• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redit

futilitarian
102 Badges
Oct 10, 2010
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
A Third Age Middle Earth Mod

The Middle Earth Project is a full conversion mod for Crusader Kings 2 by Tolkien fans, for Tolkien fans.

MEP 0.8.1b for 2.7.x (13/07/2017)

Older versions:
Download MEP 0.6b FULL [CK2 2.5.x] (18/07/2016)
{mirror}

MEP 0.7b for 2.6.x

PROGRESS
0.8b has been released (12/07/2017), full details here.
The mod is currently in open beta, and can be downloaded above.

This is a BETA and there will be bugs. Nothing is set in stone and
we will appreciate any input that you think might improve the mod.
INSTALLATION
FIRST INSTALLATION (FULL) :
1/ Download the mod, and open the .rar file with Winrar or any similar software.
2/ Extract all the files in the archive directly to your "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings 2/mod" directory.
3/ Launch the game, select the mod and enjoy!

UPDATE INSTALLATION (PATCH) :
1/ Download the patch,and open the .rar file with Winrar or any similar software.
2/ Extract all the files in the archive directly to your "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings 2/mod" directory, overwriting the previously installed mod files.
3/ Launch the game, select the mod and enjoy!

MAJOR UPDATE INSTALLATION (FULL) :
1/ Delete the old version of your mod and it's cache from "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusaders Kings II/mod/MiddleEarthProject Beta" and "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusaders Kings II/MiddleEarthProject" and
2/ Follow the steps for FIRST INSTALLATION above.
CHANGELOG
Code:
Latest changelog.[/CENTER]
Ok folks, the main branch is updated to 0.8b, I put link to a dropbox with the version in my signature and redit is going to update the front page with another link to a dropbox with the version. Here is the changelog:

### 0.8b
- Advanced the version to 0.8
- Updated the credits
- Migrated the Palantiri from traits to artifacts
- Added pictures and linked the localisations for the new palantir artifacts (note the the pictures are placeholders until we get something better)
- Updated all events and decisions dealing with palantir traits

I've done cursory testing and flipped through all the bookmarks and the palantiri seem to be behaving as intended but more testing is needed. Please post about any bugs with this version so they can be fixed promptly. Oh, and make sure you have a 'clean' copy before posting bugs, sometimes there are issues with just copy and replacing.

[CENTER]
FEATURES
-Immersive Middle Earth experience, including cultural, religious and flavour events in keeping (as far as possible) with the lore and canon.
-Fully realised Middle Earth map with over 650 land provinces.
-Full dynasties and histories of Middle Earth, including genetic traits and bloodlines.
-New playable races including elves, dwarves, orcs, halflings and more.
-Play through a variety of bookmarks in the Third Age of Middle Earth including the fall of Arnor, the Kinstrife and the War of the Ring.
-Totally new and original crests and other artwork immersing you in our take on the Lord of the Rings
GAMEPLAY
-Plots are restricted for certain cultures, some of these restrictions end either when Sauron is destroyed via the ring quest, or if the year is 11390.
-Some units from certain cultures are very powerful, but there are fewer of them. Others, like orcs, are weaker but there are many more of them.
-Some events (such as when Mordor or Gondor is conquered and the nobles/provinces change cultures or are expelled MAY lead to a crash to desktop if your computer is a bit dated). The solution is to reload, play at speed 1, and let the event take its course, then you can speed up again.
-This is a late alpha/early beta. There may be some issues because of that - please report them in our mod forum, or on the main thread on the Paradox forums
-The mod is NOT fully tested for balance. We will need your feedback to get the mix right so it is challenging and fun for all sides.
FAQ
The Mod

Which bookmarks will be available?
There are three bookmarks currently available; The Fall of Arnor, The Kinstrife, and the War of the Ring. We also plan to include bookmarks for The Last Alliance, A New Shadow (Fourth Age), The Invasion of the Wainriders, and The Quest for Erebor, but for now we work on stability and expanding the current bookmarks. There is also a First Age 'expansion' in the works.

How large will the map be?
The map currently covers the main areas of Tolkien's Middle Earth, from the edges of Forodwaith in the North to the Dune Sea in the South, and from the Rhun in the East to Lindon in the West. Numenor and Beleriand are also on the map, sunken beneath the waves, all except a few islands, once mountain peaks.

What languages is the mod available in?
The mod currently has English and French localisations. There are also Italian, German, Czech and Spanish localisations in development. If you wish to work on localising the mod please PM me or Lonhaldor.

Are any DLCs required to run MEP?
It is highly recommended to have at least the Old Gods, Republic and the Legacy of Rome for the best experience.

When will the mod be released?
It has been! Go and download it!

Isn't there another Middle Earth mod?
This mod is being developed independently from any other LotR or Middle Earth mods out there.

Installation

Why doesn't my mod appear in the CK2 launcher?
You need to have two things in your "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/mod" folder :
- The MiddleEarthProject folder
- The MiddleEarthProject.mod file
If one of these files is missing, please make sure extracted them! If you don't have them in your archive, try to redownload the archive from one of the links in moddb. To be sure to have all your files, use Winrar!

I've got blank events, and I can't play at all!
This issue occurs as a result of a wrong installation. Please make sure you install the mod in "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/mod", and not in the game folder. If you've got this issue, remove your current installation of the mod, and install it as described above.

Some weird characters are present, like Emperor William of Mordor instead of Sauron, why?
This issue is also because of a wrong installation. Please be sure to install your mod in "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/mod", and not in the game folder. If you've got this issue, remove your current installation of the mod, and install it as described above.
SUBMODS
- Graphical Cultures for MEP 0.3.1b (Cultural DLC Sprites)
MEDIA
Screenshots
ck2_11-43396b4.png
Artwork
DEV DIARIES
CREDITS
A list of people who have worked on this mod since development started, and credits for artwork and music.

Core Team
-redit - Map, General additions
-Lonhaldar - Flags, Portraits, History work, General additions
-Nukumnehtar - History
-Chris93 - History, Events Scripting, Gameplay Mechanics
-BloodRoyal - History, Events Scripting, Gameplay Mechanics
-Morodin - Events
-cziken20
-DevilSauron

Contributors/Past Team Members
-ilikepie - History
-Derrick Moore
-Frostschaden - Colonisation mechanics
-Morgothic
-King Conor
-Alaxsxaq
-Klyvare
-DutchGuy - Tester
-Astion
-ThePinkPanzer
-Elfman200
-keynes2.0
-Krayt - Event fixes
-Protector87 - Events
-rjcs.silva
-Anon90
-dherve10 - History, Research
-Athoen - Buildings, Balance

-Donspagelgetti- Deutsch/German - WIP
-Chris93- Italiano/Italian - WIP
-Morgoths - Čeština/Czech - WIP
-Jaume-lld - Español/Spanish - WIP

External Contributors
-Korbah (Elder Kings)
-Mark Fisher (Encyclopedia of Arda)
-Rickinator9 (clean vanilla events)
-JonStryker (Map generator tool)
-Talias (Witcher mod UI)
-ancestral (Aniron map font)
-AnaxXiphos (Trait icons)
-hooni (Pledge Mod)

Artwork
-Michael Zimmerman - Drawings, Paintings, Artworks
-Noah Bradley - Paintings
-Nick Deligaris - Paintings
-Steamey - Paintings
-Woutart - Paintings
-Raymond Gaustadnes - Paintings

Soundtrack
-Morgan Casey - Rhovanion Alliance/Elven Alliance Mod Soundtrack

A special thanks to the person who made this entire mod possible: J.R.R. TOLKIEN

I have probably missed out some one who helped or contributed at some point, just let me know and I will add you to the list.
THREADS
BUG REPORTS - SUGGESTIONS - AARs

Want to help?

JOIN THE TEAM

If you are an experienced event scripter who would like to help out with this ambitious project, contact redit or Lonhaldar here on the forums.​

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
good luck I already did a list of kings of rohan and their relations. http://www.mediafire.com/view/?8x83e3r91yeg145 You'll have to make some stuff up as Eomund (father of Eomer and Eowyn) is descended of Eofur who was son of the 2nd king of rohan I think. There's like a 8 generation gap or something. Also it'd be nice to just give the unnamed daughters some names to make it more complete.

Thank you, this would have been a big help some weeks ago! :D My own Eorl dynasty is nearly identical to yours!

Here are my ideas for the Chyan Empire:

Code:
Everlasting Sun Empire
    Western Chyan Kingdom
        Clyan 
            Clyan  
            Wotan
            Erwan
       Chy
           Chy
           Chuy
       Acaana
            Acaana
            Tstste
            Ewwar
   Eastern Chyan Kingdom
        Lodenuly
           Lodenuly
           Olyas Krils
           Kinampe
        Bulchyades
            Bulchyades
            Mentar
            Fuyan
            Alukluk
    Kingdom of Harshandatt

Mate, if you make a Middle Earth mod finally appear here, I will be forever in your debt...

People keep trying to make this mod but suddenly disappear (I believe the copyright ninja-assassins are behind it, but I cant prove it...)

Anyhow, good luck and Godspeed \o

Isn't there another one in the works?

There seem to have been, but they seem to have died.

Here are my ideas for the Chyan Empire

Wrong thread?

are you going to be making new graphics for all the characters and new event pics?

Eventually yes!

Mate, if you make a Middle Earth mod finally appear here, I will be forever in your debt...

People keep trying to make this mod but suddenly disappear (I believe the copyright ninja-assassins are behind it, but I cant prove it...)

Anyhow, good luck and Godspeed \o

Thankyou! Here's hoping they fail to assassinate this one.

In the same was as CK focuses on Europe, this mod will, at least to start with, focus on the area of Middle Earth known in the books. The rest is uncanon and made up by fans for the most part.

Reactions:
For areas without lords, you could use what the old Middle Earth mod was attempting. Making a seperate culture for the wildlife and using an image of a forest or something in the place of the character picture and leaving the lord with no name :) Then you'd make it so they can't have a claim on any land nor can evolve tecnology. Then have your lords defeat them in battle to simulate "colonization". It would work well I believe ^^

For areas without lords, you could use what the old Middle Earth mod was attempting. Making a seperate culture for the wildlife and using an image of a forest or something in the place of the character picture and leaving the lord with no name :) Then you'd make it so they can't have a claim on any land nor can evolve tecnology. Then have your lords defeat them in battle to simulate "colonization". It would work well I believe ^^
That is this mod. I constructed that forest/huorn picture. :)

P.S.: Reddit, you spelled Tolkien wrong in your opening post. ;)

That is this mod. I constructed that forest/huorn picture. :)

P.S.: Reddit, you spelled Tolkien wrong in your opening post. ;)

oooh, I see! Got confused with you changing thread :p Well, anyhow, good luck mate! Keep the dream alive (not the american one, the british anarcho-monarchist tolkienian one :p )

I'm doing the family trees for the kings of Gondor and Arnor, and was thinking, how can we represent the steward? There was always a steward, that could just be a council member (but he was steward for life, and it was hereditary!) But when the line of kings failed in Gondor, the steward took up all the offices of king but was never called king. How can this be represented?

Perhaps give only the Kings of Gondor a certain culture? Obviously without a relationship penalty, but then whoever holds the title "Kingdom of Gondor" will be called Steward if not of culture "x". Obviously this isnt perfect, as culture shifts would change the dynamics. Another option might be traits... I'm no modder, but it seems more of a localisation change than anything. Just look at SWMH2.0 with their uses of "Roi"s and "Rey"s.

Status
Not open for further replies.