Can the CK2 DLC model be used in Europa 4?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
we should get a DLC called balkan conflict. The map will only consist of the balkans, the map will be super detailed(but have small errors so someone has something to QQ about) and you start off with -200 relations with everyone! Also in someway danubiancossack will be represented on this map.

edit:another DLC idea, The Rising Sun, in this game japan is unified and has mecha units/schoolgirl infantry and will invade.....well everywhere!

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i dont want to be spammed by 50 dlcs!!!

Then don't buy them?

Yeah, the DLC model doesn't really seem to work well with this game....I'm pretty sure all nations being open was already confirmed...I guess it could be for new features added, but most of the "new feature" DLCs in CK2 were accompanied and made possible by unlocking a nation ie Pagans/Muslim...

Extend time, add New features for undone areas like China/India/Japan, Random DLCs like Sunset invasion II, and Sprites/Music packs.

Yes, but not like CK2. In CK2 DLC basically makes available countries that you couldn't play at release. There is no such thing in EU4,but there is something similar... tiered countries. It starts with some 8 fleshed out countries with chain events specific to them. DLC for EU4 will just make new countries "tier 1", so you'll have the "far east" DLC, the "hordes", the American DLC, Africa etc.

So it can be used. Now, will it be used? ^^

We all already know the answer to that. Its yes.

They're going to sell piecemeal new systems for muslims, new system for indians, new systems for pagans, I guess. I'm obviously not sure what, its nowhere nearly as clearcut as in CK2 where it was/is obvious whats 'missing'; theocracies/republics/pagans/muslims. Even in CK2's case, while it seems obvious that the next DLC after Pagans will be Theocracies (probably still no playable Pope, tho) - its really unclear what could come after that....

Obligatory: Of course, we'll all be expecting a big Byzantine DLC for Eu4, Paradox. ;)

To my mind, EU4 doesn't seem as easily able to modularly "expand" as CK2. With CK2 it was easy to make DLC that would enable factions, but in EU4 all factions begin as playable.

Even if you added game features, that were present within the game, but not "useable", what would happen in Multiplayer? You might have 5 players with access to the feature, and 3 who don't. Deactivating the feature for the 3 who don't have the DLC will make the 5 who have it annoyed, as they enjoy the DLC. In this circumstance, maybe players should be granted temporary access to a DLC if a host has it?

we should get a DLC called balkan conflict. The map will only consist of the balkans, the map will be super detailed(but have small errors so someone has something to QQ about) and you start off with -200 relations with everyone! Also in someway danubiancossack will be represented on this map.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

To my mind, EU4 doesn't seem as easily able to modularly "expand" as CK2. With CK2 it was easy to make DLC that would enable factions, but in EU4 all factions begin as playable.

Even if you added game features, that were present within the game, but not "useable", what would happen in Multiplayer? You might have 5 players with access to the feature, and 3 who don't. Deactivating the feature for the 3 who don't have the DLC will make the 5 who have it annoyed, as they enjoy the DLC. In this circumstance, maybe players should be granted temporary access to a DLC if a host has it?

CK2 uses the hosts DLC unless that DLC is cosmetic.
There is no reason for that to change.

I like the expansion model. Expansions seem to give the games more depth, while DLC's just give more options. Maybe it's just the nature of CK2, but the DLC's seem so shallow.

I like the expansion model. Expansions seem to give the games more depth, while DLC's just give more options. Maybe it's just the nature of CK2, but the DLC's seem so shallow.
the thing with the expansion model though is that you're required to buy them in a chain, while with the dlc model you can just mix and match features you want.
at least that's how the devs have repeatedly described and defended it in the past.
at the very least, the modular-DLC model benefits in the sense that even if you personally DON't buy any dlc, the mechanics nonetheless find themselves in-game for free (which then again maybe good or bad depending on your intents and perspectives).
though CK2's dlc releases far have proven slightly underwhelming so far - aside from custom events and mechanics, decadence for muslims, factions and retinues for byzzies, and trade-post/patricians for republics, not much has significantly changed in the core game mechanics so far which does present questions as to how this system could work for EU4.

I imagine that's what it will be. Overhauls to systems (colonization, HRE, etc) will be big DLCs, more dynamic events for countries will be littler DLCs.

Dlcs in ck 2 are cosmetic or let you play with new factions. New features which affect everybody are contained in patches. If they wouldnt work like thta people wouldnt be able to play multiplayer, as they would have different features in their games.

Anyway, I think expansions are better, but well, lets see

That's actually exactly what will happen. All of the actual Code of the DLCs is contained in the patches, just some features are not 'unlocked' unless you have the DLC Active. For instance with Sword of Islam, the Decadence was added in the patch, but you couldn't play as Muslims without the DLC, so although even without the DLC your Muslims would still play with the new rules, you couldn't. When it comes to Multiplayer, the Server Host decides what DLCs to use, and everyone uses those, even if the individual user hasn't purchased them.

As for EUIV, probably exactly the same. Major new Game Systems, like Factions from CK2, will be made available for everyone via the patch, while Flavour, in this case giving DHEs and Custom NIs (which I will remove, haha) will only be available if you have the DLC.

The best of All the Worlds.

I do not like the CK2 DLC system. The result is that you always have a new game, but you never have a patched game. Things get fixed, but at the same time experimental things are added. So really it is up to chance whether or not the game will be balanced at any given time.

I do not like the CK2 DLC system. The result is that you always have a new game, but you never have a patched game. Things get fixed, but at the same time experimental things are added. So really it is up to chance whether or not the game will be balanced at any given time.

When have Paradox's games have been balanced anyways?