• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You get less from them being a puppet. A puppet nation is forced to acquiesce to any military requests, and it also is unable to conduct any sort of diplomacy with other nations. You don't get access to their market though: a SOI, on the other hand, guarantees military compliance, but also assimilate that nation's pops into your common market, which is ideal.

If you will sphere them first you can't make them puppet, but If you will puppet them first you can still influence them with diplomatic way. So the question what's better sound quite silly to me cuz if you are going to puppet them, there is no limitation which wouldn't allow you to sphere them and if you think that spending infamy on puppeting them is not worth it, you can always just sphere them for free. There is just no a reasonable possibility to choose between it. Or just sphere them or puppet and SOI.

Creating puppets has its advantage. Allows you to create your own empire without the need for annexing. Instead of lots of wars to take over one nation which can be time consuming and costs a lot of bad boy, you can just wage 1 war and then own that country. Having lots of puppets can be a good alternative to the good old "taking over regions" method of expansion. Plus it gives your allies in times of war.

Creating puppets has its advantage. Allows you to create your own empire without the need for annexing. Instead of lots of wars to take over one nation which can be time consuming and costs a lot of bad boy, you can just wage 1 war and then own that country. Having lots of puppets can be a good alternative to the good old "taking over regions" method of expansion. Plus it gives your allies in times of war.

They're completely different though because you don't get access to the goods they produce. If you conquer a territory, all of the RGOs and factories within that territory are 'yours', the pops are yours (ie you tax them, can recruit them as soldiers, etc), and so on and so forth. With a puppet, you get none of these things.

MY question, is what happens when you puppet and sphere a country, and then it ascends to Great Power status? Did you just hold this countries hand and guide it to greatness, only to have to compete with it now?

MY question, is what happens when you puppet and sphere a country, and then it ascends to Great Power status? Did you just hold this countries hand and guide it to greatness, only to have to compete with it now?

Often, however, sphereing will damage it's economy and puppeting it will both lower it's prestige and prevent it from declaring war, so in theory it is not too likely for this to happen.

Often, however, sphereing will damage it's economy and puppeting it will both lower it's prestige and prevent it from declaring war, so in theory it is not too likely for this to happen.

Makes sense. But I'm in the process of trying to unify the Italian states into a single nation, acting on their behalf as Big Brother France. It seems plausible that a unified Italy would be capable of rising to the Top 8.

Makes sense. But I'm in the process of trying to unify the Italian states into a single nation, acting on their behalf as Big Brother France. It seems plausible that a unified Italy would be capable of rising to the Top 8.

Hence why you try to find the happy median between strong puppets that can ascend to GP status and weak OPM puppets that might as well not exist. Try to divide vassal lands so that you get some militarily/economically competent allies, not potential rivals or city-state backwaters.

Actually, in AHD Italy starts as a Great Power, so I'm assuming that once it is unified it is easy to become one.

So basically the message here, is to puppet and then sphere all the city-states that exist in Italy Proper, without actually unifying them. Allowing you to hold puppet mastery over a de facto Italy without the threat of a real Italy rising above you.

So basically the message here, is to puppet and then sphere all the city-states that exist in Italy Proper, without actually unifying them. Allowing you to hold puppet mastery over a de facto Italy without the threat of a real Italy rising above you.

Hmm.. if I remember right puppets can't rise to Great Power status, but spheres can (lost Japan)

A One Province Minor, you need atleast 2 states to become a GP

Wow, that's interesting. Is there any logic behind it? How did you find out about it? And what happens if you're ranked in the top 8 - are you artificially kept at #9, or are you simply not a great power?