• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
B

Brucesim2003

Hey guys, hop you'll pardon my ignorance. I'm playing my 1st game of V2 (with AHD). I have a CB on China to claim a substate region. But when I go to DoW them, Formosa isn't on the list. NONE of the places on the list include the Formosa provinces. So I gotta ask, What CB do I need to claim Formosa?

Edit for supplemental question: How the heck do I get out of the domestic straightjacket the politics seem to be in? I have 300k reactionary rebels in my country who revolt every 2-3 years, but the house wont let me do a darn thing. My so called absolute monarchy is hardly absolute when the monarch can't to anything. And what relevance does an upper house in game have in countries that don't actually have an upper house.

Cheers

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
Formosa isn't a substate region. It's directly part of Chinese Empire.

As for your politics: Even the Emperors of Russia couldn't act with complete disregard for what the aristocracy thought. Think of the upper house as representing the inclination of the rich and powerful in your country to actually care about your edicts.

So that means I can't get Formosa at all? The real life Chinese would have loved that in 1895! And as for not ignoring the aristocracy, one would think that an absolute monarchy could do as s/he want's, and if the aristocrats don't like it, let them form a rebel group. After all, some political reforms were led from above, not forced from below.

I'm just thinking that the Vic 1 politics were quite a bit more realistic.

Cheers

Bruce

To take Formosa, you need a "Demand Concession" CB.

To take Formosa, you need a "Demand Concession" CB.
Thankyou, that's what I needed to know.

Louis XVI. agrees ;P.
That's my whole point....He did whatever he wanted. No non-existent parliament stopped him. Now the end results I can understand....but the game seems to say that the upper classes have some magical "you can't do that" to a reforming gov't, while the lower class just have to keep revolting.

As I said, let the gov't do as it wants, and let the upper class revolt if they dont like it.

Cheers

Bruce

As I said, let the gov't do as it wants, and let the upper class revolt if they dont like it.
The upper class have better tools than revolts. A little "inheritance powder" here, a knife in the back there, ...

But the game isn't about the royal court, so this can be regarded as being swept under the same carpet as a bunch of other intricacies.

Well call it what you will, the "status quo" shouldn't have some magical ability to stop reforms until doomsday. I mean, society is in chaos, revolts every couple years etc, but the straightjacket of "NO REFORMS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" is just bunkum.

I think I'll go back to Ricky.

Cheers

Bruce

Well when you're a dictatorship then you control 100% of the Upper House, so you can (basically) do whatever you want within the ideology-line. Monarchies didn't all have the same ideology as dictatorships did... so it sort of makes sense why they don't make it ruling-party only, as historically there were many factions vying for control.