? I would’ve never guessed.”

“A Muslim province in the middle of the Balkans. That’ll go over well.”

“Anyway, thank you all for coming, that is all for today.”

Everyone exchanged their goodbyes and went on to their usual business. Aziraphale and Crowley stayed in the room.

“So, Crowley…. About don Chigi… Do you think his hamster is really as smart as he says?”

“Nah, I think that he simply suffered one blow to the head too many.”

“But the advice that the, ujghm, hamster gives are pretty sound…”

“You know what? I don’t really want to think about it much more.”

“Fair enough. See you later then!”

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Naples, 31 May 1450

Loud creaking of the stairs could’ve signified one thing. Actually, more like two things- the first one: the stairs really need a repair and the second, arguably more important: someone was coming. Indeed: a person dressed like a messenger was heading up the stairs, presumably towards the royal chamber.

Giovanni the butler, son of Giovanni, the previous butler of king Louis II, watched the guest approach the door.

“Excuse me, sir, but the King can’t speak with you right now.”

The messenger reacted like he had noticed him just recently.

“What? Why would it be?”

Giovanni, son of Giovanni, was about to say ‘Well, sir, maybe because you should announce your visit first’ but he notice the emblem of the Noble House von Blargha on his uniform. Their employees weren’t exactly known for their politeness.

“Sir, our dear King has recently returned from his trip to Bosnia and contracted a severe case of food poisoning there. He’s not accepting visitors now.”

“I see. If that’s the case, can you at least ask him about his thoughts on the next city council meeting?”

“I believe I can, sir.” Giovanni knocked on the door four and a half times and disappeared inside. After two minutes, he returned.”

“The King said: ‘Do whatever the heck you want.’”

“Thank you kindly. I’ll be on my way now. Send my regards to the King.”

“I will. Have a safe trip back.”

--------------------------------------------
Naples, 28 May 1452

Irina entered the Council Chamber expecting everyone engulfed in work. She was understandably shocked when she saw Alfonso and the rest lying on the floor with tormented expressions on their faces, with cards and game boards scattered all over.

“What on Earth happened here?”

“Nothing happened!” Said Crowley with pain in his voice.

“Nothing? That doesn’t look like nothing to me.”

“He’s right. Nothing happened. For over a year.”

“There was absolutely nothing to debate about. Man, we were bored…”

“I’ve noticed.” Irina wasn’t sure how to respond to the situation she encountered.

Suddenly, the door opened and Leandro entered the room with a happy expression on his face.

“Good news, everyone! Something happened!”

Everyone rejoiced on the news.

“Oh thank God! We were starting to run out of things to play!”

The Queen just sighed heavily. “I think I’ll leave you boys alone…”

……………….

„So, Leandro, tell us about the important news.”

“Well, first off, I have some information from Genoa. Our merchants are very successful there.”

“Zis will allow us to get more money from trade! Zat is wonderful!”

“That is indeed *cough* wonderful. Next *cough* on the agenda: Austria has declared war on Venice.”

“They are going at it again?”

“Indeed they are. Moreover, there have been some opportunistic scum- Aquileia decided to join in on the fun.”

“Them again? I say we crush them!”

I agree- I prefer countries with names that are easier to write.

“*ahem* We have one more matter to discuss. I assume you *cough* are aware that our architectural developments are attracting people from the countryside to the capital. This might cause some problems.”

“I suppose, but we can’t really do anything about it right now… Are you okay, Leandro? You’ve been coughing a lot today.”

“*ahem* I’m okay, my King. Just some cold.”

“All right then. I think we’re free for now.”

----------------------------------------
Naples, 6 November 1452

Despite the late time of the year, the weather was really good in Naples. It definitely was no indication of things that were happening in the Royal Palace.
King Alfonso was sitting in his office on the third floor when the sudden knock on the door got his attention. Upon opening, he saw Leandro with a grave look on his face.

“Leandro! What brings you here this early?”

“*cough* I have some news for you, your majesty. The Byzantines are at war with the Ottomans yet again.”

“I see. But couldn’t you tell me this at the council meeting?”

“*cough* I’m afraid… that there won’t be a council meeting today, my King… may I seat?”

“Of course. God, don’t scare me like that!”

“*cough* I think you won’t like the news I’m about to tell you right now…”

……………

The room went completely silent for a very long while. Alfonso was simply too shocked to say anything and Leandro couldn’t find an appropriate reaction. He even stopped coughing.

“But… how did this happen, Leandro?” Alfonso’s voice was unusually quiet.

“It was an accident… *cough* it involved stairs, a furniture transport and a Swordfish trophy. I don’t know the exact details.”

“I can’t believe…. Why did I agree on that moving today? It could’ve been done tomorrow!”

“ *cough* Don’t blame yourself, my King. You couldn’t possibly know.”

“I suppose…. With Alfredo gone, that leaves us, right?”

Leandro averted his eyes.

Naples, 6 March 1453

“*cough* Good morning, my King. *cough* How are you today?”

“Thank you, Leandro, I’m pretty good. Did you bring any news for me?”

“*cough* Yes indeed. The Turks of Karaman have declared war on the Greek kingdom of Trebizond.”

“Interesting.”

“Also,*cough* the Byzantines acquired Smyrna from Saruhan.”

“Hmm. That leaves them with only Kosovo. Shame we don’t share a border with them.”

“*cough* Yes, that’s a…. *wheeze* real *cough* shame…”

“Leandro, are you all right? I can call for a medic if you’re feeling sick.”

“*cough* That won’t be necessary… I’ll just sit down a bit and then….”

*THUD*

“LEANDRO!”

……………

“So this is how it is….”

Leandro was sitting in his bed with Alfonso as the only person accompanying him. You could not tell which one of them was more pale.

“It seems… *cough* Sorry, Alfonso, I’m dying…”

“How long do you know…?”

“It’s been going for over a week now, though I’ve found out about the same time Alfredo died. *cough* The doctors don’t know anything, except that it’s not contagious. *cough*”

“You should’ve told me that, Leandro.”

“I know… *cough* it’s just…. Between this and Alfredo I just couldn’t… *cough* put that much stuff on your head…”

“Well, thanks a lot, I feel a lot better now…”

“Please don’t be sarcastic right now. *cough* I was thinking about your feelings…”

“My feelings?! You were lying to me! You should’ve told me that you were fucking dying!”

Alfonso slammed his fist on the desk, though he quickly regretted his outburst as the anger was slowly being replaced with despair.

“I’m sorry, Leandro. I shouldn’t lash out on you like that. I just…. It’s so sudden…”

“No, Alfonso, I am sorry. *cough* I should’ve told you about my condition but I was afraid that you wouldn’t let me work.”

“*sigh* We’re just a bunch of workaholics, aren’t we?”

“*cough* I suppose so. At least I did my work dutifully to the very end.”

“That you did, Leandro.”

The two exchanged a very long hug.

“…*cough* You know, someone could interpret this in a very wrong way….”

“I know, and you know what? I don’t give a damn right now.”

The death of Leandro Mancinetti was greeted with mourning across the entire country. His funeral was made with honors belonging to someone of a royal descent. Many people from Naples and beyond came to bid farewell to one of their greatest brothers.
King Alfonso was sitting in the front row during the ceremony. He looked much older.

The ceremony was almost over and people were exchanging condolences. In this thick crowd Aziraphale was looking for a certain person. He finally found him, not that it was difficult to recognize his black coat and snake skin shoes.

“Oh, Aziraphale? Fancy seeing you here!”

“Yeah, right. Come with me, we need to talk.”

“Why can’t we talk here?”

“No one can hear us.”

Crowley made a ‘whatever you say’ gesture with his shoulders. He walked with Aziraphale for good fifteen minutes until they stopped near an old crypt.

“I think it’s pretty safe here.”

“You know, it might’ve been pretty rude of us to disappear so sudden. What would the King think?”

“Did you give him his condolences?”

“Yes, actually. Did you?”

“I did. *sigh* Poor Alfonso. First Alfredo, now Leandro, all in less than a year…”

“He’s taking it pretty bad.”

“That’s actually what I want to talk about.”

“About the inevitability of death and the futility of life as a whole?”

“Yes- No! Not exactly, at least. You see, everyone’s dying, right?”

“Thank you for that insightful observation.”

“Oh, shut up. My point is, everyone is susceptible to death, except for…”

“That bard Jaggerius? He’s been around forever.”

“I was referring to us. You see, when they’ll notice that we don’t age like normal people, they’ll get suspicious.”

“What’s wrong with that, hmm?”

“Maybe that’s fine with you, but I don’t want the inquisition on my back. God, my friends up there would never let me live this down…”

“You have friends up there? Don’t be ridiculous.”

“Again, shut up. I say that we should disappear for a while.”

“Disappear? To where?”

“I don’t know. We could go for a retirement trip, travel the world and return after a couple decades.”

“But what about our research? We don’t have anything yet.”

“Speak for yourself, Crowley.”

“You’re saying you’ve got something?”

“Just a hunch, but it’s better than nothing.”

“Share it then!”

Aziraphale smiled in a weird way. “Not so fast. I need some leverage to convince you to go with me after all.”

“Hey! It’s against the rules! We agreed to share!”

“Indeed, Crowley, but nobody said anything about sharing for free…”

He stared at Aziraphale like it was the first time he ever saw him. “Aurgh!.... Okay, Angel, you win.”

“hehe, I’m glad that we’ve come to an agreement!”

One good thing about forum maintenance: it gives me a convenient excuse for updating a day late.

Episode 18- Sweet Polly Oliver!
More soap opera! Yay!

Naples, 10 May 1453

Alberto de Valois was always a timid kid. It was most likely caused by his upbringing- being the only son of the King of Naples, he was always surrounded by an atmosphere of care and understanding. The only bad influence he might’ve had was Crowley and fortunately he was completely content with making minor mischief. As a result, young Prince have become a polite, quiet individual.

Many rumors were circling around the town. People were talking about the end of the war between Austria and Venice and the subsequent opportunistic aggression by Genoa.

Alberto cared for none of these things. He preferred to spend his time in a city library and lose himself in lecture. He could’ve stayed in the palace, but he thought the library had an atmosphere better suited for learning. Especially now, with Leandro’s death it was difficult to stay at home. Not that he didn’t care about Leandro’s death- far from it. He preferred to contemplate his feelings alone though.

Alberto was part of the generation that rediscovered the classics. The unexpected resurgence of the Byzantine Empire, coupled with the collapse of the Mongol Horde, caused the rebirth of the Mediterranean trade. Merchants returning from the Levant have brought back ancient literature, art and scientific and philosophical treaties that were once lost to time. Naples, Tuscany, Bologna and other prominent Italian cities became the centers of a new golden age of culture- a ‘Renaissance’- the rebirth of civilization.

As the member of a royal family, he has able to study at the most prestigious universities in Europe (It helped that most of them were situated in Italy.). He went to the university hoping he’ll learn something new. He did- though most of this knowledge was about human body’s tolerance of alcohol and sleep deprivation.

Since his childhood, Alberto preferred to surround himself with books rather than people and his university days did little to change that. That’s why he always enjoyed spending time in a library.

His plan was going to be exactly the same as always- grab a bunch of books and read up until evening. He was approaching the bookcase, pondering whether to get Saint Augustine’s Letters or Aristotle’s treaties when his train of thought was interrupted in a rather violent fashion.

*THUD!*

Alberto stumbled a bit while a sharp pain filled his head. His walk towards the bookcase was interrupted by some sort of obstacle. Judging from the yelps of pain coming from the floor, said obstacle was a person.

“Aww… what happened?”

“That’s a weird way of saying ‘I’m sorry’, you know.”

Indeed, in his rush towards the bookcase, Alberto accidentally bumped his head with someone else. He was now lying on the floor, covered with books of various sizes.

“Don’t just stand around, help me!”

“Umm…. Oh, yeah, right…”

Alberto helped him get up and pick up his lectures.

“Thank you kindly” said the stranger while dusting off his clothes. “though you didn’t have to help me get up, I was talking about the books…” He felt his face with his hand. “Oh, no… Have you seen my glasses by chance?”

Alberto looked around. He didn’t notice that he was wearing glasses- in fact, he didn’t notice him at all, that’s why they bumped into each other. Fortunately, they were lying on the floor nearby, undamaged.

“Here you go.”

“Oh, thank you.” He took the glasses out of Alberto’s hand and put them on his nose. “I should really pay more attention to my surround….” He stopped when his gaze met Alberto’s. The Prince hadn’t have a chance to take a look at him until now. He was quite short and very young, probably fresh off the university. His long red hair were tied in a ponytail. There was something almost feminine about him, though he obviously was a man, as his mustache confirmed.
They were staring at each other for God knows how long (his eyes were a nice shade of green, as Alberto noticed; quite similar to his own, inherited from his mother, only darker). The Prince was the first one to regain his composure.

“Oh, sorry. I didn’t want to stare like that.”

“It’s all right. I shouldn’t be staring either.” He looked down in embarrassment, which Alberto found cute for some reason.

“Well, I was hoping for a better start of this relation… by the way, I didn’t ask for your name, did I?”

“Oh, right… My name is Oliver Bieleucci… You seem familiar, sir. Have I seen you before?..”

“That’s…. possible. Did you study in Padua by chance?”

“Oh, yes! I just came back home a week ago!”

“That’s cool. I’ve been studying there too! I’ve actually been to a lot of universities.”

“Wow! The world sure is a small place, isn’t it, mister….”

“Right, I didn’t introduce myself…. I’m….. ugh…. Alberto.” He was reluctant to reveal his family name. People were usually being either mean or pandering when they heard he came from the royal family.

“Well, nice to meet you, don Alberto!”

They shook hands. His handshake was surprisingly firm.

“Well then, weren’t you supposed to get some books? I won’t stop you any longer.”

“Ah, thank you. I’ll go then. Maybe I’ll see you around.”

“That would be nice. I come here very often.”

…………………..

Alberto’s library run was just about complete and just in time too- evening was coming and the building was about to close. He was just about to leave when he saw Oliver from earlier, still sitting over a book.

“Hey there! Still busy?”

“Huh…? Oh, sorry. I got lost in lecture.”

“Aren’t you going home? The library will close soon.”

“Really?.... Oh, I didn’t finish my lecture though!”

“Can’t you borrow it and take it with you?”

“I’d like to, but since I’m not from a noble family they won’t let me.”

Alberto nodded- he was aware that, since the books were still expensive (The printing press was barely 20 years old and still relatively obscure), they weren’t given to just anyone. He didn’t think about that much until now.

“Aww, this book is so hard to come by, I bet someone will snatch it tomorrow!”

He took a glance at the book’s back: it was Plato’s “Dialogues”, a pre- print version, probably quite valuable.

“Well, that’s problematic…. I know! Let me borrow it for you! Then you can finish it!”

“Wait… but, won’t that be a problem for you?”

“Not at all! I come here almost every day, so when you’re finished with it, just find me here.”

“In that case, I guess it would be rude to decline!”

……………………….

The sky was already pitch black as Alberto and Oliver, the latter with a book in his hands, were walking down the streets on Naples, unaware of the dangers that could represent.

“So, did you like being to the university?”

“Oh, yes. There was always so much going on! It was great to see so many new places.”

“So, you like to travel?”

“I do. It was my dream since I was little. Unfortunately, since I was the oldest child of my family, I had to look after them. My mother died when I was six, you know.”

“Oh, sorry to hear that.”

“Don’t worry about me. I really love my brothers, even if they can be a bother sometimes.”

“Tell me about it. I have a younger sister myself.”

“It’s really dark now. I hope we won’t run into any trouble..”

“Oi, Fernando, look what we have here!”

They turned around to see three rather large individuals coming from the back alley. Their intelligence seemed to be on par with their number of teeth.
“I see, hem hem! Some lovebirds have decided to go for a late night walk it seems! Didn’t your mothers tell you that it’s dangerous to go out in the dark?”

“Oi, I don’t know. The short one kinda looks like a man to me.”

“What, with that pretty face and the long hair? No way.”

“He has a mustache, though.”

“So does your mother, Luigi.”

“Shut your mouth or else I’ll whack your teeth out! What’s left of it!”

The thugs started arguing. Alberto took a good look at them all: three of them to be exact. They were quite intimidating, both in appearance and, maybe ever more so, in smell. They were armed with short knives and wooden bat, a light weaponry considering the time and place, though they still had an advantage over two unarmed people.

He looked at Oliver. It was difficult to read his expression in the dark.

“You know, maybe it would be best if we beat it while they’re busy…”

“Hey, you two! We’re not done with you yet! You see, you’ve had a great misfortune of walking into our very own corner…”

“So you own only this corner?”

“You’re laughing at us?! It’s so hard to be a thug over here, the competition is huge…. We’re happy with what we’ve got!”

“All right, so, what do you want from us?”

“Ain’t that obvious? You have to pay us a toll!”

Alberto gasped. He didn’t want to part with his pocket money, even though he didn’t have much on him right now. Frankly, he worried more about getting beat up, and he thought it might be difficult to avoid that.

He didn’t have the chance to ponder on that much more, as Oliver decided to quip in on the conversation.

“Look, we don’t have much money, but take a look at this. What I have in my hands is a very rare and valuable book. Just think how much knowledge you could get from it!”

“Are you making fun of us, fancy boy?! Do we look like schor… schlar… people who read books?”

“You could always sell it for a profit.”

“Oliver, are you serious? This is a…” Alberto tried to interject but was gestured to remain silent.

The bandit leader scratched his bald. You could almost see the big, rusty, worn up gears turning inside his head.

“Well, all right then! But we better don’t regret it!”

“Oh, trust me, you won’t.”

The leader approached Oliver, who was now holding his book in front of him. Alberto thought there’s something suspicious about it and he was correct.

It happened fast. Alberto was certain that blinking has caused him to lose some important details.

The thug leader reached out with his hand, ready to take the book. He got it, though not in a way he expected- we was instead greeted by a rather large tome of Plato hitting him on squarely in the face.
He grunted in pain and stumbled. The other thugs, alarmed by the situation, rushed forward to help him. It was a mistake. One of them had a rather unexpected close encounter with the sidewalk when his legs were tripped by an unsuspected obstacle. The other went straight at Oliver. He was greeted by a knee in a very delicate area of male anatomy. The leader, after regaining his balance, launched forward, only to trip over the other thug.

Alberto looked at the whole scene with a mixture of amazement and horror.

“I think it’s better if we run before they get up.”

Alberto just nodded and ran after him. He couldn’t help but frantically look behind from time to time.

“Oh, don’t worry. The book is undamaged.”

“It was really risky, you know.”

“I know. It worked though, so does it matter?”

“I suppose it doesn’t. It’s thanks to you that I didn’t get up tonight. I guess I owe you thanks.”

“You’re welcome. I didn’t expect them to go down so easily. I didn’t even have to take out my mace!”

“You have a…. what…?”

“Hah, you know, my house is actually nearby.”

“So this is where we part then. Hope we’ll meet again soon!”

“ I hope so too. Do you live far from here?”

Alberto looked up to see the Palace rising high above the city landscape. “Don’t worry. I’ll make it.”

-----------------------------------------
Naples, 12 October 1453

The last few months in Naples went rather peacefully. The only significant issue was a minor religious uproar in the province of Morea, where people were getting restless over the increasingly invasive missionary activities.

Today though was a special day for a few people in Naples. After a few months of mourning, the King had to find a new chief diplomat to replace Leandro. After a few audiences, and refusing a bunch of nobles trying to push their incompetent relatives to the position, Alfonso has found a perfect person for the job.

“So, Mr. Bieleucci, do you think you’re up to the job?”

“I don’t know, my liege, but I’ll certainly do my best!”

Alfonso was pleased. It was very hard to find a fitting replacement for Leandro, but don Bieleucci was a perfect choice. Well, almost perfect- the one person he’d like to see more in this role was Irina, his wife. Unfortunately, she was a woman, and it was unheard of for a woman to take such a high position at that time. Alfonso was always eager to antagonize some of the more stuck up nobles, but he knew that there are some limits to that.

“So, Mr. Bieleucci, what can you tell me about the recent events?”

“Oh, yes…. The Byzantines are at peace at last after yet another war with the Ottomans. They have managed to push them away from the coast.”

“The Byzantines keep on expanding. We have to discuss this issue with the council.”

“There’s more, my Liege. The Teutonic Order is in a state of continuous decline. They have lost a war with Denmark and had to cede territory to them.”

“They are also plagued by rebellion. One of the rebel factions, Pomerania, even managed to declare independence from them.”

“I wouldn’t want to be them, that’s for sure. I’m surprised Poland wasn’t involved in any of this.”

“They were, you just didn’t let me finish.”

“Well, thank you for your input, Mr. Bieleucci. I hope we’ll have a fruitful cooperation.”

“Thank you, my King. When will you introduce me to the Royal Council?”

“We are meeting next week, so you’ll have to wait until then. But, I can introduce you to my family now. I bet they’d like to meet you.”

“I’d by honored, my liege.”

………………………….

“So, here we are. Mr. Bieleucci, meet my family.”

The chief diplomat and Alfonso were standing right beside the door of the living room.

“It’s always a pleasure to meet a new member of the court.” Irina got up from the couch she was sitting on and extended her arm. He seemed unsure what to do for a minute, but ultimately kissed her hand.

“Now then, let me introduce you to my dear children, Anastasia and Alberto.”

Alberto was sitting behind the cupboard, so he didn’t see the guest at first. When he saw him, he almost dropped the cup he was holding.

“Oliver?”

“Alberto?...”

The King gave them a curious look.

“You two know each other?”

“Actually yes. We’ve met in the city library.”

“That’s interesting. The world really is a small place, huh?”

“Indeed it is, father.”

……..

“So, congratulations on your new job.”

Oliver decided to wait for Alberto after the meeting was finished. He figured that the two of them might want to talk.

“Thank you. I honestly didn’t expect that I’d get that job. And I certainly did not expect seeing you here…”

“I was thinking…. You might be wondering why…”

„Why haven’t you told me that you’re the son of the King? Yes, that thought did cross my mind.”

“You don’t have to be sarcastic. I know that’s my fault, it’s just… I’ve met people who were really mean when they found out who I am. I didn’t want you to become the same way.”

“It’s okay, I’m not blaming you for not telling me. It’s just…. You know…. Oh, nevermind.”

“Well, I’m glad you’re not mad at me. I hope there won’t be any more secrets between us from now on.”

Oliver looked down for a second.

“I’m still surprised that you applied for this position.”

“Actually, I did it to impress you.”

“Me?”

“Yes. You were always encouraging me to do better. It was always my dream to work at the court and this position was just perfect. I didn’t expect I’d get it, though, with my rather un- noble background.”

“Don’t worry about that. You are the perfect person to be a royal diplomat and my father saw that. I’m sure you’ll do just fine.”

“Thanks. I’ll make sure not to disappoint anyone.”

Naples, 17 October 1453

“Thank you all for coming here as always. It is time to begin our weekly council meeting.”

All councilors sat down at Alfonso’s gesture.

“Today, we have only three issues to discuss. First: let me introduce you to our new chief diplomat, Oliver Bieleucci.”

Oliver stood up and bowed slightly.

“I’m glad to meet you all.”

“Mr. Oliver, this is don Alessandro Chigi, our Commandant, and these two fine individuals are Antoine Ziraphale and Mr. Alexander Crowley. They’ve been working for the royal family almost since I was born.”

After a couple of handshakes, the meeting was resumed.

“Mr. Alessandro, it has come to my knowledge that some people have issues with the way our soldiers are being trained.”

“That’s preposterous! Our soldiers are the pride of Italy! There is no army on this rock that’s mightier!”

“Nonetheless, I would like you to investigate the situation and address these complains. The only thing worse than an uppity noble is an uppity noble who feels threatened.”

“All right, your majesty! Me and Mister Nibbles will get right to it!”

“Excuse me if I’m being nosy, but who’s Mister Nibbles? The King did not introduce anyone of that name.”

Aziraphale and Crowley exchanged curious looks. The newcomer obviously didn’t hear about Mr. Chigi’s ‘condition’. It might be humorous to see the results of this.

“Oh, Mr. Oliver did not hear about the mighty and illustrious Mister Nibbles? I thought he’s very famous! Here, see for yourself!”

He took Mister Nibbles out of his pocket and placed him on the palm of his hand.

“Wait. Mister Nibbles is….. a hamster…?”

“Yes. What else did you expect him to be?”

“Oh. He’s….”

“Oh my God, he’s sooo cute <3!”

“Did you hear that, Mister Nibbles? Mr Oliver likes you!”

“Oh, look at his sweet little tail! Can I pet him?”

“*AHEM* May we get back to the matters at hand, please?”

“Oh, of course, my King. I got carried away.”

“Thank you. As our last thing today, I’d like to announce the retirement of our dear friends Antoine and Alexander. They have served Naples for a really long time. This place surely won’t be the same without them.”

“Oh, please, my King, don’t embarrass us. We’re glad we could serve such a great leader!”

“Antoine’s right. It’s not like we’ll be gone forever! We just thought that the time is right for a change of environment.”

“I know. It’s still sad to watch you leave.”

“Oh, don’t worry, my Liege. You’ll do just fine without us!”

“I’ll have to. All right, I know you might be tired, so the council meeting is officially over. Thank you and take care.”

The end of 1453 marked an end of a significant era of European history. In that year Granada, the last bastion of Moors in Iberia, has fallen to the Castillans. The entire Iberian peninsula was in Christian hands for the first time in almost 1000 years.

Furthermore, it also marked the end of the Most Serene Republic of Venice. The city was conquered and annexed by Genoa shortly before the end of the year.

Despite all of that, Naples was still relatively calm, a safe haven in the middle of the storm. Everyone knew that this won’t last forever, so it’s best that they’ll prepare.

-----------------------------------------
Naples, 26 April 1454

“Good morning, Oliver! Why are you in such a hurry?”

“Oh, good morning, Alberto. I have an important message for your fa- the King.”

“What is so important that it requires his immediate attention?”

“The French have declared war on the English again.”

“Hmm, it’s troubling, definitely. The French are getting stronger, which is bad for us. We have a grudge against them, or so I heard.”

“You don’t seem to be interested in politics much.”

“That’s because it’s boring! I’d rather read a book.”

“You know, it’s not a good attitude to have if you’re going to be the next king.”

“Yeah, it’s just…. Everyone expects me to be as good as my father. That’s a lot of pressure. They’ve always said ‘Oh, you need to go to the ball to represent your family’ or ‘you need to find a good wife’ or ‘you need to wash your head every month’…”

“You were never interested in these kind of things?”

“Can’t say that I am…. Wait, are you suggesting that I don’t like women?...”

“Certainly not. Though I haven’t seen you with many women at all. Maybe you have someone in mind?”

“Me? Well, no, I mean, I don’t know. Haven’t thought about that much to be honest. What about you?”

“Hmm, maybe? Well, I might have someone but, ah, it’s complicated. Let’s talk about it some other time, okay?”

“All right, I won’t stop you any longer!”

------------------------------------------------------------

Azirahpale was packing his stuff when he heard the knock on the door.

“Angel, are you ready?’

“I told you not to call me that when people might be hearing! I’m almost done.”

Indeed, he had just packed the last of his stuff in his worn out bag.

“Okay we might go.”

“Splendid.”

“Remind me why are we sneaking out in the middle of the night?”

“It’s not like we’re running or anything, we already went to the official goodbye ceremony. Besides, I prefer to travel when it’s dark. It’s more mysterious.”

“How can you even see anything in those spectacles of yours?”

“My vision is augu…. I mean, I can echolocate, like a bat. That was sarcasm, by the way.”

“Okay, forget it.” Aziraphale looked behind him, at the Royal Palace of Naples. “I’m going to miss this place.”

“Don’t get too sentimental. We’re be going back there. Speaking of, you owe me a bit of exposition, remember?”

“Ah, yes. Well, let me explain it to you this way: Neapolitan Greece.”

“What about it?”

“Do you think that’s a thing that could realistically happen?”

“Well, it DID happen.”

“*sigh* Let me try this differently: have you ever heard about The Book?”

“The Great Book of All Things That Happened and Could Happen? I thought it’s just a rumor.”

“No, it’s real. Though I think no one but The Boss really knows what’s inside. I have only seen small glimpses of it and I might consider myself lucky.”

“From what I’ve heard it doesn’t contain the exact visions of the future, only more or less accurate predictions.”

“That’s true, but I’m almost certain is says nothing about the Morrocans owning Brittany or Hungary conquering lands in Italy.”

“Get to the point.”

“As you wish. My point is: something, or someone, is changing history. That’s why all these strange things are happening: countries owning lands where they have no business being, nations thrive when they should fall, people believing hamsters make good military commanders, you name it.”

“You know that’s pretty far- fetched, right?”

“I did not think you’d believe me right away. That’s why we’ll go meet someone who can shed some light on our situation.”

“Who exactly?”

“I’ll tell you when the time is right.”

“Gah, you’re such a jerk sometimes.”

----------------------------------------------------------
MEANWHILE AT THE DOCKS

It was already way past midnight and The Deceased Crab Tavern was about to close. The bartender was ready to close the inn when he saw a lone customer marauding at the counter. Unusually, the customer was a woman.

“Sorry, miss, but we’re closing.”

“Huh?... Ah, sorry, I got lost in thought.”

“Is something wrong?”

“I don’t know if that’s okay for you to hear about my problems.”

“Oh, don’t worry. I do counseling for the half of this damn town. *sigh* Now, what’s on your mind?”

“You see, there’s this guy…”

“Ah, so it’s about love… That seems to be one of the major issues I deal with here.”

“So what do you usually suggest?”

“I’ve found out that the acceptable solution is alcohol.”

“Does it work?”

“No, but it does take your mind off it for a while. So, what’s the matter? Does he like you?”

“I’m afraid he might…”

“So what’s the problem? Is he engaged?”

“No, he’s just…. God, that’s stupid…. *sigh* he thinks I’m a man.”

The bartender smiled and nodded, then he went to the cabinet and took out a long bottle with a clear liquor inside.

“You know, my friend, I think this one calls for a special treatment.”

----------------------------------------------
Oh man…. Right off the bat I want to apologize for not updating for almost three weeks. It was a really hectic time for me with the school time and everything; as a result, I felt a lack of inspiration. Thus, I decided to take a break to get some fresh ideas. On top of that, it took me like a week to finish this update.
I hope you enjoyed it, as I think this is the longest one yet. As always, thanks for reading!

Oh, how I missed being up to date here! A fantastic way for me to welcome myself back into the thread. Very well done. ;)

I am certainly looking forward to seeing where you go from here. I can see some dramatic things on the horizon...

Oh, how I missed being up to date here! A fantastic way for me to welcome myself back into the thread. Very well done. ;)

I am certainly looking forward to seeing where you go from here. I can see some dramatic things on the horizon...

Well, I'm glad to see you back, and I'm glad you're still enjoying this!

I'm really sorry for not updating for so long again. I just couldn't find the time to work on an update properly. Don't worry though, it should be up in a few days.