+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I garnison a city or a fort?

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the Roses

How do I garrison a city or a fort?

I noticed AI had cities and forts with armies inside. It there a way to keep an army in the fort? Not in the province outside the fort?
    Last edited by NICK ALTMAN; 22-02-2013 at 20:07.

Little icon on your armies, stand and fight or something similiar in the same location as for instance 'March to the sound of guns'.

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Rise of Prussia

If you buy Garrison Type Units in the Province with the City/Fortress they will immediayely be put within the City/Fortress when they are Produced. If you want a Regular Line Unit to go into the City/Fortress you have to choose the Unit Order Retreat Into the City/Fortress for them and leave them in the Province with the Fortress. They won't actually go into the City/Fortress until an enemy unit enters the Province though. You can't manually place Field Units within the City/Fortress. You must use the Unit Order.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

"To know nothing of the time before you were born is to remain forever a child", Cicero

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the Roses

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    If you buy Garrison Type Units in the Province with the City/Fortress they will immediayely be put within the City/Fortress when they are Produced. If you want a Regular Line Unit to go into the City/Fortress you have to choose the Unit Order Retreat Into the City/Fortress for them and leave them in the Province with the Fortress. They won't actually go into the City/Fortress until an enemy unit enters the Province though. You can't manually place Field Units within the City/Fortress. You must use the Unit Order.
    A ha. That makes sense. But if I bring a garrison type unit to a fort will it go into the fort?

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Rise of Prussia

Quote Originally Posted by NICK ALTMAN View Post
    A ha. That makes sense. But if I bring a garrison type unit to a fort will it go into the fort?

That I do not know. I assume that you would not be able to place even a moved Garrison Unit into a Structure manually and need to give it an Order to do so if the enemy approaches but that is just a guess.

"To know nothing of the time before you were born is to remain forever a child", Cicero

Covert Mastermind Demi Moderator Secret Master's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Yes, if you bring a stack of brigades flagged as garrison to a new fort or city, they'll automatically jump inside.

Note that if you mix garrison and regular brigades in a single stack, this does not happen. Don't mix them together!

Also note that brigades flagged as garrison move VERY slowly. Don't send them to a fort near the front unless you are really sure the enemy isn't nearby.
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

Note: If I write a post in this hideous color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Paying attention is strongly advised.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Master View Post
    Yes, if you bring a stack of brigades flagged as garrison to a new fort or city, they'll automatically jump inside.

Note that if you mix garrison and regular brigades in a single stack, this does not happen. Don't mix them together!

Also note that brigades flagged as garrison move VERY slowly. Don't send them to a fort near the front unless you are really sure the enemy isn't nearby.
    Ok I must be missing something simple. How do you flag/unflag a unit for Garrison duty?
    I can highlight them via clicking the city or garrison in the outliner, but then they refuse to move for me....

Also, can garrison be loaded on TP's? Otherwise it may be impossible to have a garrison in a non-core city/fort. (Like Gibraltar)
    Is this heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by merserm View Post
    Ok I must be missing something simple. How do you flag/unflag a unit for Garrison duty?
    I can highlight them via clicking the city or garrison in the outliner, but then they refuse to move for me....

Also, can garrison be loaded on TP's? Otherwise it may be impossible to have a garrison in a non-core city/fort. (Like Gibraltar)
    You don't flag units as garrison. Certain units (e.g. coastal batteries) have "garrison" displayed on the tool tip when you build them.

Rise of Prussia

Ah good to know. Thanks!

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

This isn't always true, I've been able to mix garrisons with infantry and still have them go inside of forts without having to wait for an enemy army to arrive. Maybe it has something to do with the ratio of garrison & non-garrison troops.
    پادشاه عالم پناه

Victoria best game ever btw. - Enewald, plus everyone else.

Covert Mastermind Demi Moderator Secret Master's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Chamboozer View Post
    This isn't always true, I've been able to mix garrisons with infantry and still have them go inside of forts without having to wait for an enemy army to arrive. Maybe it has something to do with the ratio of garrison & non-garrison troops.
    Really? I wonder what the ratio is, then.

Still, I wouldn't mix them together. There is garrison militia, garrison infantry, garrison artillery, and I think one major power has garrison cavalry.
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

Note: If I write a post in this hideous color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Paying attention is strongly advised.

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Speaking of garrisons though - does anyone know how to prevent them from entering battle when a relief army shows up? In my most recent game I've lost a fort because its 8k garrison joined battle with the 40k Russian besiegers due to the arrival of a 1.8k Moldavian relief army.
    پادشاه عالم پناه

Victoria best game ever btw. - Enewald, plus everyone else.

Second Lieutenant
    Crusader Kings IIMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Blog Entries
    Speaking of garrisons though - does anyone know how to prevent them from entering battle when a relief army shows up? In my most recent game I've lost a fort because its 8k garrison joined battle with the 40k Russian besiegers due to the arrival of a 1.8k Moldavian relief army.
    I don't think it's possible, badly needed feature though!

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    GettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Is there a need for such large garrisons though? Seems like the only positive thing large garrison brings is that it's harder to assault them, however it should be easier to starve them too! Can someone confirm or deny this?

Edit:
    Well, I probably got another plus for large garrison. You need bigger army to get the siege going. But this must really be all!

First Lieutenant prince_blucher's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2500k club

If you look at GB's Edinburgh province it has 20k of garrison inside the fort at the game start - including normal militia types. I have never been able to get normal GB militia (not "garrison" types) into a fort!!!

Oh that sux. That need to be fixed by the devs. The garrison ought to dig in and wait for the assault and pop out only when u send ur own unit there

+ Reply to Thread