• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(654183)

Recruit
1 Badges
Feb 3, 2013
  • Dungeonland
Love the game, and I gotta admit that the three current characters cover everything pretty well (curse you Holy Trinity of Gaming ;). BUT, I would like to see a female character introduced, so here's a potential thought process...

Valkyrie/Amazon/Dervish - Another front-line melee character akin to the Gauntlet Legends class Valkyrie, a "jane-of-all-trades" (i.e. a middle ground of damage/armor/HP between the current 3 characters). Potentially give the class some flair and differentiate it by making it a crowd control class.

Primary class power - War shout that acts as a point blank area of effect (PBAoE) debuff to reduce enemy damage or armor.

Sub-classes
Valkyrie - Greatsword - Secondary power - PBAoE, temporarily revive slain enemies to fight alongside the Heroes for x duration.
Amazon - Trident -Forward-facing cone AoE, throw out a net to temporarily slow enemy movement and/or attack speed for x duration
Dervish - Dual-wield Axes - PBAoE, whirling attack that damages and reflects projectiles away for x duration

One major plea: Please don't make the main character armor set be the typical chain mail bikini. As an unlockable costume, fine, but please not as the main armor set.

Love the game, and I gotta admit that the three current characters cover everything pretty well (curse you Holy Trinity of Gaming ;). BUT, I would like to see a female character introduced, so here's a potential thought process...

Valkyrie/Amazon/Dervish - Another front-line melee character akin to the Gauntlet Legends class Valkyrie, a "jane-of-all-trades" (i.e. a middle ground of damage/armor/HP between the current 3 characters). Potentially give the class some flair and differentiate it by making it a crowd control class.

You do realize that the warrior is a dedicated "control" character, right?

Primary class power - War shout that acts as a point blank area of effect (PBAoE) debuff to reduce enemy damage or armor.

Sub-classes
Valkyrie - Greatsword - Secondary power - PBAoE, temporarily revive slain enemies to fight alongside the Heroes for x duration.
Amazon - Trident -Forward-facing cone AoE, throw out a net to temporarily slow enemy movement and/or attack speed for x duration
Dervish - Dual-wield Axes - PBAoE, whirling attack that damages and reflects projectiles away for x duration

I dislike the primary skill, it feels more like a potion ability. You aren't going to need to use it often, (mostly just when you are facing a larger group) and you wont weave it into your actions like back stab, ray of awesome or the shield. I dislike the secondary power for the greatsword, I don't think heroes should have abilities that interact with corpses. I would like details on how you envision weapons to function. It feels like what you are going for is like.... a berserker, a squishier melee character with a lot of offensive power, not a character balanced between offensive/defensive power. The rest of it seems fine. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I am aware that the warrior is a dedicated control class. I think it's tough to even add a fourth hero unit since Paradox did such a great job with the current heroes (imo).

To me, the warrior feels like a hp tank that focuses enemies to him. A squishier melee that weakens enemies or directs them away from the group is more along what I was thinking as a 4th hero. Not necessarily more offensive power (and I would think maybe less power than warrior), but more "debuffing" options. The warrior is about control, but to me crowd control is more of debuff than tank/buff

I agree there are a lot of flaws of using corpses, such as long pauses between fights or backtracking. Maybe a "summon warrior (say 1 or 2)" would work out better. As for weapons, I was envisioning the warrior's weapons but with disables and enfeebles in mind.

Thanks for the friendly rebuttal :)

Yeah, I am aware that the warrior is a dedicated control class. I think it's tough to even add a fourth hero unit since Paradox did such a great job with the current heroes (imo).

Heh.... Agreed.

To me, the warrior feels like a hp tank that focuses enemies to him. A squishier melee that weakens enemies or directs them away from the group is more along what I was thinking as a 4th hero. Not necessarily more offensive power (and I would think maybe less power than warrior), but more "debuffing" options. The warrior is about control, but to me crowd control is more of debuff than tank/buff

I think this video explains the warrior fairly well. Do not use your face for defense. Warriors are tanky, but they are not tanks, or at least not on hard and very hard for DM mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QoPavYxNes

As for weapons, I was envisioning the warrior's weapons but with disables and enfeebles in mind.

Thanks for the friendly rebuttal :)

I was meaning more along the lines of, how would each weapon attack like? Like... The gun for the rogue is fairly mobile, the knifes have the best single target dps, but doesn't have the mobility of the gun, and the bow requires you to charge up shots while standing still for maximum potential. The warrior has a 3 strike system for all 3 of his weapons. While the sword and shield is fairly similar to the two hander, the spear attacks in a very different way than the other two.

YW. Do you have anything to say about my criticism for the primary ability? To add on to my criticism, it requires you or your allies to be taking damage, (different from taking hits, like the shield and the ray of awesome) but the only thing it does is somewhat reduce it.

Last edited:
I see the warrior role in the party setting as timing the shield and learning monster tells, but I play them defensively as a tank (and no, not as a meat shield that gets hit in the face). The tank role makes it very convenient for rogue friends to line up backstabs. The warrior is defensive crowd control minded. The mage can fill some aspect of offensive crowd control with stun and freeze, but this category still feels overlooked.

The main concept is to mitigate damage by debuffing the enemies. The mage has slight variations of this with status conditions. The rogue mitigates with timed spike damage or focus-fire damage. The warrior focuses enemies on him and mitigates damage by timing the shield or knocking enemies away. The valkyrie idea is to mitigate damage by enfeebling enemies: thus making it either harder for them to reach you in the first place and weakening them so they are slightly easier to kill.

Not sure what YW means. The primary ability I had in mind wouldn't require you or your allies to be taking damage. It requires the monsters to be taking damage. For example, the character uses the war shout and the monsters within a small radius around her are now flagged with a red mark. For x duration, those flagged monsters have -y% armor reduction to make it faster to take them down.

Damage vs mobility seems to be the easiest trade-off between all class heroes, at least on a base level. Or precision vs mobility in the case of the mage and timing his walls/electric bomb. Upon finding a baseline, I would potentially think slight mobility+dmg focus for the dual-axes, dmg+reach for the trident, and defense+mobility for the greatsword.

The weapon ideas aren't set in stone, and I honestly haven't put too much thought into them outside of the weapon perks. Been too busy trying to balance board game prototypes as it is ^^

The main concept is to mitigate damage by debuffing the enemies. The valkyrie idea is to mitigate damage by enfeebling enemies: thus making it either harder for them to reach you in the first place and weakening them so they are slightly easier to kill.

Either debuffs need to be designed so they effect the way you play at a core level or they simply aren't worth having in my book. Simply making it increase damage taken or damage dealt isn't enough, it needs to matter in a different way. A way that might end up being hard to design.

Not sure what YW means. The primary ability I had in mind wouldn't require you or your allies to be taking damage. It requires the monsters to be taking damage. For example, the character uses the war shout and the monsters within a small radius around her are now flagged with a red mark. For x duration, those flagged monsters have -y% armor reduction to make it faster to take them down.

YW=You're welcome. Well, as a melee hero, they need some extra defenses to give them an easier time to survive. So their special should probably allow them to take or avoid more hits in some way or another. As an ability, I don't really like warshout. Fire wall and ice wall are somewhat versatile in that they can damage and burn or freeze enemies, and they can increase ranged damage, whereas warshout is not. I consider it an issue that your ability draws more similarities with the Q abilities than the other right click abilities. I dislike how it doesn't really change how you act on a moment to moment basis, (like the shield, backstab and to a more limited extent, the ray of awesome) due to what I can only assume is a 8+ sec cooldown and an effect more suited to a potion or Q ability.

Damage vs mobility seems to be the easiest trade-off between all class heroes, at least on a base level. Or precision vs mobility in the case of the mage and timing his walls/electric bomb. Upon finding a baseline, I would potentially think slight mobility+dmg focus for the dual-axes, dmg+reach for the trident, and defense+mobility for the greatsword.

I was thinking more along the lines of, how they find their targets. The two hander cleaves, the lance deals damage in a line and the sword+shield seems similar to the two hander. But whatever, I guess you have said enough.