• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

darthfanta

Basileus Basileōn
67 Badges
Apr 22, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
As you all might know, a good number pagan religions practices polygamy. I was wondering if the religions that does have such practices be allowed to practice polygamy in game? The mongols for certain practices polygamy, even if they are tengriist--even though this is not what happens in the current game.

Should be easy to add. I mean... The Muslims have polygamy ingame.
Yep, but unlike Muslims, pagan religions in general don't really have a limit. I think the system might crash if something like this would happen with every single character.Hence, I was wondering if they would try anything like this at all.

Last edited:
Polyandry, polygyny, enacy, matrilinearity...
I thought polyandry was only found in the most extreme circumstances, like the Inuit. And the internet doesn't know what enacy is! :eek:

I thought polyandry was only found in the most extreme circumstances, like the Inuit. And the internet doesn't know what enacy is! :eek:
There are allusions to viking polyandry, and enacy is like agnacy but in reverse ;)

Well I don't know what you've read but most Pagan religions I know of, 'specially the European ones, do/did not practice Polygamy. The old Norse only had one wife, as did the Romuva and Slavonics. The Celts were the ones I know of that did, and even that seems more tied to culture than religion.

Well I don't know what you've read but most Pagan religions I know of, 'specially the European ones, do/did not practice Polygamy. The old Norse only had one wife, as did the Romuva and Slavonics. The Celts were the ones I know of that did, and even that seems more tied to culture than religion.

Then what is it with many Ásatrú kings having several secondary wives and at least one woman having two husbands?

Personally I would just allow them to have multiple wives, but limit them to, say, three. That way they have multiple wives, but the game doesn't get cluttered up with tons of people.

And they still would be too if it wasn't for that meddling pope.

Even the very Christianised Danish Kings at the start of the game only have bastards because they're weren't monogamous. But having a harem isn't the same thing as having multiple wives. Many of the Ottoman Sultans never married and the Danish bastards would imply something similar.

The important part is only giving it to religions which allowed it, for example, the Tengriists.

My guess is that they will just add an arbitrary limit (probably 4) but without any penalty for having less.

The idea that European pagans were more sexually permissive than Christians seems to mostly be invented by modern neo-pagans who want to hit on hot girls with Celtic necklaces.