• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Three Fawns

Saving an Enemy

Paul Badics
(March 298)​

This battle had been far simpler then the last time he had been in this region. Instead of being outnumbered two to one, he had outnumbered his enemy by this margin. He only had eight thousand when they went through Old Anchor, but Lord Hardryn saw reason when he was given the choice. Either his men or himself could stay in the castle, the other went to battle. The man wasn’t a complete fool at least.

Watching the last thousand men of Andar’s flee west he thought of pursuing them. “Let’s go enjoy our feast. The Lady Anya will give us a feast won’t she? For saving her?” Ser Creighton was a coward, a glutton, and a fool, but he was at least right about this. It was time to rest after their long march and battle. They could always pursue tomorrow.

Ignoring the man’s question he rode towards the great gate of Ironoaks. Both gates showed a great tree on either and opened up when he approached. Out of the gate rode a party of thirty led by an elderly woman. At her side rode men and women of her family though he only recognized one of them. Giving the man a smile he fell back in the group until he could no longer be seen. “That was quite cruel of you Lord Badics. My poor cousin Wallace still has nightmares of you slamming your fist against his helm. Some nights it gets so bad that he has to now sleep out in the country home just so he does not wake everyone from his screaming.”

Seeing the rings under her eyes Paul said, “I’m certain this siege has been tough for you. With Ser Wallace’s screams and the enemy around you. Who would have thought it would have been an enemy who came and saved you.”

“We are not enemies Lord Badics. We simply saw differently in regards to the future of the Vale. You saw a minor Lord who is drunk on power should rule and I did not.”

“Do you truly think that I am Lord Baelish’s servant? I serve the Lady Arryn.”

“You say that with such conviction, but we both know you serve yourself. For the time being it is more useful to serve House Arryn. Tomorrow it could very well be another.” After the shortest pause and a little whispering between her and a young man at her side she said, “I’m sorry. That was wrong of me to say. You saved us and I should be more courteous as my nephew Donnel says.”

“Don’t apologize. Simply feed our men and allow them some time within your walls. Oh and give Ser Creighton a feast. He thinks he deserves one. I ask for nothing for myself. If you need me then you can find me with my men.” With that he rode off to begin planning the burials of his men and what they would do next. Redfort was the most likely target.

Last edited:
Three Fawns

Freedom?

Orys Baratheon
(December 298)​

Running through the castle he chased after his Uncle Jon. Jon was six years younger then him, but he was still required by his grandfather to call him Uncle and his grandfather King Tywin. He was never called King, but his Uncles had promised he was one. He didn’t feel like it though. The boy had once again come into his room and stolen his things. When he had brought it before King Tywin the first time Jon had simply lied and he was the one struck for it. All he had done was bring the matter before his grandfather but he was the one being punished. All he had left from his time in King’s Landing was that wooden sword given to him by his Uncle Jaime.

Jaime had promised to teach him to use it one day, but he had not seen his Uncle in nearly two years now. Both Jaime and the little one, Tyrion, had promised to visit him, but they never came. It was just him, Jon, and the King of the Rock. It was so lonely. None of the servants or guards would speak to him. Only his Uncle Jon and King Tywin. From time to time a Maester or Knight would instruct him and Uncle Jon, but when he asked questions or said anything he was simply ignored.

Coming around one of the corners he realized he could no longer see Uncle Jon. Where had the boy gone off to this time? Stopping in place he looked each way before returning to the hall he had just left. Where had he gone? He took each hall and stopped whenever he heard noise, but he could not find him. When he took yet another hall he was surprised to see a large bearded guard standing before him. “You don’t happen to know where I am or where my Uncle Jon has gone do you?”

“Get lost King Orys?” He spoke to him. He actually spoke to him.

“I was chasing after my Uncle when he suddenly disappeared down here. I don’t know where he went, but he has my sword.” Pulling his hands from behind him the guard was holding the wooden sword. “That is it.”

“I found it on the ground here with a little bird. It flew away already though.” Handing the wooden sword to him the guard smiled and said, “Now I will show you to your Uncles.”

7eb45e52-0a5e-4832-85a7-58b44aab1773_zps812df448.jpg

Last edited:
Three Fawns

I will be Queen

Caleigh Badics
(June 299)​

Moonsgrey was hers. At least it was with her father at war and her twin busy in his own keep. That left just her and her mother old enough to be in charge. However, Hilary was still not right in the head since her father’s betrayal. He would be home soon and when he was she would lose all the little power she had gained. She missed being Queen. No longer could she command armies of servants around. Nor was her father’s treasury as deep as that of King’s Landing. She did not love Robert, but she did love what marrying him gave her.

She was so lost in though she nearly ran over her little brother when stopped in front of her. “I’m father’s squire now. He needs me. What if something happens because I’m not there? I command you as Father’s squire to let me go to him.”

Snapping him on the ear she said, “He will be home any day now. The war is over and Andar Royce is being taken to the Eyrie. Now leave me alone about this.” Without waiting for any reply she pushed him out of her way and continued walking towards Maester Eustace’s ravenry. She had seen the arrival of the raven and could only hope that it was this one she was waiting for.

The last three had all been from her father and nothing she really cared about. Lady Anya had been freed, Redfort was captured, and then Andar Royce captured. Those were things important to him and the Vale, not her. This had to be the raven. If it was something foolish like Andar given to Petyr she would snap.

She would be Queen. She did not care if it was to a man twice her age again, half her age, or her own age. She would be Queen.

Before she even got to Maester Eustace, Caleigh saw him running towards her. “Lady Caleigh your message has arrived from the Hand.” Giving her the small piece of paper she quickly read it.

’When he comes of age’​

She would be Queen again.

Last edited:
Three Fawns

Talk with Son

Bryton Badics
(September 301)​

His son was only four years old now, but he still needed to understand all that was happening. He maybe his son, but he took after his mother far more then he took after him. He had his mother’s dark hair and dark skin of the Dornish. Sometimes he wondered if he was even his, but he did his best not to think that way.

“Ballabar can you tell me where your grandfather is right now?”

“He went to Heart of Home.”

“That is right, your grandfather is at Heart’s Home. Do you know what he is doing there?”

“He is playing knight.”

dfe75ba5-efe3-47a6-8af9-0a1979905251_zps30426f8f.jpg

“He is indeed. He is fighting so you will inherit even more once grandfather dies.” This obviously went over his head so he let it fall. “Do you remember who I said died yesterday?”

“Wock man.”

Wock man? Oh, “Yes, Tywin Lannister, King of the Rock is now dead. Do you remember why he is important?” To this Ballabar only stared at him. “Tywin was father to Queen Cersei…”

“Caleigh Queen,” Ballabar interrupted.

“Your right Caleigh is Queen now, but before her was Queen Cersei.”

“Caleigh Queen!”

“Yes, Caleigh Queen. His other two children from his first marriage was Jaime and Tyrion. Jaime is the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard and Tyrion is Hand of the King.”

“Wock King.”

“No, they protect and guide Cersei’s son Orys.” Ballabar’s only response to this was staring out the window at the clouds. “Run along Ballabar.” Without being told twice Ballabar was out of the room. He did not like to brag, but he thought of himself a very intelligent man. His son however seemed to be a complete fool. Yes, he was only four, but by the time he was turning four he was in the yard practicing with Ser Durran answering Maester Eustace’s question. His son seemed to only want to stare at the clouds and play.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot about this chapter of Brytons. He actually has two. This one and the last.

Last edited:
Three Fawns

Play the Game

Paul Badics
(July 302)​

Sitting at the man’s side Paul dabbed a cloth against the sides of the man’s mouth where blood was running. No matter what the Maesters did he would not get better. One moment he was happy and enjoying life and the next he was coughing up blood. His energy failed him next and then his eye sight was lost. All day he laid in bed coughing up blood and staring into darkness. The Maesters bled him, gave him herbs, did all that they could think of, but in the end they were unable to do anything for the man. He was dying and everybody including him knew it. With only a few days left to live he had sent the raven requesting Lord Paul’s presence.

Now here he sat with him. Wiping the blood that dripped from his mouth, holding him when the coughing fits took him, but mostly they just talked. They spoke of their children, of Lyn Corbray’s early demise which Paul had used to claim Heart’s Home, of the affairs of King’s Landing, and they spoke of Lady Barbara’s future. The sick man had wanted to see her married to Orys Baratheon, but his daughter had made that impossible. He knew there was nothing that the sick man could do, but he still had to ask, “Would you object to me marrying her to my youngest son? They seem to get along really well and I think he would be a good match for her.”

“Gwayne is a good child. He will be a great knight like his father and will make you proud. If she does not marry Gwayne I fear another will try to force a bad match on her or Lady Anya will try to get Harry Arryn to wed her. I would not object to this union.”

At this time he was caught up in another series of coughs. Throughout them Paul held the man so he did not fall from bed like he had done once before. The man was lean, but this sickness had taken every last bit of fat he had on him. It looked as if he was nothing but skin and bones.

Once the coughing had stopped Paul cleaned off the blood again from his mouth and chin. “Lord Badics, I thank you for coming here to see me. You are the only man I ever considered my equal. You have done much with your life and I only wished I could have seen you accomplish more. Just remember don’t stop playing the game.” With one last smile he was dead. Petyr Baelish was dead.

ab3c759f-2bdf-440b-8c7d-39fd8aafd529_zps9387737f.jpg

With this man’s death that meant he would rule the Vale as Protector. No other would dare question his rule.

79a93401-abd3-4a60-9545-1d12b3c68ebf_zpsafd15f71.jpg

Last edited:
Three Fawns

Shadows

Lady Hilary
(December 304)​

“I know you want to go meet your future husband, but I really don’t care what a bastard wants. I’m only happy that my husband is getting rid of you finally. Soon enough you will be married to the Bastard of Winterfell, Jon Snow, but until then you will do as I say. I may not be your mother, but I am still the Lady of Moonsgrey.” In a rush of legs and skirts she watched as her husband’s bastard run from her in tears. She hated spending any time around her and could not wait until the child was gone to the North. Once that happened her family would be good and happy again.

61ed39e4-b937-4a1b-bd33-69d60768e78a_zpsc5626ea8.jpg

Caleigh was now married to King Orys. She missed her daughter, but Caleigh was happy. She still could not believe that her husband would marry his daughter both to the father and son so his daughter would be Queen.

cbc4aab4-ff2f-48ca-8390-c0e4f027d219_zpsa87af52d.jpg

Hopefully Bryton would visit again soon too. It was still hard to believe that she had three grandchildren. Ballabar was now seven, Harrold was going on two years, and the baby she still hadn’t met was only a month old. From what she heard Benedar was like Ballabar and took after their moth. Only little Harrold had his father’s hair and for that matter her own. Maybe she would go and see them? But it had been so long now since she had left Moonsgrey. She hadn’t even traveled to King’s Landing for Caleigh’s wedding. No, Bryton would come see her soon she was certain. He was such a good boy.

He was her little boy. He took after and nothing of her husband. Bryton was good to his wife, he loved her, and did not ride off to war every chance he got. This time her damned husband went off to fight Howland Reed, but he never even made it their. Marching north with his ten thousand men he only made it to the crossing she was told before word came that Howland Reed was slain in battle and the war was over.

Unable to help herself she started laughing as she took the stairs down from the tower she lived in. “What a fool.” With each step her laughs grew louder and louder. Almost everything was the way it should be. It was then that the shadow moved and she was sailing head first down the stairs.

e6091cc1-71cc-4f30-b585-efa82d7dfd85_zps826618de.jpg

Last edited:
Three Fawns

What big hands you have

Barbara Arryn
(September 305)​

Holding the giant of a man’s hand she could not help but marvel at the fact that this hand was bigger then her entire head. He was her protector and the father of the boy she cared so much for, but he was scary. It was so hard to think around such a person.

“I am so sorry for your loss Lord Badics. She has been your wife of…” such big hands. Realizing she had lost concentration again she tried to remember what it was that Lady Anya had helped her prepare to say. “Wife of twenty-two years. The mother of your five children. She was your rock just as you are the rock of the Vale.”

15508bc9-e526-43f6-a3c6-0156d13b8aa9_zps2b742ab9.jpg

What else was she supposed to say? Something about the war. What was it? “We welcome you home from your war to help your newest son. We only wish that your return would have brought better tidings.” Finally able to let go of his hand she stood up. Even seated this man was taller then her. Going to her tip-toes she kissed him on the forehead. “I welcome you home Castellan and Protector of the Vale.”

That was what she had been told to say, but he was not reacting. It was almost as if he was dead himself. What else could she do or say to help?

“Thank you for coming to see me Lady Barbara. I will come to the Eyrie as soon as I can. For now I just need time.” Giving him one more kiss on the forehead she left her giant. It was so sad to see him hurt like this.

Last edited:
Three Fawns

Questioning a Prisoner

Maester Eustace
(January 306)​

“So what made you think this was a good idea?”

“I don’t have to speak to you. Now leave me alone.”

Sitting in the cell with Benedar Belmore, Eustace only smiled at the man. “Benedar you should really answer my questions since Lord Badics has agreed that I will choose your judgment. Now as I asked before what made you think this was a good idea?’

At first he received nothing but silence. But in the end he broke down and said, “Your Lord stole that which is mine. Strongsong is mind so I am the Lord of Strongsong. Your Lord has no right on the High Lordship of Strongsong.”

c774392a-16a9-4a59-aa7d-071925ea0111_zpsa683e9db.jpg

“You say he had no right? What of the letter that Lord Jon Arryn had written? He told Lord Badics he could be the High Lord of Strongsong if he was strong enough. How is that no right?”

“The man was dead before he took my keep. That letter no longer held weight. Strongsong is mine.”

“Just because Lord Arryn died before your army lost does not change the fact that he gave Lord Badics permission to claim your title for himself. Now does it?”

“Strongsong is mine. Strongsong is mine.”

Well it appears he would get no more from that line of questioning. On to the next. “What can you tell me of the battle?” When no response came forth Eustace stood and said, “Very Well. I will inform Lord Badics you are not forthcoming and we will have you executed.”

That got a response from him. “No, no!!! I will answer. I will answer your questions.”

“Then tell me about the battle.” This time he stood as he listened.

“I sent my son Cador to take your castle, but on the way he was intercepted by Paul with three thousand of his men. Cador outnumbered him by two thousand men and it looked as if he would defeat your Lord. That was until Paul’s son struck from the rear. Licking his lips Benedar stared off into the distance. “My men were surrounded. It was a complete slaughter. In the end only a mere fraction of my men were able to get away. Cador was not one of them.” Benedar fell back into silence.

95925de2-6247-408c-94a4-1fdb62353cb5_zpsaf3af51c.jpg

“Do you now accept Lord Badics as your rightful liege?”

“Would you accept a man who killed your only son? I want him to pay for what he has done. Only blood will apease me. Strongsong is mine.”

“Tsk, Tsk,” was all he said as Maester Eustace left the cell. As he locked the door behind him he could hear Benedar repeating to himself that Strongsong was his over and over. The man was broken. He had nothing left to live for and was no threat to his Lord.

Last edited:
Three Fawns

Snow and Stone

Terrance Badics
(August 307)

15a640e1-5e3c-4473-9fb1-c7e67376f8d1_zps40d203c4.jpg

Besides their father Terrance was the only other Badics who treated his bastard sister well. It was not her fault she was born out of wedlock. Even if his father would not claim her and his siblings cursed her for breaking up their parents he still had a soft place in his heart for her. He could still remember the day three years ago when she burst into his room. She was so alive and full of joy. He had not seen her like that since he was able to convince their father to allow her to attend Bryton’s knighting. It was the day she was told she would be marrying Jon Snow the bastard son of the late Eddard Stark. She was to marry a bastard like herself, but he was rumored to be a great knight who would make a fine husband.

Today though Terrance found himself giving his little sister a hug and trying to console her. Father had just informed her that she was no longer to wed Jon Snow. After Robb Stark, his half-brother, attempted to reclaim the North for the Starks he was banished to the wall. Robb was less lucky and his head now decorated one of the towers of Winterfell as a warning to any other who tried to take the North from King Orys.

23a19e95-622d-458a-8766-1d59041c8eac_zpsa0148ca5.jpg

“There, there. Everything will be better soon enough. I promise you.”

Trying to hold in a sob Tyana asked, “How can it be better? My husband is on the Wall and can not take a wife. What will happen to me now?”

Patting her back he held her for a few moments as her crying increased in strength again. Once it subsided again he said, “I will make sure that father finds you a new husband.”

“Promise?” she sniveld into his shoulder.

“I promise Tyana.” Standing up he lifted up his sister. Of all the Badics children he was the only one to get his father’s immense height, though even he stood a little taller then himself. “Now I believe it is time we go downstairs. Father is expectuing us. Can you believe it Tyana? In a few minutes I will be Ser Terrance.”

“Do you think father will make you a Lord during the ceremony like he did Bryton?”

“No, I am just happy to be knighted here in Strongsong. Father is even making Benedar Belmore witness my knighting. His first action as Lord of Strongsong is to knight me and I will be content with that. Maybe one day he will make me a Lord, but not today.”

Last edited:
Three Fawns

A gutted fish

Paul Badics
(May 308)

26e6ec4f-3b8f-404d-bdd1-1548d3db920f_zps9d01357a.jpg

“My Lady, Brynden Tully was far to honorable for such an action. If you had spoken with me before making this decision I could have told you that.”

The blonde Lady looked up at him with red shot eyes. “But the Lady Anya had said that he would make a far better Lord of the Riverlands then Edmure Tully.”

ck2_108_zpsafc412e8.png

So it was Lady Anya who had provoked the girl to make such a move. She could not have thought that the Blackfish would have gone for it. The man was far to honorable to overthrow his own nephew. He would not have spoke against the idea to Lady Barbara either. His only real course of action was to kill himself. What was she thinking? Unless that was her plan the entire time. With the Blackfish’s death he lost one of his strongest supporters and Lady Barbara lost her Knight of the Gates. Could she really had planned it all herself?

“I know you thought of Lord Tully like an Uncle, but he is no more. He has gone on with his brother Lord Hoster now.” Holding the girls hand Paul could remember nearly three years ago when she had done the same after his wife’s death. “He may be dead, but he would want you to continue on living your life. So If I may propose would you be willing to agree to a marriage?”

Snatching her hands back the Lady Barbara had a look of fear in her eyes. “I am sorry Lord Badics, but you are far to old for me.”

Realizing her mistake Paul began to chuckle but coming from a man his size it sounded more like a great rumble. “No Lady Barbara not me. I will not marry again. I was proposing that you marry my son.”

“I thank you again Lord Badics, but I am to young to marry still. Your son Lord Terrance of Heart’s Home is a good knight and a worthy son, but I love another.”

“You mistake me again. I did not presume to marry you to my son Terrance. His eyes are set on another he met during a Tourny in the south. No, I thought you would marry my son Gwayne once you have both come of age.” This brought silence and it is as he had thought. The person she spoke of loving was indeed his youngest son. “Any children of this union would of course be of your House. I would not expect for children from this union of the youngest son of such a minor House to take our name.”

“You are not the Lord of a minor House, Lord Badics. You are the greatest Knight in all the Vale.”

“I thank you for saying that, but it is the Falcon that rules the Vale. It should stay that way.”

It took a few moments, but finally Barbara smiled and hugged him. “I will marry Gwayne.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had quite a bit of free time between classes today because one of my Finals was pushed back two days. I hope you all enjoyed the first twelve chapters of Book 2. There are only three more to go, but I have a class to get to now. Those chapters are also written down in a notebook and I simply have to write them out here. Photobucket's edit is currently down so I was unable to edit the picture of the War against the Riverlands down to size. That will be fixed on Wednesday when I post the three remaining chapters. Those three chapters are a Gwayne, Paul and finally Bryton.

Please let me know what you think of Book 2 and if you have any further critiques.

Last edited:
Three Fawns

A Union

Gwayne Badics
(March 309)​

Here he stood in the of the Eyrie. Since he was only six years old he had lived here and now after this moment he would be the Lord of all the Vale. The youngest son of a minor noble would soon become one of the strongest men in all of Westeros. The only problem was that he would only have his power through a woman. Maybe one day he would have full power for himself, but as of today he would be happy with the power he has gained.

The vows and prayers had come to an end and it was time for the changing of the cloaks. Lady Barbara’s father the late Jon Arryn had passed away many years ago so in his place was his own father. There was nobody else who could fill in for Lord Arryn except maybe the King himself, but he was not attending the marriage since it came so suddenly. With Yohn Royce at the Wall and Lord Petyr and Brynden in their graves the only one Lady Barbara as well as the rest of the court would agree to filling in as her father was his own. Andar Royce, Nyckolas Saul, and Petyr Wydman had all requested the honor, but in the end his father had been the choice.

He watched his father approach his new bride and the man was forced to bend over to remove her blue velvet maiden cloak. As he removed the falcon clasp which held the cloak together Gwayne could hear his father say, “I hope you find happiness. May your days be full of joy and children.” With that he undid the clasp and gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek.

Taking the bride’s cloak from his eldest brother, Bryton, Gwayne could not help but look at all the witnesses of this union. There were many Lords and Ladies of the Vale as well as some from elsewhere. Theses men and women were some of the most powerful people in all the Vale. Spotting his bastard sister and her new husband, Davos Storm, he realized that there were also some of the weakest people in the Vale here too. As befitting they stood towards the back alongside Ser Creighton and his father’s knights. The only knight who stood towards the front was Ser Nyckolas Saul. Though a knight he was still respected by the men and women of the Vale as a great warrior and one of his father’s greatest supporters. Knights should not think so greatly of themselves. No, he would ensure that this man learn his place now that he was Lord of the Vale.

With the cloth of gold cloak in hand he held it out so that it unraveled. The cloak was a beautiful piece of work which his father had made for this very occasion. The one he had used in his own was just a plain yellow cloth since he could not afford such a fine cloak back then. Once the cloak had fallen completely open Gwayne and the rest of the people in the septy could see the inlaid rubies which made up the chevron and onyx that was in the shape of the mighty black steed of House Badics. Laying the cloak across her shoulders Gwayne took the Falcon clasp from his father to keep the cloak from falling. It was this clasp which signified that children of their union would be of House Arryn and not Badics.

Positioning each other so they stood face to face in front of the Septon the two golden haired people smiled. It was Lady Barbara who was to speak first and she said, “With this kiss I pledge my love, and take you for my lord and husband.”

“With this kiss I pledge my love and take you for my lady and wife.” Leaning into each other the two kissed both gently but full of passion at the same time. They had both wanted to do this for so many years that it was hard to believe that they were doing it now.

When the kiss finally broke the Septon called out, “Here in the sight of gods and men I do solemnly proclaim Gwayne of House Badics and Barbara of House Arryn to be man and wife, one flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever, and cursed be the one who comes between them.”

Last edited:
Since there is so much time between chapters do you want me to post the month and year of each chapter at the beginning? Would that make it easier for some of you to follow the time period? Or just keep how it is?

Since there is so much time between chapters do you want me to post the month and year of each chapter at the beginning? Would that make it easier for some of you to follow the time period? Or just keep how it is?

I don't think it's a huge deal, but that or something like it would probably be a good idea. I just read a lot of the last few chapters in a row and was getting a small bit confused when characters were suddenly dead.

Great writing by the way. Loved on the chapters on this page

All the previous chapters have a date added after the person who is in the chapter. It is a simple month and year.

I'm glad you enjoyed these past couple of chapters. I will be posting the last two of this book today.

Three Fawns

Coming to the End

Paul Badics
(July 310)​

It was still unbelievable that he was a grandfather. It only felt like yesterday that he was fighting at the Trident alongside Lyn Corbray and Robert Baratheon. Both of their lives had been cut short and he still lived on. But a grandfather, he never imagined it. Not only to just one or two but six grandchildren. Two of them would one day become Kings of these lands he could only hope. Byton’s boy Ballabar would rule Dorne in time hopefully as Caleigh’s son Gladden once Orys Baratheon passed on.

Spinning to the right Paul’s blade met that of Durran’s and then to the left it knocked Ser Denys’ aside as well. He had missed the feel of steel in his hands and the beautiful ring of blades stricking each other. There was no music sweeter than this sound. It was five years now since he had put on his armor and ridden off to war. Not since Benedar Belmore had dared opposed him had an enemy had the guts to meet him in the field.

When word hade come that Orys Baratheon was marching on Casterly Rock he believed it was time for him to lead the men of the Vale to a great victory against Tywin Lannister’s son, Jon. He was but a boy, but the Westlands would be a great victory. It was not to be so though. His youngest had taken the armies himself as Lord of the Vale he saw it as his duty.

What a waste that had been. Leaving the Vale behind with thirty thousand men Paul envied his son. At least until the ravens had started coming in. First the boy had detoured the army north so he could see the Twins, then at Riverrun he camped for close to a month to “forage”, and after that he turned the army around so he could show his men where his father had fought at the Trident and where a crown was won. What an embarassment that had been. Gwayne and the Vale forces never even made it into the Westlands before the war was over and the crown of the Rock was destroyed. Thankfully the King did not need the Vale’s assistance or else this embarrasment might have ruined him.

Clashing blades once more with Ser Denys a call of “Lord Badics” roared behind him. Somehow it had been enough to distract him and his sword went tumbling from his hands at Ser Durran’s strike. For hours he had watched his sons train against Ser Durran while Maester Eustace asked questions and he never once saw any of them lose their sword. The man said one thing to him and his blade goes flying. Oh how he was getting old.

1e152abd-f091-4a59-a85d-203f6a7a14fd_zpsc2390e32.jpg

“Yes Maester Eustace?”

Bending over the Maester picked up his sword and handed it over to him. “You may be needing this soon Lord Badics.”

“What are you talking about Maester?”

“King Robert’s two younger sons, Harbert and Maric Baratheon, have both used the recent war in the Westlands to claim power. Harbert though older has less friends and so is now in Summerhall claiming to be the new Lord of the Iron Islands. From what I hear he has gained the support of a few of the Captains while most follow Rodrik Harlaw who still pays homage to King Orys.”

510e9d12-a2e3-4102-841e-4370472c7914_zpsccacbefe.jpg

“Well that is one of the brothers. What of the younger? This Merick fellow.”

“Maric, Lord Badics. He is much more liked and more importantly he was raised in the North by Roose Bolton after King Robert died. Somehow he convinced the Lords of the North to name him their liege. Only Smalljon Umber refused to bend the knee I hear.”

It was hard to believe. Just as one of the three kingdoms that split away was being mended, two more were broken. All three of the Crowned Stag’s children were claiming sections of the land for themselves. He now lived in the age of the Three Fawns.

Three Fawns

A New Beginning

Bryton Badics
(August 311)​

Standing in the Mountains of Moon, Bryton looked down upon the stack of stones which covered his father. Since the days of the first Badics the Lords of Moonsgrey and his descendants had been buried in this fashion. The Starks of Winterfell had their great crypts, but the Badics family did not need to see the faces of their ancestors. The Mountains was their home and it was to the Mountains they were returned in unmasked graves.

It still felt surreal that he was now Lord of Strongsong. Just last month he could remember standing in the halls of his father’s keep. Lord Paul sat upon his chair in judgement alongside Lady Barbara, Maester Albar who had replaced Maester Eustace when he left to the Citadel to become the newest Archmaester and Septon Nestor. These four sat in judgement to the crimes of Benedar Belmore.

d7fe8c3c-1e62-4c4f-9735-9d450f35e471_zps4bc28eab.jpg

The man had spoke first of falsely being imprisoned, the murder of his son, the theft of his title and castle, and finished with the death of Jon Arryn. He spoke with conviction, but it was obvious to all that the four had not been turned. When he brought forth his own evidence of the letter from Lord Arryn, the rebellion of Benedar Belmore and finally how Cadar Belmore died in this rebellion the judgement was made.

Guilty!!! The man was convicted for treason against his rightful Lord. He was given a choice though. The noose or he could go north and spend his final days on the Wall. He of course chose the Wall where he would be met by Loras Egen who had been set to the Wall in Lord Paul’s first victory while Benedar was sent in his last.

Looking at all those who had come to say goodbye Bryton could not help but feel sadness. His father had made many friends during his days; Robert Baratheon, Lyn Corbray, Brynden Tully, Yohn Royce and Petyr Baelish. All of these men had gone before him. Besides his family there was only Archmaester Eustace, Ser Durran, and Septon Nestor who had come to pay their respects to the fallen knight. The Lady Barbara had sent her love, but she instead attended a Tourney in Ironoaks alongside her husband.

His father had gone from being a minor Lord of the Vale to one of the greatest knights in all the land. He was a champion of the lists and undefeated in battle. Protector of the Vale for eight years until Lady Barbara came of age. His daughter was a Queen and his grandchildren would be princes of Dorne, future kings of the Iron Throne and Lords of the Vale. Few had accomplished more in their lives and he was the first Badics since the original who made their family known.

Bowing his head one last time to the pile of rocks Bryton said, “We best be going. King Orys has given out the call to all those who are loyal to prepare themselves.” With that Bryton watched as each person left the mountainside. Some said a few words or touched the rocks.

The last to go was Septon Nestor. Placing a lantern upon the rocks he said, “To light the way old friend.” And with that Lord Paul Badics was laid to rest.

1fb62cf2-440c-4966-b8aa-e508887d37aa_zps7cbf3f95.jpg

And with that Book 2, Three Fawns, comes to an end. I hope you enjoyed this book. I will beginning posting the next book next weekend.

So what were your thoughts of this past book? Anything you liked? Didn't? I'm sorry if the story wasn't as entertaining as the last.

If you are interested in any spoilers feel free to click below.
Book Three's title is War of the North and Trident.
Six of the chapters are in Bryton's perspective.
There are three chapters that are shown from people outside of the Badics family. See below for who those people are.
They are Edmure Tully and Smalljon Umber

If you would like to know anything else feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Finally caught up on this, great job! I think you're doing really well at capturing the medieval way of life from multiple perspectives.

Looking forward to seeing where the next Lord goes now that Sherman Tank of a knight Paul is gone. And how on earth did a Baratheon end up King of the Iron Isles?