• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(525096)

Recruit
1 Badges
Jul 17, 2012
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
John Pinette, if you don't know, is the voice actor for Ba'al Abaddon in this game. I have yet to see any forum or media proclaiming that fact so I decided to make this thread for people who want to give a shout out for john and his brilliant work.

Well, there's no accounting for taste. You can't get everyone to like everything- especially humor. You will always have a few that love it to death and a few that cringe when they hear it, but at least it gets people talking either way. As far as I can tell, the reviewers that didn't like the acting either didn't "get" the (admittedly quirky and off-the-wall) humor or just didn't like the game overall, so it's easy for them to just keep kicking while they're at it.

Besides Pinette (who was recorded in NYC and directed by yours truly), we had the some of the same voice directors and actors that worked on several recent huge AAA games released by a certain large French publisher and even recorded in the same studio in Montreal. We're talking about cream-of-the-crop people. (And before someone comments about "spending budget/time on voice acting over gameplay" or something let's just say that we had a big bout of luck more than money when we arranged the VO recordings.)

Pinette has been my personally favorite comic for a few years and he was the first thing I heard when we started talking about the voice of Baal. He has this thing in his standup show where he often refers to his "cherub-like demeanor" and it just fed right into the character perfectly. The recording was a dream to do because John (and all the actors really) were right on cue with the tone and situations in the dialog. Another favorite of mine is the voice of Velvet in the last chapter- it's like hearing Baal have conversations with Fraser Crane or Sideshow Bob!

I'm usually extremely picky about dialog in games that I play and it's one area of Impire that I'm especially happy with.

Completely agree with you. I see it as very poor reviewing etiquette. There's a big difference between the quality of the voice acting, and the script of the dialogue. While the script would be open for debate and personal taste, the quality of the acting is NOT. I've seen a lot of games over the course of history, and this voice acting is top shelf.

If you, at any point in time, get back in touch with whatever contacts you had to extort to get "lucky", do pass on compliments for a job well done.

On a sidenote, I fondly recall the legacy of Kain series in regards to sublime voice acting.

I am enjoying the campaign in coop, no issues so far!

The other player said "This is how story telling should be in other so-called RPG's", as if a game like this you wouldn't expect a good story and you should expect one in pure rpg. We are really enjoying the delivery and the lines.

We also feel Oscar is Billy Joel after a real bender.

Last edited:
I love John Pinette's work, and absolutely love the voicing he's done for Impire. All the VA is fantastic. The thing with the humour, is even when dodgy, that becomes part of its charm, imo. I enjoyed the game but at first thought... 'This (humour) is horrible', which quickly transcended horrible and became 'This is awesome!!!!'. Genuinely enjoying it now, wish the devs the best and hope it becomes a cult classic.