• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, this looks great!

If you're looking for some good books on the later Roman Empire and Successor States, I would recommend the New Cambridge History Series; The Cambridge Ancient History Volume 13: The Late Empire, AD 337–425, The Cambridge Ancient History Volume 14: Late Antiquity: Empire and Successors, AD 425–600, and The New Cambridge Medieval History Volume 1: c.500–c.700

Also, I have very limited modding capabilities, but I will offer my help on this project. Smaller things like character/titular Histories would be the main thing I could do.

I have access to a lot of historical sources using my University's databases, so I can help with research too.

That looks like an interesting book series....Where can I find it to read?

That looks like an interesting book series....Where can I find it to read?

They're about £133 - £153 a pop, so I'd imagine that you'd have to go to a large Library or University Library to get one.

BTW Le Chivalry and nitroholic, what titles do you want :p .

Join the Steam Group chaps, and we can organise who wants to research what (it's better that people go for their interests, keeps the motivation for work up :laugh:).

Just joined.

BTW Le Chivalry and nitroholic, what titles do you want :p .

I think i'll go with Pontifex Maximus :cool:

I'm also going to have to make a list of mods that I'll see if I can get permission to integrate, VIET for example, perhaps the ubiquitous SWMH, the faction system from CK2+, there are endless amounts of features that could be used.

The faction system could be really good, with perhaps an Oligarchic / Aristocratic / Senatorial (although I would probably move the start date to before Theodosius if I want the Senate to have any impact) Faction, Military Faction, Imperial Loyalist Faction, ect.

Wiz, the author of CK+, recently announced he is done with modding with CK II now that he works for Paradox. He granted permission for his work - or any piece of it - to be used by anyone who wishes.

All ideas are good, keep them coming!

I think that the Old Gods DLC will really help this mod, with raiding, horde mechanics and so on, I also think it adds some new invasion style CBs so I'll have to wait for that.

I'm also going to have to make a list of mods that I'll see if I can get permission to integrate, VIET for example, perhaps the ubiquitous SWMH, the faction system from CK2+, there are endless amounts of features that could be used.

The faction system could be really good, with perhaps an Oligarchic / Aristocratic / Senatorial (although I would probably move the start date to before Theodosius if I want the Senate to have any impact) Faction, Military Faction, Imperial Loyalist Faction, ect.

Feel free to take whatever you need from VIET (credit appreciated, of course), though if you don't mind please tell me what you're thinking of taking from VIET - depending on what it is I might be able to help give you some info to help you out or whatever. Alternatively, if it suits you, once you release a playable version of the mod, I can try to make compatches for various VIET modules.

I'm having a Cambridge Medieval History I (C.500-c.700) by my side right now, and I'm pretty disappointed. There is no settlement map of the uncharted world. Character could be easily made up, but settlement/province name is quiet hard to find.

Last edited:
I'm having a Cambidge Medieval History I (C.500-c.700) by my side right now, and I'm pretty disappointed. There is no settlement map of the uncharted world. Character could be easily made up, but settlement/province name is quiet hard to find.

It may not have an extensive selection of maps, but I think it is a very informative read; goes in-depth in Early-Medieval society, politics, and economics.

For Rome, Haggis has already provided a good set of maps

Finally got a series of Maps I'm happy with using.

romana395ad.jpg

romandioceses395s.jpg

romana395.jpg

Or were you looking for a settlement map of non-roman lands?

It may not have an extensive selection of maps, but I think it is a very informative read; goes in-depth in Early-Medieval society, politics, and economics.

For Rome, Haggis has already provided a good set of maps

Or were you looking for a settlement map of non-roman lands?

I'm looking for settlement map of non-Roman Europe. I can't find any till now.

Information for east and central Europe of Pre-migration period is really scare.

Few days ago I started working with a mod that would start in 476 AD and end in 876 AD.

Perhaps we could cooperate?

Few days ago I started working with a mod that would start in 476 AD and end in 876 AD.

Perhaps we could cooperate?

Absolutely! That's one of my goals, to try and get it to stretch up until the start of the Old Gods DLC.

As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier, that's the problem that most of these late antiquity mods have had, it's too big a job for one person.

Try http://worldhistorymaps.info/maps.html It's not perfect but I find them to be quite a good guide.

I think I saw another map with all of the roman city and town names on it, I'll take a look for it.

Feel free to take whatever you need from VIET (credit appreciated, of course), though if you don't mind please tell me what you're thinking of taking from VIET - depending on what it is I might be able to help give you some info to help you out or whatever. Alternatively, if it suits you, once you release a playable version of the mod, I can try to make compatches for various VIET modules.

Cheers cybrxkhan, that would be great. I think the second option may be better, to have it in a more modular format (so that people who don't want features don't have to include them).

Codex I.a

Solidus_Honorius_402_76001657.jpg

Honorius was an attractive chap wasn't he? :p

The policy of the emperors and the senate, as far as it concerned religion, was happily seconded by the reflections of the enlightened, and by the habits of the superstitious, part of their subjects. The various modes of worship, which prevailed in the Roman world, were all considered by the people, as equally true; by the philosopher, as equally false; and by the magistrate, as equally useful. And thus toleration produced not only mutual indulgence, but even religious concord.
The superstition of the people was not embittered by any mixture of theological rancour; nor was it confined by the chains of any speculative system. The devout polytheist, though fondly attached to his national rites, admitted with implicit faith the different religions of the earth. Fear, gratitude, and curiosity, a dream or an omen, a singular disorder, or a distant journey, perpetually disposed him to multiply the articles of his belief, and to enlarge the list of his protectors. The thin texture of the Pagan mythology was interwoven with various but not discordant materials.

-Edward Gibbon

(I'm going to try and order information about the mod into codexes, in order to keep track of what's going to be changed, of course nothing is set in stone, and it's all up for discussion and change).

Roman Religion and Culture

My intention for twofold, I want to accurately represent the historical differences at the time, but I also want to have a system whereby this can change (after all this is the time of great germanic and steppe migrations), by a fluid process. Melting pot events are a bedrock of how cultures will change over time (Angles, Jutes and Saxons into Anglo-Saxons for instance).

Roman Culture will consist of a Latin Group, and various Roman cultures based upon geographical area. So Romans in Britain will be Romano-Britons, ect. A single Roman culture would have meant that the Melting pot events could have had some very unintended consequences.

My intention at the moment is to have a large number of historical and possible cultural synthesis possible. For instance Germanic Franks who settle in Gaul (Culture Gallo-Roman) will, over time, change the culture to Latin Franks. Same goes for the Lombards (Italy) and Goths (Spain). However say the Vandals were to stay in Hispania, then they'll be able to change to a new culture too, it won't be completely historically deterministic.

Now Religion. Paganism is not in a good state by the death of Theodosius, it's political capital is at an all-time low and outside rural areas and the Senatorial elites, it's a dying religion. Now, this is where the Old Gods DLC could be great. You could try to be another Julian the Apostate and bring paganism back to prominence by reforming it (which is one of the abilities of the DLC).

Christianity, on the other hand, is on the rise. It's got a strong power structure in the Pentarchy and good organisation in the Church Apparatus. However it's also starting to have trouble with heresies ( Arianism, ect.), and needs Imperial support to stay afloat. For instance, Britain's Christian population were almost entirely Pelagian at this point (an interesting synthesis of traditional Druidism and Christianity).

There will be a selection of smaller groups who never fully joined with the Roman Pantheon (Manichaeism is a good example for this). However mystery cults will be included within the Roman Pagan Pantheon, for the most part they ended up part of mainstream Roman Paganism (and for gameplay reasons, I don't really want a Mythra crusade for Britannia going on, that's what Lux is for).

Thankfully I have a Series of lectures on tape called "Fall of the Pagans and the Origins of Medieval Christianity" which is very helpful on this subject, so I should be able to do it justice.

Last edited:
incidentally, would you be interested in applying Lux Invicta-esque cultural modifiers? You know, like Romans getting a (base) tax income bonus (the modifier probably gets replaced over time with certain conditions being met...) and infantry morale bonus but reinforcement-time/build-cost maluses for example? Of course, I'll leave the research of how best to represent them to you (I mean, some of LI's modifiers could be copied, but...)

as for religions, SELIN pretty much towers over anything :laugh:
some of Numahr's relevant previewed religion icons could be borrowed (once/if he shows up again) incidentally....

I won't say more as I'll be getting ahead of myself all over again

on a side note, who listens to lectures on tape? I never understood the appeal of podcasts and the like :laugh:

I was thinking about that, I'm not sure I want to give certain religions such a hard coded advantage over each other, I can definitely see your point about Cultural Modifiers (after all the Roman Empire was very culturally different to the Sassanids or Germans).

I just don't know, and might just put it up for a vote when I get around to modding religions.

Edit; I've just got permission from Woody to use what we need from De Excidio.

Last edited:
Progress is actually going better than I thought, I've actually got a working model (no titles above county ATM), so that's my next job I imagine, plus renaming each county / Barony into it's classical version. Oh Joy.

On the topic of Titles, since I'm doing the map first, do people agree with my current setup (for the Roman Empires), of Counties being run by a Comes, Duchies being Provinces (I'm not sure what I'll localise Duke to ATM, might do it on a case by case basis, or just Dux), and Kingdoms becoming Dioceses (which will be Agnatic Open Elective, similar to the Mare Nostra system, but more on that later)? I'd thought about the Praetorian Prefectures being Kingdoms, Dioceses being Duchy level, and Counties being run by either Duxes or Comes, but that would make Prefectures absolutely enormous (bigger than 2 Empire level titles in Vannila), and Duchies would be as big as Vanilla Kingdoms.

For Rome, I'm currently undecided as to whether to have a singular "Roman Culture" under the Latin Group, or a series of Roman Cultures (such as "Romano-British", "Gallo-Roman", "Romano-Iberian" ect.) under either the Latin or a new "Romance" Group. The first would be good for simplicity, and would represent the fact that local cultures had bought into the Roman identity. On the other hand having local spinoff cultures would be good, for variety, for historical accuracy (there does still seem to be a certain snobbery based upon geographical origins, despite the fact that most Emperors are not from Italia any longer), and to allow for a melting pot style of event. For instance, German + Gallo-Roman = Frankish, German + Romano-Iberian = Spanish (although Catalans and Basques could split off from this based upon the event that the Devs have for the Norse becoming Danish, Swedish, ect.).

Personally I'm in favour of the second type, but I could be convinced by the first I suppose.

I can't offer any suggestions on actual implementation, but I agree that the second idea sounds superior.

Now Religion. Paganism is not in a good state by the death of Theodosius, it's political capital is at an all-time low and outside rural areas and the Senatorial elites, it's a dying religion. Now, this is where the Old Gods DLC could be great. You could try another Julian the Apostate and bring paganism back to prominence by reforming it (which is one of the abilities of the DLC). Christianity, on the other hand, is on the rise. It's got a strong power structure in the Pentarchy and good organisation in the Church Apparatus. However it's also starting to have trouble with heresies ( Arianism, ect.), and needs Imperial support to stay afloat.

I'm unsure about what to do about the smaller Religions, I don't want to end up with a map a patchwork of cults (Lux Invicta already does this better than I could), but it would be nice to have some variety.

Thankfully I have a Series of lectures on tape called "Fall of the Pagans and the Origins of Medieval Christianity" which is very helpful here.

Christianity was definitely not that unified in this period. You've got a large number of Germanic rulers who are Arian, Donatists in N.Africa, and Monophysites and Nestorians in the East.

Further, many of these early divergent views were not officially heresies yet.

Maybe there could be some mechanic revolving around calling church councils to try and craft a strong and unified christian doctrine?

I feel like a kidding pointing candy to his daddy, but would you consider asking permission to incorporate Solo_Adhémar's work on the interface, as currently integrated in the Prince and the Thane?

I feel like a kidding pointing candy to his daddy, but would you consider asking permission to incorporate Solo_Adhémar's work on the interface, as currently integrated in the Prince and the Thane?

Sure, I'll also ask for SWMH while I'm at it, since it seems to work very well in my tests.