• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Viperswhip

Field Marshal
101 Badges
Feb 8, 2009
  • Deus Vult
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Surviving Mars
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
So, I bought KA 2 a while ago and just finished playing through it this weekend. I only started playing after the DLC and last patch though.

So, I have suffered a crash or two, but only if I tried to load a game while something else was being processed I think.

I kind of miss not being able to make up your own armies with commanders, but I understand why from a design perspective. I also like the Leadership changes and the magic shield is pretty nice as well.

The art in the game is really nice, some of the battlefields are outstanding, however mountainous regions (I am especially reminded of the first gate you destroy) make the camera really hard to move around and get right.

I really like being able to retrain my units, colour me surprised, and it prompted a restart, to see that you can change a human light infantry unit to a human heavy infantry or spearman, and vice versa. That's pretty cool. I started running Light Cavalry to 5 to get the Haste upgrade and then swapping them to Heavy Cavalry.

Some of the units are a little weird and I never ended up being tempted to use them.

This is a really long game, tons of territories to take over or have diplomatic relations with. There was another huge win in design. I love the diplomacy. I kind of wish there were more overtly insulting things you could do from the diplo screen other than declare war. I know later you can unlock some things, but at the start of the game it might have been nice. I kind of ended up allied with quite a few provinces because the story didn't prompt me to war with them and just all the diplomatic actions over time made allying make way more sense than war.

The wives are a nice addition as well, giving a bit more flavour to the various warriors.

I don't have much negative to say. Those saying the Wargame aspect have disappeared maybe couldn't wrap their mind around a bit of diplomacy first. I quite enjoyed that strategic layer.

Overall I will give the game an 8/10 and hearty thumbs up. I don't need another King Arthur game, but something in the same engine with magic would definitely be on my buy list.