+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Naval Warfare ?

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Naval Warfare ?

Seeing as the land combat as not changed very much from EU3, i don't really get my hopes up for naval combat, but i wonder what improvements are coming, because in my opinion naval warfare in EU3 always was kind of silly, with huge doomstacks of warships sailing around, the pirates who were kind of a big deal in the era are just a minor annoyance really easy to deal with.

I think a great improvement would be taking some mechanics from HOI, such as Positioning and the way ships engage each other, ideally in a way that "simulate" the line-of-battle combat of the 1600-1800 era.

Having positionning matter for naval combat would avoid stupid doomstacks of 200 ships being too effective, as those ships wouldn't realistically be able to move en engage targets in a relatively small area, and worse if we add friendly fire penalties,
    Basically this would restrict stupid stacks, in a similar way that land battle have a front width that limit the number of effective soldier at a given time in a battle.

From the screens we have seen so far, it seems they kept the system identical to EU3, but i hope we can expect this will be improved later down the line...

Crusader Kings II

I think trade nations will have to split their navy in order to defend their trade routes / keep the good bonuses.

Second Lieutenant
    Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Something that bothered me was the lack of an automatic repair function for the ships that were on auto-patrol. A pain in the neck to go through all those if you had colonized the entire north american continent for example.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Jon5738 View Post
    Something that bothered me was the lack of an automatic repair function for the ships that were on auto-patrol. A pain in the neck to go through all those if you had colonized the entire north american continent for example.
    On the other hand, you don't need auto patrol against pirates in DW.
    If you want to always be right,
    you need to always be prepared to change your mind.

Back from moderation hell midget_roxx's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Naval combat definitely needs some inprovement. Maybe even hoi2 style positioning?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The doomstack versus doomstack warfare isn't that much fun. It would be great if there was some relation between technology and how big your fleet could be while still being coordinated efficiently. So that creating even larger fleets would give diminishing returns.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Quote Originally Posted by Stadhouder View Post
    The doomstack versus doomstack warfare isn't that much fun. It would be great if there was some relation between technology and how big your fleet could be while still being coordinated efficiently. So that creating even larger fleets would give diminishing returns.
    Rather than technology, maybe leader skills should matter. That way a huge british fleet lead by a bad admiral could face a catastrophe if face with a smaller but much more efficient fleet.

Like so.

Basically, without going as far as reworking entirely the core system (i guess by now the game is already feature complete), simple stacking penalty modifiers would be a huge improvement.

Ruler of the Queen's Navee George LeS's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

I don't care for penalties for fleet size, per se. Better would simply be a cap on the number of ships which may engage. So, while you may have 500 ships present, only, say 70 (max) would really fight. If you win, the whole fleet continues on; but if you lose, they ALL retreat. That'd get rid of the worst case battle problems.
    'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.' -- the Water Rat

GRIN Mod--Historical leaders mods: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...46994-GRIN-Mod

Rex Maris--SRI-based naval and exploration mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...4#post11451354

+ Reply to Thread