• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 5: A disappointing peace

20 April 1444, Schloss von Hohenzollern

In most ways, Maximillian III (sometimes called Maximillian Emmanuel I) was nothing like his father, but in many more, he was. He had the same general build, although perhaps not as muscular. He had the same distaste for needless talk, and suffered fools about as well. Maximillian III was not as bright, overall, as his father, but was nearly his father's equal as an administrator.

maxandhisbrother.jpg

His brother Adalbert was more oriented towards the military, and as Prinz von Aachen, that was an important role. Marshal von Retter was a superb horseman, but lacked Karl I's skill with infantry and planning ambushes. That left a place for a man of Adalbert's more direct approach to warfare. In the meantime, though, Maximillian had to fight a war against France, and that required a new General.

anewgeneral.jpg

Joseph Clemens von Scherer was a very capable leader in his own right, although hardly fit to lead the army once commanded by Karl I. He did have a gift for moving infantry quickly, and even some knowledge of modern siege techniques, but lacked the sheer ability to inspire troops to drive hard against the enemy. The victory at Fürstenburg proved his mettle as a commander.

morevictory.jpg

Coupled with the arrival of an absolutely brilliant, if somewhat awkward, young Greek by the name of Stefan Urkelopopoulos, Bayern entered into a golden age of innovation and genius.

innovationwave.jpg

Speaking of Stefan, Maximillian sighed, as another loud crash resounded through the palace. Stefan and Adalbert were inseparable, but Stefan's enthusiasm for science had already caused considerable damage. Half of the stables had no roof and the chickens in the village outside hadn't laid any eggs for three weeks. This Chinese magic will lead to no good end, but at least it keeps my brother happy. He ruminated on family matters, when his Chancellor, Othon de Châteaugris, entered with a grim look on his face.

"Your Highness, our war with France is over."

Maximillian studied the Chancellor's face carefully. "And why, my lord Graf, is that a bad thing?"

Wordlessly, Othon slid the treaty across the table.

venicesurrenders.jpg

The König von Bayern registered not even the slightest hint of being perturbed. Perhaps the greatest difference between father and son was a completely lack of any passion on the part of the son. Karl would grow furious quite frequently; for Maximillian, a slight flaring of the nostrils would be the only indication of rage, and he wasn't even doing that now. "The Doge is his own man, Othon. He may decide his own foreign policy, whether or not it benefits us. What does this mean for us?"

"Very little, my liege." Othon bowed and departed.

Maximillian sat quietly, nursing a cup of wine. As he rolled the cup around in his hand, he considered what had happened to his kingdom. Bayern would have gained no territory from France, that much was obvious. Similarly, any acceptance of vassalage was sheer folly. Yet, perhaps, some ducats could have been gained, ducats that could have been used for extensive repairs and new construction throughout the realm. He frowned slightly. Greatness will take work, that I know. Still, it is our family's destiny. He finished the cup and set it gently down.

2 June 1445, near München

The stranger hustled through the fields as quickly as he could, but his ecclesiastical garb kept tripping him up. He tore off a section of his robe to facilitate greater movement and continued to run. If he hurried, he could make the city by nightfall. It was his bad luck to collide with a guard patrol, quite literally.

"Who are you, peasant?" the leader of the patrol sneered. As the stranger spewed word after word of Czech, the guard snarled in frustration. After recognizing that the guard could not understand him, the stranger shifted to Greek; that just made things worse. The leader, now an hour past his quitting time, cuffed the stranger on the head and sent for a translator.

newchancellor.jpg

Wilhelm Rickauer, a native of the area, had toiled in the Chancellery for 10 years with little prospect of advancement. His father was a common soldier and his mother a gardener. That Wilhelm had won a university education was pure happenstance, mostly thanks to his impressive command of languages. Rickauer's career was forever changed when Maximillian III appointed him to the Royal Court as official interpreter, a truly prestigious post. There were already whispers that he might be chosen Vice Chancellor, if the old one passed on. Perhaps the greatest sign of his new success was that the girl he'd been after to marry him for years, a lovely young Baroness named Jenny, finally returned his affection, and they were to be married in July. That was all in the future though; for now, he was still a minor enough official that anybody could command his attention.

Wilhelm looked at the stranger with a mixture of curiosity and irritation. The stranger was clearly dressed in the garb of an Orthodox priest, yet lacked the beard common to such a position. In fact, the priest was completely clean shaven. "Who are you, stranger?"

The priest, grateful to hear his native tongue of Czech for the first time in years, excitedly proclaimed himself Otakar von Erz. As they chatted, the priest's story became much clearer. Otakar was born in 1405 to a family of Greek Orthodox worshipers in Erz. His father had ministered to the Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire himself, when the Kaiser and Basileus of Byzantium were one and the same. Otakar took the vows himself at age 25 and moved to Bulgaria to practice his faith, which was increasingly less common in Bohemia. Then a revolution broke out.

thekaisershifts.jpg

The new ruling party of Bulgaria was quickly absorbed into the Byzantine Empire. Normally, that would be a good thing for a loyal Orthodox priest, but the Byzantines had never truly forgiven their western neighbor for deposing their leader as Kaiser. All men of the Holy Roman Empire were banned from Bulgaria and Otakar returned home. Everything seemed okay, but then, with no independent Bulgaria, a new Kaiser was chosen: Vaclav I of Bohemia.

vaclaviskaiser.jpg

Vaclav was an incredibly religious man, and hated all forms of heresy. The Greek Orthodox priests in Bohemia fled as quickly as they could, and that brought Otakar to Bayern.

Wilhelm absorbed this story with great interest. When Otakar was finished, the priest looked expectantly at Wilhelm. Wilhelm sighed. "What do you think I can do for you, Otakar?"

"Can you introduce me to the King?"

"Probably, but he is every bit as Catholic as the Kaiser. What do you hope to gain?"

Otakar drew himself up to his full height, and at 6'4", that was impressive indeed. "A job. Any job. I need not minister any longer, but I do need to make a livelihood."

Wilhelm whistled in appreciation of the massive individual in front of him. "You would make a fine soldier, Otakar."

Otakar hesitated for a moment. His vows, which he was not prepared to forsake, precluded him from joining any army. Yet he also knew that Bayern was at war with Tirol again, which meant the services of a strong soldier would be in great demand.

tirolagain.jpg

Wilhelm sensed his guest's hesitancy, and nodded once. "I understand, Otakar. For now, you can stay here; my fiancee and I have an extra room. We'll go see the local Graf in the morning; Joseph Gabrieles de Bragança is both the Marshal and a very kind man, and I think he might help you."

31 January 1448, Nürnberg

Maximillian looked around the throne room. Too much black. Why do people weep so for my brother, who I myself hardly knew?

adalbertdead.jpg

The exact details of Adalbert's death were still a mystery, and would probably remain so. Some of the more radical rumors had a former Askanien being indirectly involved, but surely that was false, just as the rumors of a connection between the death of Adalbert and General Scherer a few months before were just as ridiculous. Some peasants blamed the appearance of a comet in 1446 for the deaths, which was the most absurd reason of all.

cometsighte.jpg

The most visibly distraught was Brünnhilde Neferet -- no, von Hohenzollern again -- his new bride. They'd been courting since 1447, as Brünnhilde was an ambitious woman: being Grafin von Kempten wasn't enough for her. Maximillian neither particularly desired nor detested her, as he felt very little for any human being. If it was good for the kingdom, it was good for him, and a Königin was important to ensure the dynasty's continuation. In fact, although they were keeping things quiet, Brünnhilde was already pregnant. Brünnhilde was a useful ruler too, arguing very successfully in favor of a National Bank for Bayern.

nationalbank.jpg

The loans required to fight the war against France were all but paid off, mostly thanks to her hard work. She also argued for a fresh campaign against Tirol in 10 years time, this time for the city of Worms.

anothernewmission.jpg

The creation of the County of Pfalz added another voice at Reichsrat, but a loyal one, as Adalbert's beloved friend Stefan was given the title, again at Brünnhilde's urging.

pfalztaken.jpg

As Maximillian sat watching the crowd grieve for his brother, all the König could think about was how much more damage Stefan could do to royal property with the new income.

17 November 1449, Nürnberg

Of all the jobs that could have been envisioned for Otakar von Erz, late of Bohemia, the most unlikely was the one he actually received: tutor to the Prinz von Aachen, Theodor.

anewheir.jpg

Even more curiously, it was the Archbishop of Nürnberg, Thomas of Zweifalten, who'd recommended him. Otakar had indeed served, briefly, in the war against Tirol, but with no particular distinction or talent. In fact, his service consisted entirely of piking himself in the foot during a parade exercise. The Catholic Church of Bayern ran the hospital in which he'd stayed, and after trying to convert a few souls in his broken German, the Archbishop himself had appeared, ready to banish the interloper. Instead, they shared plenty of arguments (in Greek, thankfully for Otakar) on the nature of God and found themselves much closer to agreement than outright hatred. Over many a cup of wine, both pined for the loss of one universal church. When young Theodor was born, Thomas immediately insisted the job be given to the brilliant Otakar, with Wilhelm Rickauer instructing the Prinz in languages. Since Czech was unlikely to be of much use to the young heir, the instruction from Otakar would be in Greek, while Wilhelm would teach the rest. It was an unusual system, but the infant Theodor seemed not to mind, and loved both of his uncles.

Otakar also felt a partial moment of redemption when the new Kaiser, Jiri I, rescinded the order that expelled all Greek Orthodox from Bohemia. Yet he felt even happier when the same Kaiser officially recognized Bayern's title to Schwyz and Schwaben.

nomoreunlawful.jpg

The truth was, he no longer thought much about Bohemia. His home, and the home of his descendants (if he had any), would be forever Bayern.

Since we're at fifty years in, the next update (scheduled for Tuesday) will be purely gameplay and give a quick overview of the world. I'll play next week sometime and have new narrative updates for you no later than next weekend.

Yaaaaaay! I love this AAR so much! This is the highlight of my day(I had a really sucky day: can you say streptococcus?)!

Also: darn, I knew I should have made my character show up sooner! Now I won't get a taste of him 'til Tuesday, at the soonest!

Last edited:
That was not a good peace for Venice. I thought the war was going in their favour. Tirol remains far too large. You need more conquest CBs.

Yaaaaaay! I love this AAR so much! This is the highlight of my day(I had a really sucky day: can you say streptococcus?)!

Also: darn, I knew I should have made my character show up sooner! Now I won't get a taste of him 'til Tuesday, at the soonest!

Sorry to hear about your illness. :( As far as your character is concerned, even if you had changed the birth date he wouldn't have appeared. I can only introduce so many new characters without confusing readers. :)

That was not a good peace for Venice. I thought the war was going in their favour. Tirol remains far too large. You need more conquest CBs.

I agree re: Venice, but I think they were getting occupied by France while I was giving France a beating.

Perhaps the greatest difference between father and son was a completely lack of any passion on the part of the son.

This reminded me of this passage in Gibbon:
His subjects, who attentively studied the character of their young sovereign, discovered that Honorius was without passions, and consequently without talents; and that his feeble and languid disposition was alike incapable of discharging the duties of his rank, or of enjoying the pleasures of his age.

Though it seems that our Maximilian's sense of duty is much more developed by far. I hope he doesn't turn lethargic over the years.

At least Venice didn't sell you out. It also solves the problem of them being a big rival in the future.

Oh good, another decent heir. We wouldn't want another Barbara. :p

You should be cautious about conquering Worms, those exploding sheep can be quite nasty.
Of course, this woudn't be a EUIII game without comets and heirs dying prematurely, but at least the new one is decent enough.

This reminded me of this passage in Gibbon:

Though it seems that our Maximilian's sense of duty is much more developed by far. I hope he doesn't turn lethargic over the years.

If I ever get some free time (ha!), I'd love to read Gibbon.

At least Venice didn't sell you out. It also solves the problem of them being a big rival in the future.

Oh good, another decent heir. We wouldn't want another Barbara. :p

That is physically impossible. :)

You should be cautious about conquering Worms, those exploding sheep can be quite nasty.
Of course, this woudn't be a EUIII game without comets and heirs dying prematurely, but at least the new one is decent enough.

You win 11 million internets for referring to one of my favorite games of all time.

Is there a reason why you are only getting 3 and 4 star advisors? Are you trying to save up great man events for later use?

I'm not really pressing cultural tradition as hard as I can, and I haven't been at peace for long enough to build up a good store. Plus, if I remember right, 5.2 nerfs CT to some degree.

Fifty year update -- 1449

Note: This will purely be me talking here; no narrative in these updates, as it's a good way to let you know what I'm thinking and why I'm thinking it.

Here is Europe at the end of 1449 (I wanted to get the cores, which is why I let it run as long as I did):

europemapov.jpg

There's been some consolidation, but not as much as you might hope. At the very end of the last update, I signed an alliance with Hungary; I didn't mention it because, well, I forgot. :rolleyes: Short term goal is to keep working on Tirol, hope to inherit Aachen, and maybe get some other beneficial PUs. Expansion is really slow at this point; I'm thinking more and more of just leaving the HRE at some point. Speaking of the HRE...

hreelectors.jpg

One of the things that doesn't come through very clearly in the narrative is how little cash I've had on hand. I've only built three buildings (a constable and two lvl 1 forts) the first fifty years. You can also see my cash flow issues in how much the electors don't like me. It looks like Holland will be the new Holy Roman Emperor soon; I'm okay with that. I'd rather it be me, obviously, but I'll settle for Holland, who is far away and cannot hurt me (it's roughly where actual Holland is). Here's the Papacy:

cardinals.jpg

My cardinal chance is torpedoed by a) lousy relations with the Papal States; b) being slightly innovative; and c) the infamy thanks to my unlawful territory. Now that we've got a good overview going, let's look in depth at my country. First, the court:

courtf.jpg

As I was mentioning to Arch Mede, I've been lax in working with Cultural Tradition so far; that will improve later on in the game. These are my preferred advisors, for the EU3 n00bs in the audience, at least until I get rid of my inflation. Speaking of inflation:

revenue.jpg

I've just recently gotten back to +3 stability and haven't reconfigured my tech sliders just yet. Most of Europe is about the same in tech levels; I won't bore you with a screenshot. I've had absolutely no luck with trade, and probably won't until I have a COT of my own. At this point, I'm pursuing a mostly balanced tech plan; I do want to shift into more Land tech and Government tech soon. I'll worry about the navy when I have a coastline. :) Here is my army:

armynavy.jpg

From a gameplay perspective, I'm torn at this point; if I cut my military maintenance, I'll make more money but won't be able to fight for a while, and I really don't want Tirol to get any powerful allies. Perhaps, in the short term, I'll cut down on maintenance to start generating cash. Ideas and sliders:

slidersandgovt.jpg

The converter gave me Glorious Arms -- I've been so unlucky with stab hit events that I really haven't had a chance to switch it out to Military Drill (most of my neighbors have Glorious Arms too, so this could be a significant advantage). At Government 11, I'll probably take Military Drill, but I'm open to suggestions. As far as sliders are concerned, I'm going to start leaning heavily on the Land vs. Naval slider, or perhaps go Innovative. I'm really starting to think I ought to go ahead with Declaring the Statute in Restraint of Appeals, since it seems like I'll never get any traction in the Curia without some luck or some years of peace. I'm going to stay Catholic, but the Bavarian Church does a have nice ring to it... Again, thoughts here are welcome.

Now that you have a better grasp of my country (I could also use peace to recover my manpower, now that I think about it), here are some global comparisons from the ledger page. Note the absence of Bavaria in the first screenshot here. :(

nationsbyincome.jpg

This can and will be fixed, I just need to start getting the cash to crank out production and trade buildings. I am, however, on the second page of the economic ledger!

nationspart2.jpg

Note vassal Austria is here too. It just occurred to me how much damage that unlawful territory has done me in terms of infamy: of these nations, I've got the highest infamy (followed by France, Mali, and Sweden). I'm #3 in the world in prestige though, behind Scotland and Mali. Perhaps it's time to start looking for a PU partner... In terms of global army size, I'm either second or third in the HRE -- Brunswick is definitely above me, and possibly Bohemia (I didn't get a screenshot of the top powers). Here are yearly income and expenditures:

incomec.jpg

costs.jpg

Finally, I conclude with two always fun screenshots: the pies and a world map.

pieswy.jpg

eu3mapbav144911171.jpg

I need to get some free time together before I can play again; I'm targeting this weekend or early next week for that, so next update won't be until next week, I'm thinking. Of course, if I find myself with lots of extra time, I could update sooner. :)

The world hasn't changed too much, has it? The borders are so messy. Borders like these are acceptable in the CKII's timeframe, because inheritance was generally how land changed hands, and inheritance does not care for reasonability. In eu3, though, this is simply horrendous.

Also, how many of those places around Byzantium are Byzantine vassals? And what tech groups are Mali and Ethiopia in?

Borders being messy within 50 years of the game start, not a problem :). You should focus getting Land tech 11, which will immediately gives you large margin over your rival in tech power. After that is up to you. Look out for those without a heir and low prestige. If you're one of the best in prestige, you have a higher chance of earning a PU that way.

The world hasn't changed too much, has it? The borders are so messy. Borders like these are acceptable in the CKII's timeframe, because inheritance was generally how land changed hands, and inheritance does not care for reasonability. In eu3, though, this is simply horrendous.

Also, how many of those places around Byzantium are Byzantine vassals? And what tech groups are Mali and Ethiopia in?

Just for you, here's a screenshot of the Byzantines in diplo mode and a list of vassals:

eu312.jpg

Ethiopia is western, while Mali is sub-Saharan.

Borders being messy within 50 years of the game start, not a problem :). You should focus getting Land tech 11, which will immediately gives you large margin over your rival in tech power. After that is up to you. Look out for those without a heir and low prestige. If you're one of the best in prestige, you have a higher chance of earning a PU that way.

Land 11 isn't a bad idea; I haven't paid much attention to the PU-able nations yet, but I will soon. My fantasy would be PU-ed Bohemia.

Go, Ethiopia!

I'm surprised they've been quiet with the Mamlukes; maybe that will change!

I forgot how big and threatening France actually was until that first screenshot. :eek: There does seem to be some big threats on all sides of the HRE.

Well at least being economically weak and unable to expand fast will make the Victoria II portion of the AAR more exciting. ;)

I forgot how big and threatening France actually was until that first screenshot. :eek: There does seem to be some big threats on all sides of the HRE.

Well at least being economically weak and unable to expand fast will make the Victoria II portion of the AAR more exciting. ;)

That's the spirit. :D