• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can still see them.

And you have elected inheritence, shouldn't be too hard to groom a better heir. There are still other Greyjoys out there, correct?

I can still see them.

And you have elected inheritence, shouldn't be too hard to groom a better heir. There are still other Greyjoys out there, correct?

That's a relief.

Yeah, Rook has a few daughters, and Falyse has a clutch of rather talented children (who are also of Dagon's line). Rook's also young enough to have a few more kids yet.

There are others, cousins and such, but some of them have embraced the Seven...we can't have that.

Interlude

Herein follows a brief glance at the Kings of Westeros three hundred and eighty years after the landing of Aegon The Conqueror, and eighty Years after the return of the dragons, during what would come to be known as the Second Warring State's Period or, more fancifully, The End of Iron.

First, we look at the most influential King of the day, Iron King Rook of House Greyjoy, First of His Name, called 'The Reader'.

Born of the line of Balon IX and Sansa of House Stark, King Rook could be said to favour his grandmother's side of the family. An affable, warm-spirited man, Rook had a fondness for letters and lyricism that has seen him well remembered by maester and bard both, though his actual skill at such rarely matched his enthusiasm, and what talent he had was reputedly somewhat unappreciated by the crude warriors of his day.

Second only to the Iron King in power were the Kings of the Reach, who had ruled a stable and relatively peaceful Kingdom since their revolt against the short reign of the Lannister dynasty over Westeros. The King of the Reach in this time was King Dontos of House Tyrell, First of His Name.

King Dontos was borne of the junior Tyrell line of Garlan the Galant, his mother having wrested the rule of the Reach from the senior line in The War of the Flowers. The senior Tyrells, though, had retained Highgarden, and proved a constant thorn in the side of the Reach Kings.

Third, are the invaders. The feathered men of the Summer Islands who took Dorne and the Stormlands both. The Summer-men were ruled by their warrior-king, Jarado of House Bone, First of His Name, called 'The Conqueror'.

Jarado's Kingdom was a passing strange thing to most westerosi. The Summer-men worshipped foreign gods and spoke foreign tongues. Even their way of ruling was strange, with each High Lordship entrusted to a 'Prince', all serving under the banner of The Conqueror.

For his own part, Jarado was said to be a truly noble king indeed, and even his enemies did not question his honour, integrity, or bravery.

Least in power of the lands south of the Wall was the once-mighty Iron Throne itself. King Aerion of House Targaryen, First of His Name, called 'The Mild', was a state in what appeared to be near terminal decline, having lost near all its major vassals to invasion or rebellion.

Still, there was some measure of hope in King's Landing in those days. The hated Iron Queen Yara the Cruel had failed in her attempt to crush the last Targaryens, a crossbow bolt finding her heart even as she sat her dragon and ordered her men to attack. The Ironborn won the battle regardless, but soon drifted home, and Aerion could claim a previously undreamed of victory.

Last, and least, we have the master of the Wildlings. King Beyond The Wall Kyleg of The Frozen Shore, Second of His Name, called 'The Great', by wildlings at least.

Like many Wildling Kings, Kyleg could claim no real noble heritage, nor even descent from famed wildling chieftain. He rose from nothing, and would in time return to it. In those days though, he remained a constant threat against the bold men of the Night's Watch, who had to cede control of the Shadow Tower and Eastwatch-by-the-sea to the Ironborn to ensure they were fully garrisoned.

Reactions:
After seeing the stats, I have to say that Rook is not as bad as I thought. He may be a poor fighter, but he has the best military mind out of any of the King's save Jarado, the best diplomacy state out of all of them, and he apparantly tamed Drogon. Plus, he still has the brilliant Falyse to back him up if he can keep her loyalty. It will be interesting to see how he wins the support of the Ironborn.

Wow I didn't realise how many traits characters in this mod picked up.

What about the North? Or did you conquer it when I was t looking?

Chapter XVIII: The Lair of the Wolf.

After seeing the stats, I have to say that Rook is not as bad as I thought. He may be a poor fighter, but he has the best military mind out of any of the King's save Jarado, the best diplomacy state out of all of them, and he apparantly tamed Drogon. Plus, he still has the brilliant Falyse to back him up if he can keep her loyalty. It will be interesting to see how he wins the support of the Ironborn.

His military stat is that high because of Drogon, as dragons give +10, without it he'd be the lowest of the kings. He is indeed a master diplomat though.

His military stat is that high because of Drogon, as dragons give +10, without it he'd be the lowest of the kings. He is indeed a master diplomat though.

That high diplomacy skill should help prevent rebellious with its positive opinion bonus.

Look at that Targaryen 'King'! No white hair and a double, nay a tripple chin! Long have been the days of Aegon the Conqueror indeed.

Also, Rook's moustache is just ridiculous.

Look at that Targaryen 'King'! No white hair and a double, nay a tripple chin! Long have been the days of Aegon the Conqueror indeed.

Also, Rook's moustache is just ridiculous.

We've gone from "the dragon has three heads" to "the dragon has three chins."

Edit: And, as amoustache afficionado, I assure that moustache is ridiculous. Ridiculously awesome!

Last edited:
Chapter XXIII

The Red Keep stood,
beset by Ironborn.
Across black water,
blew a storm.

Queen Yara flew,
on wings of dread.
A crossbow took her,
now she's dead.

But Falyse was wise,
in the Iron Way.
Her soldiers rallied,
and won the day.

Perhaps not my best work, but then I've never been one for descriptive poems and crude battle-songs. I'll leave such things to simple bards. Drowned Lord knows there are enough of them writing songs about the Blackwater, where my mother was struck down at the moment of her triumph, even as my dear sister led the charge to break the Targaryen foot.

Shame, really, that so much killing and barbarity was for naught. The bodies were barely cold before Falyse turned the army around and headed back to our lands, sending no ravens to us with news of the battle, keen to get to Pyke ahead of the news of our mother's passing, to call a kingsmoot before any other claimant had time to gather support.

There was one messenger she could not impede though. Drogon returned to Pyke, riderless and enraged, descending on the dragonpit like the fury of the Storm God himself. When news reached me, I knew my mother was dead.

Taking due time to observe the correct funerary rights, I began to approach the notable men of Pyke. Vouchsafing my claim and asking them if they wished to see another woman on the Seastone Chair. By the time Falyse arrived I had had weeks to prepare.

The Kingsmoot came, and many were the claims raised that night. The Greyjoy line has flourished with our conquests, and the blood of Balon is thought by some to be all the claim one needs. Claiming too were the great lords and famous captains, those who sought to supplant the Kraken with their renown and influence.

But it mattered not how many claims were made. I dissected them all. My tongue and mind have ever been my sharpest weapons, and that night I did not find them wanting. With ribald joke and cutting truth I dispatched my challengers, and stood, at last, a King.

My first order of business, naturally, concerned the dragon. Drogon was of quite monstrous proportions, and it simply would not do to have him rampaging around my capital. He would have to be yoked and set to purpose, and I was duty-bound to see it done.

Thankfully, even in those days I could be counted amongst the world's finest scholars in dragon lore. I had read every book in the library Balon built Daenerys, every scribble by my mother and aunt, and every dusty tome I could pry from the citadel of Oldtown through coercion and threat.

I knew the words to say, the movements to make, and for his part Drogon knew my scent at least. The old wyrm had danced this dance before, after all, and we soon came to agreement with one another.

Our first flight was certainly exhilarating, though I confess a certain sense of relief spread through me when we returned to solid ground.

The mundane business of Kingship called however, and I was soon bombarded with reports of instability in the south. Dontos Tyrell was apparently at war with Jarado the Conqueror. Seeking trouble with the Summer Islanders didn't seem like a terribly advisable course of action to me, but the Tyrell host certainly seemed up to the task.

Perhaps Jarado's luck had abandoned him, or perhaps the sixty thousand strong Reachman army proved a little too much for luck. Either way, reports indicated that the Summer Islander's were having the worst of it.

I assured my Ironborn the war would not affect us, and broke open my mother's hoarded coffers, granting charter to two new townships. One on Pyke, and the other not far from Lannisport, the place of my birth.

A year passed. The Summer Islander's rallied, and my wife Lyessa bore me another child, giving us one son and four daughters. Not long after I named her brother Lord Paramount of the North, returning the title to House Stark. It seemed fitting enough, and stilled her ceaseless mantra of 'there must always be a Stark in Winterfell'.

The most curious thing occurred in this time. I was approached by man unknown to me, who asked if I wished to join him in scheming against one Robert of Sky, who I had similarly never heard of. I shooed the foolish man away, but I wonder still if I should have intervened one way or another. The Drowned God moves in mysterious ways.

More troubling was talk that the captains were growing weary of the peace and town-building. The Ironborn are simple, violent, folk, and are wont to grow restless without the opportunity to do something horrible to someone every now and again. My captains wanted war with the Iron Throne, to avenge my mother and destroy the Targaryens once and for all.

I, though, was in no hurry for war. The smallfolk had suffered through the bloodthirsty reigns of my grandfather, aunt, and mother, but they would not suffer under me. To go to war was to sentence one's own people to suffering and death. If my captains were so desirous of slaughter and rapine, let them seek such things far from here, across the Narrow Sea.

The idea of a great reaving seemed to strike a chord with my savage minions, though I was a little taken aback when I learned they expected me to lead them. I was, of course, aghast at the thought, but Falyse reminded me of my oaths and duties and I grudgingly prepared to sail.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I like Rook! Maybe more than Asha, Balon and what's-her-name. May the good king Rook live a long and prosperous life (or not. Either way, interesting!)

I wonder if Rook being King will halt your expansion or whether you will come up with a reason that forces him to try to seize the Iron Throne or the Reach.

Congrats on your win sir. My new goal in game is to have House Badics kill your house and run around with your sword. ;)

In all reality it is a deserved win sir. I look forward to any future AARs you post as well as in my own AARs I will be certain to mention your House in updates just as I did with House Back and House Saul who were the winners with myself in the last competition.

Congrats on your win sir. My new goal in game is to have House Badics kill your house and run around with your sword. ;)

In all reality it is a deserved win sir. I look forward to any future AARs you post as well as in my own AARs I will be certain to mention your House in updates just as I did with House Back and House Saul who were the winners with myself in the last competition.

Thanks! I'm still a bit bowled over to be honest, lots of really high quality competition.

Thanks to everyone that voted for me, and of course the team for making the mod!

I'll be carrying on with this AAR until at the next update, maybe beyond if it my saves still work!