• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Phew, just had my laptop throw a tantrum "You computer is unable to come out of Hibernation! System restoring!" luckily it seems to be working, I would not be a happy bunny if it had broken (and what progress I have would have gone down the drain).

You could use dropbox, so in case your harddrive breaks down you still have all your files online.

Are you going to restrict CBs inside the Empire to prevent balkanizing the dioceses among the constantly warring vassals?

Are you going to restrict CBs inside the Empire to prevent balkanizing the dioceses among the constantly warring vassals?

Yeah, I'm going to try and make sure that you don't end up with a province in spain being controlled by the Vicar of Gaul or something strange. I'll be working out military mechanics, factions, ect. at a later date.

You could use dropbox, so in case your harddrive breaks down you still have all your files online.

Aye, I'll be using Google Drive.

I'll take a look soon and see if I can find anything useful at my school's databases.

Thanks very much.

May as well get the Roman military system out of the way, and then get onto the Celts (Irish, Picts and Britons) and how they're going to function.

Codex I.c

images

So how to model the Chaotic mess that was the late Empire's military system? By splitting them into four main groups.

I. Legions, the Comitatenses and the Pseudocomitatenses.

These will function as vassal Military units of a Vicar (yes that's not quite how it worked in real life, but stick with me). They will be under the Mercenary tab, but only their lord will be able to raise them (of course, the Emperor can just raise all of a vassal's troops and they will be raised anyway). They will be Rome's most effective units, and what's more, they cannot be hired by anyone outside of the Empire. They may also have a role in influencing politics (in the time established fashion of getting your Legion to "spontaneously" acclaim you Augustus. All in all they are pretty useful troops, and will have their own decision menu for their Lord and for the Emperor (establish a Legion, disband a Legion, ect.)

II. Limitanei, Laeti and Provincial troops.

These will fall under the Levy mechanics. The Limitanei will be represented by having special buildings along the frontiers that gives those regions extra troops. Otherwise they are whatever soldiers you can scrape together. Don't expect them to be able to accomplish much (they will be mostly light infantry). Any Barbarian nations you subjugate will come under these mechanics as well (such as Stilicho's use of defeated Goths in his army). Numbers will be artificially kept low through a "Decline of the Roman Empire" modifier, to represent the various plagues and other factors that kept the Roman Empire short on manpower (as well as the fact that the best were put into the Legions).

III. Foederati, Barbarian Allies.

These will probably be mercenary troops that the Romans can raise. They will not be particularly reliable, and may revolt if they are not paid or just fancy some of your land. The composition will depend in which group of barbarians they are. They will not be vassals.

IV. Scholae Palatinae, Personal Guards.

These will fall under the Retinue mechanics, and will be the personal guard of the Emperor or high ranking official. You can choose the expensive Scholae or the cheaper Bucellarii (which will be less effective in battle, but more numerous and affordable for Provincial Governors).

I think that's everything, if anyone has any other ideas, post them here.

Last edited:
I think the foederati should only be hireable by the two Roman empires.

I wanted to portray the fact that they would switch sides between the Romans and the Barbarian tribes they were fighting against, but I see your point.

I'll probably make them Roman only, and see how that works out (I need to make sure the Barbarians are able to go toe to toe with the Romans).

Will the vassals complaint if you did not disband the legions? The Roman army as a whole, even the Limitanei were full time professional troops.

To me, raising the Legions is akin to mobilising them and taking them away from their normal duties (being Garrisons or defending the borders) and locals didn't appreciate it when their local garrisons were taken away (just look at Britannia, if left for that exact reason).

I had them under the fourth section, but I'm not sure which section they would best come under. Perhaps Mercenaries.

Do you think you'll use the petty king mechanic coming with TOG to represent usurpers? Like when the Vicar of Gaul revolts he'll be the "Emperor" of Gaul or the Gallic Emperor. That might be kind of a cool way of titling would-be usurpers.

I'll have to wait until it comes out, and see how that mechanic actually works.

I was thinking along the lines of having four Imperial titles in existence, West, East, North and South. A reigning Western or Eastern Emperor can choose to recognise a usurper by decision, stopping the war if they accept, but losing the territory (for example, Constantine III being recognised by Honorius).

To me, raising the Legions is akin to mobilising them and taking them away from their normal duties (being Garrisons or defending the borders) and locals didn't appreciate it when their local garrisons were taken away (just look at Britannia, if left for that exact reason).

True, but the people did not have the means of making a huge deal about it because the local governors and generals do not own the legion. The legions is paid by the state as opposed to being owned by any feudal Lord.

True, but the people did not have the means of making a huge deal about it because the local governors and generals do not own the legion. The legions is paid by the state as opposed to being owned by any feudal Lord.

There won't be any repercussions to keeping the Legions raised (if I remember the mechanics correctly) but there will be if you keep non-legionary levies (Limitanei) raised. I don't want to give the Emperor control over every legion at the start, because that means that they will all be raised at Ravenna, rather than the area that they historically operated in (and is unbalanced).

Apart from the fact that the central government stopped paying troops directly around this era, and it was up to locals to take over that burden.

largh SoS 'anyan non 'oQqar, ngo' tej largh rur

But besides the obvious, any funny Latin phrases you need translated?

Nice, nice, nice)))

But one question, how you will do legions? Like mercs?

largh SoS 'anyan non 'oQqar, ngo' tej largh rur

But besides the obvious, any funny Latin phrases you need translated?

I might as I go along, but I'm leaving localisation till last.

Nice, nice, nice)))

But one question, how you will do legions? Like mercs?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...iquity-Mod&p=15491374&viewfull=1#post15491374

Are you a communist?

I have vague left-wing tendencies. Why?

Right, my exams are over, but as I'm still at university I don't have access to my desktop until July and so can't really do any serious modding (craptop modding isn't very efficient) until then.
I do, however, have plenty of time on my hands for research. As I mentioned before, I live close enough to London to visit the BL for more detailed research, but my university has quite sizeable collection itself, so I'll be doing primary research in its library.

What I'll need to know though is what area you'd like me to focus on in great detail? I'll try and find records of individuals when I take my trip to the British library, but I also have plenty time to do something while I'm stuck at my university in the middle of nowhere (Royal Holloway is incredibly isolated by foot, if not train).
When I first requested to sign on I think you said you wanted someone to focus on religion? If so I can get to work acquiring some detailed notes so we can have realistic events/rituals and spiritual relations.

Great news! My own exams are continuing for a few weeks, but I do have a 2 week break at the moment.

In terms of research, it's areas that cannot be easily found, such as Persia, Germany and Provincial Roman areas. For instance, I have no idea how the Sassanid Empire was organised, and neither do the internet sites I've been trawling though. Even if it's a map of Satrapies of the Parthian Empire, or a list of famous Sassanid families it would be great to try and fill that area in. Germany is a bit better, in that I'm able to find out vaguely who was where and how they were organised, but still more historical characters would be brilliant. In terms of the Roman provinces, I want to try and find out which families owned a lot of land in the provinces and Italy, or who was a provincial governor in the time period between 390-410, so that people are able to play as counts and dukes from the get go, and not have to get randomly generated ones. I've given up on Eastern Europe (for now), there will be no provinces to the east of where Germanic Culture was dominant during the time period (around Poland area). It's impossible to get very much around the years 600-700CE, never mind 400CE. Scandinavia is a bit better, and I may be able to have modern Sweden and Norway included.

I haven't done anything in terms of Religion, so you're welcome to it if you want to focus on that. My map modding is going to be delayed while the SWMH team updates their map for TOGs DLC.