• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, port strike mission is extremely dangerous for carriers, since if their ORG goes down, a lot of their STR will do, and if some NAV units or even a mid sized SAG come into range, the CV's are very fragile. Attentive players can really destroy Carrier fleets with this counter-attack strategy.

Agreed. Clear the seas with your ships, kill them in port with your NAVs.

BTW, aren't you thinking it's a bit of an overkill that fighter squadrons can get destroyed completely during air battle? I understand that, for example, a unit may lose 100% of its aircraft contingent - but still, the staff, mechanics, ground support and stuff remains intact. So, technically, such unit should be still in-game, but grounded until it recieves reinforcements. I can understand making air units very expensive to reinforce - but still it should be less expensive than reforming them anew...

Air battles have fairly realistic casualty rates. Their duration is limited by fuel constraints, and trying to shoot a plane down with another plane is almost like hitting a bullet with a bullet (and fighters only carried enough ammunition to fire their guns for a few seconds).

Doing this to Germany in KR is the only way to fully shut down the German threat if you manage to get at Kiel from the air, and Wilhelmshaven from the sea. Port strikes shut down fleets and forces them to stay in port for repairs, renedering their combat potential to be zero.

Why is Carrier Strike on Airbase/Runway Cratering so underpowered though? Sure you wreck their airbase itself, ruining their org/str recoveries, but you want to nail the planes themselves as well.

You could do this in AoD and I didn't really like it. It was a really cool feature, but it was like a land based equivalent to naval bombers. Wayyy to powerful.

IMHO, the truly overpowered aspect of carrier strike on port is that, apart from other carriers and fighters in the same province's airbase, there's virtually no defense against this kind of attack. AA batteries do nothing...

IMHO, the truly overpowered aspect of carrier strike on port is that, apart from other carriers and fighters in the same province's airbase, there's virtually no defense against this kind of attack. AA batteries do nothing...

Put some bombers in the provinces with your fleets and watch the ai destroy itself. Planes attacking ships in port was rather effective in WWII :p

AA batteries IIRC protect against 'passive bombers' aka bombers on their way to a target. AA installations in game DO NOT provide point defense, they provide 'attrition' defence, as in, if the bomber just passes over your area, they WILL take damage depending on your AA technology.

For 'point defense' or province defense, put INF-AA units on high priority provinces. They may not be deadly in a frontline battle, but that is NOT the point, they're defenders of strategic assets. Two INF-AA WILL deter AI unless there is a high difference. I cannot comment in MP games, but I assume a knowledgeable player will hit targets.
Put some bombers in the provinces with your fleets and watch the ai destroy itself. Planes attacking ships in port was rather effective in WWII :p
No, do not put bombers, put INT units, they gain massive interception bonuses.

Last edited:
AA batteries IIRC protect against 'passive bombers' aka bombers on their way to a target. AA installations in game DO NOT provide point defense, they provide 'attrition' defence, as in, if the bomber just passes over your area, they WILL take damage depending on your AA technology.

For 'point defense' or province defense, put INF-AA units on high priority provinces. They may not be deadly in a frontline battle, but that is NOT the point, they're defenders of strategic assets. Two INF-AA WILL deter AI unless there is a high difference. I cannot comment in MP games, but I assume a knowledgeable player will hit targets.

No, do not put bombers, put INT units, they gain massive interception bonuses.

My bombers get big str damage hitting provinces with lots of AA.

Int will reduce the org of the carriers quickly but not do much damage. The bombers can do big damage to the carriers.

Was there any WWII example of stricken airbase retaliating with bombers? Frankly, I'd never have thought of deploying bombers as protection from carrier strikes...

Was there any WWII example of stricken airbase retaliating with bombers? Frankly, I'd never have thought of deploying bombers as protection from carrier strikes...

In-game what will happen is when the fleet is detected the bombers will go attack them. Or at least it appears that way. I've seen lots of times when a patrolling fleet spots another fleet the nearby land-based bombers join in the fray.

The reverse works well too, put a fleet on scramble (or whatever the fleet equivalent is called) and then use planes to spot for enemy fleets. I sank a German surface fleet that way off of US East Coast a few games ago. I had all my old, slow ships in a couple of fleets on the east coast and a NAV unit spotted and attacked the German fleet. Then all those old BBs & etc. sallied forth and sank the whole German fleet.

I had a completely different scenario in mind; IIRC, the port strike mission represents CVs approaching the base stealthy and launching a surprise attack (like Taranto or Pearl Harbour). In such a case, using defensive bombers to sink attacking CVs makes very little sense to me... I don not comply about bombers actively patrolling the shore and directing the fleet against intrusion - I'm talking about a situation when a wing of B 17 scrambles from Pearl Harbour to sink Soryu...

Jedrek, that only works with surprise which in the real war was hard to get with a large fleet. It you had a bunch of B17s sitting on the tarmac and your scouts spotted a big Japanese fleet incoming I'd guess you most certainly WOULD send them out (assuming time allows).

Are you just being hyperbolic in this thread or do you really not see more than five planes shot down in encounters? Here's a random air engagement in my last Germany game:

iRbKkPb.png

And that was with 1933-model interceptors.

Is that kind of battle-report a mod ? Still playing 1.02 with a friend and we would love to actually see what kind of MP losses we take.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the Dev Diaery, sorry for interrupting.

Last edited: