• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
IX: Joffrey
...​

Like magic, the tension that had enveloped King’s Landing during the last few months was gone. Tales of victory were aplenty and food was arriving from Rosby. It would seem that if one is to control a crowd and city all one needs is bread and wine: Magic.

The procession for Lord Tywin’s victory was quite the event. The streets of the capital were clogged with ragged men and tattered women. The same ragged and tattered that had made it burn. There were petals and music, laughs and sighs as the golden host entered the city. No matter that the plan, the troops, the movements, the supply routes, that all the strings pulled and pushed, all that had made the triumph possible, had been organised by others.

Petals were still thrown, like magic.

Because that day, Tywin Lannister was a hero.

Forget the crimes, the murders, the sack during the Rebellion. No. Forget them all. Because that day, Lord Tywin had killed enough men, killed enough of them, to be more than a killer, than a murderer, than a monster. A hero was above such notions.

And with the hero named, the stories needed more characters; more magic!

Because the king was certainly mad! A mad puppet, whose strings where pulled by an evil monkey, a deformed monkey with mismatched eyes! A better tale already, one that could be sung in halls and festivals: it had some magic!

Forget the defeats at Darry. Forget how better the war - the song! - would be going had the hero listened to the orders of the mad king and the evil monkey.

Music was still played, like magic.

The irony of the parade had quite the impact on the young king. A fierce, physical impact in the form of raging storms and bleeding minds. A pain the king was not alone in suffering.

Joffrey did not remember his Hand half as bitter, half as mad, even if the halfman spent little and littler time with his king. The dwarf had seen fit to spend his week consorting with whores. Or one whore in particular, if the Spider’s whispers were to be trusted.

Only the whispers, not the man. Never that man.

His mother had also found someone to warm her sheets, it would seem. Some cousin of his. An unimpressive looking whelp that would soon have a discussion with his king. Joffrey had more than enough brothers and more than enough headaches.

If only their affairs had left them calmer, more agreeable. But no. That would not befit a Lannister. His mother had lounged her fingers and an arm into the crown’s treasury. A scandal in the making when he least needed it. And his uncle had been locked outside the keep, somewhere, for a week, pouting like a child who had been given less sweet bread than its brother.

Spoiled children the both of them; how much they manage to resemble one another, even despite all the loathing one felt for the other.

If only his problems could leave with the same ease as his city’s. Like magic.

King’s Landing looked beautiful that day. No squalor, the filth hidden.

Laughs and sighs still all around, like magic.

Laughs and magic that butchered the kings mind and killed the colours he so loved, until there was only pain, Pain, PAIN.

It took a godforsaken city to throw petals, play music, laugh and sigh at the show presented, to fall for such easy tricks.

But it was Joffrey’s city. And even if the Gods ever want it back, it would still be his. And not even Them would take it from him.

...​

The doors were closed to him. His council’s doors closed. To him.

Who did his grandfather think he was? How dared he to close him off, like what happened on the other side of those doors was of no concern to him, like he was a child with no business playing with crowns.

Who did that men think he was?

The two guards in front of the council’s doors were dressed in Lannister red. Shaking like leafs to the winds. Behind of the King, two of his own guard.

“You are blocking my way.” A hiss.

“W-we” he stuttered but kept firm “apolo-logy your grace. Our lo-rd has commanded that no one is to pass this do-or.” The men managed to speak commanded in one breath. What a clever little pup.

Joffrey reached his arm for Ser Moore. He had been carrying the king’s sword beside his own. He placed the hilt on the king’s hand and pulled the sheath from the sword.

The leaves trembled all the more.

“A mistake I am sure. One would never bar one’s King passage in the King’s own halls.” Joffrey did not ready his sword. Just left it there for the leaves to see. Maybe that had given the leaves some nerve. The man tried again.

“Our Lord gave us order not to be disturb-”

And never got to finish.

The blade flied, too fast, too sudden. It buried itself on the guard’s thigh, deep, and was taken before the man knew what had happened. The king’s Hound had his hand against the second, smashing his head against the wall. Once, twice.

Two sickly cracks and a grown men wailing.

“A mistake.” Joffrey placed his sword over the shoulder, as he explained. The blood shook off from the blade in an arch, painting the king with droplets of red.

The king pointed to the door. He did not see his Hound scowl before opening them. One guard was still screaming, his blood tainting the great castle.

And that was how Joffrey was presented to his grandfather: in Crimson and Screams.

...​

There was little doubt in Joffrey’s mind that there were far too many secret paths that linked the Red Keep to small and unassuming manses throughout the city. There was also little doubt that the paths were not secret enough or the houses unassuming.

Too many people knew of them, as one person was too many. More than one passageway would circumvent the walls of the Keep. They were dangerous, a slaughter in the happening. A threat to address at a later time.

And the manse where his Hand had decided to drink himself to oblivion was anything but inconspicuous. Clean, with fine rugs and thin curtains. He barged in, too quickly to appreciate the statues or marbles.

He found his uncle in bed, inside his whore. Sounds and shapes that he would have gladly died without.

“Up.” His voice broke the room. The girl looked startled at first, but ended smiling, no rush or modesty; all of her was desire and sex.

“What the hells are you doing here?” His uncle however had the grace to cover his form. Not a small blessing.

“I said up. You’ve had your fun, but now I have a kingdom in need of guidance. Girl, help my uncle get dressed. I want him to look as a Hand.” Maybe he was asking miracles of the girl? “... or as much to that extent as possible.” He stepped outside the room and leaned against the stone walls. It became obvious how beautiful the house was, how little there would be missing. The tables set with wine and fruit, fresh even. One just had to ignore the smell of sweat and sex. Joffrey was not very good at that.

“And why are you here, your grace?”

His uncle was drunk. At least Joffrey hoped the damage to his mind would pass when the next morning came.

“I said I have need of you.”

“You have. But why are you here?” Maybe his mind was better than Joffrey gave him credit. A good question indeed. Why was he here?

“Your father decided that my presence was unnecessary to today’s council meeting.” He heard his uncle give a small laugh on the other room.

“A song I would love to hear! How did it end?”

“I stabbed his guard.”

There were no laughs for that. Only the sounds of Tyrion readying himself.

“That must have changed my father’s perception of you. He sounded worried that you might be too...” He hummed, like singing would find him the words “... insane.”

“He did not open the door. A mistake, really. But you should have seen grandfather’s face: he almost frowned.” It was mostly a cold look. A calculating look. Joffrey hadn’t smiled either at their reunion.

“A great accomplishment, your grace.” Tyrion probably had received the same honour as soon as he was born. “Did the man live?”

The guard had bled through the afternoon, his screams piercing the young blonde’s mind even in the distance of the maester’s tower. Even after he bled all he could bleed. Even after dead.

Screams.

Joffrey shrugged, as if the fortune of man so far below himself was of little matter “And also a coded bird landed; Little Finger is to arrive today by boat. My sister is with him.” This was a gamble for the queen’s brother. How much of his involvement did she know?

“And does your mother know?”

“I can’t be sure.” How much of the Spider’s web was also owned by her? “But even if she does not, she will soon know I invited my father’s bastard to court.”

His uncle left his room, dressed. He still looked little like a Hand. Mostly like a dwarf. But then, Joffrey supposed it was hard fact to disguise. His whore left with him, maybe with the thought that the lack of garments would send a better statement.

In a way, it had. The king’s eyes left her form, as if by disinterest: “Is she always looking for new patrons?”

Tyrion did not look pleased himself. “Shae has a rather practical view of life.”

“Your father knows you are keeping her in the city.” The seasoned man had almost reacted when he said so, listing her as one of the many reasons why Tyrion was an inept Hand. “The thought seemed to sour him.”

“He should be happy. He was given the badge back.”

Joffrey reached for one of his pockets and threw the content to his uncle’s chest. Tyrion caught it with difficulty. In his hands the copper brooch.

“The great Lord of the Westerlands will depart soon. Our armies are due south: Stannis is laying siege to Wendwater.”

The Imp’s head was already at work, turning, bending.

“There is much to do then.” He paused “Is my father still at court?”

Joffrey sneered.

“He will not give you to the Others today, uncle.”

But he might try. It might even solve one of Joffrey’s headaches.

Like magic.

Last edited:
Appendix IX
Once again, the girl had fallen asleep first. It might be due to how she had started to demand to accompany her brother to the training fields. No one in the keep could ever deny her. But her brother looked worried. He liked the sight of his loved one so close to metal very little.

The boy was playing with the girls lips, soft tickles, rubs and flicks. He seemed lost on them.

Val said nothing, tried to be nothing. But it would not work. This time she was not even given time to get up from her rocking chair.

“Is that how you see heroes, Val?”

Was it doubt on the lordling’s tone? It was hard for Val to say, when the child’s eyes were fixed on his sister. Even for every nightmare the children gave her, for every memory warped to substitute her demons with their faces, the septa would admit.

The boy loved his sister.

The boy would be a knight. One day, he might even be a great one. Was it fear that the girl would one day see him as Val did? As a threat, danger, monster?

Val should lie. Lies made the world what it was, beautiful, magic.

Instead:

“That is what heroes are.”

Val should have lied. Better a lie than to make a child understand that he would one day be a monster.

For if he had to be a monster, he would be hers.

...​

Welcome back, one and all. A chapter to remind everyone that Joffrey has little love for his grandfather. Not because the man is a ruthless bastard, but because he would not truly bow to Joffrey. He kind of seems to take that personally. I also said Tyrion would keep whores, so there:) one promise kept.

ch9p1.jpg

There was a small battle in King’s Landing, but nothing too important (around 1400 of Lord Massey’s men). (In case you are wondering, 10k of the men are mine, 17k are lord Tywin's.)

ch9p2.jpg

The Crown’s and the Lannister’s army passed by King’s Landing. Stannis was now the target. Expect some stag-hunting related chapters.

Last edited:
Another awesome chapter! Not just in the action, but especially the writing. As is, looks like Joffrey's taking this war! Got the doom-stacks taken care of. All that's left is to stomp all over Stannis. Go Joffrey! - Wait. Ack. You made me like Joffrey! Gah!

Another awesome chapter! Not just in the action, but especially the writing. As is, looks like Joffrey's taking this war! Got the doom-stacks taken care of. All that's left is to stomp all over Stannis. Go Joffrey! - Wait. Ack. You made me like Joffrey! Gah!
Thank you very much:) Really, it makes my day.

But you are aware I just had Joffrey personally kill an innocent man?:p I want you not only to like him, but to hate him too. Hard, I know.

Last edited:
Oh yes, it's a like/super-hate relationship. Just, instead of going "Ah! I want someone to step on that kid's neck and get it over with!" It's more "That ruthless, insane kid! I wonder what kind of crazy antics he'll get up to next?" Everyone loves a good villain-protagonist.

Oh yes, it's a like/super-hate relationship. Just, instead of going "Ah! I want someone to step on that kid's neck and get it over with!" It's more "That ruthless, insane kid! I wonder what kind of crazy antics he'll get up to next?" Everyone loves a good villain-protagonist.
Just so long as we're clear:p
Thank you for the words.

I have just caught up with this AAR. I particurly enjoy this as playing as Joffrey is my favortie thing to due in this mod. Unfortunitly he has a tendincy of dieing on me with in several years of him coming of age, sticking me with Tommen.

I have just caught up with this AAR. I particularly enjoy this as playing as Joffrey is my favorite thing to due in this mod. Unfortunately he has a tendency of dying on me with in several years of him coming of age, sticking me with Tommen.
Much like in the books, that's probably the best thing that could happen to you.:p

Honestly, Joffrey is pretty much custom-made for an exciting short term CK2 game: terrible stats and loathed by pretty much everyone, but powerful enough that you really don't need to spend time forging claims or developing your holdings. Nothing but war, diplomacy, and intrigue until you are once again the only King of Westeros.

Last edited:
I have just caught up with this AAR. I particurly enjoy this as playing as Joffrey is my favortie thing to due in this mod. Unfortunitly he has a tendincy of dieing on me with in several years of him coming of age, sticking me with Tommen.
Can't really say I have that problem... Joffrey usually lives to his fourties in most my games (unless I kill him with fire/drown him/throw him into his death/decapitate him/you get what I'm saying). Stannis, on the hand... Never saw him make to king in any of my games, as he dies on me with one desease or another. (the game from this AAR being the exception to the rule)

The great champion of the light beaten by pneumonia. :excl:The night is dark and full of nasty bugs.:excl:

Thanks for stopping by:) Did you enjoy the latest chapter?
Much like in the books, that's probably the best thing that could happen to you.:p

Honestly, Joffrey is pretty much custom-made for an exiting short term CK2 game: terrible stats and loathed by pretty much everyone, but powerful enough that you really don't need to spend time forging claims or developing your holdings. Nothing but war, diplomacy, and intrigue until you are once again the only King of Westeros.
Playing with Joffrey is one series of wars after another, after another, after another. But a player controlled Joffrey can rather easily mantain the Iron throne.

Still fun:)

What did you all think of the chapter?

I like it, but as I'm a big fan of Tywin, I am pretty much a mark for a chapter about him.

Oddly enough, I think that the Appendix is by far the best bit of writing this chapter. So very much is said about Val's character in so short a space of time. Well done, sir.

EDIT: I just noticed that I said exiting in the last post.:glare:

I enjoyed the chapter.
I have to say, my favorite AGOT game I played was were I played as joffrey, but he died by his kingsguard (I hate that event), I ended up with Tommen, who I married to Arya Stark. I had so much fun imaging that marrage.

I enjoyed the chapter.
I have to say, my favorite AGOT game I played was were I played as joffrey, but he died by his kingsguard (I hate that event), I ended up with Tommen, who I married to Arya Stark. I had so much fun imaging that marrage.

tommen seems a very sweet kid, and arya such a she-wolf, I imagine who would rule the 7 kingdoms

tommen seems a very sweet kid, and arya such a she-wolf, I imagine who would rule the 7 kingdoms
If I remember correctly, I think Tommen had some good stats, at the very least, he had wicked marshal of 25 or something.

Little Finger.

I enjoyed the chapter.
An adorable couple*.* They could bond over kittens!

I like it, but as I'm a big fan of Tywin, I am pretty much a mark for a chapter about him.

Oddly enough, I think that the Appendix is by far the best bit of writing this chapter. So very much is said about Val's character in so short a space of time. Well done, sir.

EDIT: I just noticed that I said exiting in the last post.:glare:
And your mistake will live forever in my quote (*evil laugh*)

The lady and her dwagon bits are always written around an hour before I post the chapter. In comparison, one chapter usually takes around 5 nights to complete and revise, revise, revise. This means that the quality of those are very uneven (with Appendix IV being the worse of the bunch).

Thank you all for the time and comments!

X: Stannis
...​

His brother looked well, in his flowered crown and rich garments. He looked as he did as a child. Like he had all his life, playing hunt around Storm’s End, dodging servants and guards. Behind him an army of children with toy weapons and wooden horses, painted in lively tones, capes in the colours of the Seven’s rainbow.

Vibrant.

He was eating something, mocking.

The boy looked so alive, so whole; he looked right, like he always should have looked.

But it would last until a shadow came, the same shadow, always the same shadow. Stannis knew the shadow well. After all, he saw it every day at his feet.

And as a blade forged from dusk appeared in its hands, the boy just looked back at his brother. As the blade entered his flesh, he just looked. And as blood dripped from his form, wound, mouth, nose, eyes, the boy smiled and took a bite, the sugar mixing with the iron.

Suddenly, Stannis had a sword in his hand.

Then it burned.

God, it burned.

...​

Stannis awoke with a startle, feeling hot, too hot. He left his bed, throwing the linens to the side. It was dark, strangely so even for night time.

His gown was clammy, but his mouth... His mouth felt sweet, sugary.

There should be a small table next to him, he remembered in a burning haze, with watered wine and loaves of bread. Anything to wipe his taste with. And so he reached for it.

His fingers traced the harsh surface of the rough table, his nails burning the wood they touched. He looked for the jar to find none, for the bowl only to miss it. Until his hand found something soft, hot. Fruit. He picked it, only to have it burn his hand.

He looked at it, a piece of his nightmares, a reminder of his crimes.

Stannis threw the ungodly thing, out of his sight, too close to his mind. He could still taste it. Sugar and blood.

His hand was red, blistering, in pain enough to have the proud man cringe.

He ripped part of the blanket, small stripes, that he fastened around it.

Stannis did not return to his bed.

A peach. It would taste of sugar and blood.

...​

The field looked painted in red.

Lines and lines of men, back to back, front to front, slashing, blocking, killing, dying, lines and lines of men.

Watching the battle resolve was mesmerizing. Like staring at a fire. Something primal and comforting. But there was more unfolding that day than simple conflict.

Justice. That was to be a day of justice. A day where flames would shape the earth they licked and fire would burn the traitors that followed the Monster sited in iron.

It was necessary, it was needed, it was right.

And even as his mind wondered, Stannis looked to the fields of red with a trained expression. Battle was hardly a new painting for the one true king of Westeros.

Melisandre was next to him, ahorse, in bright red robes that hugged her form. She looked worried. Unusual in the red priest. She had listened to the battle plans, looked into her fires, as soon as ravens brought word of the Lannister force approaching. Ser Davos had pleaded to retreat. But Stannis would not give the Monster that pleasure.

The battle was necessary, it was needed, it was right.

Melissandre had only said she would be next to her king. No plans of sorcery, only her presence.

She was heat, pure heat. Hotter than warmth, not soothing, a threat, a reminder: bigger things are at play.

He was not to be king to please his ego, to soothe his pride. Winter comes mercilessly. He would be king because he was needed. Because dark things, cold things, dead things were coming and they would need to be ready. Ready to protect the living from Them.

That was his duty: he would be the Fire battling the Night. God’s Fire.

It was necessary, it was needed, it was right.

It was right. It was right. It was right.

And for that, these traitors would burn. To the last knight, to the last man, to the last babe. Burn it all, let the ash rebirth a better world.

The words made his hand ache, his skin glue to the linens that bound it.

It burned, God, it burned.

“Your grace,” Pain stopped. “Ser Parmen’s men are overrun!” Stannis looked to the man that interrupted his mind. Dressed in steel and leather. A black stag inside a burning heart. He was his.

The king’s eyes returned to the fields of red. The Monster’s cavalry had charged; the resulting chaos of men and steeds was a horrible sight. Ugly.

Stannis looked to his red priest. She looked grim.

“Order my knights. We set to their help.” His men bowed and turned to task.

“You should not go, your grace. I saw much smoke in the flames.” her words set fire to his hand once more. Stannis moved his hand, carefully, until the pain dulled.

“Smoke? No threat more specific?”

“I have had trouble looking at you in the fires. Something, someone, blocks me from your sight.” Stannis did not acknowledged her words. Prophesies were fickle things, vain and self-serving. But there was use for them, when the wording was not a riddle by itself. And there was no choice but to go.

Stannis asked for his helm and armed his shield. His knights were ready.

He breathed heavily before riding to them. The king gave them a curt nod.

There were many, like an army of children with toy weapons and wooden horses, painted in living colours. Stannis felt hot.

“We charge.” He called, but the sounds were muted to him “And we kill them all.”

He had stopped hearing: no sound around him but for the crackles of fire. If his men cheered to him, he did not hear them.

Could not hear them.

He was not there for pride. It was right.

...​

The charge was wild. A stampede of great beasts, readied for war since their birth.
Stannis would hit the Lannister’s flank.

Their approach made the gold and red host weary, their horns sounding, spears lining in their flank to greet the arms of the one true King. A king who could not hear them, and could barely see them. There was no need. He knew they were there; and they would die. As was right.

Stannis’ own horns sounded and these he heard. A howl from God Himself, a promise of fire and death.

The lances were lowered and the steeds speeded.

The mist in front of him turned into men. Small coloured sculptures, like his brother had as a child. He could now see them, the traitors, the soon to be dead. He saw as they tensed, as the toys grouped tighter, the spears raised some more.

The king readied his own wood, heavy against his hand, arm, shoulder.

He felt a burn. It burned, God, it burned.

The crash was merciless, loud, and broke whatever cloud was dampening his mind. Stannis lance kept poised until it found its target. Stannis ignored the sickly crack against it and unsheathed his sword. To his right a Lannister spear. He raised his blade and sent it down.

A swing that should have drawn blood. But there was but wood flying, chips of woods from where the toy soldier was cut.

The Monster’s toys were wood. Painted wood, in living colours. Stannis felt fire.

“Burn as I burn.” He whispered. Around his mind, around his mount, fires broke.

...​

He forgot how many toys he broke, how many he had burned. And each death fuelled the fire, let it burn bright and brighter. There was smoke now. Engulfing him, inviting him.

As his blade sent the men it touched to meet their false Gods, Stannis knew it was necessary, it was needed, it was right, it was bright and brighter.

...​

Two more charges he had ordered and yet there was no end to the traitors. He gave the signal again and a new horn sounded even above the smoke that had clouded the sun. His knights disengaged, well trained, quick to serve. Those that did not had died after the first charge.

Their run was greeted by arrows, thrown at random, trying to dissuade new charge. They failed. Stannis’s knights turned and formed a new edge. His horn again and again they ran, slower now, their movements harmed by the hours in the fray, by the heat of the fires. But this time a new sound, a new horn. This one like a wail, high pitched.

After it, the noise of a charge, a Lannister charge. Darkness and smoke followed it.

...​

The lions ate away his flank.

He looked to the side, perhaps to see the damage, perhaps to enjoy the sight. He should not have. He never saw the spear, blocked by mist, haze and smoke. Stannis only sensed his horse lose strength and then hiss. The king felt himself fall.

The drop had all air leave his lungs.

A spearman in Marbrand’s grey on the other side of the stick still enveloped on Stannis’ horse’s corpse.

He filled his breath with the ash around him and got to his feet. It burned. Stannis still had his blade in hand, his opponents spear was still deep in the animal. The king sent his sword against the soldier’s neck. Scraps of wood, charred, flied from the wounded man, the wounded toy, as it fell. Stannis tried to look around again. Around him only toy lions amidst mist, spears poised.

One toy moved his mouth. A clever trick, he would admit. Mayhap with strings as would a puppet. It looked as if it tried to speak.

But Stannis heard no sound from the wooden lips. Instead, the king took the spear that still stood from his horse and threw it against the puppet. It collapsed, it’s strings cut. The army of children with toy weapons and wooden horses, painted in lively tones, capes in the seven colours of the Seven’s rainbow, advanced against him.

Wood. Burn.

Toys. Break.

So many. Always too many.

And pain. First in his shoulder, as a training sword scrapped his skin, then his right leg as a brightly painted mace broke his bone, then his torso, his back, his head.

His mouth filled with blood. It was sweet, as if mixed with juice. It dripped from his form, wound, mouth, nose, eyes.

‘Burn as I burn’ he thought, as his lips no longer moved, his eyes no longer saw, his limbs could no longer sustain his weight.

Around him, fire and smoke.

And it burned, God, it burned.

Last edited:
Appendix X
“...And it burned, God, it burned.” Val finished. Her lips felt dry. She should drink, leave. She had some dornish wine in her room.

Instead, she let silence take the room, the expecting silence that followed the end of all her stories. A silenced that wondered if there was something more to be told.

The girl blinked. Much like an owl, Val supposed, eyes emerald green instead of amber. The boy was sited against the height of his bed, facing the air. He still would not look at her. He had been blank for the whole story, for all charges and all kills.

The girl spoke first.

“I’m not sure I understood your story.” Her face was schooled, but her eyes betrayed her. She had given the children too much truth already. Enough to regret. Some magic would do no harm:

“The gods cursed Stannis Baratheon for burning their-”

“He was just mad, sister. Just sick.” The boy interrupted. He did not turn. His voice was sharp but tired. “Go away, Val.”

There was little aggression in the boy’s voice. Its pitch was too still too high to show the anger he had in him. It was still enough for his sister to startle. She was unused to that tone. Anger, rage, deep but masked despair in someone too much a child to have them.

“But! Brother! I still-”

“Leave, Val. I heard you enough for a night.”

And Val did. Giving no more looks to the faces in her nightmares.

ch10p1.jpg
So... Hi. I just killed Stannis. An insane Stannis even. That was fun:)

ch10p3.jpg
Stannis lost the coin toss on the shadow killer event. The end result was a much less sane Stannis than GRRM’s. And canon Stannis is not a balanced individual.

ch10p2.jpg
In truth, Stannis didn’t die in the battle of Wendbridge, but a follow-up battle where I was picking his surviving troops. But that doesn’t sound as good in narrative form, so there.

ch10p4.jpg
Wendbridge was my Stannis' Blackwater. A horrible defeat against a bigger number (just not as big as Westerlands+reach) that would have probably cost him the war. His remaining army after this one was wiped was less than 4k.

ch10p5.jpg

...​

Back again, everyone! It was the first important character in the story to die and I am just glad Stannis THIS TIME died like a soldier and not from a nasty cold.

Also, decided to review appendix VII. Less cheesy now, I find.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm starting to think Val half wants to die. Even Hodor could have caught the meaning of the toy soldiers, and her two wards certainly have the power to have her killed for much less than she's already said.

The toy soldiers bit aside, I quite like how you wrote the Mad Stag. Stannis feeling guilt isn't an angle that gets covered a lot and I think you wove that in with his madness rather well.

Now I am just wondering how Joffrey will deal with Melisandre. Fire, I'd imagine.

I'm starting to think Val half wants to die. Even Hodor could have caught the meaning of the toy soldiers, and her two wards certainly have the power to have her killed for much less than she's already said.

The toy soldiers bit aside, I quite like how you wrote the Mad Stag. Stannis feeling guilt isn't an angle that gets covered a lot and I think you wove that in with his madness rather well.

Now I am just wondering how Joffrey will deal with Melisandre. Fire, I'd imagine.
Actually, i'm pretty sure that canon Stannis feels guilty about his brother. He does try to convince himself otherwise.

And no fire. I'm still not exactly sure what to do with her. But that is mainly because my plans for her would have me banned of the forum:p

Thank you kindly for the words!!!

XI: Joffrey
...​

The Red Keep’s halls were dark still, even as first lights broke through the windows. Joffrey was barely dressed, only a nightgown to cover his form.

He did not sleep. His bed was full of whispers and sounds and voices. Too loud in the quiet of his room.

He knew the corridors well. But how could he not? He had walked and ran through them all. Before he could walk and run he would have crawled through the castle.

His feet were bare.

The cold of the stone floor gave some solace to the pain and racket that infested his mind. It was better, a relief, just not enough.

Joffrey didn’t particularly enjoy wandering in his halls. Perhaps he should feel comfort from how little it had changed. He did not. There were too many ghosts stalking those stones.

He stopped in front of a torch, for no better reason that it was one flick of light between hundreds. His fingers played with the flames, dancing within its tongues, just fast enough not to feel the burn.

His uncle had screamed as he died, they had told him. Horrible screams, ordering the world to burn, ordering his hosts to fight back. Troops that only he could see. Ghosts who disobeyed him. Joffrey had not needed them to tell him that. He could hear the screams in his bed.

He had not seen his uncle since before Lord Arryn died. An eternity before. And yet his chamber was full of the traitor’s screams.

Madness.

Joffrey left the heat, turning the first corner he saw. He might be trying to lose himself. It was hard for him to tell. The castle was a maze to the untrained eye, all black and red stone and grim artefacts. Yet his eyes had seen every hallway, antechamber, passage. He knew exactly where he was. But how could he not?

He sat against the stone wall. He had no reason to, but he still tried to suck the cold from the dead stone behind him.

One of the more remote corridors, small rooms, the ones used for those the kings had no intention to gaze at.

He remembered it well. He remembered a girl, lost in the halls.

Locked, caged, whose fleeting walks through the keep would have been bliss, a taste of freedom.

Ugly, he remembered. So ugly, half her face frozen, dead. Even the living half would inspire no man. Hidden. Was there a more pitiful existence? To be scarred so deeply that even her father locked her, in shame?

She had been holding a ball, big for her fragile hands.

The girl had looked at him for a heartbeat before, in a jump, hiding herself behind the nearest corner. Only the living side of her face had been visible then. There had been a faint blush on her cheek.

She had looked so human then, scared, aye, but there had been more curiosity than fear. Her eye had been shining, but Joffrey never found why.

The then prince had just standed, letting his head loll to the side. He might have tried smiling. He doubted it, but he could not remember.

Whatever he had done, it had been enough to give the child courage. She had stepped from the corner – forever, since then, her corner - her dead half once again showing. Her left eye was dry, so different from the life in her right. She had licked her upper lip and bit her lower. As if speaking was an art she had not grown accustomed to. And finally said, begged:

“Would you play with me, cousin?”

...​

There was a ball against the wall. Joffrey had not noticed it; Tried not to notice it; Pretended not to notice it.

He remembered the ball. But how could he not? Red. It had been red, with some traces of Baratheon black and gold.

He did not reach for it. It should not be there, just another ghost from the keep. He did not reach for it. It looked wrong somehow, smaller than it should be, than he remembered it. He did not reach for it. It was just one more nightmare, one more pain in his mind, one more fleeting colour.

Joffrey’s hand reached for the ball.

It was hard. He had wondered what material his cousin’s ball had been made of. Certainly not cloth or gut. Joffrey threw it against the opposing wall. A thump before the ball came back to him. He caught it with the same hand. He was unsurprised.

After all, Shireen’s ball had done the exact same an eternity ago.

He stood, using his hand to sustain his weight and overcome the dizziness that got to him for a heartbeat. He would again try to get himself lost, to lose himself from the ghosts. Even if he knew that he would fail. That he would know exactly where he would end up and even if the ghosts followed him.

He took his nightmare with him, red, black, gold. But for what he had to do, for what he would do how could he not? The girl had loved her ball.

...​

Stories told the rooms of the great masters of whispers as dark mansions furnished with artefacts of dubious origin and design, maps of the known world hanged by daggers, sharp irons and dull irons, whichever the tongue in question needed to unwind.

Stories. In its stead, Varys chamber was sombre, no traces of personality or ownership anywhere in sight. The dark artefacts all hidden in the Spider’s mind, the maps all known by heart, the tools all crude contraptions that had no place on a true web.

The lack of anything distinguishable was more terrifying than the stories could be. It spoke of a shadow that could make its living in any other damp room in the kingdom.

The Spider had been reading a worn tome, no markings on its cover.

“How may I serve, your grace?” The master of whispers had risen from his seat and gave a modest bow.

Joffrey hated needing him. But there once was a child three years his junior, holding a ball, who feared getting caught or even seen.

That child held the Stormlands.

Joffrey backed against the empty walls of the chamber. He played with her ball, trading it from one hand to the other.

He was curious if the Spider could see it, its red, black and gold.

“I need someone dead.”

The eunuch had no reaction to that. No frown, no contemplation. They could be discussing that year’s crops.

“We are at war, your grace. You need many a persons’ death.”

“True.” Their deaths would keep his own at bay. “But from you I need but one.” One eye living, one eye dead.

“The North is not an easy place for my birds to reach.”

No. He had no interest in the North. Not for awhile. The ironborn had taken its shores and its keeps, safe in the knowledge that the Stark’s army was busy in the south. The young wolf was still licking his wounds from his defeat in Bramfort and already he needed to strike back before Greyjoy’s raiders got too deep. So, no; Robb Stark was irrelevant while too busy fighting krakens. Irrelevant, but for awhile. Joffrey’s head ached. He threw the ball against the opposing wall.

“My uncle has died.” A thump before the ball came back to his hand. “We sent a peace offer to the Stormland’s Lords.” Varys had given no indication of seeing, hearing, noticing the ball “It will be rejected.”

The Stormlands were under control of no Lord. Varys knew that, of course, had known all that. He would know the workings of the Red court better than any other man in the keep.

He would know the workings of a Red priest better.

“The red priestess, you mean? I do not believe she would sue for peace, no.”

And she would suffer for what she had done. For what she would force the king to do. For having him kill his kin, she would suffer.

“I want her.” A whisper.

The pain focused for a heartbeat, Joffrey’s fist clenched around the ball, until they lost colour along with the world around him. He would have her.

And yet, first:

“We can not stay at Storm’s End for a siege. We need our armies elsewhere. We need the Stormland’s armies.” He knew why he had to do it, why he would do it, even as he played with the ball. One eye living, one eye dead.

Would you play with me, cousin?

He felt the air leave his lungs, his palms sweat, his chest tighten. As if he was still a child as his mother crushed him in despair.

He needed air.

He bit his cheek, dug his nails against his flesh, bent his body until it cracked, until he felt enough pain to fight the eyes away.

There were arms around him, crushing him under the sheets.

He fought to catch breath, to have the colours return.

The blonde breathed deep and threw the ball once more. There was no reaction from the Spider as the ball reached the wall. A crack, too loud a crack to be caused by such a small orb. The world was painted once more when the ball returned to his hand.

The eunuch already knew why he was there. But he would not move before time, before Joffrey had said the name of a small girl, his kin, his cousin, half face dead.
Joffrey licked his upper lip and bit his lower. His throat was closed, as if speaking was an art he had not yet grown accustomed to.

“I need you to kill Shireen Baratheon.”

Varys had no reaction. Why would he?

“It takes time to plan an assassination, your grace.”

He could be discussing that year’s crops. That man had seen worse, had done worse. Horrible things. Yet, there was concern for the kingdom in him. Just not for its king. The arms around the king’s chest lighten their grasp.

“We will both depart to Shipbreaker’s Bay. You will have the time to plot aboard.”

The Spider might have wanted more time. It was a murder. He might have wondered why either of their presences was needed. It was just murder. But he made no discussion.

“As you command, your grace. I shall arrange for matters.”

Joffrey left the room, in his hand a memory of red, black and gold. He turned the first corner he saw. There was a weight in his gut he did not like nor recognise. Even with the pain in his cheek, the nail marks in his hand, the throb in his head, the chill against his feet. He would again try to get himself lost. How could he not?

Maybe he would find a girl lost behind a corner.

Maybe she would play with him.

Last edited:
Appendix XI
The girl had fallen asleep with a smile, small, her hands lost in her brother’s locks. The boy hadn’t moved from the girl’s stomach, her belly his pillow. Val thought it likely that he had not listen to a word she said.

There had been a mock fight in the yard that day. Perhaps mock was not the best term? A small tourney between the youngest progeny of the Stormlands Greats. Her Lord had organised a feast, the fields and a small purse to the victor. The castle held the sons of Lord Estermont and Lord Mertyns, the cousins of Lady Swann of Stonehelm and even the younger brothers to Lord Penrose.

The boy had lost.

More than so, if what Val had heard was to be true.

The boy had been humiliated. To a point where his own sister had mocked him.

Val had come to the room expecting a tantrum, flying linens and broken chairs. There were none.

The boy had forgiven his sister, but he knew not how to do anything else. His face was empty, his mind still lost in the fields replaying his fight, again, again, again, againagainagainagainagainagain.

He scared her.

His face told her that he would get better: a better fighter, a better knight, a better killer.

Val left her seat in a hurry, her stomach burning her. The boy would not even notice.

He would be a better monster. A better monster. A better monster.

ch11p1.jpg

War in the Stormlands continues. At the point in time this screenshot was taken, I didn’t have the kind of money needed to order a kill. The good thing about battles? War prisoners. Ramsons of minor lords had me jump from 50 something gold to early 300.

ch11p2.jpg

And this makes the second mention of Shireen in the story. Why in the gods names is Joffrey guilty about killing his cousin? He showed time and time again that he had no trouble murdering people. Personally even. But he had never seen them before. And more than that: none of the others he had killed had smiled to him.

Joffrey is a kid. Even with the kills he ordered and done himself, he is still a kid. That will change.

ch11p3.jpg

...​

Still here, but I’m living a horrible exam season. That means writing has no priority at the moment. So… what does that mean to you, who honestly only care about my academic ability in the very remote chance that one day you’ll get sick while in Portugal?

It means there might be some delays in latter chapters. Not for chapter XII, that has already been mostly written, so there will be a new entry to the story in the customary 15 days. Chapter XIII however, would have been already written in a normal situation.

It hasn’t.

Reviews? Please*.*? They will make studying more tolerable, honest:p

Last edited: