• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 21 - The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend

The news of the successful campaign never reached Emperor Felipe. With the death of his eldest son, the emperor had refused to eat and developed an uncurable disease. The day before the news arrived, he succumbed to his disease and passed away. His son, only 6 years old at the time, was simply too young to rule over the empire. A regency council was necessary to govern the large expanding empire. However, there were oppositions to the new heir, José.

chapter21a.png

A pretender, whose name has long been forgotten, took up arms believing that he was destined for the throne of Spain. Yet, the imperial army wasted no time putting down such a minor convenience. With the death of the pretender, José had no more opposition and only needed to learn how to rule the empire. The regency council, holding most of the power, ensured that the empire continued to run with efficiency. The people of Spain were enjoying a period of peace until a nearby neighbor decide to ruin the moment.

chapter21b.png

The regency council prepared an emergency meeting. The previous emperor had warned the Ottomans from starting any ways as he feared they will continue to get stronger. The council, knowing full well the consequences if they let the Ottomans run free, decided to take charge in the war.

chapter21c.png

With the successful campaign in Western Africa, the empire was able to spare a lot more troops to Egypt. Therefore, Spain was in a much better position this time to handle the Ottomans. When the Ottomans received new of Spain's intervention in the war, they decided to focus all their forces against the Jalayirids in hope to eliminating them from the war. This was a big mistake as the Spanish troops were quick to take advantage. With their newly developed firearms, the Spanish steamrolled their enemy. Soon, the Ottomans realized that defeat was inevitable and decided to accept a peace with minor losses.

chapter21d.png

Chapter 22 - Eager to Prove His Worth

The year 1539 saw the new emperor, José, take the throne. Unlike his predecessors, José appeared too average. His tutors, tried as they may, were able to make him great. The rise of a pretender during the regency council was another sign that people haven't yet accepted him as emperor. To make matters worse, he was young. He lacked influence and experience. There were even rumours that some of the nobles wished the regency council to stay around longer.

chapter22a.png

Traditions cannot be broken and thus no one openly opposed the rise of the emperor. Now, the young emperor needed to prove his worth and he decided to do so through military conquests. The previous conflict with the Ottomans was another sign of the tensions between the two nations. With differing religions and common interests, the two nations were destined to clash. José wished to began eliminating this threat. He ordered many troops to set sail for Syria to prepare for a new war. The generals' appetite for war wasn't satisfied in the last war against the Ottomans. They hoped that they get to see some real action this time. With the troops ready in Syria, the first crusade against the Ottomans has begun.

chapter22b.png

Unlike the last war, the Ottomans have learned to harness the power of gunpowder. They were in a position where they can take on the Spanish troops on even ground and still win. However, the Ottoman empire was in trouble at the time. Internal problems has resulted in many rebellions. Nearby orthodox nations like Bulgaria and Byzantium saw their opportunity to expand their own borders. While the Spanish troops did see some action, the Ottomans were simply too preoccupied to send all their forces at Spain. After many quick sieges, the Ottomans agreed to cede of their provinces in hopes of dealing with the other problems.

chapter22c.png

The young emperor decided to see the new lands his empire has taken. It was here when he heard of distant lands called India. A nation called Delhi have been slowly expanding in the region. Some even said that Delhi was both larger and richer than Spain. José vowed that he would reach India one day. First, he must make sure that the Ottomans would no longer be a threat to his empire.

chapter22d.png

Chapter 23 - Securing Syria and Anatolia

The years passed quickly for the young emperor. Before he knew it, five years have passed and the second crusade against the Ottomans has begun.

chapter23a.png

Times had indeed changed for Spain. The once feared Golden Horde is now a mere shadow of its former self. Their armies, undisciplined and backwards, hinder the Ottomans more than they can aid. Spain, however, only had its eyes set in Anatolia. Anatolia is positioned in a very important location. If the Spanish could control this region, other European will have a much tougher time expanding eastwards. The Ottomans currently acquired their wealth and men from this region and, should they lose much of it, they can no longer be of any threat to the Spanish. For the Turks, the five years was more than enough for them to solve their internal problems. This time, the Spanish generals had a tough war ahead of them. The Turks were determined to protect their capital, Istanbul. In more than one occasion, the Ottomans won great victories in Bursa and Bithynia. The emperor, determined to win this war, sent more troops and recruited new generals. The Turkish army, after and the constant battles, were finally defeated as they tried to retreat back to Istanbul. The Spanish troops then began siege and victory was soon theirs. After 9 years of heavy resistance from the Ottomans, Spain has won a decisive war which will forever weaken the Ottomans.

chapter23b.png

The emperor felt that, before he can head for India, he must strengthen his control of Syria region. The nation Syria was still quite strong and can be a major problem. Therefore, a few months after the victory over the Ottomans, Spain finds itself in another crusade. Syria, previously guaranteed by the Ottomans, is now without any powerful allies. They tried but the Spanish was just too powerful. 4 months into the war, Syria agreed to a treaty that would practically remove them from the map.

chapter23c.png

chapter23d.png

Another 5 years passed and Spain begun its third and final crusade against the Ottomans. Unlike the previous two crusades, this crusade had the sole purpose of opening the Middle East to Spain. The Ottomans, heavily outnumbered and without any allies, weren't even a challenge this time. Only a few months passed and Spain got the provinces they wanted. Now, the emperor was only a step away from India.

chapter23e.png

chapter23f.png

Yay the thrilling conclusion is almost here! Also can you post some maps of what is going on? It's a bit hard to picture it all in my head.

Chapter 24 - Ramming Down the Gate to India

The Middle East has opened up to Spanish conquest and the emperor wasted no time at all to began his crusades. His first victim was the Persians who has been in a long conflict with their neighbors, Muzaffarids. The two nations have been fighting for almost a decade and neither side have gained the upper hand. In their current weak state, the Persians were simply easy picking for Spain. Before long, the Persians agreed to a humiliating loss and ceded much of their territory.

chapter24a.png

chapter24c.png

During the crusade against Persia, the Spanish emperor enacted a bill that would change history. The Bill of Rights, the first of its kind, was born in Spain. In an empire filled with people of all cultures and religions, the emperor has taken a step towards guaranteeing the rights of all its citizens. The tolerance for heretics and heathens was unheard of in Europe at the time. Spain, destined for greatness, decided to be the first.

chapter24b.png

Soon after the peace treaty with Persia, Spain began its crusade against the Muzaffarids. They, like the Persians, have been severely weakened by the war. The Muzaffarids suffered the same fate as the Persians with the Spanish even closer to India.

chapter24d.png

chapter24e.png

The Spanish Juggernaut kept rolling. Any nation that stood between Spain and India was destined to feel the might of the great empire. The next nation to fall victim to Spain was Durrani. They were the final obstacle for the Spain and the Spanish emperor showed no mercy. Hardly a year has passed before the Spanish Juggernaut rammed down the gates to India. Land and riches awaited them.

chapter24f.png

chapter24g.png

Update 3

I must apologize beforehand. I got so carried away with the wars that I forgot to take screenshots in my war with Delhi until the final one. Therefore, I will be giving a final update.

update5a.png

As you can see, Spain became the victor. As for the rebels, it's partly my fault :p. They are really overpowered when I destroyed much of Delhi's main army. Delhi is now pretty broken and Spain looks destined to control India.

update5bahci.png

Not a surprised that the Chinese nation leads in income. I'm happy with being second but that may not be the case anytime soon (you'll find out why soon enough ;)).

update5c.png

Great Spain has the greatest army. About time, I'd say.

update5d.png

I know. My navy sucks. Something has to give in if I want the most powerful army.

update5e.png

My missionaries can't keep up with my conquests. Spain should be able to spare a few years for them to catch up.

update5f.png

Having the richest COT but I don't control the monopoly? This is an outrage! :mad:

update5g.png

Current world affairs. I don't care about any of them except one: War of Bohemian Aggression.

Conclusion

After 218 years, Spain grew from a medium power called Castille to a mighty empire that links Europe to India. Her journey began with two simple personal unions with Portugal and Aragon. With the entire Iberian peninsula under their control, Castille turned her sights on northern Africa and Egypt. This growing power soon found herself fighting its survival against the powerful French-English alliance. While the war ended in a white peace, France was, in hindsight, forever weakened. Soon after the major conflict, Castille began her new chapter as the mighty Spain. Avoiding European politics, Spain began her expansion into West Africa against many primitive nations. Soon, the rumours of the riches in India reached the Spanish emperor. Before the move to India can be made, Spain took on the Ottomans in three crusades and severely weakened the once feared Muslim empire. The route eastwards was without any obstacles as the Spanish didn't find a single nation capable of standing up against them. Reaching India, there was one final obstacle called Delhi that stood in the Empire's way. Despite their numbers, the army of Delhi cannot win against the might Spanish army or the rebels. And so, India and the Middle East are now:

update6a.png

Looking back at Europe, Sweden, France and England have all begun their fight for the new world. While the riches of the new world seemed alluring, Spain had riches of Asia within their grasp. At first, there seemed to be no nation capable of challenging Spain. However, ...

update6b.png

...Spain finds a new enemy. One that will challenge her dominance in the world. One that makes all other nations tremble.

update6c.png

The Holy Roman Empire is now only a step from being unified. Bohemia, a nation that has lay low in the shadows, has finally showed her true colours.

update6d.png

Above is the world map.

Yes! You reached India! But in the mean time a new enemy has arisen to challenge your power in Europe, if the HRE is united and were to say... form an alliance with Sweden that would be a truly frighting enemy for Spain to face!

Yes! You reached India! But in the mean time a new enemy has arisen to challenge your power in Europe, if the HRE is united and were to say... form an alliance with Sweden that would be a truly frighting enemy for Spain to face!

Yup, things have gotten interesting. However, it's too bad I'm ending this AAR. I want to thank everyone that spent time reading this AAR. I know I'm not the best writer but it's always nice getting people reading and, occasionally, commenting. For those that can tolerate my writing, please feel free to follow my Bengal, Langobards and my third (nation undetermined) AARs.