• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Two interesting ideas

1. Dynamic states- could be either you being able to change the states in-game to what you want, the states, territories, and colonies automatically changing borders as in history and have secession attempts to divide the established states (which could result in either a province/provinces joining a neighboring state or those said provinces (or province) splitting off into a new state), or both
2. Cultural-preference Immigration- you could choose (if you pass this reform in immigration) what culture/culture group(s) you focus on bringing in into your country (providing a boost in the amount of immigrants arriving from the selected culture/culture group); historical examples of countries that would did this (that I know of) was (correct me if I'm wrong) Canada and the US

Reactions:
22 Infamy for this, plainly put, is ridiculous. The number of times that taking a large infamy hit would absolutely destroy an AI GP is probably far more than you realize.

22 Infamy would be a rare occurrence, if a nation wasn't prepared to back the new country in a crisis they probably won't recognise their independence. besides, if the attacking country doesn't want all that infamy they can choose not to attack, it could be coded so that an AI nation won't attack if it would put them over the infamy limit

I would love to see better immigration and emigration mechanics, because the way it works now doesn't cover the nuances. Immigration to the New World should be much rarer before the 1870s or so, and before then should target the United States almost exclusively unless a Latin American state can do really well really fast. After that, it should still be weighted toward the United States, but it should open for any other state in the New World, as well as Australia and New Zealand. Right now it's fairly unrealistic how I can play as Chile and triple my population in a decade from the start date.

I like the New World immigration nerf, but I'd base it not on the USA tag but rather on great power status. That way, if the USA becomes a backwater country and the CSA or Mexico becomes a great power instead there will still be an migration target for poor Europeans. I'd also tie the opening up of the rest of the New World to some sort of tech instead of an arbritrary year. Don't know what the exact reasons were for people to move to Argentina or Chile, but there's probably some invention that comes close to simulating the change in circumstances that put all those Europeans on a boat to a Latin America.

This could apply to a lot of Pdox games but Vicky in particular - how about separating language and culture?

Cultural assimilation IRL is extremely rare, but linguistic assimilation happens more often.

You can also model particular situations like French- and English-speaking Canadians etc.

The late game in my opinion needs some serious improvement. Does it even have the Wall Street Crash or the League of Nations? I don't remember either coming up, and yet they had a major impact on history.

the LoN and Depression are very specefic events, though, that require a lot of triggers and event chains to actuially work

the LoN and Depression are very specefic events, though, that require a lot of triggers and event chains to actuially work
Ah, I see. I would be cool to have a LoN system in the diplomacy screen.

On another note, the idiotic system where the warleader can simply terminate the war with only his wargoals enacted needs to be changed. This is one of the worst aspects of the game and the only one that particularly frustrates me.

Ah, I see. I would be cool to have a LoN system in the diplomacy screen.

On another note, the idiotic system where the warleader can simply terminate the war with only his wargoals enacted needs to be changed. This is one of the worst aspects of the game and the only one that particularly frustrates me.

considering its like that in eu4, i doubt something else is going to happemn

It happened to WW1 Italy IRL. They were promised stuff like the Dalmatian coastline, but because they weren't war leader they never got it.

So it's kind of realistic (if appreciably frustrating).

It happened to WW1 Italy IRL. They were promised stuff like the Dalmatian coastline, but because they weren't war leader they never got it.

So it's kind of realistic (if appreciably frustrating).

It certainly has happened throughout history, but the problem with it in Victoria is the scale on which it happens - Britain ignored about six wargoals (it was a great war) from Japan and Hungary, both great powers, and only carried on with their own (three, about 40 warscore equivalent).

Imagine Lloyd George strolling into Versailles on day one and saying "NOPE! You're getting nothing!" whenever France tried to speak.

I imagine it's quite hard to script so the AI can judge such circumstances.

I would love a WW1 game start and an awesome supply system (which should be implemented into all the paradox games, would really improve the games). However HoD is a relaly good game and I love it. By far my favorite and I think the best paradox game.

considering its like that in eu4, i doubt something else is going to happemn

Even worse, they can give you a bunch of territory which you don't want, can't get rid of, and which makes the entire world declare war on you.

I would love a WW1 game start and an awesome supply system (which should be implemented into all the paradox games, would really improve the games). However HoD is a relaly good game and I love it. By far my favorite and I think the best paradox game.

The game would really have to have Move=Attack for it to model WW1 properly.

Last edited:
This game needs more diplomatic options and reworked economy, so you had ability to rule the world with money instead of conquests.. (its specially fun in multiplayer than one expands while other expands influence with money.. It should represent reality where america became worlds best country by money instead of conquests.

There's a fair amount of the game that just doesn't work. Much of the way POPs are supposed to work just doesn't. The markets are buggy as hell. Immigration national focus doesn't work at all (and don't explain to me how it works - I know how it's supposed to work; it doesn't; I've tested it). The reason so much is broken is because much of the game is needlessly complex. All the political "issues" POPs have for example don't make much sense and should be removed. Stick to the production, the economy, and some basic politics, and make sure it works right.

The way the market is based on prestige is all wrong too. Scrap it. Start over. Allow a country to be protectionist. Protectionism was there as an ideology but it was impossible to implement protectionist policies (tariffs on imports that allow domestic industry to have a competitive advantage). Expand the trade goods to there is incentive to trade freely with the outside world, but make it possible to favor domestic markets if the need exists. Tariffs on incoming goods should automatically be applied to exports as well for balance.

There's a fair amount of the game that just doesn't work. Much of the way POPs are supposed to work just doesn't. The markets are buggy as hell. Immigration national focus doesn't work at all (and don't explain to me how it works - I know how it's supposed to work; it doesn't; I've tested it). The reason so much is broken is because much of the game is needlessly complex. All the political "issues" POPs have for example don't make much sense and should be removed. Stick to the production, the economy, and some basic politics, and make sure it works right.

The way the market is based on prestige is all wrong too. Scrap it. Start over. Allow a country to be protectionist. Protectionism was there as an ideology but it was impossible to implement protectionist policies (tariffs on imports that allow domestic industry to have a competitive advantage). Expand the trade goods to there is incentive to trade freely with the outside world, but make it possible to favor domestic markets if the need exists. Tariffs on incoming goods should automatically be applied to exports as well for balance.

i will refuse to buy vicky 3 if they gut the politics but leave in a market simulator.

Every country is protectionist by default in Victoria 2. You always prioritize buying stuff from your market.
Yes, but it's not that simple. To be protectionist, you would want your local industry to be able to charge a higher price for their goods because the tariffs you've placed on imported goods make that viable. It doesn't work that way in Vicky 2. All prices are the same no matter what and the tariffs do nothing but increase the price for imported goods. It doesn't affect the local market. For example, if you want to build up your clothing industry you might want to put a high tariffs on imported clothes so these goods would become more profitable on the local market. Pretty basic economics, but this doesn't work in Vicky 2.

i will refuse to buy vicky 3 if they gut the politics but leave in a market simulator.
Do/did you actually enjoy the political system of Vicky 2? I'm not opposed to their being one in Vicky 3, I'm just opposed to their being one that doesn't make any sense. In Vicky 2 it just didn't work as intended - and if it did work as intended someone needs to take some poli sci refresher courses. Specifically what I'm referring to is where POPs care about X issue based on X conditions. It just didn't work. It was cosmetic for the most part.