EU4 <-> CK2 Vassals: Nobles, Factions and Crown Authority (States within the State)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Filip de Norre

Dovahkiin
55 Badges
Mar 27, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
I'm huge fan of both CK2 and the up and coming EU4.

In CK2 the "states within" is handled with these great vassal mechanics, with levies and opinion, determined by your crown authority, tech, traits, diplomacy and other laws and factors. In EU3 it was only handled as random "noble revolts" and for some it was handled extremely ahistorical, for instance France. In CK2 the (in EU3 independent duchies) would be handled as vassals with altering opinions and low crown authority. In EU3 they are handled as indenpendent states (still vassals though) you have to diplo-annex one at a time, instead of a general increase in centralizing the power structure around Paris and the king. The territories that France starts with still had lots of indenpendent nobles, with vast territories and estates, but they will only be represented as territory owned by France, and oh yeah, for some random reasons some random duke will revolt as a weak "noble revolt" army without any clue to what' it's doing. The system EU3 uses (and judging by the diaries EU4) is ahistorical and lousy. CK2's system gives you the perfect picture of what's going on and why among your vassals.

Of course you can't have a complete vassal system as in CK2, but the EU3 system is simply s... And even if whatever startsetup it uses gives the right outcome 100 years late, it's still miserable, because it doesn't give the possibilities and clarity that would increase the fun of the game. As England I'd like to see that Lancaster and York will fight for the throne because of my poor skills and lack of heir, not just get some prescripted event. Why couldn't the same have happened to anyone? And as the english player I should be able to see that this conflict is brewing, and try to prevent (or not) instead of reading the scripted event and see which factors does what. In general I'm against unique and historical events. The results of these events, should be able to happen to anyone under the right circumstances, and some nations (like England) will already live up to most of these factors before it happens.

Random noble revolts happens a lot in EU3, nobody knows why. Nobody knows which noble leads this army, and odd enough, he's besieging his own province, and no other nobles help him, and so on...
In CK2 you have a strong noble revolting, why? He has a claim on your throne, or he wants more autonomy, or indenpendence. He's the Duke of Champagne, so of course all of his estates in Champagne is already under his control. He's child friends with the duke of Aquitaine and Provence, because they are all three zealous, humble and charitable, so they join too. His cousin is the duke of Gascony so he's in on it too. This revolt already controls four duchies and four allied but indenpendent armies are marching towards you. In EU3, you have -2 stability, and every now and then some random 5k army rises in some province due to revolt risk, and because of other factors it's supposedely a noble revolt, but there's not anything noble to it, and he must quite lowly ranked because you've never heard of him. Players want realism, historical correct start setup, plausible possibilities instead of unrealistic lock of certain features to certain nations, and players want clarity. Why does he do that, and why do they revolt and why is anything as it is.

But probably we'll get the usual King answer, that we're morons wanting the impossible and that we dont know s... about anything, and that he and Paradox are right about everything (like the Pope) and that we are lucky Paradox will take our money, and we don't have any right to expect anything from the product we buy.

You do have a point...the problem is, it is practically impossible to implement CK2 mechanics into Eu series as they are different games to start with. Also, by mid 1500 these mechanics become more and more redundant in a game as EU, simply because states were becoming more and more centralised and vassals weren't really a big power factor any more. So except for the first 100 years of the game importing whole ck2 system into Eu wouldn't be practicall...

But, I do believe that something should be done about rebellions and oversimplifed vassal system. Maybe they should (in the nex expansion) add a tab or something which would represent vassal relations and rebellions in more detail...

But probably we'll get the usual King answer, that we're morons wanting the impossible and that we dont know s... about anything, and that he and Paradox are right about everything (like the Pope) and that we are lucky Paradox will take our money, and we don't have any right to expect anything from the product we buy.

Nice argument you have there.

Best way to end a request, by insulting the one you petition! :)

Also, you do realise that game design is not just throwing random functions together? They made the design years ago and can't just change stuff at whim.

You do have a point...the problem is, it is practically impossible to implement CK2 mechanics into Eu series as they are different games to start with. Also, by mid 1500 these mechanics become more and more redundant in a game as EU, simply because states were becoming more and more centralised and vassals weren't really a big power factor any more .

Well a states within a state feature would make the early game much more interesting and then could be used for other vassels such as the Spanish viceroys and other European colonies that had some self rule their would have to be some changes if it would work smoothly

Well a states within a state feature would make the early game much more interesting and then could be used for other vassels such as the Spanish viceroys and other European colonies that had some self rule their would have to be some changes if it would work smoothly

That's why I said that although it probably wouldn't be sensible to outright implement and incorporate CK2 mechanics into EU, it would be great if there would be a new tab in country management where you would manage states within state (first as vassals, later as colonies)...

it's e big difference between ck2 vassals and eu4 vassals. in ck2 vassals are represented by domestic political entities within an country with some autonomy from the senior, in eu4 vassals are external entities with a relation with senior country more like puppets or satellites from HOI3 and V2. paradox should make a difference between vassals of france in 100 years war and for example relation between scotland and england in both ck2 and eu4

Actually, when they don't like an idea or the way it's framed, they just don't comment on it, and by finishing your post that way, you pretty much guaranteed no dev will post here.

Regarding the substance, I do think a greater role for nobility would have been fun. And a greater role for dynasties in monarchies and for important plutocrats in Republics.

This could be handled with something like a Factions system from Ck2; as you mismanage your realm, you could see in a tab the names and the faces of important people you're pissing off and what they want from you. You could also see a Dynastic tree, and the 'heirless' mechanic would disappear, instead replaced entirely by a stronger 'claims-strength' mechanic. Instead of having no heir, you could be in a position where the heir is a distant cousin, and should he inherit, instantly you'd have major dukes popping up in that Faction tab and unless you give them everything they want instantly, a civil war could erupt, etc.

To me, this would have been a much more fun way to punish overextension and blobbing than imposing artificially linear resources (MPPs, new envoys) and arbitrary penalties (new overextension system). In CK2 when all goes to hell, it makes sense to me. From what I've seen so far, in Eu4, curbing growth at all costs is so central to the design philosophy that plausibility has been largely sacrificed on this altar. It'll still be a fun game, but probably less immersive at first than CK2. I have hopes that over the game's lifespan these things will get fleshed out more though.

Last edited:
Be nice to have the civil war mechanics from CK2 but some things are just entirely incompatible due to the timeframe of EU4.

Yeah but having the ck2 vassal system would offer so many different gameplay opportunities such as the European duchies, counties and baronys then later the European colonies and trading companies ···

Best way to end a request, by insulting the one you petition! :)

Also, you do realise that game design is not just throwing random functions together? They made the design years ago and can't just change stuff at whim.

Well, when you know King, don't you think it's quite close to what answer he would have given? (if giving any)

A lot is actually random factors. Not random functions of course. And even when it's not random, it's still not precise nor clear, what's happening and why. I have low stability and high war exhaustion, okay that gives high revolt risk. Fair enough. A "noble revolt" occurs. The leader is "John Doe". Who he is, the game doesn't answer, what rank and titles he have the game doesn't answer either. I have high centralization, so he wants to lower that, okay that's a fair aim. But why is he the only one? Why didn't he talk to the nobles in the other provinces having just as high revolt risk, same culture, same religion and so on? I'm sure you can see what I mean.

To me, this would have been a much more fun way to punish overextension and blobbing than imposing artificially linear resources (MPPs, new envoys) and arbitrary penalties (new overextension system). In CK2 when all goes to hell, it makes sense to me. From what I've seen so far, in Eu4, curbing growth at all costs is so central to the design philosophy that plausibility has been largely sacrificed on this altar. It'll still be a fun game, but probably less immersive at first than CK2. I have hopes that over the game's lifespan these things will get fleshed out more though.

Spot on. It makes sense in CK2, it simply doesn't in the EU series. We need that sense/clarity to what is happening and why.

I'm not asking for a CK2 vassal system, but as said some sort of faction system, which in early game will represent nobility, while later on it could cover dynastic issues, trading companies, colonies and autonomy. And yes probably just some tab, showing what the faction wants, their control, (provinces, wealth, troops etc.) leaders, revolt risk/opinion of you/what you do.

The game needs a system that covers the possibilities of the "faction issues" that did happen, but now possible for anyone experiencing the same issues, instead of prescripted events and other arbitrary b___s___

Last edited:

You sir, have shifted my mind, saved me from darkness of ignorance. I thank you for your eloquent arguments.
But seriously, if you are ending argument like that, its obvious you are just trolling. In EU3 nobles revolt because you wont let them whip their peasants, ruining their dinner parties. Since EU4 does away with sliders, nobles would have different reasons for revolting. I wonder if rebels will be able to force player to abandon/adapt different ideas (Revolutionaries win -> losing aristocracy gaining plutocracy). Or will rebellions simply cause temporary decrease in tax revenue or monarchpoints.
There will be no expansion of vassal system, since at this point feudalism is on the run. There are still rich and powerful landowners, but no complex tiers.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you call War of the Roses a "feudal" issue? How about France at the start of the game? And later on a system to depict other factions, like religious movements (like huguenots) governours (colonial) and trading companies (East India Company, a state in it's own right)

I'm not arguing for at CK2 vassal system, but some sort of faction system is needed

States within states is a grand idea. It could be used to have much more varied degrees of integration of Empires. Colonial viceroys, vassals, diploannexing could all be brought into a state within a state system.

A lot is actually random factors. Not random functions of course. And even when it's not random, it's still not precise nor clear, what's happening and why. I have low stability and high war exhaustion, okay that gives high revolt risk. Fair enough. A "noble revolt" occurs. The leader is "John Doe". Who he is, the game doesn't answer, what rank and titles he have the game doesn't answer either. I have high centralization, so he wants to lower that, okay that's a fair aim. But why is he the only one? Why didn't he talk to the nobles in the other provinces having just as high revolt risk, same culture, same religion and so on? I'm sure you can see what I mean.

As a far as I have understood in EU IV there will be rebell factions in the country just like in Victoria II, i.e. that you won't get a lot of small, annoying revolts, but fewer larger and more dangerous rebellions of certain groups.

As a far as I have understood in EU IV there will be rebell factions in the country just like in Victoria II, i.e. that you won't get a lot of small, annoying revolts, but fewer larger and more dangerous rebellions of certain groups.

Yes, but still not clear nor interesting enough, especially as it would still be very very narrow in covering some of the conflicts that did errupt.

So even though EU Rome was...less than a success. I for one agree that there needs to be something of an improved domestic politics system. I thought EU Rome's system of dividing empires into provinces was a great system. When I saw some sort of provincial system for the Ottomans I was so excited for them they might be my first nation that I play now that I've heard of them having some sort of province system.