Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 25 - Anna Karenina

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks great two questions:

- Will releasing a core to a third state be similar how it works in MotE (e.g. you will release an existing state in the peace deal giving all the provinces to that state) or can you select which province will go to the third state.
- In EU3 if you're the war leader and you decided to give a province to an ally in war you'd end up paying the infamy price. While infamy no longer exists there is aggressive expansion penalty. So will the war leader pay the aggressive expansion penalty even when he gives provinces to an ally in the war?

These are great examples of creative and pefectly implemented game mechanism ideas that can only be born over a beer or two at a Stockholm pub. :)

This is as somebody here pointed out: Evolution towards perfection.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see a ticking warscore. Hopefully that will be enough so that the locals can retake places like Calais, Muscat, Algeirs, etc without having to beat the foreign occupier's navy.

Definitely a solid improvement from EU3.
Need a few clarifications though:
1) How many wargoals can one have in a single war? Looks like 1 from DD but not quite sure.
2) Can every participant of a war add their wargoals in the war?
3) Scenario question: France fought a war with England by reconquest wargoal. France won in land but England won at sea. Result: France captured all reachable continental English provinces (Normandy and Aquitaine), but unable to invade England proper. Can France force a peace that allows them to keep those English provinces? If not, how high can France's warscore be in that case?

Great DD. It includes everything i hoped to see and no bad surprises.

How are negociations handled in wars with multiple parties? Can only warleaders negociate or can you pursue separate peaces with everyone you're fighting?

I assume given the conspicuous addition of the DIP MPP cost to the winner of a war for the peace treaty, that the latter could be entirely feasible.

I have one question. If you're losing a war (let's say you're at -35) and you recieve a peace proposal asking for 30, i.e. less than the warscore, would there be penalties if you don't accept the deal? Something like low moral, high rebel risk, etc.? Something to push you to accept the deal or face the consequences.

Definitely a solid improvement from EU3.
Need a few clarifications though:
1) How many wargoals can one have in a single war? Looks like 1 from DD but not quite sure.
2) Can every participant of a war add their wargoals in the war?
3) Scenario question: France fought a war with England by reconquest wargoal. France won in land but England won at sea. Result: France captured all reachable continental English provinces (Normandy and Aquitaine), but unable to invade England proper. Can France force a peace that allows them to keep those English provinces? If not, how high can France's warscore be in that case?

4) Will not following the war goal and demanding more, or something else, in a peace deal make the war winner risk extra relation penalties to rivals and neighbours? Would be nice.

One of the most interesting is you can ask for a core province of a third country that might not even be involved in the war to be transferred to them. This way you can weaken a country without having to take worthless indefensible province for yourself. You can, effectively, partition a neighbor that has been giving you trouble and build up credit with other states nearby.

yesyesyes :)

Hopefully you will risk to anger your neighbours and rivals extra much by taking more in a peace.
It would be very ungentlemen like indeed, so a big relation penalty with surrounding countries seems likely.

I really liked the CKII war score system, it makes sense that if I for instance as Sweden blockade Öresund and occupy Scania for long enough it shouldn't really matter if the Danes find my terms unacceptable if I in effect are controlling those provinces and they are unable to recapture them. So I'm very happy to see this implemented into EUIV, though I expected nothing less!

I'm disappointed to see no change forcing the War leader to include goodies for his allies in deal. And of course I'm skeptical about the AI's ability to handle this.

What does Anna Karenina have to do with this? War and Peace is of course more fitting. :)

I think that's the point.

Actually, speaking of the map. Where the hell is Russia? Did Rzeczpospolita gobble it up during the Time of Troubles and managed not to lose it? Then it is too small and should propagate further on the east, I think.

On the topic of actual DD. I find it a weak limitation those 8 relation penalty for 2 provinces. I could eat the whole France with no CB before someone who found me a fine chap (say +50 for religion/diplomacy/etc) starts to mildly dislike me (no lower then -30 and it decays over time).
Unless every point amounts actually to more relation penalty, which would be very counterintuitive.

Last edited: