• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm playing this mod right now, and it's even better than I've ever imagined!

By the way, guys, everyone knows that throwing money at the screen doesn't work anymore. You have to stick a couple hundred dollar bills into the CD ROM. Otherwise, you'll just be sitting here like a dork, not playing this mod.

Great job, guys! Can't wait for the next update!

Excellent idea, im going to try this right now!

EDIT: hmmm, my blueray drive now makes some funny noises. this dosnt sound good :/ and what is even worse, still no access to the mod :(

And now for the second-last post on the War of the Ring:

It is still the year 11368, and war rages across the continent.

Galadriel seems to be on top of things in Lorien - though she has lost 1000 elves, the orcish armies are pretty much defeated:

Saruman seems to have beaten back the Ents however, or at the very least, it'll end in a white peace now I think:

(I didn't see what happened to the 20k event-army from Fangorn... possibly they suicided themselves on the walls of Isengard, they're a lvl 11 fort, and you do NOT want to assault that - ever)

But now back to Gondor. The enemy STILL sends troops against it, but the armies of the West are holding. (Aragorn is just sitting there because he is not part of that war, after Umbar surrenders, but I think I made a pick-up so that he joins Gondors wars again in 11369 which should be any day now - like we said, this is a working alpha, though I'm pleasantly surprised at how the War of the Ring even-chain works, it is not perfect by any means but 4 months ago I didn't know anything about scripting at all, so bear with me):

Ahh yes, there the event is, just a few days later !

Now, forth Gondorians - ELENDIL!

Aragorn leads his 24k militia-army against 20,000 enemies, half of them battle-hardened men from the deserts of Harad who neither ask nor give any quarter:

He is joined by the main Gondorian army, and once the heavily armored professional soldiers arrive to assist, the enemy is utterly routed:

(Yet still only war score 63% after this battle, damn, Mordor has a lot of troops... they just keep coming! - and btw, I'm obviously using the fog of war cheat for this AAR to show gameplay)

More Balchoths and Rhun-ians on the way as well... Can't you see it's over, Sauron? You've got a huge eye, just look around!

While Aragorn and Gondor keep fighting off enemy hosts (and winning), Rohan also goes on the offensive, to take back the lands that Saruman took from them in 11363 in his initial assault:

And finally, Sauron gives up, his armies in disarray, any hope of victory in this assault long gone:

And now, having played an instrumental (well - decently large!) part in the victory against Sauron's hordes, and with the people of Gondor all having heard that the King has returned and is wielding the sword of Elendil, Denethor has little choice but to accept the inevitable. Besides, Imrahil is Aragorn's father-in-law, and Imrahil's word carries a lot of weight in the southern parts of Gondor. (Normally, Denethor would be dead from suicide at this point and Faramir would be Steward, but since Boromir survived - even if maimed - he has something to live for. I didn't make an event-chain for him to refuse to give Aragorn the crown, and I'm not sure it's realistic either to do so either, the people are all fired up about the return of the king).

And now the conclusion!

Year 11369

Aragorn has just been crowned High King of Gondor and Arnor. The lands to the North are integrated into his new Kingdom, and now there is finally money and resources to actually colonize it in his lifetime! :

His new vassals also seem to like him, and due to his own very high martial (24), and a Marshall with 28 (!) skill, Gondor's military potential is almost fully
twice as high as it was under Denethor! (Vassal opinions are too high though, yes, he's the King Returned, but he has some items which we will need to nerf
when it comes to relationship opinion bonuses).

The line of Stewards keep the lands of West Osgiliath that they held in defense for so long:

A player-Steward cannot refuse the Return of the King, but he can secretly decide that he is not welcome, and then he gets a claim on E_Gondor which may or
may not be used to plot against Aragorn (But why is his heir not Faramir, and instead some new 7-year old son? Weird...) .

Up in the North, it seems the Bardings led by King Brand's son, Bard, are attempting a revolt against their new overlords, perhaps heartened by the news of Gondor's victory? Alas, it looks like it is being crushed.

Year 11370

After a few weeks, and having getting settled in, Aragorn's thoughts turn to Frodo. He must still be hiding somewhere and unable to get into Mordor, because Sauron isn't destroyed, and nor has he gotten his ring back!

Aragorn decides to make a gamble (this is actually the most dangerous part, I think there is 15-20% chance of Sauron getting the ring, even now):

You can also at this point decide to not risk Frodo getting caught, and go looking for him, bringing him back to Minas Tirith for safe-keeping indefinitely.

For Frodo... :

(The Rohirrim are also invited to join the assault on Mordor)

Of course, whenever someone attacks Mordor and Sauron is alive, he calls in all his allies amongst the easterlings and southrons:

Let's hope this distraction is enough for Frodo to sneak into Mordor and finally destroy that ring...

Aaaand it was!

Sauron is destroyed, and Mordor splits into bickering realms. Mordor is now run by... Dark Lord Gazfimbul? Well good luck trying to hang on to that title,
you've got some big shoes to fill!

And thus ends our tale of Aragorn, last heir of the Kings of Men, and the War of the Ring.

PS: Aragorn's first act as King was to raise taxes. Re-building the North Realm is going to be expensive, after all, and you gotta spend your political capital while you still have it...

As you can see, there are some balance-of-forces issues here and there, but these are easy enough to tweak until we get it right! The mod is functional now, at least,
the gameplay dynamics can be worked out as needed.

Oh one thing to ask. Is it possible in the Alpha build to form Arnor or one of its Kingdoms independently with Aragorn yet?

You mean without getting it via the "crowned King" event? Sure, Arnor is a de jure Empire on the map, so you'd need the vanilla conditions, which I don't know what are.. but something like 66% of held territory? Same with Arthedain, Cardolan, and Rhudaur - anyone can form them, really, if they have the provinces needed to do so.

Talking about the subject, are there events in the alpha for when Aragorn seizes the ring. Or for that matter, for other characters that could've taken the ring from Frodo?

Can you also play the Ring quest as Frodo? It could be implemented the same as the Dany events in AGOT.

You can play as Frodo, yes, and get all the ring events from his perspective. They're just normal events, because he's a landed character and has the county of Hobbiton. While it may be interesting to see in one playthrough, I kind of rushed through that event-chain, and he has very limited options (if any) to make any changes to his quest.

And no, I don't think I'll get around to making events for other characters to take the ring before we release. I mean the event is there for them to take it, and if Boromir takes it and Aragorn becomes king he either gets arrested or flees to Umbar, but besides that, no :)

Well technically that event was shown above, when Aragorn becomes High King of Arnor and Gondor (both de jure empire titles). But yes, the lands are called Gondor still, and not the Re-United Kingdom. We may make a titular Empire title at some point and give that to Aragorn, called the "Re-United Kingdom".

Well technically that event was shown above, when Aragorn becomes High King of Arnor and Gondor (both de jure empire titles). But yes, the lands are called Gondor still, and not the Re-United Kingdom. We may make a titular Empire title at some point and give that to Aragorn, called the "Re-United Kingdom".

Yep, and the titular title is already in the mod Blood ;)

awesome..

Just awesome.

Maybe some sort of event to destroy the titles of gondor and arnor and turn them (de-jure) into the re-united kingdoms?

Ahhh, did not know that Lonhaldar!

And nah, Zero, it makes better sense to keep E_Gondor and E_Arnor in case Aragorn or his descendants at some point wants to delegate lands to their sons - ie, one rules the north, the other rules the south, while the primary heir inherits the titular title E_Reunited_Kingdom :)

I have an idea !
Like you know : Arnor wants to say "Land of the Kings" in sindarin, Gondor wants to say "Land of Stone".
Nor/Dor wants to say "Land", Gon "Stone" and Ar "Kings/Royal".
So for the Re-United kingdom we can use : Arderthador/Arderthanor who will says literraly "The Reunited Lands" ==> Reunited kingdom. (Adertha = Reunite)

Personally I prefer the "Re-United Kingdom", most people - myself included! - don't speak Sindarin, so we wouldn't know what it meant when you were suddenly High King of Arderthador.

The months in our mod are also in Sindarin, but I just find that confusing :ninja:

It could be used as the elven localisation for that title, however, in case any elves suddenly return their people to supremacy and usurp the realms of men!

Personally I prefer the "Re-United Kingdom", most people - myself included! - don't speak Sindarin, so we wouldn't know what it meant when you were suddenly High King of Arderthador.

The months in our mod are also in Sindarin, but I just find that confusing :ninja:

It could be used as the elven localisation for that title, however, in case any elves suddenly return their people to supremacy and usurp the realms of men!

There is no attested Sindarin or Quenya name for the Reunited Kingdom / Two Kingdoms.
Besides *Arderthanor (which would likely compress to *Ardernor or similar and be *Ceutador/*Ceutanor in Quenya?) other possibilities would be *Attador/-nor (Two-land), or *Vinyador (New Land).
Honestly a case could be made for the name Kingdom of Endor/Endórë as it would eventually rule over all of known Middle-earth, with Rohan and Dale as tribatory regions, and the Shire and Dwarvish, and Elvish regions as protectorates.

I have an idea !
Like you know : Arnor wants to say "Land of the Kings" in sindarin, Gondor wants to say "Land of Stone".
Nor/Dor wants to say "Land", Gon "Stone" and Ar "Kings/Royal".
So for the Re-United kingdom we can use : Arderthador/Arderthanor who will says literraly "The Reunited Lands" ==> Reunited kingdom. (Adertha = Reunite)

Non, et puis pardon hein, mais Arderthador, c'est impossible à prononcer, et moche surtout! ;)
Seriusly, i agree with Blood, the Reunited Kingdom should stay "the Reunited Kingdom", or at least "Kingdom of Numenor in exile", but 3000 years later, will be a little weird...

But Blood, as the Reunited Kingdom, Gondor and Arnor are all empire level, if we give to one son Arnor, he'll certainly be independant, no? Or can we make the Reunited Kingdom a "Super-Empire" level?

I plan on renaming my eventual Noldor Empire to Vincarnanór, which translates as 'The Renewed Land" in Quenya.

Sindarin is, like, so lowbrow.

Sindarin names would be better for sure. Also, Durin's Folk, it sounds... maybe good for hobbit bumpkins, but not for Khazad.

Btw. if Frodo gets imprisoned for "safekeeping", will there be option to castrate him? You know, this is CK, there is danger of him breeding more of that...

I plan on renaming my eventual Noldor Empire to Vincarnanór, which translates as 'The Renewed Land" in Quenya.

Sindarin is, like, so lowbrow.

LOL.

Oh, and you're right Lon, that wouldn't work... they're all Empire titles.

And no, no castration of hobbits in the mod - yet :p

Status
Not open for further replies.