• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will you release the downloadable landed_titles.txt soon? I'm eager to add it into my game and when I paste the localized names in, the game crashes.

Hi Fargoniac,

I didn't intended to release a mod before The Old Gods, but this is what you should do if you want to try--I give the whole procedure, even if some may seems to be adressed to newbies:

1) Make a copy of your landed_titles.txt and store it wherever you want--for example calling it landed_titles_vanilla.txt, on your dekstop.

2) Within the original landed_titles.txt which is within your folder \common\Crusader Kings II\common\landed_titles, you may copy and paste all the informations I gave for each empire/kingdom/duchy

3) BUT this doesn't work without a little more piece of work:
- these lines beginning with a '#' are not taken into account by the game, so no need to worry with these;
- however, you should check all lines having such a code: italian = "". This means you won't have any name if an Italian ruler does possess this territory. So, just use CTRL+F to find them, and erase these lines.
- the problem is the same with these '*' bookmarks I use and which may create problems: just check is there isn't any matter with it.
So, taking an example: when using CTRL+F you'll find under c_holland this line: norman= "". Just erase it.

4) Theoretically, this file should work. However, there may be some problems with these signs (don't know the name): '{'and '}'. One opening sign does absolutely need a closing sign. You also must take care that what you copy within you landed_titles.txt is exactly what's waiting the game engine: from the definition of the title. I inserted for each title the whole informations, from the deinfition of the title (ex. 'c_holland') to the first line of the next territory (for the same example 'b_haarlem ={'). However, I may have done errors, e.g. forgetting the first line of the next territory, so be sure that all is correctly in place.

I didn't tried the file so far, and am currently working on all character names--intercultural links and so on--so I guess I won't have time to look about it before a few days. However I think that within a few days time I'll be able to post the corrected names and links for 31 of the 54 cultures currently in game, then I will have time to look if all works correctly. But don't hesitate to say me if there's a problem, then I'll look and try to find if there's problems.

And, just for teasing, these are a few examples of these cultural names that will be linked:
- norman Turquetil linked to these North Germanic Torkel/Torgil/Torgils;
- quite a lot of Saxon names linked to germanic names: German Ekbert = Saxon Ecgbeorht = Dutch Ekbert; Saxon Ælle = Norwegian Åle; Danish Uffe = Saxon Offa; German Ulrich = Saxon Æðelríc; Swedish Asbjörn = Danish Esben = Norman Osbern; Saxon Ósulf = Norman Osulf;
- nothink did link towards a Adrian, so I created the link for Dutch Adriaen = Frankish Adrien = Italian Adriano = Greek Adríanos; the same for Greek Arsénios = Armenian Arsen = Italian Arsenio;
- Italian Guarnito = Italian Guerrino;
- for Slavic names, I also created a link between these Bohemian Budivoj and Polish Budziwuj;
- created a link between these German Markward = Dutch Marquart = Bohemian Markvart;
and so on. Ah, yes, another surprising link--last one, however, I've got to finish my Polish names before going to bed: Norwegian Audun = Saxon Eadwine = Dutch Otwin = Occitan Audoïn = Breton Ewen. None of these was linked... So, quite a lot of work, and I didn't dare to look a lot at all these Gaelic names, so much frigthening with these false--but historically true--links like Áed(án) = Hugh...

Just checked: 490 links added so far, not comprising Arabic, Finno-Ugric, Baltic, Altaic South-Slavic, Iranian names... And that's only for male names!

It crashes at the first loading screen after the Paradox Interactive one.

Ok. So that's clearly a problem with the landed_titles.txt.
I hope I'll have time to check tomorrow with my own file, and say you in the evening.

I remember when I had done a lot of work on British Isles, two or three months ago. I had to add all names very progressively and launch the game each time, kingdom after kingdom. But this permitted me to finally determine the kingdom, then the duchy, then the county where the problem was. A missing '}', if I remember correctly...

- for Slavic names, I also created a link between these Bohemian Budivoj and Polish Budziwuj;

WRONG!! Budzi-woj {woj/wój -> soldier} isn't the same name as Budzi-wuj {wuj -> uncle}. And there are few tricky of those if you know nothing about it.

You know what, let me check your work before you're going to publish it... Names are my hobby, especially Slavic and Hungarian, and I do always edit and link names in various CK2 mods.

I was already thinking about creating a topic for names, and some sort of a micro-mod of 'cultures' file...

WRONG!! Budzi-woj {woj/wój -> soldier} isn't the same name as Budzi-wuj {wuj -> uncle}. And there are few tricky of those if you know nothing about it.

You know what, let me check your work before you're going to publish it... Names are my hobby, especially Slavic and Hungarian, and I do always edit and link names in various CK2 mods.

I was already thinking about creating a topic for names, and some sort of a micro-mod of 'cultures' file...

OK, I'll change it tomorrow. But the Slavic regions are quite a mess within the file.
I'm currently working on Bulgarian names, and there's much more Croatian than Bulgarian within it. As for Romanian names, I don't believe Romanian people are crazy enough to call their boys Tepes... :D

However, I guess I'll post everything when Bulgarian and Hungarian names will be finished, because that would be a crazy thing to add little by little because of all these links. This will cause lot of comments I believe, but I think this is the best way.

And I couldn't count all these Slavic names whose Google researches leaded directly to CK2 forum pages... Quite suprizingly, Georgian and Armenian names were much easier than those from Eastern Europe!

And what about this Wańko? This seems to be quite a realistic name, even if I don't know anything about Mediaeval Polish names...

P.S. : Cormac, I well received your PM. I intend to send back to you as soon as I finished. All these Celtic names seems to be such a mess, once again!

I'm currently working on Bulgarian names, and there's much more Croatian than Bulgarian within it. As for Romanian names, I don't believe Romanian people are crazy enough to call their boys Tepes... :D
Bulgarians are a real mess, all what left from "southslavic" culture in CK1, but I couldn't figure which ones are historically used in that region and which not. And Romanian Tepes.... why not? ;)

And what about this Wańko? This seems to be quite a realistic name, even if I don't know anything about Mediaeval Polish names...
Wańko must be somewhat connected with Wacław probably (Venceslas), maybe it was derivated from other, foreign form of that name. Similar forms of names appear in German... Still, it's hard to figure it out, currently no one uses it other way than as surname.

Swedish male names (00_cultures.txt\north_germanic\swedish)

First of a long list: all Swedish male names. Need a good reviewing by somebody knowing more than me about Swedish names, evidently!

Code:
	swedish = {
		graphical_culture = norsegfx

color = { 0.25 0.5 0.75 }

male_names = {
			Albrikt_Albert Alf_Alf Algot Anders_Andrew Anund Arnbjörn Arne_Arne Arnfast Asbjörn_Osborne Astrad Azur Bagge Bengt_Benedict Bertil_Bert Birger Björn_Beorn Bo_Bo Borkvard Botulf_Botwulf Bror 
			Brynjolf Dag Dan_Daniel Dyre Egil_Eigil Emund_Edmund Erik_Eric Eskild Faste Fredrik_Frederick Filip_Philip Folke_Fulk Georg_George Greger_Gregory Gustav Håkan_Hakon Halsten 
			Henrik_Henry Holmger_Holger Inge_Inge Ingemar Ingvar_Ingvar Jedvard_Edward Johan_John Karl_Charles Kettil Kettilmund Klas_Nicholas Knut_Knut Kol Kolbjörn Magnus_Magnus Markus_Mark 
			Mats_Matthew Nils_Nicholas Niklas_Nicholas Olaf_Olaf Peder_Peter Rörek_Rurik Ragnvald_Reginald Sämund Sörkver Sigbjörn Sigtrygg_Sigtrygg Sigurd_Sigurd Sten_Sten Stenkil Styrbjörn Sune Sven_Sven
			Sverker Tjudmund Toke_Torkel Tolir Torbjörn_Torbjorn Torkel_Torkel Toste Totil Tyke_Torkel Ulf_Ulf Valdemar_Vladimir Åke Öystein_Eysteinn
		}
		female_names = {

Norwegian male names (00_cultures.txt\north_germanic\norwegian)

Code:
	norwegian = {

color = { 0.2 0.45 0.65 }

male_names = {
			Åle_Alle Åmund_Egmund Ølver Alv_Alf Arne_Arne Arnfinn Arnkjell Arnmod Arnvid Aslak Audun_Edwin Bård Bjørn_Beorn Eigil_Eigil Eilif Einar_Einar Eirik_Eric Erlend Erling Eystein_Eysteinn Finn
			Grim Gudbrand Gudleik Gudmund Gudrød_Godfrey Gunnar_Gunnar Guttorm Håkon_Hakon Håvard Haldor Halfdan_Halfdan Halkjell Harald_Harold Helge_Helge Inge_Inge Ivar_Ingvar Jon_John Kåre Kolbein Lodin
			Magnus_Magnus Ogmund_Egmund Olav_Olaf Orm Ossor Ottar Pål_Paul Ragnvald_Reginald Sigurd_Sigurd Skjalg Skofte Skule Svein_Sven Sverre Torbjørn_Torbjorn Tore_Tore Torfinn_Torfinn Torgeir Torgil_Torkel
			Tormod Torstein_Torstein Trond Tryggve Ulv_Ulf Vigleik Øystein_Eysteinn
		}
		female_names = {

Danish male names (00_cultures.txt\north_germanic\danish)

Code:
	danish = {

color = { 0.15 0.4 0.55 }

male_names = {
			Abel_Abel Anders_Andrew Asger_Oscar Benedikt_Benedict Bjørn_Beorn Bo_Bo Christian_Christian Christoffer_Christopher Edvard_Edward Einar_Einar Erik_Eric Ernst_Ernest Esben_Osborne Fredrik_Frederick Frode Glum Gnupa Gorm Gotfred_Godfrey Gregers_Gregory Gunnar_Gunnar
			Hårik_Eric Halfdan_Halfdan Halvor Hans_John Harald_Harold Hardeknut Helge_Helge Hemming Henrik_Henry Hjalmar_Hjalmar Holger_Holger Inge_Inge Ingolf Jørgen_George Jørn_George Jakob_Jacob Jens_John Joakim Johann_John Karl_Charles Knud_Knut
			Kristian_Christian Leif Lennart_Leonard Ludvig_Louis Malthe Mads_Matthew Mikkel_Michael Mogens_Magnus Niels_Nicholas Olav_Olaf Oluf_Olaf Peder_Peter Poul_Paul Pridbjørn Rolf_Ralph Rune Severin_Severin Sigfred_Sigfried Sigtryg_Sigtrygg Sivard_Siward Steen_Sten
			Svend_Sven Thorvald_Torvald Torben_Torbjorn Torbjørn_Torbjorn Torgils_Torkel Ture_Tore Ubbe Uffe_Ulf Ulf_Ulf Valdemar_Vladimir Valentin_Valentin Vilfred_Wilfred Yngvar_Ingvar
		}
		female_names = {

Last edited:
German male names (00_cultures.txt\central_germanic\german)

Code:
	german = {
		graphical_culture = germangfx

color = { 0.5 0.5 0.5 }

male_names = {
			Adalbert_Albert Adam_Adam Adolf_Adolf Albrecht_Albert Almerich_Amalric Amadeus_Amadeus Andreas_Andrew Anselm_Anselm Arnold_Arnold Arnulf_Arnulf Augustin_August 
			Baldemar Baldewin_Baldwin Berengar_Berengar Bernhard_Bernard Berthold_Berchtold Bruno_Bruno Burchard_Burchard Caspar_Casper Christopher_Christopher
			Diether Dietmar_Dietmar Dietpold Dietrich_Thierry Dietwin Eberhard_Eberhard Eckhard_Egbert Ehrenfried Eginolf Ekbert Emelrich_Aymeric Emich
			Engelbrecht_Engelbert Erich_Eric Ernst_Ernest Ezzo Folkhard Folkmar Franz_Francis Friedrich_Frederick Gebhard_Gebhard Georg_George
			Gerhard_Gerard Gerlach Giselbert_Gilbert Gottfried_Godfrey Gotthard Gottschalk_Gottschalk Gotzelo Guntram Günzel Hartmann Hartwig 
			Heinrich_Henry Herbert_Herbert Hermann_Herman Hesso Hugo_Hugh Humbert_Humbert Jakob_Jacob Johann_John Karl_Charles Karlmann
			Konrad_Conrad Kuno_Conrad Lambert_Lambert Leopold_Leopold Lothar_Lothair Ludolf Ludwig_Louis Luitpold_Leopold Lutbert_Lutbert Magnus_Magnus
			Manfred_Manfred Markward_Markward Martin_Martin Mathias_Matthew Meinhard Michael_Michael Nikolaus_Nicholas Norbert Ordulf_Ordulf Otto_Otto
			Peter_Peter Philipp_Philip Poppo Rudger_Roger Reinhard_Reinhard Rudolf_Rudolph Ruprecht_Robert Siegfried_Sigfried Sieghard Siegmund_Sigmund
			Simon_Simon Stefan_Stephen Theodorich_Thierry Thietmar_Dietmar Thomas_Thomas Udo_Otto Ulrich_Ulrich Viktor_Victor Waldemar_Vladimir Walram_Waleran
			Walther_Walter Welf Wenzel_Vaclav Werner Widukind Wigerich Wilhelm_William Wolfgang Wolfram
		}
		female_names = {

Last edited:
English male names (00_cultures.txt\west_germanic\english)

Code:
	english = {
		graphical_culture = englishgfx

color = { 0.8 0.2 0.2 }

# Does not exist in 1066 - is the result of cultural amalgamation between Saxon and Norman through events
		male_names = {
			Adam_Adam Alan_Alan Albert_Albert Alexander_Alexander Alfred_Alfred Andrew_Andrew Anselm_Anselm Arnold_Arnold Arthur_Arthur Aubrey_Alberic Christopher_Christopher David_David Edmund_Edmund Edward_Edward Eric_Eric Eustace_Eustace Fulk_Fulk Geoffrey_Godfrey George_George Gerald_Gerald Gilbert_Gilbert
			Godfrey_Godfrey Gregory_Gregory Guy_Guy Henry_Henry Hugh_Hugh Humphrey_Humphrey Jocelyn_Jocelyn John_John Jordan_Jordan Laurence_Laurence Lionel_Lionel Mark_Mark Martin_Martin Matthew_Matthew Maurice_maurice Michael_Michael Nicholas_Nicholas Paul_Paul Peter_Peter Philip_Philip
			Ralph_Ralph Randolph_Ralph Reginald_Reginald Richard_Richard Robert_Robert Roger_Roger Simon_Simon Stephen_Stephen Theobald_Theobald Thomas_Thomas Waleran_Waleran Walter_Walter William_William
		}

Saxon male names (00_cultures.txt\west_germanic\saxon)

Code:
	saxon = {
		graphical_culture = saxongfx

color = { 0.8 0.3 0.3 }

male_names = {
			Ælaf_Olaf Ælle_Alle Æðelbald Æðelbeorht_Albert Æðelfrið Æðelhere Æðelmær_Ademar Æðelræd Æðelríc_Ulrich Æðelstán Æðelweard_Edward Æðelwine_Edwin Æðelweald
			Æðelwulf_Adolf Ælbeorht_Albert Ealdræd Ealdwine_Alwin Ealdwulf_Edulf Ælfgár Ælfraed_Alfred Ælfwald Ælfweard Ælfwine Baldræd Beorn_Beorn Beornræd 
			Beornwulf Burghræd Ceolwulf Coenred Coenwulf Cúþbeorht Cynewulf Éadbeorht Éadfrid Éadgár_Edgar Éadmund_Edmund Éadræd Éadríc Eadulf_Edulf
			Éadweald Éadweard_Edward Eadwíg Eadwine_Edwin Ealdræd Ealdmund Eanbeorht Eanfrið Eanhere Eardwulf_Ordulf Earled Ecgbeorht_Egbert Ecgfrið
			Eormenríc Éstmund Godwine_Godwin Harold_Harold Hereweald_Harold Hlóþhere_Lothair Leófríc Leófwine Maldræd_Maldred Mórcár Offa_Ulf Óshere Ósræd Ósríc Ósulf_Osulf
			Ósweald Óswine_Oswin Hrodbeorht_Robert Sæbert Sælræd Sæweald_Sewald Sæxbald Sæxræd Sigebeorht Sigehelm Sigeræd Sigeríc Sighere_Sighere Sigeweard_Siward
			Stígand Swæfræd Swíþhelm Swíþræd Þóræð Þúrcytel_Thorcytel Uhtred Ulf_Ulf Wealþéof_Waltheof Wígláf Wihtræd Wulfhere Wulfnóþ
		}
		female_names = {

Dutch male names (00_cultures.txt\west_germanic\dutch)

Code:
	dutch = {
		graphical_culture = germangfx
		graphical_unit_culture = western

color = { 0.8 0.4 0.2 }

male_names = {
			Adriaen_Adrian Albrecht_Albert Alwin_Alwin Ambroos_Ambrose Antoon_Anthony Arnold_Arnold Arnulf_Arnulf Balderik Barend_Bernard Barnaerd_Bernard Bartolomeus_Bartholomew
			Bavo Bertold_Berchtold Boudewijn_Baldwin Claes_Nicholas Claeuwaert Daevit_David Damaes Diederick_Thierry Dirk_Thierry Douwe Eduard_Edward Egmund_Egmund Ekbert_Egbert
			Emmo_Aymon Engelbrecht_Engelbert Filips_Philip Floris_Florence Folbert Frans_Francis Frederik_Frederick Gerard_Gerard Gerolt_Gerald Gerulf
			Gerrit_Gerard Gijsbrecht Giselbert_Gilbert Godfried_Godfrey Godschalk_Gottschalk Gozewijn_Godwin Guij_Guy Gwijde_Guy Hendrik_Henry Herman_Herman Hubert_Hubert
			Hugo_Hugh IJsbrand IJsbrecht Jacco_Jacob Jacob_Jacob Jan_John Karel_Charles Koenraad_Conrad
			Kristof_Christopher Lambert_Lambert Lodewijk_Louis Ludewijn Lutbert_Lutbert Luthard Maertijn_Martin Marquart_Markward Niclaes_Nicholas
			Olivier_Oliver Otto_Otto Otwin_Edwin Onno Pieter_Peter Reinaerd_Reinhard Reinoud_Reinhold Reginar_Rayner Robrecht_Robert Robert_Robert Rodulf_Rudolph 
			Roelof_Rudolph Roland_Roland Rutger_Roger Sebastiaen_Sebastian Sicco Simon_Simon Steven_Stephen Steyn_Sten Theodolf Waelram_Waleran Walter_Walter
			Wicher Willem_William Wolfard
		}
		female_names = {

Frankish male names (00_cultures.txt\latin\frankish)

Code:
	frankish = {
		graphical_culture = frankishgfx

color = { 0.8 0.8 0.2 }
		male_names = {
			Édouard_Edward Érard Étienne_Stephen Adalbert_Albert Adémar_Ademar Adrien_Adrian Aimery_Aymeric Alain_Alan Aldebert_Albert Aldéric_Alderic Alphonse_Alphonse Amaury_Amalric
			Amédée_Amadeus Ancel_Anselm André_Andrew Angelbert_Engelbert Antoine_Anthony Archambaud_Archibald Arnaud_Arnold Arnault_Arnold Arnoul_Arnulf Aubry_Alberic Aymar_Aymar Barthélemy_Bartholomew
			Baudouin_Baldwin Benoît_Benedict Béranger_Berengar Bernard_Bernard Bertrand_Bertrand Bohémond_Bohemond Boson_Boson Bouchard_Burchard Centule_Centule Charles_Charles
			Clotaire_Lothair Ebbon Enguerrand Eudes_Otto Eustache_Eustace Evrard_Eberhard Foulques_Fulk François_Francis Frédéric_Frederick Géraud_Gerald Gargamel Gaucher Gaucelin_Joscelin
			Gauthier_Walter Geoffroy_Godfrey Gérauld_Gerald Gelduin Gilbert_Gilbert Gilles_Giles Godefroy_Godfrey Guichard_Gohard Guigues Guilhem_William Guillaume_William
			Guy_Guy Hélie_Elias Hamelin_Hamelin Henri_Henry Herbert_Herbert Hildebert Hugues_Hugh Humbert_Humbert Jacques_Jacob Jaufré_Godfrey Jaspert_Casper Jean_John Josselin_Joscelin
			Jourdain_Jordan Julien_Julian Léon_Leo Léonard_Leonard Lothaire_Lothar Louis_Louis Leu_Lupo Manassès Mathieu_Matthew Maurice_Maurice Nicolas_Nicholas Ogier_Holger Onfroy_Humphrey Orson_Ors Othon_Otto
			Payen_Pagan Philippe_Philip Pierre_Peter Raimbaut_Raimbaut Raoul_Ralph Raymond_Raymond Raynaud_Reinhold Renaud_Reinhold Richard_Richard Robert_Robert Robin_Robert Roger_Roger
			Rorgon_Rorgon Roubaud Savary_Savaric Sigismond_Sigmund Simon_Simon Thibault_Theobald Thiébaut_Theobald Thierry_Thierry Thomas_Thomas Valéran_Waleran Yves_Ivo
		}
		female_names = {

Norman male names (00_cultures.txt\latin\norman)

Code:
	norman = {
		graphical_culture = normangfx

color = { 0.8 0.7 0.1 }

male_names = {
			Abélard_Abelard Adam_Adam Adélard_Adalard Adémar_Ademar Alexander_Alexander Alfons_Alphonse Amaury_Amalric Anfroi_Anfray Anquetil Anselm_Anselm Armand_Herman Arnald_Arnold Asclettin Aubrey_Alberic Baldwin_Baldwin
			Bernard_Bernard Berold_Bernard Bertran_Bertrand Beuves Blayve_Blaise Bohémond_Bohemond Botolf_Botwulf Clémence_Clement Drogo_Drogon Errand Eustache_Eustace Faramond Ferant_Ferdinand Filbert
			Fulk_Fulk Fraunk_Francis Fréry_Frederick Gaillard Gaufrid_Godfrey Geoffroy_Godfrey Gérald_Gerald Gerard_Gerard Géraud_Gerald Gerbert_Gerbert Gervas_Gervase Giffard_Gebhard Gilbert_Gilbert
			Godfrey_Godfrey Goubert Guntard Guy_Guy Haimo_Aymon Hamelin_Hamelin Henry_Henry Herbert_Herbert Herman_Herman Hubert_Hubert Hugh_Hugh Humbert_Humbert Humphrey_Humphrey Ildebrand Jordan_Jordan Joscelin_Joscelin
			Lambert_Lambert Lancelin Mauger Néel_Nigel Normand Odo_Otto Orderic Ors_Ors Osbern_Osborne Osmond Osulf_Osulf Oswyn_Oswin Radolf_Ralph Radulf_Ralph Randolf_Ralph Ranulf Raymond_Raymond Rayner_Rayner
			Richard_Richard  Robert_Robert Roger_Roger Rolland_Roland Roscelin Sayer_Sighere Serlo Serril Sewal_Sewald Sylvester_Silvester Simon_Simon Stéfen_Stephen Tancrède_Tancredi Torf_Torfinn Turold_Torvald Turquetil_Thorcytel Turstin_Torstein
			Tybalt_Theobald Walter_Walter Williame_William Wymund 
		}

Last edited: