• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NICK ALTMAN

Sergeant
13 Badges
May 20, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Knights of Honor
How do I garrison a city or a fort?

I noticed AI had cities and forts with armies inside. It there a way to keep an army in the fort? Not in the province outside the fort?

Last edited:
If you buy Garrison Type Units in the Province with the City/Fortress they will immediayely be put within the City/Fortress when they are Produced. If you want a Regular Line Unit to go into the City/Fortress you have to choose the Unit Order Retreat Into the City/Fortress for them and leave them in the Province with the Fortress. They won't actually go into the City/Fortress until an enemy unit enters the Province though. You can't manually place Field Units within the City/Fortress. You must use the Unit Order.

If you buy Garrison Type Units in the Province with the City/Fortress they will immediayely be put within the City/Fortress when they are Produced. If you want a Regular Line Unit to go into the City/Fortress you have to choose the Unit Order Retreat Into the City/Fortress for them and leave them in the Province with the Fortress. They won't actually go into the City/Fortress until an enemy unit enters the Province though. You can't manually place Field Units within the City/Fortress. You must use the Unit Order.

A ha. That makes sense. But if I bring a garrison type unit to a fort will it go into the fort?

A ha. That makes sense. But if I bring a garrison type unit to a fort will it go into the fort?

That I do not know. I assume that you would not be able to place even a moved Garrison Unit into a Structure manually and need to give it an Order to do so if the enemy approaches but that is just a guess.

Yes, if you bring a stack of brigades flagged as garrison to a new fort or city, they'll automatically jump inside.

Note that if you mix garrison and regular brigades in a single stack, this does not happen. Don't mix them together!

Also note that brigades flagged as garrison move VERY slowly. Don't send them to a fort near the front unless you are really sure the enemy isn't nearby.

Yes, if you bring a stack of brigades flagged as garrison to a new fort or city, they'll automatically jump inside.

Note that if you mix garrison and regular brigades in a single stack, this does not happen. Don't mix them together!

Also note that brigades flagged as garrison move VERY slowly. Don't send them to a fort near the front unless you are really sure the enemy isn't nearby.

Ok I must be missing something simple. How do you flag/unflag a unit for Garrison duty?
I can highlight them via clicking the city or garrison in the outliner, but then they refuse to move for me....

Also, can garrison be loaded on TP's? Otherwise it may be impossible to have a garrison in a non-core city/fort. (Like Gibraltar)

Ok I must be missing something simple. How do you flag/unflag a unit for Garrison duty?
I can highlight them via clicking the city or garrison in the outliner, but then they refuse to move for me....

Also, can garrison be loaded on TP's? Otherwise it may be impossible to have a garrison in a non-core city/fort. (Like Gibraltar)

You don't flag units as garrison. Certain units (e.g. coastal batteries) have "garrison" displayed on the tool tip when you build them.

Ah good to know. Thanks!

This isn't always true, I've been able to mix garrisons with infantry and still have them go inside of forts without having to wait for an enemy army to arrive. Maybe it has something to do with the ratio of garrison & non-garrison troops.

This isn't always true, I've been able to mix garrisons with infantry and still have them go inside of forts without having to wait for an enemy army to arrive. Maybe it has something to do with the ratio of garrison & non-garrison troops.

Really? I wonder what the ratio is, then.

Still, I wouldn't mix them together. There is garrison militia, garrison infantry, garrison artillery, and I think one major power has garrison cavalry. :wacko:

Speaking of garrisons though - does anyone know how to prevent them from entering battle when a relief army shows up? In my most recent game I've lost a fort because its 8k garrison joined battle with the 40k Russian besiegers due to the arrival of a 1.8k Moldavian relief army. :wacko:

Speaking of garrisons though - does anyone know how to prevent them from entering battle when a relief army shows up? In my most recent game I've lost a fort because its 8k garrison joined battle with the 40k Russian besiegers due to the arrival of a 1.8k Moldavian relief army. :wacko:

I don't think it's possible, badly needed feature though!

Is there a need for such large garrisons though? Seems like the only positive thing large garrison brings is that it's harder to assault them, however it should be easier to starve them too! Can someone confirm or deny this?

Edit:
Well, I probably got another plus for large garrison. You need bigger army to get the siege going. But this must really be all! :unsure:

If you look at GB's Edinburgh province it has 20k of garrison inside the fort at the game start - including normal militia types. I have never been able to get normal GB militia (not "garrison" types) into a fort!!!

Oh that sux. That need to be fixed by the devs. The garrison ought to dig in and wait for the assault and pop out only when u send ur own unit there