• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sinister2202

Most Honorable Dwamak
7 Badges
Aug 12, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron III
What is the challenge in this game primarily?

I played my friend's copy of this game, and I seem to spend most of my time micromanaging my minions than ______. Exactly my point. What else is there to do other than managing your minions, sending them off to eat once in a while, moving each squad individually to defend dungeon and losing/winning. This whole micro thing plus along with the context menus really weren't working. I had objectives to do, but by the time my squad finishes training and eating, heroes and 3 ladders come down and I either end up losing the fight or win. If I do win, they are fed again, and then sent off to the objective/raid. My tactic was to solely rely on the squad structures... because otherwise, how the hell am I gonna manage 16 INDIVIDUAL units, all without a squad? Besides, a squad only has 4 slots after all. And this 4-man army squad aren't even that impressive, they are really weak, no matter what kind of mix of units I have. If I send more than one squad then I would probably dominate most of my opponents. But over all, cool game... However, the feeding part really needs some sort of automation or some sort.. Sending squad-less units off to eat is some horrible sight to watch...

This is another problem, this game needs an actual MARKER. How the hell do I know all the individual soldiers have their armor on? The heroes need a little tagging as well, if you set them to be sent to prison or training room, then it needs to say above their heads or something. I've went through 3 different tests just to figure that part out... (Due to mixture of squad marker command and command on heroes via context menu... really confused me. Had to test if the squad command overrides or if context command overrides...etc)

Well here's what I did to make the game *more* enjoyable.
I disabled ladders entirely as per the steam thread.
This allowed me to build a deep dungeon and lay out traps on the way to my minotaur's throne room, the path to which did not pass any rooms with workers in them to ensure worker safety.
With heroes more or less taking care of themselves, I could ignore the micromanagement nonsense and get to _______.
_____ seems to include sending units on raids until they are level 3, equipping them with the best gear and just advancing the story by sending a large angry gang of 1 Baal and at least 4 (often 5) groups of 4 ultra-elite monsters wherever they were needed.

I feel that the story really is the strongest part of this game, but the story alone is not really enough to justify it as an enjoyable experience, there's still a lot of game that gets in the way.

I have to agree with the OP. I do like this game and it has great potential. but I am part way through chapter 2 and its tedious. Raid, build, ladders, level squad, raid, build, ladders raid... then after all that I can maybe start the objective. After a few battles in the I need to micromanage my squads, teleport back, feed them, deal with more ladders, replace units. So much micromanagement. The screen is pretty busy at times too, I click to hide icons for unused/unneeded rooms but they are still there. Some gameplay tweeks are needed, I seem to have to move over a target several times to get the icon to change to fight/destroy and then click many times for the sqaud to follow orders.
A mini map would also be helpful to quickly navigate back and forth between several ongoing battles
There is so much that can be tweeked to make this a terrific game, I hope to see some great patches.

Disabling ladders should be made an actual option in-game, sort of a relaxed mode. There is really no challenge in fending off the small waves of heroes, no tactical depth. It's just annoying.

Well here's what I did to make the game *more* enjoyable.
I disabled ladders entirely as per the steam thread.
This allowed me to build a deep dungeon and lay out traps on the way to my minotaur's throne room, the path to which did not pass any rooms with workers in them to ensure worker safety.
With heroes more or less taking care of themselves, I could ignore the micromanagement nonsense and get to _______.
_____ seems to include sending units on raids until they are level 3, equipping them with the best gear and just advancing the story by sending a large angry gang of 1 Baal and at least 4 (often 5) groups of 4 ultra-elite monsters wherever they were needed.

I feel that the story really is the strongest part of this game, but the story alone is not really enough to justify it as an enjoyable experience, there's still a lot of game that gets in the way.
Gosh, what points you spend into index Dungeonis I feel like its a constant juggle to afford both minotaur's and monster's den without sacrificing something else rather crucial, been wanting to add things like monster's den just always feel like its use comes secondary to what else on list and my points left :)