• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(41953)

Recruit
Mar 23, 2005
Hi there,

I'm thinking about buying this game, because I'm a fan of Jane's Fleet Command.

How Buggy is this game really? The savegame matter might be acceptable, but how about this inevitable crash/freeze bug I read about, is it still in the final Version? If yes, it would make the game close to unplayable... Are there some other major bugs most of the players suffer from?

Thanks for some of your experiences with the final Version...

Buy it.

I finished both campaigns and all the single missions before last update.
advantages:
- Time can be accelerated more than in Fleet command.
- The interface is much better than in the Fleet command.
Cons:
- The altitude of aircraft flight does not affect the speed and fuel consumption
- Sometimes jams in the larger missions (helps deterioration graphics, especially the area that can be done during the mission)

The game status was officially declared as "end of active development" which actually means "end of life". If you are lucky - you will able to play it, but most probably you will end up with freezing bug. Game is very simple in comparison to JFC or Harpoon and some aspects are just missing (vertical launch systems are acting as forward facing ones, land ones always launching to the north, missiles follow level 1 chase curve only and so on and on). If you are looking for a simple game to just get hang on naval operations - you can buy it. If you are expecting more complex naval simulator - anything in that class is a better choice.

And no - the freezing bug is not fixed and will not be fixed.

Freezing bug

I have way for "freezing bug". When the game begins to freeze I reduce the 3D graphics (especially the terrain graphics). If it does not help completely turn off 3D graphics. This can be done during the mission.

I have 3D turned off altogether. It doesn't help in my case at all. There is mem leak somewhere in the code, so if you are lucky - it will just slow down. If not - will crash. I tested it on 7 different PCs and there is no correlation with system specs nor CPU or OS. The only thing I was able to play longer was when the machine was freshly installed and clean (no additiona software installed) and most of the services down. Still it didn't survive assigning patrol route for multiple groups of planes.

There is mem leak somewhere in the code, so if you are lucky - it will just slow down. If not - will crash.
Agreed. If I play long enough, I eventually run into a "Heap Stack error" (or something like that).

[WTN]Manhattan;15025044 said:
Maybe I should try the demo...

However, does anyone know a good simulation of modern naval warfare? This genre is quite underrepresented...
You can try Harpoon. There are demos available for it, too. It is a bug-infested mess, but NWAC makes Harpoon look good.

You may try Harpoon; it's pretty good, but very old in graphic and design.

Otherwise you can wait for "Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations" (previously called Red Pill) in development by WarfareSims.com that will be distributed by Matrix. It should be finished within this year (hopefully) and might be much better (we hope).

Don't buy it

[WTN]Manhattan;15019721 said:
Hi there,

I'm thinking about buying this game, because I'm a fan of Jane's Fleet Command.

How Buggy is this game really? The savegame matter might be acceptable, but how about this inevitable crash/freeze bug I read about, is it still in the final Version? If yes, it would make the game close to unplayable... Are there some other major bugs most of the players suffer from?

Thanks for some of your experiences with the final Version...

It's buggy and unfinished. The lack of a save-game is the final nail in the coffin. Play Harpoon instead.

Don't buy it

Oh, and their community relations suck - releasing the game unfinished I can accept (I'm a HOI3 player), but not then going ahead to finish it, instead just ditching the project, is unacceptable. Don't reward this kind of behaviour.

I tried the demo. Actually the game itself is not so bad, but I got the freezing bug. That in combination with the savegame issue is just unacceptabel and close to infamy concerning that there won't be no more patches. I won't buy it unless it is 75% off on steam (would be a nice makeshift).

"Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations" looks nice,seems to be a good game...

When you talk about Harpoon, do you really mean Harpoon or Harpoon 3?

Maybe I will try something like Jutland or Ironclads in the meanwhile...

[WTN]Manhattan;15034848 said:
When you talk about Harpoon, do you really mean Harpoon or Harpoon 3?
The Harpoon bundle of games sold by Matrix includes both the Harpoon (Classic) and Harpoon 3 games. You cannot purchase them separately any longer. If you have trouble differentiating between them, check out:

Harpoon Classic and Harpoon3 Comparison

[WTN]Manhattan;15034848 said:
Maybe I will try something like Jutland or Ironclads in the meanwhile.
Jutland by Storm Eagle Studios has customer support even worse than NWAC. Here, you are just ignored. There, you are actively accused of piracy if anything goes wrong with their game or DRM system and you dare to register a complaint.

If you are interested in WW1 naval warfare, you might like to try Steam and Iron.

Other Wargames: Steam and Iron

Every time I load up NWAC, I end up playing Harpoon. I do like the 'eye candy' of NWAC, but the number of platforms is limited compared to Janes or Harpoon. I was a big supporter of NWAC, but stopping development just killed my enthusiasm for the game.

"Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations" is going to be the new gold standard for the genre IMHO, and I am waiting as patiently as possible for it's release. There is also Global Conflict Blue, a free game that was available when Command was still called Red Pill. It's actually quite good, and I highly suggest you check it out.

Yep. I wish I read this topic before I bought game on this 75% sale. Freezes all the time. Unplayable. Thank you Paradox. This is 2nd dissapointment after HoI 3 series, where bugginess was all around. No more games from this publisher unless they start caring a bit more.

P.S.
By the way, how dare they to still sell it, since it does not have any support and is for most players unplayable!

Last edited:
Yep. I wish I read this topic before I bought game on this 75% sale. Freezes all the time. Unplayable. Thank you Paradox. This is 2nd dissapointment after HoI 3 series, where bugginess was all around. No more games from this publisher unless they start caring a bit more.

P.S.
By the way, how dare they to still sell it, since it does not have any support and is for most players unplayable!

I can excuse HOI3 because, after TFH, it finally became the game it should have been on release. NWAC never lived up to its promise.

And yes, Paradox should stop selling this piece of junk.

I can excuse HOI3 because, after TFH, it finally became the game it should have been on release. NWAC never lived up to its promise.

And yes, Paradox should stop selling this piece of junk.

Huh, I almost bought it...
Thanks a lot guys for the warning.
Hope East v. West will a great game.