• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yay, it's done! But I can't post pictures the capture; it's for exceeding quota or something... maybe it's counitng it as doublepost.

Anyways, caught a lucky break in capturing the Kaiser in the independence war, which probably shaved off a good year or three from achieving that last condition. First Major Battle won 4 January 1143, Kaiser Captured on 10 May 1143, officially independent 7 June 1143. And that was after two years of war during which the doomstacks had smushed mine. When they went to bother Bohemia I was able to regroup, but I've still lost my 4 knight retinues.

View attachment 77057

Great! I think you may want to upload pictures to another site like imgur or photobucket. That could be your problem.

I begin to wonder if it is enough to be Holy roman emperor instead of independence. Since something unexpected happened: http://imgur.com/h19uLUy
Edit: Image didn't work so posted link instead.

Hm. Interesting. Not sure how to respond to this, honestly.

Yeah, I didn't want to rush it so I just bitted my time until I was stong enough that I could break free without any difficulty.

Well, you certainly did that. No problems on that end whatsoever.

My character the Queen died in 1136, aged 35, leaving me with a game over. :(

(I had all the de-jure kingdom and 4/6 of the duchy, but wasn't independent.)

What? No children, or siblings?

I love the idea of this, but I played as Provence -> Burgundy very recently (and although I didn't manage to reclaim French Burgundy, I managed the other goals) so I'll skip this week because it's a bit of a retread for me. Slightly different starting position, but too similar for my tastes.

I love the idea of this, but I played as Provence -> Burgundy very recently (and although I didn't manage to reclaim French Burgundy, I managed the other goals) so I'll skip this week because it's a bit of a retread for me. Slightly different starting position, but too similar for my tastes.

That's cool. Next week will definitely be somewhere other than Burgundy, so hopefully you'll play that one.

I liked how your example idea had the player placing his dynasty on thrones he doesn't control. But, as others have pointed out, having people post multiple screenshots for a challenge could be problematic.

I liked how your example idea had the player placing his dynasty on thrones he doesn't control. But, as others have pointed out, having people post multiple screenshots for a challenge could be problematic.

Thanks for the feedback. The screenshots for every war may have been a poor idea, but hopefully the "place relative on foreign throne" part becomes an actual part of a challenge at one point. Those games have always been fun.

Her mother helpfully married her (not matrilineally) to a random German, and they had three sons.

D'oh!

I think a good Idea for next weeks game is the Yousifid Emirate (Damascus) .

-Create Kingdom of Syria
-Become Independent
-Survive with All DeJure Land to 1300. (That means defending against Crusades, Byzies, and Mongols)

-Bonus points for Holding Duchies of Galilee and Jerusalem and if Possible Mecca and Medina.......
-Remain Levantine Culture

Maybe, but I would rather stay away from all DLC - required games for now, unless you guys would like to have two games at once. A "vanilla" game and "DLC Game".

I wasn't suppose to play last game with my DLC turned on? So then NOONE would have access to Retinues. (Which would make it harder for players to defeat their liege's Armies)

I wished I had read that before I started playing.......

Maybe, but I would rather stay away from all DLC - required games for now, unless you guys would like to have two games at once. A "vanilla" game and "DLC Game".

I've honestly no idea how many play with some/all DLC, and how many still play vanilla DLC considering all DLC has been on 75% sales; I'd like to see some muslim (republic; pagan once Old Gods is there) gameplay ideas, though, gives me some reason to play in different regions I'm used to.

I've started a Savoy game myself, but progress is _very_ slow, since my ruler became posessed after maybe two years, and my chancellor hasn't fabricated a single claim in thrity years... -.- So not much to do, plots don't work that well since nobody likes me, and neither I don't have that deep pockets to bride backers with gifts, nor do I change my culture to get rid of the foreigner malus; still, inviting/landing claimants and pressing their claims got some gains here and there, but I'm a far cry away from tackling even medium players right now. We'll see how this goes - still, thanks for the idea behind this particular game, I'm playing/enjoying CK2 again after a longer hiatus while waiting for Old Gods.

I wasn't suppose to play last game with my DLC turned on? So then NOONE would have access to Retinues. (Which would make it harder for players to defeat their liege's Armies)

I wished I had read that before I started playing.......

Oh. I didn't realize that. I auto-enable all DLC by default, and thought retinues were in there anyway. Oops. New rule for next week.

I've honestly no idea how many play with some/all DLC, and how many still play vanilla DLC considering all DLC has been on 75% sales; I'd like to see some muslim (republic; pagan once Old Gods is there) gameplay ideas, though, gives me some reason to play in different regions I'm used to.

Well, that's just the thing. I don't know. It isn't that much work to post a DLC game as well, though, so I guess I can do that. It will most likely be A SoI game, unless everyone would rather I post a Republic game.

I've started a Savoy game myself, but progress is _very_ slow, since my ruler became posessed after maybe two years, and my chancellor hasn't fabricated a single claim in thrity years... -.- So not much to do, plots don't work that well since nobody likes me, and neither I don't have that deep pockets to bride backers with gifts, nor do I change my culture to get rid of the foreigner malus; still, inviting/landing claimants and pressing their claims got some gains here and there, but I'm a far cry away from tackling even medium players right now. We'll see how this goes - still, thanks for the idea behind this particular game, I'm playing/enjoying CK2 again after a longer hiatus while waiting for Old Gods.

Glad to hear it. :) Hopefully future games are just as good (to play, that is).

I have all DLC except Sunset Invasion.....I play with them ALL on.......Retinues are only Available with LoR DLC. Muslims playable with SOI. Republic with Republic DLC.

Playing without Retinues would make Factions much tougher to deal with......and who can defeat MONGOLS without Retinues?(especially Cataphrachts)

I'm not sure actually, about the Yousifid game's conditions. It'd be too easy to blob, stay as a vassal , and then go for independence in 1280 or something like that, when you can't realistically be stopped.

Staying as a vassal isn't that easy for Muslims, though, because they can and do revoke titles. It's not like Western Europe, where being a vassal is perfectly safe so long as you don't rebel. (Unless that's just in CK2+. I haven't played vanilla in a while.)

Funny! I play a game like this, i started out as count of Geneve, and the only missing goal is the Duchy of burgundy, only problem is that France is the most powerfull nation in my game :( and I'm in year 1303 :D

No time to play Burgundy this week, but as a future game idea, I'd like to see how far and fast people can push the Count of Vermandois, Herbert Karling, and the Karling dynasty in a future game. Maybe reunite Charlemagne's Empire?

Last edited:
This is a great idea! I'll add any characters you use to the Why You Should play Any Character thread with a note that it was used for this, if you don't mind.

This is a great idea! I'll add any characters you use to the Why You Should play Any Character thread with a note that it was used for this, if you don't mind.

I love that thread. I have no problems with idea whatsoever.