• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Best Completed AGEOD AAR of 2012

• Who put the stranded admiral in charge?

Votes: 2 13,3%
  • The swans head North

• Death will stand grieving on that field of war

Votes: 3 20,0%
  • The Boshin War: A Short AAR

Votes: 1 6,7%
  • The Mightiest Empires Fall: An Austrian RoP PBEM

Votes: 5 33,3%
  • Burning down the Houses: The War of 1812

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Qorten

Crazy Cat Person. Meow!
121 Badges
Feb 10, 2007
  • Cities in Motion
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Paradox Order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
It is that time of the year again when we look back at the past year and see what number of AARs have been successfully finished. In 2012 there were six AARs reported as being completed in AGEOD AARland, thanks to our esteemed Librarian, loki100.

athinagodess.jpg

Whom of the following six AARs do you like the most and should get the 2012 Golden Aarthena Award?

RuS - Who put the stranded admiral in charge?, by Bornego (MP) as Siberian Whites
RuS - The swans head North, by Bornego (MP) as Southern Whites
RuS - Death will stand grieving on that field of war, by Bornego (MP) as Reds
PoN - The Boshin War: A short AAR, by Kensai7 as Japan
RoP - The Mightiest Empires Fall: An Austrian RoP PBEM, by loki100 (MP) as Austria
WiA - Burning down the Houses: The War of 1812, by loki100/Narwhal (MP) as USA/Great Britain

So, reread the AARs listed and decide which one you like best!
The three winners will get praise and congratulations as well as a note in the AGEOD Library, so winning this poll is at least as good as winning the lottery ;)

Voting will close on April 1st.

I voted for Who put the stranded Admiral in charge?. It was the AAR that finally made me feel curious enough to actually try RUS (even if that didn't happen until many months later). If I could've split my votes, I would've picked Burning down the Houses as well, because A) loki and Narwhal always write great, insightful and funny AARs and B) because it continues their habit of creating an introduction to the game at hand. Still, I went with my choice because I prefer the setting of RUS over BOA.

In the end I went with 'Death will stand grieving', incredibly hard to pick, especially from Bornego's trilogy but there is something about the epic scale of the DNO scenario (I panic just opening it) and Bornego's wonderful mastery of his presentation. Problem is his other 2 are equally superb.

So, voting has closed. 15 votes have been cast. Less then half of the amount we had last year (33), but that was to be expected, given that AGEOD and Paradox split up again.

The winners (quite a lot of 'em):

The Golden AARthena for Best Completed AGEOD AAR for 2012 goes to: The Mightiest Empires Fall: An Austrian RoP PBEM, by loki100.

The Silver AARthena goes to: Death will stand grieving on that field of war, by Bornego.

The Pewter AARthena is split amongst: Who put the stranded admiral in charge? and The swans head north by Bornego and Burning Down the Houses: The War of 1812 by loki100 and Narwhal.

Congratulations to loki100 especially and to Bornego and Narwhal.

Thanks to everyone who voted and to everyone keeping this little subforum alive with their AARs and comments. I sincerely hope we'll have enough completed AARs this year so we can hold this competition again next year.

Thanks to everyone who voted and to everyone keeping this little subforum alive with their AARs and comments. I sincerely hope we'll have enough completed AARs this year so we can hold this competition again next year.

Hi

I don't know what Bjorn et al have told the mods but the situation with the AGEOD AARs is that the sub-forum will be first closed for new comments some time soon and then 'archived'. To be fair to BjornB he agreed to talk to AGEOD about some form of thread migration to the AGEOD forum but I've spent a while on the tedious grind of simply copying mine over post by post.

So at some stage soon this AAR forum will be locked for new posts (this has already happened with the main forums) and then disappear.

I think from your comment you think that those AARs will carry on and be replaced by new ones but unfortunately that isn't the case. So some people are trying to rescue their work, others are hoping the inter-company migration actually takes place and so on. If this doesn't happen then the various 'how to' AARs I wrote with Narwhal will be completely lost as it would need both of us to be on line at the same time and to copy the posts in order to a new thread on the AGEOD forum (ie ain't gonna happen).

After that, I guess if anyone wants to write an AAR using an AGEOD game it will have to go into the OT forum. But in truth the small community of people who played both AGEOD and Paradox games have moved across to the AGEOD forum (hence the very few votes).

Roger

Last edited by a moderator: