• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darkath

Scholar-Official
93 Badges
Apr 9, 2012
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III Referal
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Victoria 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Magicka
  • Magicka 2
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
Seeing as the land combat as not changed very much from EU3, i don't really get my hopes up for naval combat, but i wonder what improvements are coming, because in my opinion naval warfare in EU3 always was kind of silly, with huge doomstacks of warships sailing around, the pirates who were kind of a big deal in the era are just a minor annoyance really easy to deal with.

I think a great improvement would be taking some mechanics from HOI, such as Positioning and the way ships engage each other, ideally in a way that "simulate" the line-of-battle combat of the 1600-1800 era.

Having positionning matter for naval combat would avoid stupid doomstacks of 200 ships being too effective, as those ships wouldn't realistically be able to move en engage targets in a relatively small area, and worse if we add friendly fire penalties,
Basically this would restrict stupid stacks, in a similar way that land battle have a front width that limit the number of effective soldier at a given time in a battle.

From the screens we have seen so far, it seems they kept the system identical to EU3, but i hope we can expect this will be improved later down the line...

I think trade nations will have to split their navy in order to defend their trade routes / keep the good bonuses.

Something that bothered me was the lack of an automatic repair function for the ships that were on auto-patrol. A pain in the neck to go through all those if you had colonized the entire north american continent for example.

Something that bothered me was the lack of an automatic repair function for the ships that were on auto-patrol. A pain in the neck to go through all those if you had colonized the entire north american continent for example.

On the other hand, you don't need auto patrol against pirates in DW.

The doomstack versus doomstack warfare isn't that much fun. It would be great if there was some relation between technology and how big your fleet could be while still being coordinated efficiently. So that creating even larger fleets would give diminishing returns.

The doomstack versus doomstack warfare isn't that much fun. It would be great if there was some relation between technology and how big your fleet could be while still being coordinated efficiently. So that creating even larger fleets would give diminishing returns.

Rather than technology, maybe leader skills should matter. That way a huge british fleet lead by a bad admiral could face a catastrophe if face with a smaller but much more efficient fleet.

Like so.
gameofthrones3wildfire.jpg

Basically, without going as far as reworking entirely the core system (i guess by now the game is already feature complete), simple stacking penalty modifiers would be a huge improvement.

I don't care for penalties for fleet size, per se. Better would simply be a cap on the number of ships which may engage. So, while you may have 500 ships present, only, say 70 (max) would really fight. If you win, the whole fleet continues on; but if you lose, they ALL retreat. That'd get rid of the worst case battle problems.