• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This mod looks great, but as ever, I'm torn - do I try it out, or stick with CORE (which I know best)? For most games you could just try both, but for AoD, even playing one game is a major investment! How do they compare, if anyone's tried both?
I haven't properly tried CORE, but this mod is great if you want to play 'vanilla' AoD but with a much better AI, many interesting events and several more countries (including India). The improvements Lord Jarski has done to the AI cannot be over-stated, he's edited every single AI file, making it great fun to play on both single and multi-player.

Also, I'm confused about the mention of AoD 1.09. I thought 1.08 was the most recent?
1.08 is the latest release. But there are already plans for a 1.09, Pang Bingxun has already showed some of his changes here

I haven't properly tried CORE, but this mod is great if you want to play 'vanilla' AoD but with a much better AI, many interesting events and several more countries (including India). The improvements Lord Jarski has done to the AI cannot be over-stated, he's edited every single AI file, making it great fun to play on both single and multi-player.

1.08 is the latest release. But there are already plans for a 1.09, Pang Bingxun has already showed some of his changes here

That's interesting, thanks for your response. In a way, I feel that CORE is just vanilla-but-better as well (although, to be fair, they've made their own different design choices in some crucial areas). As the community is already so small (compared with some games), surely it would make more sense for all these types of mods to be combined and developed together? I know that way of doing things is quite common in other franchises, such as the various DarthMods for the Total War series. Just a though!

Thanks for the link to the 1.09 thread. I guess this will just be a patch for the soft coded components of the game?

That's interesting, thanks for your response. In a way, I feel that CORE is just vanilla-but-better as well...
I disagree, but probably just a preference thing, as I would probably emphasis this more then you probably would:
(although, to be fair, they've made their own different design choices in some crucial areas).
This mod has kept 'truer' to 'vanilla' AoD in the sense that only the AI files and event folders have been edited. The build times, tech tree, graphics etc have been left untouched by this mod.
As the community is already so small (compared with some games), surely it would make more sense for all these types of mods to be combined and developed together? I know that way of doing things is quite common in other franchises, such as the various DarthMods for the Total War series. Just a though!
It makes logical sense when the modder's individual interests are not taken into account is probably a 'nice' way to put it. I remember saying DH and AoD should merge into one game, obviously to no avail.

Thanks for the link to the 1.09 thread. I guess this will just be a patch for the soft coded components of the game?
I think your guess is correct, AFAIK Pang edits the 'soft' components of the game while gunman_ (who has disappeared from the AoD forums for the time being) edits the 'hard' components.

All fair points. What I really meant by these being similar mods is that they both have the goal of making better versions of the 1936 scenario, rather than doing something completely different with the game. I appreciate that they are completely different designs though, and, of course, people who want to stick with vanilla definitely deserve better AI.

Personally, I don't think I could go back to vanilla (even a better version thereof) having played CORE; it's not that I agree with everything that they've done, but overall it's a richer experience. Plus there's a lot of balance tweaking, AI work, bug fixing, etc., quite apart from the main design choices they've made.

Anyway, I'm getting quite concious that there's a risk of this thread getting hijacked now! Apologies for the interruption.

Hi! Sorry for the delay of answering, my first post got some message of it being viewed by an administrator before its posted and apparantely it was never posted.

Thanks for the feedback though, I can understand that it feels confusing with all these mods around. But basically I dont consider this an mod, its a scenario for the vanilla game, only thing you need to change between playing this scenario and vanilla scenarios is the AI folder, certainly it changes alot of things but they do not affect the vanilla game, just this scenario.

The main point is compatibility, this is an easily accessible, easily installed, and you can find players for it easily since its essentially the vanilla game. It works well in multiplayer too, actually maybe even better since the AIs have reworked construction plans which really stand out with a human controlling them. I remember CORE being troublesome to play online, though that experience was years ago so I dont know how it is nowadays. CORE has also done alot of work towards being historical, I have discarded some historical accuracy in order for nations to play more up to their strength. For example I am working so that the AIs prefer ministers with strong attributes instead of those historically in power, and concentrate their research/production on few unit types rather than diversifying and going historical production plans just like a human player would.

Just played the Soviet Union and stopped in March of 42. I did a quick check of the political map and noticed that the UK had over run Nat. Spain and all of France. The UK had crossed the Rhine and was deep inside Germany. Didn't see the point of continuing after that.

The good part was that the AI surprised the hell out of me when both Germany and Japan declared war at the same time (Japan had over run Nationalist China earlier in the game). Didn't stop the Japanese till they had taken most of Siberia. I knocked out Finland early in the war, but this huge German army flooded out of Norway and I just barely got this stopped in central Finland. So this part of the game was very good and taxing with all this happening to the Soviet Union.

The bad part was that I don't think the Axis did a good job supporting Spain or garrisoning France. The USA was barely in the war, so it was all the British. The Italians just sitting in Italy proper and not doing a thing in North Africa may have let the UK have to much freedom to do what they wanted.

If you need further info just let me know.

The bad part was that I don't think the Axis did a good job supporting Spain or garrisoning France. The USA was barely in the war, so it was all the British. The Italians just sitting in Italy proper and not doing a thing in North Africa may have let the UK have to much freedom to do what they wanted.
Italy keeping its troops in Italy is WAD. There is little point in it fighting in North Africa anyway, it really only needs Gibraltar and Suez. Maybe the Italy AI should try and land at or around Tel Aviv or something instead? Or send more troops to Germany to help them defend their beaches, and their homeland!

I knew about the Italy WAD. I just reloaded the game from Oct 1941. The Spaniards have garrisoned Spain well, but the German garrisoning of the west leaves a lot to be desired.
1. All the beaches in France are not garrisoned and Paris was unoccupied with a 50% partisan level.
2. No beaches were garrisoned in Germany
3. No beaches were garrisoned in Norway

Known issue im afraid, USSR can wield a very large army, which means the Gerrie AI will call in reinforcements from garrison duty, agreed that it shouldnt leave the beaches open but its a difficult task. One cannot just tell the AI to always keep say 1-3 divisions in a certain province at all times. It keeps moving the divisions in and out of garrison duty and front AI often calls in more men, usually they have a reason for it, that being their inability to advance.

Will try to tweak some garrison parameters for next version though.

New release!:

- German AI should now keep garrisons on the Atlantic Wall
- Events for Brazil's 2nd Rubber Boom
- Events for Portuguese and Spanish increase in tungsten production after Barbarossa launches
- Various AI tweaks and fixes
- Added a bunch of slider moving AI events for several nations
- Reshuffled provincial status in North China, Nats now control Beijing area, Shanxi reduced to Shaanxi area and Mengkukuos provinces
- Event that allows Nat. China to invest in Yunnan, giving it a decent boost
- Event for Shanxi concerning Yan Xishans reforms and general state of improvement in the area
- Sinkiang receives Soviet advisors
- Remade several starting infra production schemes for many nations
- Event concerning soviet engineers improving railroads in Sinkiang and Xibei San Ma
- Introduced Mr_Bonarptes edited VP distribution
- Reworked the structure of event files to make it clearer, so expect no change in events for an ongoing game, they will be in after you start a new game, if you dont have ongoing games, you can delete the old event files at events/Improved as all the newer files are in separate folders, dont do it if you plan on playing an old savegame though!

Just played again as the Russians and was pleased to see the Germans did a credible jobs garrisoning France and the west in general.

Several things appear to be be strange though. Here is the situation as of July 43.
1. The Japanese defeated the Chinese and puppet them.
2. The Japanese declared war on the Soviet Union along with Germany in June 41. Finland did not enter the war though. This was a good decision on the Finns part.
3. The Japanese asked for and was granted a white peace by the Soviet Union a couple of months later.
4. The Japanese went to war with the allies in early 42.
5. The UK has now over run almost all of China. I have played all the HOI games since they first came out and have never seen that. Once again with out the Axis forcing the UK to pay attention to the Middle East they have run rampant.
6. The Indian Army is freaking huge and easily occupies the Japanese and Chinese while the UK just lands forces in Indo China and marches north into China.

Over all it appears to me that the Japanese AI does a very good job against China, but after it wins that war it goes into the crapper. It takes out Tibet and then can not decide to stick with a war against the Soviet Union or a war against the Allies. I would think that with the Nationalist Chinese and all their manpower that a credible threat could be made against India or the USSR.

Hi, good to hear the gerries are garrisoning.

Finland joins the war only if Germany has progressed close enough to Leningrad and Norway is in Axis hands aswell. Otherwise would most likely get overrun.

Japanese dowing USSR can be prevented by placing a single division on every border province, including Mongolia, with Japan-Manchukuo and China, as well as garrisoning all the pacific coasts and the island of Ocha. I feel it enforces a more historical approach to the situation where USSR can keep light garrisons on Japan but cannot evacuate the area completely to Europe.

Japan AI is a strange one, it has ferocity = yes, meaning it should theoratically keep in far forever, but apparantely it doesent stop them from sending peace deals, which they do rather extensively, not sure if that can be edited at all in the AI files.

Strange results for your Japan, in my testgames it usually does considerably better progressing somewhat towards Indian soil, occupies large areas in Indonesia and sometimes even annexes the ANZAC. Perhaps its dow on USSR made them deploy their men in an odd manner, who knows. It rarely manages to crack India though, but thats how it should it. It often gets landed too but usually when the Allies manage a heavy landing in Asia the game is decided one way or another.

/Uploaded a new imp.rar with following small changes:

- Reworked UKs, Turkeys, Argentinas, Perus, Siams and Czechs starting infra/ic constructions
- Gave UK another convoy serial at start
- Tweaked UK and Canada garrison AI
- Tweaked some events AI chances

Last edited:
New version uploaded!

Changes:

- Japanese Yamato-class battleship events are working again
- Some more changes and optimizations to various nations starting constructions
- New AIs and AI events for Quebec, CSA, California, Texas and fascist Canada
- Changes to UK naval behaviour, should now keep more ships in the Atlantic
- Various other minor AI fixes/changes
- Incorporated the very latest of Pangs 1.09 changes to events and scenario files
- Altered the Vemork plant event, it now increases the skill of German nuclear techteams instead of giving a nuclear plant and a blueprint
- Bulgaria side switching event now requires it to be at war with Soviet Union
- Soviet, American and British AI now liberate China and CHC, if they kill off the Japanese puppet China
- Japanese surrender event now also triggers if its in war with CHC in case Soviets have liberated it

EDIT:

- Fixed an id!

Last edited:
Hi

This mod looks really interesting so giving it a go - thanks for your efforts.

Quick question though....

I have:
A clean 1.08 install
Copied in the latest (no. 13) 1.09 patch
Then finally copies in the IMP mod

However i still get the 1.09 checksum (ZEDF) and the game says its version 1.08 - is this correct? Or have i messed up my install?

many thanks

Another quick question:

Its July 1936 and playing as GER and Italy and Hungary have joined my alliance (with no influencing) - i think Hungary actually joined as early as Feb 36. Is this all WAD?

thanks

Another quick question:

Its July 1936 and playing as GER and Italy and Hungary have joined my alliance (with no influencing) - i think Hungary actually joined as early as Feb 36. Is this all WAD?

thanks
That is WAD. Hungary can join the Axis as soon as possible, while Italy can join as soon as it puppets Ethiopia. Assumably, a human Italy or Hungary would do the same, for the blueprints, and also so the human Germany can MC them and organise their forces as they wish.

However i still get the 1.09 checksum (ZEDF) and the game says its version 1.08 - is this correct? Or have i messed up my install?

Hey! I think that the 1.09 "patch" does not change the .exe, so the version number remains the same even if you have installed 1.09, it only alters some softcoded files, like events, scenarios, techfiles and so on. Your installation should be just fine.

Also do note that 1.09 is not necessary to play this scenario, though recommended as the changes in 1.09 are very nice.

And aye, Hungary joining Axis early on is WAD.

Hope you enjoy the scenario and do comment on it, be it criticism or positive feedback, all is welcome :)

New version uploaded!

- Few bugged events fixed
- Japan AI no longer declares war on Soviet Union if CHC is still around, as for that to happen, most chances are Soviet Union has attacked Japan and liberated CHC
- Added Iceland to the triggers for USA gearings
- Netherlands AI now attaches AA to its new ships rather than radar equipment
- Events concerning british sabotage operations against german heavy water production are now in, with some tweaks to the old event
- More AI events to make certain nations drop their neutrality if they are dowed
- Indian AI no longer researches aircrafts or doctrines for them
- Gave naval brigade constructions to nations with a starting fleet, meant to help AIs since they cannot disband or sell their old ships, so might aswell make them a bit tougher with brigades
- Gave India some starting IC constructions, they now achieve 80 base IC well before 41
- Also reworked Indian minister and national idea events a bit so they change them when they get in war to ones that dont boost their already exhaustingly large IC
- Added an event that changes Soviet capital to Kubyshev after Moscow has fallen, and another event that moves it from Kubyshev to Sverdlovsk if it falls
- Edited the Nat.Chinas industry transfer event so it transfers VPs together with IC aswell, thanks to Mr_B0narpte
- Mr_B0narptes VP distribution updated

New update!

- Fixed a broken Vichy related event
- Removed air assembly from Indian AI teching
- Added an event to Vichy France that moves its capital to Vichy if its not there
- Added a new set of political/SCW related events for Republican Spain, as well as edited the vanilla events to be more realistic, gracias to Urko for doing it!
- Added slightly customized AIs for all the nations UK can liberate at the start aswell as Mozambique and Angola
- Afganistan AI now heavily researches land doctrines
- Republican Spain has got alot fewer infra serials at start
- Added some slider/minister changing events to Persia, Afganistan and Turkey
- Removed a bunch of starting techs for India, to make them have a more realistic setup

Sorry if stupid question (i had no time to read all the thread), but is this going to be included in official 1.09 ?
I added some forts of Stalin Line, which i didn't see in this mod files. I haven't try it yet.

Code:
province = { id = 188 landfort = 1 }
province = { id = 200 landfort = 1 }
province = { id = 201 landfort = 1 }
province = { id = 1874 landfort = 1 }
province = { id = 212 landfort = 2 }
province = { id = 221 landfort = 1 }
province = { id = 272 landfort = 1 }
province = { id = 240 landfort = 1 }
province = { id = 227 landfort = 2 }
province = { id = 228 landfort = 2 }
province = { id = 238 landfort = 1 }
province = { id = 231 landfort = 1 }
province = { id = 232 landfort = 1 }
province = { id = 233 landfort = 1 }
I've put this into provinces.inc (\1936)