• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Please Regina, state clearly that sellers different from Steam just sell steam activation codes NOT THE ACTUAL GAME. I have just bought it at gg and... Surprise, i have just bought an activation code for Steam

Please Regina, state clearly that sellers different from Steam just sell steam activation codes NOT THE ACTUAL GAME. I have just bought it at gg and... Surprise, i have just bought an activation code for Steam

Shame you didnt read these lines from the product page on GG, it seems quite clear:

"Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement, including the Subscription Terms. The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software"
"C. Termination by Valve.
Valve may cancel your Account or any particular Subscription(s) at any time."

So yeah, we are no longer buying PI games, we're just paying for the privilege to play them as long as Valve see fits.
That being said, I do have over 60 games on Steam, and I also know that Steam is only necessary to activate PI games and then we can play them offline.
Still, I don't like this new direction, no DRM was one of the reasons a lot people loved PI games.

"Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement, including the Subscription Terms. The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software"
"C. Termination by Valve.
Valve may cancel your Account or any particular Subscription(s) at any time."

So yeah, we are no longer buying PI games, we're just paying for the privilege to play them as long as Valve see fits.
That being said, I do have over 60 games on Steam, and I also know that Steam is only necessary to activate PI games and then we can play them offline.
Still, I don't like this new direction, no DRM was one of the reasons a lot people loved PI games.

If they have DRM now you cant install them and forget about Steam. You will have to be online (yes, I know there is an offline mode, but it fails a lot)

Guys there are lots of threads discussing issues related to the pros and cons of steam already, please use one of them for this type of discussion and leave this thread about where to buy the game.

Links to external sites are not allowed

I haven't read every post here so forgive me if its already been said but why cant I buy this from GameStop? It says US and Canada only. this is not fair. I hate steam. I live in the country side in the UK so my download speeds are not great. Anything I download from Steam takes me 3 days (no I am not exaggerating!) I downloaded HOI3 and FTM, TFH in a couple of hours via Game Stop and have always had much better download speeds from game stop. Steam is just awful and I refuse to buy anymore games via Steam for many reasons now. I don't mind DRM going via steam I can live with that authentication bit but I don't want to wait 3 days waiting for my game to download, clogging up my connection and getting me into trouble with my service provider for excessive downloads. I have 7 meg speed download but on Steam its no better than 100 kbps (average around 58kps) even when I change steam servers outside the UK. I have been through their support service and they were useless and evasive. Most service providers in the UK appear to be traffic managing them because they use peer to peer traffic for something.

Paradox please find another way. Steam are just a nightmare. I want to buy your games but if I have to use Steam my money will go elsewhere and my high praise for paradox will vanish. My opinion wont matter to you but I feel better for voicing it. Thanks.

Darion I dont know the precise situation with why it isnt available through GameStop, but all they would be doing is issuing you a steam code, which you would have to download from - yes, Steam.

At least I havent heard if the game is available as a download through another digital distributor.

As for your opinion, yes it does matter... to them, as it would to any retailer worth their salt. Im sure that if it makes financial sense they would consider any variety of distribution.

Whether there is an alternative they will have to tell you. All I have heard is that there is a physical retail copy being made available for the German market. If you are eager to play the game you may wish to try and track one down through a webshop or amazon or other eshop platform.

I've just seen that a site I've used in the past to buy Mac versions of Paradox titles which aren't on Steam, (such as EU III Chronicles) has a Mac version of March of the Eagles up, but I haven't heard or seen any sign that Paradox or a third party were making a mac version, so just to be sure before I blow $20 on a game that might not work, I wanted to ask here if anyone at Paradox can confirm that they or an affiliated third party have made a mac port?

Paradox have not made a Mac port of this game. Virtual Programming www.vpltd.com did all Mac ports before CK2 came along (including EU3), and none since that I'm aware of. Without posting an actual link, what site was this that you saw?

I object that I cannot buy the game downloaded on my PC
I believe this is restrictive trade practice, that I have to use a game server to use the game

I havent tried this myself but you should be able to play without having the steam client installed. The client is only needed for delivery of the s/w and subsequent patches. It is afterall an efficient way for the publisher to distribute their product and the developers to distribute their patches.

Once the game has been downloaded you can move the game folder to another place on your hdd (if you so wish) and use the game exe to play the game. At this point you can uninstall or disable steam... as the game doesnt have achievements for one.

So all you use steam for is dling the game. And you dont have to buy from Steam. IIRC if you purchase the game from another outlet, you just get the steam code... AND Ive actually seen a physical retail copy being sold at my local family store here in the UK. So depending on where you live you may also have the option to purchase elsewhere. But must be connected to steam to install the product.

Lets not turn this thread into a Ilike/dislike Steam thread... there are plenty of those about the forum...

Added into to first post about Mac Port.