• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I seem to be at a crossroads here. Could probably take the Iron Throne with little difficulty, but I'm not sure if it wouldn't be more in Asha's character to just periodically raid the other kingdoms and take all their gold.

She certainly comes across as more peace-with-the-odd-bit-of-raiding at the Kingsmoot, but that was out of pragmatism. Asha with a dragon is a whole new deal.

So what do we think? Conquest or Plunder?

Conquest seems more Asha's style. Her peace plan at the Kingsmoot was all about seizing land to build a proper little empire, as opposed to just burning, looting and raping like the male claimants wanted. With a dragon and the wealth of the Westerlands behind her, no reason to settle for less than the entire western coast of Westeros. Conquering the Reach would be the obvious place to start, rich and alone. Sieze as much of the land as possible from the local lords to distribute to her followers, hope they start settling it with an Ironborn aristocracy. After a while, maybe hit the Iron Throne for Dorne or The North for the Riverlands.

If you want to be really true to Asha as characterized in books, I say take the Reach, and use at least some of the loot to build new towns/castles and populate them with Ironborn. Not that she wouldn't go reaving as well, or hesitate to strike the other kingdoms if they got in trouble.

Chapter XII

We returned to our lands far the wealthier for our adventure, and many were the tales of glory told to those that had stayed behind, at least by my Ironborn, my Westermen sang more sombre songs. Most on both sides spoke of the Battle of Rayonet, and the fury of the dragon. The Ironborn have long had fascination with the beasts, recalling the legend of how one of our greatest kings, Harren the Black, had defied Aegon the Conqueror and perished in dragonflame with all his sons.

Our greatest king perhaps. But not, I think, our greatest monarch.

The time came to recognise warriors that had held great role in our victory, chief among them my brother Dagon and Ser Gawen of House Marbrand. I awarded Dagon sizeable gift of gold, whilst to Marbrand I granted the hand of my sister Yara, though I made it clear that their children would be raised as Greyjoys.

My other sisters did not go neglected. The second of Sansa's girls, Lyanna, wed a Goodbrother of Great Wyk, whilst the youngest, Gwynesse, I took under my guidance whenever I was at Pyke. She loved to fight as much as Dagon had when I'd had him underfoot, and in time her proclivity became so well known that we attracted the attention of a Braavosi swordmaster, who crossed all of Westeros to seek out so promising a student. I would sooner Gwyn learned to fight with axe and shield, but all experience is to the good, and I allowed the Braavosi, to teach her what he knew. The man named himself Lazzaro, and soon became a fixture at court.

syrio.png

Time passed. Yara and Lyanna both bore strong sons, Dagon prospered as ever, and Amerei bore an heir to the Vale. But not all of Balon's get fared well that year. Word came to us from the north that my brother Theon had been slain in the lands beyond the wall, hacked down by some nameless wilding in a battle no-one shall remember. He was a fool, but I mourned my little brother, who could have been a king.

His was not the only death that ravens brought us from the North however, and the second was of far greater import. Robb Stark, The Young Wolf, had died, worn down by the stresses of forty years of Kingship and war. His son, Roger, was barely fit to be his father's shadow. Presumably favouring his mother's Frey heritage, Roger was a weak, foolish man, and his realm lay open to one with the will to take it.

Three hundred years ago the Ironborn had held the Riverlands, before Harren had burned, but we had the dragon now, and would reclaim what was ours. I gathered the captains at Pyke and made short journey to the Trident, encamping around The Twins, seat of House Frey, and knowing full well that Stark would have to march his forces past me to reach the Riverlands. Meanwhile, Dagon raised his banners at my command and marched on Riverrun, putting it to siege.

Sure enough, the Northmen fell on us at The Twins, and great battle ensued. The Starks held slight advantage of numbers, but we were able to meet them with fire and sword as they crossed the river and so emerged victorious.

nc1.png

The Northern army defeated, I turned attention to The Twins. As fortresses they are difficult to assault, straddling the river as they did, and I had little patience for long siege. I turned Drogon on the fortress, and burned the Freys from their homes like rats from a burning thatch.

To the South, Dagon took Riverrun and several surrounding castles, and the King in the North sued for peace. We took the Riverlands as our price and added them to our dominion. We travelled to Casterly Rock where Dagon held a great feast to celebrate another victory and I reflected that my grasp of war-making had grown considerable over the years. To marshal ninety thousands to war is no mean feat, even when one can visit quartermasters on dragonback.

tactics.png

Our celebrations were interrupted when the doors to the great hall swung open and messenger in Arryn livery of blue and white strode up before my place of honour. Custom would dictate that he greet the host first, but he was keen, it seemed, to share words with me. The messenger had come from Amerie our sister, wife to Lord Arryn of the Vale, and spoke of her great distress. Her husband had somehow caused Myrcella Lannister to doubt his loyalty to her and she had stripped him of his Lord Paramouncy, claiming it for herself. Amerie was, of course, sister to Myrcella as well, for she and Dagon sprang from union of Myrcella's mother and my Father, but she had chosen to seek my aid over that of her liege. She knew, I think, what course would be the surest to restoring her children's birthright.

We wasted no time, and once again gathered two sizeable hosts. This time Dagon would march on the Vale whilst I swept south and put King's Landing to siege. Gwin's swordmaster, Lazzaro, helped devise this strategy and I granted him command of my flank opposite Gawen Marbrand. For his own part Dagon chose as his seconds Robin of House Westerling and the Dothraki Drogo, son of one of Daenerys's bloodriders and named, liked Drogon, for her long dead Khal.

armies.png

We swept aside the armies of Myrcella before they had chance to unite and descended on King's Landing like angry swarm. This time we would not be sated by gold alone. I sent word to Myrcella that she must cede all claim to the Vale of Arryn or face the fury of my dragon.

She refused.

I think back to that day and wonder, am forced to wonder, just how differently the world would turn had she done otherwise. But I have never made idle threats. After all, I only needed to use Drogon to breech the gates and sow a little fear. My men would do the rest.

kingslanding.png

We would learn Kings Landing held a deadly secret. In the years of the Mad King, his alchemists had thrived on his love of fire and had built tremendous stockpile of the foul chemical known as Wildfire, which requires but a spark to burn hot enough to melt steel and stone.

Near as hot as dragonfire, but with fuel enough to burn for weeks.

How could I have known?

I directed Drogon to set fires across the city, but was caught unprepared for what happened when the flames licked around the alchemist's guild. A virulent green fireball exploded across the skyline, and ripped through the city like a great wave smashing through an ill-prepared fleet at sea.

Drogon's instinct's saved me, swooping higher just fast enough to avoid the blast, but as we cicled higher than we had ever been I could still feel the heat coming from Aegon's city as it burned.

In the Drowned God's Hall King Harren was no doubt looking on and laughing, perhaps slapping my father on the back, but all I could do was weep.

burn2.png

burn3.png

Myrcella somehow survived, and quickly offered surrender. I named Jon Arryn Lord Paramount of the Vale and he swore fealty to me before the Seastone Chair. My mind filled with the horror's of King's Landing, I resolved to seek no more war with Queen Myrcella. We both needed to attend to our people, and see old wounds healed.

But we had both reckoned without the ambition of our mutual half-brother. Dagon, a Lion with a Kraken's heart, saw the weakness of an Iron Throne shorn of the Vale and decided to make war of his own. He gathered his loyal bannermen, those who had helped him pacify the west and marched beside him under mine own banner in three great wars, and declared his own claim to the Iron Throne. I should have melted the cursed thing when I had opportunity.

Dagon is perhaps the most fearsome warlord in Westeros, and his armies brushed aside Myrcella's as if they did not even exist. He marched into the still smouldering ruins of King's Landing and captured Myrcella, taking her lands and titles for himself.

I received word from him not long after. He was King now, he told me, and the Westerlands could owe no more fealty to the Seastone Chair of Pyke.

dagonking.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Could we get a picture of Dagon and se his skills again? Have they changed?

I have a feeling Dagons days are numbered.

Could we get a picture of Dagon and se his skills again? Have they changed?

Sure.

kingdagon.png

Twenty six isn't a massive martial score, but it's the highest in the game at the moment, tied with me on Drogon. He's also got a double ambition malus, which makes him straight up hate me.

As for his evil deeds, well...let's just say you don't want to be Myrcella right now.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I see he has a matrilinage marriage. To whom? Which dynasty?

Btw: Bloody good show!

The answer, as always, is to kill it with fire.

Also, as a bastard how did Dagon get a claim on a Throne, either Iron or Seastone?

On the upside, once he's dead there's a fair chance for you to inherit his sword, as the AI seems to prefer to give it to relatives of the same dynasty rather than heirs of different dynasties.

The answer, as always, is to kill it with fire.

Also, as a bastard how did Dagon get a claim on a Throne, either Iron or Seastone?

On the upside, once he's dead there's a fair chance for you to inherit his sword, as the AI seems to prefer to give it to relatives of the same dynasty rather than heirs of different dynasties.

The Lannister's must have picked one up somewhere, probably when Stannis booted them off the throne, so he got it from Cersei. Only a weak claim, but he could press it against a woman.

I don't think I'll get the blade, as he's not in my dynasty and there are a fair few Lannisters still about.

My best bet at the moment is to kill all Tarlys. There are only about three of them left. I'd just need to wait until Yara's son grows of age.

I put 100 million ducats on a reaving in the next update. (Unless she is already on one and I missed it)

Also, who is the brother of Dagon that is King?

Man, I just don't like matrilinal marriages. :p I even try to marry bastards into the same dynasty just so it doesn't irrate me so much. All well. I will say this about him, he is a very angry looking man!

I say you should go and conquer the Reach. You have devastated the Iron Throne and King's Landing more than often enough, it's time to give the roses their turn. Conquer them wholesale and replace the rose lords with true Ironborn.

I put 100 million ducats on a reaving in the next update. (Unless she is already on one and I missed it)

Also, who is the brother of Dagon that is King?

Joffrey I imagine, since he died in office so to speak.

Man, I just don't like matrilinal marriages. :p I even try to marry bastards into the same dynasty just so it doesn't irrate me so much. All well. I will say this about him, he is a very angry looking man!

Yeah, I wish I'd had an available Greyjoy lady for him to marry. I won't miss a few less Lannisters in the world though.

I say you should go and conquer the Reach. You have devastated the Iron Throne and King's Landing more than often enough, it's time to give the roses their turn. Conquer them wholesale and replace the rose lords with true Ironborn.

First I have to get the Westerlands back from my dastardly brother. Then I agree, time to pick some flowers.

There is a character screen still. It's not on the top but in the bottom right corner now.

Also enjoying the aar. Now I am hoping for a war between the two of you and Dagon kills you and takes your dragon.

How do you know if it's the highest in the game? IIRC there is no characters screen anymore. (I'm not saying you're lying, just curious how you know this)

There is still a character screen, they just moved the button down to the bottom right of screen below the minimap, when they put in the factions button in the top left.

The destruction of King's Landing was pretty amazing, that since there was no Battle of Blackwater, all of Aerys' wildfire was waiting for Asha's match to set it off.