1.08 multiplayer - paradropping + amphibious attack glitch

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr_B0narpte

Field Marshal
12 Badges
Mar 15, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Darkest Hour
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
When I attempted an amphibious landing as USA in Aalborg, I backed it up with 2 paratrooper divisions. When the German fleet attacked mine, the amphibious attack stopped with the paratroops having to defend themselves. However once I had sunk the German fleet my marine divisions would not start the amphibious attack again, then my paratroopers would not retreat to the free TPs in the relevant sea location. So I couldn't take the province, and lost 2 valuable divisions. Please fix this glitch (and all the others!)

Also, when attacking Aalborg, the German player sent several panzer divisions that were attacking from the adjacent province, but on mine (and the German player's screen) it looked as if it were one battle, all happening in Aalborg.

Upvote 0
Mr_B0narpte, did you retreat the paratroopers before they lost all organisation? I also lost paras on an amphibious invasion even though empty transports were waiting for them. I didnt manually force the paras to retreat so wonder if that makes a difference.

This was a while ago, but I think I was trying to retreat them before they lose all organisation. But even when they ran out of org, instead of retreating they were just annihilated.

Although I admit IRL a paratrooper attack on a coastal province cannot simply retreat to transport ships whenever they feel like it, in the game I think they should be able to due to the limits of the game mechanics in providing another suitable alternative.

I think it should be left alone. I have an Army back ground and spent many a year sleeping in the mud and snow. When an Airborne unit drops its a one way trip. It a big case of victory or vahala. <sp> When the 101st and 82nd dropped on Utah beach if the invasion had gone bad for the 4th ID and had been repulsed. Do you think either division would have been able to run for the retreating landing craft? Don't think so. Both airborne divisions were dispersed over several miles of the landing zones. The at best in the opening hours both divisions maneuver battalions were operating at company strength.

So leave it alone. How else can the airborne units live by the motto. We are surrounded, we have them were we want them.

well despite paratroopers act in an unrealistic way in aod overall, we better make their retreat options consistent. either they can retreat anytime (as it works yet) or they can't ever (to be more realistic and also a better gameplay experience from a tactical pov). no point making exceptions where they can/can't retreat.
i would really like to see in aod that paradropping is a one way ticket and they are lost if your plan for their timely "rescue" fails. this would make their usage far more dangerous and would require more careful planning. As things currently stand in aod i'm always eager to drop paratroopers upon the enemy regardless of any other circumstances! their usage is without any drawbacks [well apart the fact that researching and training them is very costly]. Also it would be nice if airborne assault at least would require temporary air superiority over the province. And if you would take very serious losses if the static AA is on high levels in the attacked province.
But this is so far from current aod paratrooper handling that i doubt it will be ever changed.

Last edited: