• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I installed it and it works, great job!

Couple of problems, however:
- Is it possible to change a name of the province with your editor? There is a name field, but it seems to change the name the province is referred with in the province.csv file. Such as "PROV851". If it is changed, a similar field must be added in province_names.csv, so there's no much use for that command as it results with "UNKNOWN STRING WANTED" in the game.
- I tried to set positions, and evidently the DHPE does something as it remembers the places of the squares that tell the position's place when I start the program again. But in the game the army stands on another continent. Is this because I have loaded only one ProvID file? How I can make DHPE to understand that this is not the map_0_0.ProvID.png map_351_45.ProvID.png?

A suggestion for further improvement: make it possible to load up "what the game actually sees", i.e. so that I see colorscales map with rivers superimposed, but when I click a province, the DHPE reads the corresponding ProvID file and gives me correct province information.

EmperorWillham, the program helps in editing CSV files that come along with the map. If you look closely at the screenshot you can get the idea what data it can alter.
dhpe.png

Namely, terrain types, climates, resources, icon positions, etc.

Miihkali, I really don't remember how was the naming implemented. When edited, it should remember the new name but keep PROVXXXX entry in background and then generate proper province_names.csv definitions.
About loading map divided into rectangles... it was the last feature added into the program (mainly because it uses standard Windows controls and the pictures are massive so the performance when whole map is loaded is sluggish). It's possible that somethng goes wrong and the (left,top) origin is not recognized and positions are therefore wrong.

Anyway, both those things should be easily fixed, I'll take a look at it during the weekend.

About see-what-you-get... Do you mean that you want to see the whole map with all rectangles merged? I'm afraid the app, in the way it is structured, will have hard time dealing with it. If you have huge single PNG files for provID and colorscales, it's possible already to import it in one go. Or is it important for you to see rivers? TBH I don't know how the game defines and displays rivers.

About loading map divided into rectangles... it was the last feature added into the program (mainly because it uses standard Windows controls and the pictures are massive so the performance when whole map is loaded is sluggish). It's possible that somethng goes wrong and the (left,top) origin is not recognized and positions are therefore wrong.

Ok. It seems that at least with my machine DHPE every ProvID file is regarded as a separate map, beginning with coordinates 0,0. Could it have something to do with the fact that my ProvID files are not named " id_R1C1.png" and such but "map_0_90.ProvID" etc?

About see-what-you-get... Do you mean that you want to see the whole map with all rectangles merged? I'm afraid the app, in the way it is structured, will have hard time dealing with it. If you have huge single PNG files for provID and colorscales, it's possible already to import it in one go. Or is it important for you to see rivers? TBH I don't know how the game defines and displays rivers.

No, but it would have made editing the map slightly easier. Not that the current version wouldn't make map-modding already a great deal easier.

OK, it was a very mundane task, i.e. digging into year-old code and I had no map tiles at hand to try the program on. But I think that province_names.csv support should now work and the program should be able to decode map_x_y into meaningful (x,y) coordinates that are added/subtracted to/from the screen coords when needed.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A80A324886980C06!223077 (dhpe12.zip file)

If it's still not working, let me know.

I might have made some mistake, but it doesn't seem to help. The mouseover coordinates the DHPE window gives seem to be different (for example the top left corner of map_351_45.provID.png reads 3510,00), but when I try to save my edits, the coordinates seem to still be located on the top left corner of the whole DH map (i.e. in Alaska). What if you would just let the user to tell DHPE how many blocks he wants to add to the coordinates?

As for province names, the game doesn't even launch before I delete the province_names.csv file, so it is somehow bugged too.

Miihkali, I tried to solve these issues again and I think I made it but I feel like a child in the dark :) Could you PM me a link to your map files so I can check for sure that the changes will work? Thanks!

Hi!

Here are the map files, I'm sorry for making you wait.

http://miihkali.eu/map.rar

I've included only ProvID files as well as those colourscale files I have edited. The files I'm currently trying to use are map_351_45.colorscales and map_351_90.ProvID.

It's me who keeps you waiting. But I have a problem finding time for virtually anything the last week or two :O

I tried to work with your files and it looks like a base for a very nice map but to really test how the program is working I'd still need matching colorscales files and at least ID conversion tables. Is it all the files that you have at the moment?

Anyway, after a one or two bugfixes it's another version, it includes an example ID color table. It now uses better map folders definition and generally should no longer have problem with defining origin y coordinate (which was buggy in no less than two places).

Link: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A80A324886980C06!150960

Last edited:
Actually, the new exe expects DHProvED.xml to define IDmap and colorscales a little bit differently (there's more freedom in file naming conventions) and the xml file included with the latest exe reflects that. Still, as I noted, you'll need id map for your custom map and color-to-id definitions.

I don't know how to get this to work, it keeps saying "Unhandled error exception" and doesn't load any of my map files. Here is the fourth line in the .xml file.

<ColorscalesMap>C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Darkest Hour A HOI Game\Mods\1984\map\Map_1\colorscales_</ColorscalesMap>

In the latest version you have to use wildcards ("*"), i.e.
<ColorscalesMap>C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Darkest Hour A HOI Game\Mods\1984\map\Map_1\colorscales_*</ColorscalesMap>

Do you think you could make the program show where city/fort/army/etc. are positioned, so you could make sure that you have added each position to every province? Of course it should be possible to tick it on and off.

Before going into all possible reasons (but I suppose it will be hard to guess what's wrong) do you have the necessary files for running the program (ID maps, and colorscales maps and csv definition files)?