• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

stephen94

Corporal
49 Badges
Feb 1, 2011
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
One of the great political problems in the 19th century was the place of Ireland in the British Empire. It was an island with a Protestant majority in Ulster and a Catholic majority in the other counties. However in Victoria 2, not only can you not realise Ireland without including Ulster but you never seem to have Irish nationalists rising up in the first place. Which is strange as this is one of the major issues as Parliament discussed Home Rule, time after time after time.

With the new crises feature in HOD, will Ireland be available to try and force its independence, and just as importantly will Britain be able to release the southern counties without giving up Ulster?

Any feedback would be appreciated... :)

One of the great political problems in the 19th century was the place of Ireland in the British Empire. It was an island with a Protestant majority in Ulster and a Catholic majority in the other counties. However in Victoria 2, not only can you not realise Ireland without including Ulster but you never seem to have Irish nationalists rising up in the first place. Which is strange as this is one of the major issues as Parliament discussed Home Rule, time after time after time.

With the new crises feature in HOD, will Ireland be available to try and force its independence, and just as importantly will Britain be able to release the southern counties without giving up Ulster?

Like Canada and Australia, Ireland is rarely freed in the course of a typical game. I wonder what would happen if a decision simultaneously removed IRE cores from Northern Ireland and released IRE?

Get APD. Has everything you are looking for

Like Canada and Australia, Ireland is rarely freed in the course of a typical game. I wonder what would happen if a decision simultaneously removed IRE cores from Northern Ireland and released IRE?

Decision would have to be activated by a huge revolt in ireland+ high WE... a stable prosperous UK should never have to release Ireland.

It seems that there should be an event chain that stirs up more revolt risk for Ireland.

Why wouldn't they release the 9 counties of Ulster? They belong to us.

I agree with you, but I'm not going there.

Decision would have to be activated by a huge revolt in ireland+ high WE... a stable prosperous UK should never have to release Ireland.

Prior to WW I the UK was prosperous and stable. And it got Ireland in some sort of civil war. Or course, a lost war or economic failure should make things get worse.

Get APD. Has everything you are looking for

This. It really improves the game and maximally utilizes what vanilla Victoria 2 has and improves it by a ton. Not trying to advertise, I'm not related to the APD team, but I've recently realised that I was losing out on a lot of potentional entertainment by not having this outstanding, game-improving mod. :)

Heaven forbid that the democratic will of the inhabitants dictate their future, let's have wailing from people that don't live there because they don't like lines on a map

Thank you for being the sarcastic voice of reason ^_^

As for the issue, I'm always surprised that the Irish question doesn't come up... As I recall, Irish nat'lists were one of the rebel factions in one of the first screenies for AHD - never seen 'em since 8^/

Last edited:
This. It really improves the game and maximally utilizes what vanilla Victoria 2 has and improves it by a ton. Not trying to advertise, I'm not related to the APD team, but I've recently realised that I was losing out on a lot of potentional entertainment by not having this outstanding, game-improving mod. :)

I believe you can release the Scots as well...

Ireland should not be driven by events, but by game mechanics of religious oppression, nationalism & war exhaustion. In an ideal case, returning veterans should demand social reforms as return for the sacrifices they've made for "the fatherland."

Not knowing all the mechanics associated with Crisis', just having seen the screenshots, it doesn't look like it will deal with internal matters. The only way I think the crisis mechanic could force UK to release Ireland is if another GP(s) give UK a choice of that or war. I don't think the Crisis mechanics will be able to do what happened historically where it happened largely without other powers getting involved (relatively speaking).

The relationship between Britain and Ireland certainly could do with more things to simulate it in vanilla AHD (whatever those mechanics may be), APD does do a decent job at simulating it though.

Prior to WW I the UK was prosperous and stable. And it got Ireland in some sort of civil war. Or course, a lost war or economic failure should make things get worse.

War of Independence happened in 1919-21. Civil War was afterwards. Each followed WWI; the UK notably hired jobless WWI veterans to pacify Ireland.

War of Independence happened in 1919-21. Civil War was afterwards. Each followed WWI; the UK notably hired jobless WWI veterans to pacify Ireland.

There was problems before that, just a few examples :

1843: The cities of Dublin/Cork adopt a motion for Irish autonomy. The british military troops are reinforced.

1848: Young Irelander rebellion (battle of Ballingarry).

1867: Fenian rising (Irish Republican Brotherhood).

1882: The Chief Secretary for Ireland (minister) Lord Frederick Cavendish and his undersecretary Thomas Henry Burke are killed by the "Invincibles".

Ireland should be at least somewhat troublesome for the UK in the 19th century.