• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

McBeanie

Second Lieutenant
30 Badges
Sep 6, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities in Motion 2
So, in my current game as Ireland (United it with Munster) there was a crusade for France, (One hundred years ago the King converted to Lollard, and the rest slowly converted as well) I, did what any good Christian would do and went with the Knights Hospitaller and all of my Demesne levies, everything was going fine, the French were being crushed, when suddenly,

ck2_1.jpg

...... How should I go about dividing these up exactly?

Go through all the baronies and generate a new baron for each one. Grant each baron the county in which his barony is, unless there's something wrong with him. Then find the better new counts and grant them duchies. You could also invite holy men or nobles to your court and assign them counties and then duchies along the same lines, or use courtiers already in your court. I personally like to have family members as vassals, but if you choose to do that then make sure neither they or their parents have claims on you. Just make sure everybody you give titles to is of your culture and religion (auto-generating or inviting will achieve this). Make sure that each count only has one county and that each duchy only contains counties dejure to it.

Also, note that one-count-per-county will often lead to instability, so it's good for early game, but you might want to plan on re-consolidating later. I'd also say keep some of your demesne in France as well to get access to more cities and possibly better tech, but that's your choice.

Family vassals are also fun, and contribute to your dynastic prestige. Also, you'll want to be the one creating duchy titles for the prestige boost, so don't let any count have an absolute majority in a duchy. Try to save them for when the prestige boost is helpful, as counts are plenty easy enough to rule over on their own.

When this happened to me (and I've done a lot of Crusades in my game, so happened a lot) I used the character finder, selected my culture, my religion and ruler no sorted by Stewardship and started to grant them lands. Check their traits the worsted are Ambitious and Envious, the other the more reddish one don't count for you.

I've adopted this strategy I do choose the character you wanted and:

1. Do you want to make him a feudal lord? Grand him a barony.
2. Do you want to make him a prince-bishop? Grand him a bishorship.
3. Do you want to make him a mayor? Grand him a city.

Then I filled the other slots of the county, then I've gone in the other counties of that Duky and repeated, I personally hate to see them fight between them so I give all the Counties of a Duky to only one and I make him Duke... at second of what first title you've given first to him you'd obtain a Duke, a Prince - Arch Bishop or a Doge in this way.

The only times I don't do this is if I've a courtier with a weak claim I could press in this case I give him only a Barony no more as he'll get land after, so he don't become too powerful.

If you become an Emperor after you could grant the Kingdom of France to the best vassal, better if he is of your dynasty so he'll add score, but it is better France is fractured before doing this maybe making more bigger Aquitania, Burgundy and Brittany of that they was: united Kingdom of France in my game did 111 K soldiers! A pain in the a**s when they revolted!

... or maybe in better to retain France as one of your title, I regrets to have not done this in my game.

Another thing you might want to consider is keeping some baronies to invite claimants for future expansion--Welsh and Scottish duchies look like prime targets for this.

Thanks for all the advice so far, later today when I have the time to play some more, I'll let you know how everything plays out.

Yikes these guys make this wayyy too complicted.

I holy war all the time. Important things to do is to make sure different people own different things as much as possible if you want to convert the religion faster (and get lesser religious penalties). When you get a 20-30 year penalty for religion having a count + a duke + a king all converting provinces is huge.

What I normally do is the following

Generate vassals for all bishops (you get piety)

Give all coastal regions to established mayors/doges at home -- preferably split apart.

The guy who likes you the least gets the doge titles.

Everyone has 100 with you now.

Do whatever you want with the internal ones. I generally give them to mayors too cuz I don't care about levees but you can give internal provinces to counts instead and make duchies inland. I prefer to let the coastal doges have control over everything simply because when you raise levees they all show up on the coast ;)

What do you mean by generating barons and bishops? How do I do that? That is different from inviting them right?

EDIT: Oh, figured it out, now to grant the remaining 17 counties.

Last edited:
What do you mean by generating barons and bishops? How do I do that? That is different from inviting them right?

Right click on the castle or church pic (when selecting a province), and one of the 3 icons that appear will allow you to generate a new baron or bishop, giving the selected holding to him.

When I conquer a new area like that, I just get a competent landless character from my country and make him a Duke of a Duchy and let him assign all the Counts, Barons and Mayors, etc. That way, he loves me forever and his vassals love him. Is there something wrong with doing it that way?

You make the duke a lot more powerful and he doesn't grant the land out as well. The land makes more money with people with high stewardship and technology is faster when they have high learning and especially with bishops.

Okay, so I granted the remaining counties to the best 17 of my 25 invited nobles and allocated the duchies to the kinsmen I had placed inside each of them. It's looks to be stable for now. Though there's no telling how long it will take to convert everything to Christianity. Unfortunately, it will be 19 years before I get full levies, and 14 years before I even get half.

You make the duke a lot more powerful and he doesn't grant the land out as well. The land makes more money with people with high stewardship and technology is faster when they have high learning and especially with bishops.

But if he likes me so much (since I give him all holdings in the Duchy) he's not likely to rebel, so it doesn't matter if he's powerful. As for only selecting the best people for each holding, well who has the time to micro-manage that? I usually end up with a vast Empire, so it really doesn't matter to me at all who is the count of Milan or what his stats are, so long as I keep on top of the vassal kings directly under me.

But if he likes me so much (since I give him all holdings in the Duchy) he's not likely to rebel, so it doesn't matter if he's powerful.

True, but his heir won't feel the same way.

Wait, you get the piety bonus for creating a bishop too? I thought it was only if you landed a courtier that you got it... Pleh! Oh well, I have still gotten rid of so many family claimants this way.

It's not a bad strategy, Hibernian. Having dukes with actual income and more than 1 demesne is valuable for a lot of reasons. There is less chance of ducal civil wars which prevent you from from changing laws and reduce your levies. There is more chance of the duke using his income to improve the region (i.e. more levy).

I sometimes do it, especially when I have a large number of duchies to give out and I'm feeling lazy and if I want to make sure every duchy is held by a dynasty member (I know, I'm a risk taker but it makes the game more interesting).

I find though, that if you hand out the counties individually then the dukes won't have much more power than their vassals and through the various game mechanics (factions and fabrication plots etc) the cream will rise to the top, ie the most capable dynasties will take the duchy titles and hold onto them.

Okay, so I granted the remaining counties to the best 17 of my 25 invited nobles and allocated the duchies to the kinsmen I had placed inside each of them. It's looks to be stable for now. Though there's no telling how long it will take to convert everything to Christianity. Unfortunately, it will be 19 years before I get full levies, and 14 years before I even get half.
Actually, your vassals are likely to convert at least a couple of provinces to your religion long before those 14 or 19 years. Once they do that, the "wrong religion" province modifier (which is the bad one, compared to "wrong culture") goes away immediately and the levy starts to fill up.