• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(95044)

Gentleman
13 Badges
Mar 19, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Pillars of Eternity
Its awfull, tiresome micromanagement. :mad: I hate how you have to check it all the time and how you can get in situations where you lose a country from your sphere and you are powerless to stop it since mutiple counries try to push you out at the same time. I can expell one country , but an other country ends up pushing me out. It was tolerable before, but now I am playing as Austria and am trying to unite Germany. I have to simultaneously keep all german states in my sphere at the same time and it is a pain. :( I have all the countries now(Prussia too which I softened up in a couple of wars) except from Lubeck which Sweden conqured in a debt war. I attack Sweden, but before I can get a peace I lose Prussia to one of the other countries trying to influence it. I will be such a relief when I finally unite Germany and I can stop caring about SOI.

Sorry about the rant, just needed to get that of my chest. :)

First games can be bitchy at this point cuz you need to learn to remember about your SOI nations. AI also tend to be anti-player in terms of influencing SOI of other GP so They like to get influence in countries of player which They would never influence if those countries would be for example in sphere of other AI country or without any sphere. You can easly see this by getting for example Sikkim in your SOI which have the lowest pop in the start of the game, one province and very bad resource (wool I guess) and watching how France, UK, USA, Spain, Italy fight so hard for it. Ofc. in most cases They have no interest in influencing your countries but as soon you get one into SOI They gonna Zerg it.

If you want to stop the AI from trying to steal your spherelings, try to steal their spherelings instead. The Best Defense is a good Offense after all.

Take Austria in 1836. If you put all of your influence on Saxony to keep it away from Prussia, Prussia will also drop tons of influence there. If you instead put your influence on Hanover, Schleswig-Holstein, and, say, Mecklenburg, Prussia will freak out and leave your sphere completely alone until they can manage to ban your ambassadors from all three leaving you free to not bother influencing any of your South German States since France will probably focus on Italy and Belgium first.

Frankfurt is another good target to distract Prussia since neither of you have a land border with them and thus you're on even footing.

Hmm, never thought of trying to countersphere the AI's countries. I have noticed that the AI can be aggresive about trying to defend its SOI so I guess that can be a good idea. I have noticed that the AI can get obsessed about adding a certain country to its sphere. The country can be completely useless, but they will fight tooth and nails to get it. In my game Russia really really wanted Krakow and spent a ton of influence to get it. It would be really good if you could trick the AI to influence a decoy nation that you actually don't care about and leave the rest of your sphere alone.

You should try the "Influence View" in the outliner top-right - with some practice you should able to tell when you are about to lose a country in your sphere.

Otherwise, get to 100 influence also on countries you have sphered. If it accidentally gets unsphered, you can sphere it back and then as soon you have the chance to do it, discredit the country who removed it from your sphere. And get back to 100 influence.

You can also use your influence to decrease the sphereling's opinion of other countries, if they are friendly, so they won't be able to unsphere you.

Last edited:
I also don't like the whack-a-mole SOI system. It doesn't feel much like im influencing nations.. more like I'm just trying to get numbers to go up or down. Something to at least give it a bit more flavour would be nice

I am playing as Two Sicilys and have become a great power. I am trying to remove Papal States from the sphere of France. I have gotten to friendly but every time I get close they ban my embasy.

I am playing as Two Sicilys and have become a great power. I am trying to remove Papal States from the sphere of France. I have gotten to friendly but every time I get close they ban my embasy.
You need to get something like 40 influence points then wait, wait and wait until other GP decide to influence PS and France decide to ban embassy them. But better way is just give up and influence other countries than Italian ones just for future while waiting for Garibaldi's Redshirts occupying one of Italian countries and giving you or SP the oportunity to unify the Italy.

I also don't like the whack-a-mole SOI system. It doesn't feel much like im influencing nations.. more like I'm just trying to get numbers to go up or down. Something to at least give it a bit more flavour would be nice

Thats my feeling aswell. SOI:s are a cool concept, but the implementation of it just makes it feel like busywork.