Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 25 - Anna Karenina

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Conc. the flags shown in the Paradox Development Studio Feature - Europa Universalis IV - Part 1.

I would really like if the Swedish flag was replaced with the "blå-gula flaggan" (the Scandinavian cross), instead of the "Tre-Kronor flaggan", which I think resembles the French "Fleur-de-Lis" flag to much.

I always mod the Swedish flag into the "blå-gula flaggan" and the Russian flag into the "white-blue-red tri-color".

Now before you ask! NO you cannot both offer and demand something.
A shame, would have been the icing on the cake.

Apart from that though, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Being able to cede provinces to other nations without having to use console commands is something I've been hoping for for a long time - Hopefully we'll get something similar in Hoi4.

But yea this looks great :)

Conc. the flags shown in the Paradox Development Studio Feature - Europa Universalis IV - Part 1.

I would really like if the Swedish flag was replaced with the "blå-gula flaggan" (the Scandinavian cross), instead of the "Tre-Kronor flaggan", which I think resembles the French "Fleur-de-Lis" flag to much.

I always mod the Swedish flag into the "blå-gula flaggan" and the Russian flag into the "white-blue-red tri-color".

First of all the Swedish flag doesn't exist at the start of game, secondly the only thing similar with three crowns and fleur-de-lis is the colours.

Edit: and the 3-point shape I guess, though I thought they would use the one with multiple fleur-de-lis.

Last edited:
First of all the Swedish flag doesn't exist at the start of game, secondly the only thing similar with three crowns and fleur-de-lis is the colours.

The flower/crowns themselves are of a similar color as well, plus they are arranged in the same pattern. It is not hard to confuse the two in a casual glance. I did so, just now, before actually looking at the map.

That said, this is a fairly minor problem and I doubt it influence much. I doubt there is need to change anything.

One of the most interesting is you can ask for a core province of a third country that might not even be involved in the war to be transferred to them. This way you can weaken a country without having to take worthless indefensible province for yourself. You can, effectively, partition a neighbor that has been giving you trouble and build up credit with other states nearby.
Will AI be using this feature? If so, this can prove to be problematic, as we not always want to get our core province - it may be also a core of a major power, which would happily attack us, especially if we are a minor nation. Also, AI could easily destroy our "pretty borders" by "generously" giving us their's enemy's provinces (on which we got cores by e.g. border dispute event or we purposely lost them earlier in a previous war/abandoned/sold them to have better borders).

If AI will be capable of doing this, maybe add an option to refuse to accept a province? Or just make it that AI won't use this peace option to give provinces to player.

I hope adding money to demands will be more easy task than in EU3.
Cause asking for 5000 ducats clicking 200 times on plus is not a proper time spending. ;)

Nice DD, though I especially liked the two highlights of the stream. :)

One question about trade nodes though, to be specific a Low Countries specific one, will the shift from Antwerp to Amsterdam be applied in game? Of course that shouldn't be railroaded either, but it might be applied at later game starts though and/or after specific conditions are met, it could be optional.

Last edited:
Will AI be using this feature? If so, this can prove to be problematic, as we not always want to get our core province - it may be also a core of a major power, which would happily attack us, especially if we are a minor nation. Also, AI could easily destroy our "pretty borders" by "generously" giving us their's enemy's provinces (on which we got cores by e.g. border dispute event or we purposely lost them earlier in a previous war/abandoned/sold them to have better borders).

If AI will be capable of doing this, maybe add an option to refuse to accept a province? Or just make it that AI won't use this peace option to give provinces to player.

In this case you can simply sell the province to the highest bidder.

The DD title "Anna Karenina" made me think the diary would focus on culture-based alliance or something, since the novel deals with pan-Slavism and Russo-Serbian cooperation. Having read the diary, I don't see the connection.

Transferring cores is the best news I read in this diary! It is especially effective in March of the Eagles, so I'm glad to see it in EU4 :D .

In this case you can simply sell the province to the highest bidder.
Yes, unless you are at war. And even if you're lucky enough to be at peace at the moment, it can be tedious to get the same province and sell it every few years.

EDIT: Do you lose core on selling a province? If yes, what I described isn't really a problem then.

Edit: and the 3-point shape I guess, though I thought they would use the one with multiple fleur-de-lis.

The Tre-Kroner banner was never established as the flag of Sweden. A flag with blue and yellow stripes was used untill the rebellion against Christian II (Tyrant) of Denmark in 1521. But for most of this game's timeline 1523-1821 the Swedish flag was the "Blå-Gula Scandinavian Cross" variant of the Danish red and white "Dannebrog".

Taken from Wickipedia: According to the mythology, the 12th-century Swedish king Eric the Holy saw a golden cross in the sky as he landed in Finland during the First Swedish Crusade in 1157. Seeing this as a sign from God he adopted the golden cross against a blue background as his banner, though the golden cross was changed later to a yellow cross due to practicality. The problem with the mythology is partly the fact that there are no contemporary sources about the crusade and partly because there are no pictures or descriptions of the flag until the middle of the 16th century.

According to the Flags of the World website at http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/se-3kron.html
There are some references to the three crowns as the Swedish 'national banner' (Swedish: riksbanér). In the chronicle Ernst von Kirchberg started writing in 1378, the Reimchronik, King Albrecht is depicted with a pennant like banner that is dark blue and charged with three golden crowns [nev93, pp 44-45]. However, as far as I can see, this did not become established as the flag of Sweden. Rather, a blue and yellow flag, gradually came to represent both the king and country. This was at first striped alternating blue and yellow, later it became a cross flag patterned after the Danish flag. This cross flag Sweden became the sign of the Swedish state under the reign of Gustavus Adolphus (1594-1632) [abe74, pp 13-23].
Jan Oskar Engene, 13 June 1996

Last edited: