• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tarpoon

First Lieutenant
29 Badges
Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hello everybody,

it has been bothering me for a while, that rebels are usually only cannon fodder, once you have gained a certain amount of techs, as they seem to remain at 0 tech strength throughout the game.

A countrywide rebellion should be a major concern to a player, especially if parts of the military join it. Currently it is at best annoying.

I suggest that rebels get at least some tech bonuses, depending on how much their mother country (or the country that is currently holding their home province) has researched and which inventions have triggered for it.

If a country has tech level 4, its rebels could get tech level 3 + all inventions from level 1 to 2. Then they'd still be weaker than the regular army, but should at least be somewhat dangerous to players and the AI.

Would it be possible to do this for HoD, or have there been any other measures to make rebellions more of a thread to the rulers of nations?

+1
Nice idea

Wouldn't you then need a tag for every possible rebel from every possible country?

Or do you mean rebels get the tech of the country they're rebelling against?
The latter.

Instead of rebels spawning a 0-tech army to fight your 20-tech army, they should spawn with a 20-tech army to fight your 20-tech army.

I like the idea, but I prefer the rebels having a couple of techs lower than you. Rarely do rebels get state-of-the-art weaponry, unless it's a military coup. :laugh:

But the 0-tech rebels definitely has to change, that's for sure.

The latter.

Instead of rebels spawning a 0-tech army to fight your 20-tech army, they should spawn with a 20-tech army to fight your 20-tech army.

I like the idea, but I prefer the rebels having a couple of techs lower than you. Rarely do rebels get state-of-the-art weaponry, unless it's a military coup. :laugh:

But the 0-tech rebels definitely has to change, that's for sure.

Thats what I meant.

A 1900s rebellion would use ~1870s equipment (one tier lower minus some inventions) and tactics instead of doing it napoleon age style ;)

It would also make playing small, backward civs interesting, if that large, hightech power next to you breaks down from rebellions :)

+1 from me.

This will probably lead to a lot of revolutions, but that should be the case. No point pretending those times were not dangerous for the Governements.

This also helps make the rebellions more powerful in the latter game, so we'll eventually see Soviet Russia :p.

+1, completely agree!

I would agree with only if they change the rebels completely because the rebels grow to quick if you play as china rebels will number over 60 million with 2000 regiments ready to fight and as soon as you defeat them you have more rebellions

Maybe if rebels scale to 1/2 or 3/4 of Tech levels average of the Great Powers. Making them dangerous to players and AI GP's alike.

The small countries would get rebels that would overrun them......they get those now.

That way you wouldn't have to create as many Tags. Which would slowdown the game.

Maybe if rebels scale to 1/2 or 3/4 of Tech levels average of the Great Powers. Making them dangerous to players and AI GP's alike.

The small countries would get rebels that would overrun them......they get those now.

That way you wouldn't have to create as many Tags. Which would slowdown the game.
I guess that'd work, but I think a more feasible way would be to give the general REB tag certain techs via events, say, every 10-15 years. Could be something fixed and simple (or randomly grab X techs from a list), that doesn't autonomously keep track of other nations' technological progress, but is manually balanced according to the coder/modder's judgment. After all, such progress varies little from game to game, and their experience would dictate which techs the rebels should have by, say, 1870.

Rebels in home territory should definitely receive small arms techs, representing personal weapons and/or seizing government stocks. Officer populations joining the rebels should add organisation type military techs and a chance of government armies joining the rebellion.