• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Arabia:
West Africa (update):
[/URL]

Africa looks fine now. Are the small coast provinces in the west now good clickable?

Arabia:

Do you want to make Oman reachable by foot? Some other maps did this only by sea, but i like it by foot more.

Personally i never liked the northern desert on the Arabian Pensulina, it always looks to swallow the provinces of Syria and Mesepotamia. But i know it is a desert and should not be crossable, too bad there is no other solution...

Before finalizing the drawing, I thought it would be a good idea to start exhibiting detailed region-by-region previews in case some ideas emerge. The first preview is my favourite state for this period - France.

View attachment 85832

Most province names follow the convention used in 18th century maps like this one.

In terms of provinces that never appeared in the traditional maps, we have Touraine, Labourd and Basse Navarre. Brittany is back to three provinces. There will be no access to Iberia from Bearn, Gascogne, and Foix. The wrong-cultured provinces of Labourd, Basse Navarre (Basque) and Rossello (Catalan) will be the only mountain passes to Iberia.

ProvinceCityPort
Isle de FranceParis
CauxRouenLe Havre
NormandieCaenCherbourg
PicardieAmiens
ChampagneReims
BourgogneDijon
NivernoisNevers
BourbonoisMoulins
AuvergneClermont
RouergueRodez
QuercyCahors
LimousinLimoges
BerryBourges
TouraineTours
AnjouAngers
MaineLe Mans
PoitouPoitiers
SaintongeLa RochelleLa Rochelle
GuyenneBordeauxBordeaux
LabourdBayonneBayonne
GascogneAuch
Basse NavarreSaint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
BearnPau
FoixFoix
RossellóPerpignanPort-Vendres
ToulouseToulouse
LanguedocMontpellier
ProvenceMarseilleMarseille
DauphineGrenoble
ComtatAvignon
LyonoisLyon
BresseBourg-en-Bresse
Franche-ComtéDole → Besançon
BarroisBar
LorraineNancy
Trois-ÉvêchésMetz
NantaisNantesNantes
Haute BretagneRennesSaint-Malo
Basse BretagneBrestBrest

Africa looks fine now. Are the small coast provinces in the west now good clickable?

Arabia:

Do you want to make Oman reachable by foot? Some other maps did this only by sea, but i like it by foot more.

Personally i never liked the northern desert on the Arabian Pensulina, it always looks to swallow the provinces of Syria and Mesepotamia. But i know it is a desert and should not be crossable, too bad there is no other solution...
Yes, I sacrificed realism for clickability.

I'm not sure about the Arabian peninsula and whether Oman should be reachable by foot. I'm trying to remove PTI where possible as its bright white colour in-game is truly an eyesore but alternatives for the interior of Arabia are not easy to come by.

France looks just beautiful. I like the shape of the provinces very much, great work!

Yes, I sacrificed realism for clickability.

I'm not sure about the Arabian peninsula and whether Oman should be reachable by foot. I'm trying to remove PTI where possible as its bright white colour in-game is truly an eyesore but alternatives for the interior of Arabia are not easy to come by.

Yes its not easy i know that. I would make the sea provinces, oman included completly reachable by foot. But with the interoir of Arabia, i dont think there is a alternative way beside PTI....

I am very interested and excited for further previews! Thanks for your hard work! :)

Next preview is Britain.

View attachment 85910

ProvinceCityPort
ENGLAND AND WALES
EssexLondonLondon
East AngliaNorwichYarmouth
KentCanterburyDover
WessexSouthampton → PortsmouthPortsmouth
DevonExeterExeter
CornwallPlymouthPlymouth
GloucesterBristolBristol
MidlandsCoventry → Birmingham
NottinghamNottingham
LincolnLincoln?Boston?
YorkYork → LeedsHull
LancasterLancaster → ManchesterLiverpool
NorthumberlandNewcastleNewcastle
WalesCarmarthen
SCOTLAND
LowdenEdinburghLeith
ClysdaleGlasgowGlasgow
FifeDundeeDundee
The MounthAberdeenAberdeen
ArgyllInveraray
The HielandsInvernessInverness
The MairchesDumfriesDumfries
Northren IslesKirkwallKirkwall
Wastren IslesStornowayStornoway
IRELAND
The PaleDublinDublin
UlaidhCarrickfergusCarrickfergus
Tir EoghainDungannon → LondonderryLondonderry
ConnachtGalwayGalway
MhumhainCorkCork
LaighinWexfordWexford

The arrow signifies city changes. Portsmouth takes over Southampton at some point in the 16th century. Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester take over the former county towns in the 18th century by virtue of their industry and population. Londonderry takes over Dungannon (Dún Geanainn, the main stronghold of the the O'Neills) after the plantation of Ireland.

I'm not sure what to do with Lincoln. In the early modern period, Lincoln essentially became a one-street town and Lincolnshire, overall, was very thinly populated. Ports in The Wash like Boston and King's Lynn (though the last technically falls in East Anglia) also declined in importance. What I could is merge Lincoln with Nottingham and rename it to East Midlands. Midlands would then be renamed to West Midlands.

I decided to split Devon and Cornwall to represent Cornish culture and the thriving tin-mining industry. Cornwall was extended slightly eastwards to include Plymouth (which technically falls under Devon) because Plymouth controlled the trade of Cornwall. Additionally, England needs as many ports as possible to simulate and stimulate its historical naval supremacy.

Scotland has 9 provinces compared to England's 14 (13 if Nottingham and Lincoln are merged). They will be poorer of course but quantity alone should increase the probability of Scotland surviving up to the Act of Union. Scottish province names are (or should be) in Old Scots and the Irish ones are in Gaelic (except for The Pale).

In terms of cultures in Scotland The Hielands, Argyle and the Wastren Isles will be Gaelic, the Northern Isles Norse (it should switch to Scots at some point) and the rest Scots (or Scottish). I'm quite unsure about Argyle, whether Inveraray is suitable for a city and whether there should be a port in the region. As far as I know Inveraray was merely a small town around the Duke's castle. On the other hand I do not want to merge it with Clydsdale (like in the other map mods) as that would disrupt the Highland-Lowland cultural split. I might merge it with the Hielands even if the region would probably look quite odd.

Last edited:
Great work! Very nice that you found a proper French spelling from ancien régime. Glad that you continue to work on the project.

I am absolutely sure that when you will finalise technical part of the map creation, there will be quite enough people to help you with events and similar stuff conversion. At last I would be interested to help you. This is a classical Paradox game and it will always have a small but dedicated base of players.;)

Last edited:
I think Isle of Man should be a separate province, because until 1504 the ruler of Isle of Man used title of King (since 1399 Isle of Man was a vassal of England). In 1504 King Mann dropped the "king" title and became the Lord of Mann. Eventually in 1765 Charlotte Murray sold the suzerainty of the island to the British government for £70,000 and an annuity of £2,000. Therefore I think that existence of the province "Isle of Man" and the "Kingdom of Mann" is justifiable.

(BTW I would also make a separate province form Bornholm because this island wasn't exclusively attached to Denmark.)

I think I can try do something like this, but I'll need some blank topographic maps in high resolution - for example: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Topographic_map_of_South_America.jpg
And, of course, if the layer has to be like this on the picture, the terrain overlay will be visible on every map mode (political, economic, etc.), not only on terrain-mode (modifying *.tbl files). I'm not sure, but I think that terrain overlay visible only on terrain-map mode requires separate *.bmp graphics for almost every land province :blink:

I think I can try do something like this, but I'll need some blank topographic maps in high resolution - for example: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Topographic_map_of_South_America.jpg
And, of course, if the layer has to be like this on the picture, the terrain overlay will be visible on every map mode (political, economic, etc.), not only on terrain-mode (modifying *.tbl files). I'm not sure, but I think that terrain overlay visible only on terrain-map mode requires separate *.bmp graphics for almost every land province :blink:
Do you require the projection of the blank topographic maps to match precisely with the projection of the map? That might be a problem.

Why PTI at areas, where Mali should be?
There isn't any PTI where the Mali Empire and its successors should be (Timbuktu, Jenne, Khasso, Segu, Bamako, Bambuk, Bure, etc.). In any case the current map is slightly different from the preview shown here. There is less PTI in Western Africa as I added provinces like Aoudaghost and Ouadane.

Do you require the projection of the blank topographic maps to match precisely with the projection of the map? That might be a problem.

Yep, outlines on game map never precisely match to those on geographical maps. But some scaling and deforming in graphic editor might solve the problem :cool: First I need to find this topographic stuff - high definition maps for every continent.

Btw, looking forward for another map-previews, Therion :p

Here's a preview of Africa. Instead of PTI I thought it best to use "wastelands" modelled using inaccessible and resourceless provinces with 0 tax and MP having appropriate terrain e.g. desert for Sahara, jungle for Central Africa, mountain for Himalayas, etc.

View attachment 90208

Does anyone want to help with the remaining parts of the map (mostly Asia and the Americas)? From next month I'll be on a tight study schedule so I will likely not have any time for research and drawing. However I can still take care of all the technical aspects (ID assignments, shading generation, and all magellan-related work).