• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In France at the time, a Brigade was comprised of 2 Semi-Brigade (aka Regiment); a Colonel commanding a Regiment being a 'chef de brigade'. The naming change with Napoleon, but not the organisation (2 regiments per brigade, 2 brigade per division ...+ services).[/QUOTE

In 1805 each regiment of line or light infantry would consist of two, three and sometimes 4 field battalions. (source-The Glory years 1805-1807 Napoleon and Austerlitz by Scott Bowden.

As of February 18, 1809 by Decree all Line and Light Infantry Regiments had 4 field battalions and 1 depot battalion.(source-Armies on the Danube 1809 by Scott Bowden and Charles Tarbox.)

I do share some disappointment that the two wargames from my favorite time period in history - Creative Attitude's Empire Total War (and Napolean Total War) - and this one are what they are. I don't hate MotE, I don't hate Paradox for making it this way, and it's not like I'm suddenly deleting it. But I am disappointed. We can tell Paradox we're disappointed but for every one of us that is disappointed there's fifteen people who want to play multiplayer. That's a pretty hard ratio for business enterprise to ignore.

Hey REMcPhail, Creative Assembly's Empire Total War and Napoleon Total War are epic strategy games! If you play LME4 for example you'll get a deep immersive experience as I did with all the unique units etc. I have over 1,000 hours played of NTW. I love that game but what it lacks is the Paradox map as a framework. What MotE lacks is the NTW battle immersion, basic trade and buildings. How I wish for a combination of these two games! But never the twain shall meet I guess.
Prince

Hey REMcPhail, Creative Assembly's Empire Total War and Napoleon Total War are epic strategy games! If you play LME4 for example ...
Prince

Mods certainly have made a difference, but I disagree that they are "epic" strategy games. I bought ETW from Steam after the last patch was released from CA and it was still so freakin' buggy that it was simply annoying to play. And I'm not talking about game design decisions, but actual bugs in the game - such as selecting a land unit and having the audio response be that for naval units.

There's a often-referred to quote from an employee of CA who said he wouldn't give the game away, it was so bad. The AI was atrociously bad. Playing Great Britain was piece of cake. It is well-accepted on the TW forums that Empire was so buggy upon release that it could barely be played. Granted, NTW was definitely better and improved.

For a long time I defended CA, and even on their forum, back when they were still promising to release "mod tools" so we could mod the game and fix the bugs ourselves. Then after waiting for more than two years, we were told these tools were not going to come. We still cannot mod the campaign map, and some people have spent hundreds of hours trying. People have made some improvements, and it does remain a fun diversion for anyone not terribly interested in historic accuracy.

Some mods, like Darthmod, have made ETW playable and for that I'm grateful. And it does have sea battles, which is cool. Thankfully, the other CA titles have been fun games, and I'm looking forward to the release of Rome II.

I just had a look at the game files. I own it but haven't played it. You could mod the historical regiments and strengths if you wanted to. The game is basic in its design in that each "brigade" has 2400 men. You could change these to regiments and have regiments of 1 battalion - 4 battalions. With the appropriate strengths. Its a case of modding the historical regiment sizes for each country in the common/units and common/brigades folders. I haven't checked out the 1792 mod but maybe they did something like this. If they haven't - then I will probably try and do something like this. But then you need to have balancing issues tested etc. But you are right the game was one step from a brilliant immersion experience.

For me - one of the immersive elements of Paradox's games, whether it's EU3 or HOI3, is the ability to name my units historically. I know - someone on this forum told me once this was "hard fun" since it can take quite a bit of time.

At this time, the British Army organized its infantry units into regiments. The Oxford History of the British Army (Chandler 2003), which I picked up at the library this morning, notes that at the time of the Third Coalition, the British Army listed over 100 regiments - but says nothing of the brigade system on which MOTE is based. Moreover, I can find no reference to the brigade names used in MOTE.

I know I'm being a complete geek here, and none of this is meant a criticism of the game (consider how much I must like the game if I'm willing to spend this much time renaming units ...). I'm curious if anyone else renames their units to historic regimental names, or uses any historic organizational system or OOB.
As a spaniard i like to use this as a guide: ESTADOS MILITARES 3w's(dot)aulamilitar(dot)com/pagiht09(dot)htm?ID_SESION=DDTIZNDNGMGGYBWIQXFC
Here you can see that units are "Regiments" instead of Brigades. More or less same units that are on Spanish history\OOB\ file.
Most units of that time where demi-brigades (half- brigades or a bunching of regiments). So you are quite right.